Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

Which just goes to show how the Big Finish audios' cast, crew, writers, and style had a major influence on the development of the New Series.

Dude, I love you. You're the exact type of sincere, enthusiast fan I appreciate despite my cynical and bitter exterior. However, you've got to stop talking about Big Finish here and take it back to the regular thread. No one here cares about you promoting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

oh poo poo that pun wasn't on purpose. That made me seem like an even huger tool than I've already made myself seem. Jesus, I'm peacing out. I've made an rear end of myself, haven't I?

Nah man. Who cares at the end of the day? I'd just rather read about Big Finish in a thread that appreciates it and think your wasting your energy here. You're still cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How ironic that a thread made for shifting on Doctor Who has brought us all together as one big family. Now, lets go back to arguing about Moffat in the main thread.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Moffats sexism has nothing to do with that lovely text. That's all I have to say.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

If you dislike it that much and there is so much more stuff you actually genuinely want to see that you're missing out on because of this, why not just stop watching?

Forums fame or some poo poo like that probably.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Infamy, surely.

Nah, it was Brooklyn Bruiser that had it in for me.

...I'll find the door.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

kant posted:

Yeah, that about sums up Boom Town.. and really I hope all you anti-Moffat folks are remembering just how had things were. It's not like it gets better any time soon either.

No. Moffat has all the same problems with half the strengths.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Not that I think you care but RTD collaborated with a journalist to write a lengthy book that covers nearly his entire time working on Doctor Who and the idea of writing big, fun, dumb, crowd pleasing episodes is definitely intentional. Sure, he wanted to put in some commentary on reality TV, but he knows it's big and dumb commentary designed to please every member of a family audience on some level. Even the emotional moments are deliberately written to be big and dumb in a very self aware way.

I mean, were talking about the same writer who created Queer as Folk and The Second Coming. He can do serious and philosophical really well when it suits his audience.

RTD knew exactly what he was doing during Doctor Who - crowd pleasing, and wether you like it or not is entirely up to you, but I for one love it. He understands that Doctor Who is silly, campy fun and is better at doing it than most. A lot of fans loving hated it because their show has to taken seriously and tonally the head writer didn't do that at all.

Moffat unfortunately tries to balance this campiness with some of the most dour loving storylines ever, and the tonal class makes everything a loving mess.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

There really isn't anything more that needs to be said about that episode. It really is a camp classic.

This is generally true, but that doesn't mean he doesn't totally gently caress that up a lot of the time (Love and Monsters anyone?), nor does it explain his insane pet fondness for Rose.

This is also generally true, but then on the flip side when he writes an episode that is deliberately the exact opposite (Midnight) he knocks it out of the park too. I think, over all, his successes out weigh his failures.

The fondness for Rose is a bit confusing, but he does admit in the writers tale that the continued references to her as the show moves forward were a mistake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you telling me that in 2005 people were catching those words showing up again and again, speculating about what they meant, and then (and this is the important one!) were satisfied when the answer was revealed?

I find that kinda hard to believe but if you were there and witnessed it I will take your word for it.

E: I watched all of Who in 2011 so I am quite far removed from the original airings until the second half of season 6 and season 7.

Well the shows popularity sky rocketed in the second season and every major publication was shouting about how Torchwood was the new arc word, so the public at large loving loved it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I both 1)don't remember all of them offhand and 2)said "most"

Only three of them are good and there's been seven.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'd love to know how much you'd have to hate yourself to watch every Dr. Who episode closely enough to time Rose Tyler's speaking time

Probably about the same amount of hate as someone who would watch Doctor Who despite hating it for the amusement of some goons.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I feel like a worse person for knowing that now

I've been a massive Doctor Who fan for years, even before the revival and I've never heard that poo poo before.

:iiam:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Does anyone with more behind the scenes knowledge know why these were the only two episodes written by this particular writer? If a writer can pull off a two-parter as well as this one you'd think they'd bring the guy back for another round. Or did Rusty have to do a lot of work to salvage the scripts?

Writing isn't his full time job, most likely because the stars never aligned, so he works as a Producer instead which is a very time consuming job. It's possible that he wants to come back, and would be welcomed, but just has never been able to. Rusty must of liked his scripts because he invited him to write for Torchwood.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I really don't see how this follows

I can't tell if your joking about the quality of Torchwood or being genuine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

Are we allowed to just have a post that corrects your/you're if the same poster does it twice in a row?

Where did I also do it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Like a month ago. Dude holds a grudge, apparently.

Oh, Brooklyn, your usually less tightly wound than this. :downsrim:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Nah BB's alt is Screen Door Slams, Bown is a different dude.

Yeah, usually me and Bown are tight due to both being negative arseholes. He's just being picky, though I guess I appreciate the lesson.

