Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
As a Dallas resident recently returned after a few years in the wastelands of Austin*, I couldn't possibly say no.
(Also, fluff wise, i'm pretty astounded Ares isn't there, especially when we have Haliburton here in RL)

*(Shaddup, the latter has changed completely in the last few years)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Marcina Montgomery

-"With our concept-making apparatus called "the brain" we look at reality through the ideas-about-reality which our cultures give us. The ideas-about-reality are mistakenly labeled "reality" and unenlightened people are forever perplexed by the fact that other people, especially other cultures, see "reality" differently. It is only the ideas-about-reality which differ. Real (capital-T) True reality is a level deeper than is the level of concept."

-"You know, more and more my mind translates "gray morality" as "not a clue what we are doing"

There's white/elf privilege and then there's White/Elf Privilege. Born into a yuppie human household (The whole "elf" thing caused more than a little household tension.) of upper middle class parents desperately pretending to be rich, Marcina was able to coast comfortably through a childhood of ballet, theatre, playing with guns, and all those things the children of the rich and almost-rich get to do. The future was looking bright, if it hadn't been for the highschool years at Lake Highlands. Located close to the uber rich part of town, Marcina deeply entrenched herself in the greasy party scene and got to witness all manner of conspicuous consumption the noveau riche do to make up for lack of breeding.

Assorted scholarships and parental contacts got her into a prestigious university where she almost learned valuble skills before discovering the amazing world of awakened :420:. A subsequent flatlining of her GPA caused her folks to cut her off with a stern warning she had to enter the workforce. The idea of working for a living put her into sheer outright terror for the first time in her life and after an exceptionally paranoid night tits deep in Caribbean boo-smoke, she had the first meeting with Her. Residual morals made the idea of outright Black Magic and hurting people for its own sake repugnant, but there was more than a little appeal in confusing folks and watching established order collapse. Bending reality backwards and turning it all into pretty colors and feelings was far removed from the usual ZAP, BOOM of what mages on TV did, but in its own way far more empowering. Being able to drop someone without hurting them while also showing them a good time was a thrill a lightning bolt could never duplicate. Although never officially registering her powers, word got around, and after a violent altercation in a convenience store, her and some of the other weirdos present got an Offer from someone calling himself Mr. Johnson.

Several successful runs later (and learning to apply spells to deaden the mental trauma of watching dudes being sliced in half like a goddamn tomato, friggen adepts, man) she's moved back to Dallas, and renewed contact with several of her old acquaintances. Its time to show The Big D what being part of the 0.0001% is all about.

A Skills 46/10
B Attributes (20)
C Metatype (Elf 3)
D Magic (Aspected Mage magic 2)
E Resources (20,000)

pre:
Attributes:
BODY: 3/6 
AGI:  5/7 
REA:  3/6
STR:  2/6
WIL:  4/6
LOG:  3/6
INT:  4/6
CHA:  8/8
EDG:  3/7
MAG:  3/6
ESS:  6/6 

Notoriety: 0

Condition Track
Physical: 10
Stun: 10
Overflow: 4

Limits:
Physical: 4
Mental:	5	
Social:	9	

Cash Banked: 168+8000(High Lifestyle)
Karma Banked: 0

Positive Qualities:
Human Looking 6
too pretty to hit 3
Mentor Spirit-Seductress 5

Negative Qualities:
Sinner, national, +5
Addiction, Minor, Deepweed +4
Minor, uncommon allergy: synthetic fur +5
Total Bonus Karma: 14

Additional Karma Expenditures
Str 1>2  10k
Contacts 1k
Spanish one 2k
perception one 2k
25000 nyen 5k

Aspected Mage:
Shaman (Discordianism)

Spells
Improved Invis
Physical Mask
Improved Reflexes
Opium Den
Alter Memory
Trid Phantasm

Skills
Active Groups:
[Acting] 4 (Con+2 Spirit)
[Influence] 6

SpellCasting 6+(illusion+4 (inc/m.spirit))
Counterspell 6
Gymnastics 3
Running 3
Sneaking 3
Palming 3 (Pickpocket+2)
Perception 1 (karma)
Automatics 6
Pilot Ground 3
Hardware  4 (Security devices+2)
Locksmith 4 (maglock+2)

Knowledge Skills:
Dallas Metroplex 5

Interest Skills:

Language Skills
English: N
Spanish 1 (1karma)

Academic
Magical theory 4 (Shamanistic Traditions+2)

Contacts:

Texas Yellow, Connection 5, Loyalty 2
A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. 
In the back room, though, he's a fixer, acting as a middle-man between people looking to 
hire runners and the runner community.