Does Brooklyn really have an alt? He hasn't bothered me once if he does. I don't know how he'd resist.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

He stays out of TVIV for the most part since the doxx.

I really didn't like Pacific Rim, and Sherlock season three was poo poo. Just throwing that out there in case he's reading.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is Torchwood episode one the one where one of the heroes uses a mind control drug to rape people or is that episode two

That's episode one. It's actually the first thing we see Owen do practically.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

i dont want to watch doctor who any more

Thread over then?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, for gently caress's sake - the London Olympics are/were the exactsort of cultural cancer that the Doctor ought to be dismantling, like in Paradise Towers, The Happiness Patrol, or State of Decay. Watching the Doctor carry the Olympic Torch is one of the most wretched perversions I've ever observed.

You're not from the UK are you? I know you travelled over to Cardiff.

Because, look, I totally understand not liking the Olympics and what they do to some countries, and like every major development project the difficulties that arise, but culturally, they really, really were a positive thing for this country.

They did generate a nation wide sense of pride and community, and the increased focus on sports and youth activities is still being pushed to this day. It's something we are very proud of as a nation, and the Doctor carrying the torch might of been bad because it was sappy nonsense, but I don't think it was bad for reasons your attributing to it.

I mean, Christ, there's far more offensive views the Doctor and the series expresses over its run than the Olympics inspiring hope in a nation, especially coming less than a year after we had been bombed following the announcement we would be hosting them.

marktheando posted:

The writer of Fear Her said that he wrote the episode for his daughter, which is a bit weird when you look at the themes of the episode.

This isn't really fair, he actually agreed to write for Doctor Who because his daughter was a fan. He had to throw this episode together at the last minute when another one suffered production problems.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 6, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The over riding consensus on the Olympics was pretty much "how will we gently caress it up" for a very long time. Sure, it was a dismissive attitude and maybe wasn't held by the people who "cared" about the Olympics, but it was a widely held one.

Luckily it was a success right until that lovely closing ceremony, to the shock of many.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 6, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes, but the Doctor didn't "save" the Brazil World Cup, did he?

Well, he didn't save the IOC either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Didn't he, Marcus? Didn't he?

...I suppose, maybe not, not really. But I still don't like Fear Her. :colbert:

Me neither. But because it's just kind of dull. I do like the core concept though and think that if it had been given the time for a rewrite could've been pretty good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Davies only seems to ever have time for the one rewrite that he did on every non-Moffat episode. As The Writer's Tale testifies, there are first drafts that made it to screen.

I guess this is true, but all of the scripts still went from pitch, to outline, to page by page breakdown, etc. This one had to skip straight from pitch to script.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Also as a tangent it's worth mentioning here that there's at least one Moffat episode that was also a first draft that made it to screen, and it really really shows.

Also, Davis didn't start struggling to do multiple revisions until after his boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer if I recall correctly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mowglis Haircut posted:

A friend of mine played a Weeping Angel.

That's my story.

What's their first name? I might know them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Plavski posted:

Rusty has the biggest crush on him - he goes on and on about him in the book.

Understandably so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jurgan posted:

...a non-canonical Doctor Who TV movie from 1966 where Peter Cushing played the Doctor. I have not seen it, but by all accounts it's very strange.

Not really. Both Peter Cushing Doctor Who films are pretty good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure they were actual movies that came out in the cinema, not tv movies. Tv wasn't in colour yet then. Dalekmania was huge in the 60s.

This is true.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

The more I find out about RTD the more I like him. Truly he is the opposite of Moffat.

The Writers Tale is a genuinely good read.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe that secret was successfully kept. Well done

Well we all had noble intentions...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

This right here is the BEST part of the RTD era :allears: Donna is the best companion, bar none.

I'd argue it's the best part of the revival.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's Frobisher.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The Frobisher/Evelyn/Six Dream Team will now never come to pass :sad:

I was about to ask why this could never happen and then I remembered. drat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's kindof an amazing thing to not be spoiled on, I'm pretty sure I already knew way before it aired from the pre-season hype.

I guess it's pretty easy to avoid when you're streaming them on Netflix. Watching in the UK though we were bombarded with adverts and magazine's covers for months before the first episodes.

Speaking of which, the advert for this season is my favorite of the revival too, though I think it includes spoilers so I won't link it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Most of Orange is the New Black plays out like a fun sleep over where the parents are a little too strict for it to be relaxed.

My main problem with it is that none of the characters actually seem to hold a view point which isn't white as gently caress.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

petrol blue posted:

I hate Orange with a passion.

Whoever recommended this show to you is insane. It's one of the worst critical darlings I can remember right now. Frankly we both should've switched it off mid way through that God loving awful title sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Because it gives a nominal voice to minority low-class female characters in a way no other show is even willing to attempt.

I don't think it does a particularly good job of this but I can see why someone would disagree and enjoy the show.

• Locked thread