Theo Trainer, Connection 6, Loyalty 1
An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', 
including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

Aiden Montgomery, Connection 1, Loyalty 4
lovely little brother. Involved in online community of people that claim to have one or more 
spirit totems living inside their heads. Lives with parents but makes money with with artwork 
commisions and spirit suit costumes.

Marty Fernandez, Connection 3, Loyalty 4
Year or two older. Was in the same party scene as her in highschool. Now a lonestar corporal. 
Provides evidence room hookups.

Gordon Richersfield, Connection 5, Loyalty 2
Family attourney, former city councilman, and member of all those clubs old, rich, white, 
human/elf people belong to. Responsible for getting her out of the sorts of teenage dumbassery 
that would land an ork or troll in the school-to-prison pipeline.

The Candyman, Connection 4, Loyalty 2
Met at a frat party. Talismonger, reagent and deepweed hookup. Totally not the Jamaican from JDatE.

Gear

Drugs:
deepweed x2     800
jazz x2         150
psyche x2       400

SINs/Licenses
Fake SIN 4,   10,000
"Mary Sue"
-driv lic 4      800
-magiclic 4      800

Fake SIN 1,    2,500
"Heywood Jablowmi"

Electronics:

Hermes Comm    3,000
Metalink Comm x3 300

Electronic Accessories:
sequencer 4     1000
lockpick         250
electrical kit   500

Vehicle:
Jackrabbit    10,000

Guns:
FN Har          900
-2x regularmag   90
-2x s&shock mag 342

Armor:
armor jacket   1000
exec suite     2000

Lifestyle:
High x 1mo   10,000

Total Cost:   44832

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 5, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hey, could anyone see if I goofed up anywhere? First time making a mage (and it was kinda accidental, only did it since Magic D became viable, so this is an experiment with Face primary, magic secondary). Am i missing anything or have any weaknesses I should watch out for?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Marcina Montgomery - Ronwayne

quote:

You got into this scene to avoid gettin' a real job, but this kind a' thing can't be easy for a white collar kid like you. How do you deal with the violence and general criminal element that you get exposed to on these jobs? And what do you do in yer downtime? I'm sure yer parents don't talk to you, but do you still see yer brother? What about those old college friends? Still hit up their parties, or what?

This is a real job, as far as I'm concerned. What small business owning SHOULD be about, personal initiative and competence being rewarded, instead of being chained to a storefront for 100 hours a week waiting for an A or AA to buy the land you're on and kick you out. Would you think of me as more of a professional if I just took the easy way out and got a vapid office job and slowly died inside for the next several decades? I'm a magic keebler, I could score a 120k a year gig doing magic lantern shows for rich kids birthdays and insipid corp parties. Instead, I'm here, I'd like to think that proves I'm serious about this.

The 'criminal element' is just what happens when vicious assholes just start being honest about who they are. Only in the worst parts of the barrens do you get the level of psychotic social cannibalism that marks what upper-middle corp managers get up to on a daily basis. The world in which these two groups meet is where I spend most of my time growing up. If you're looking for specific references, you ever heard of the "Florist" down in Atlanta? The katana dork adept who cut up the johnson that screwed him and stuck his limbs back on in interesting places? Yeah, he was my team's muscle for near a year. This ain't my first time at the rodeo, hoss.

Well, off times I try to hit up my old contacts and try to keep abreast of what's going on in the city. The kid bro is teetering perilously close to the point where you go from "troubled youth" to "fuckup". I'm torn between wanting to prevent that and not actually wanting to be around him or his friends. Still, amazing crowd to blend in with if you're lying low, especially since no one is willingly going to go hanging around them willingly.

I have the contacts, mojo, looks, and skills. Man, I know what kind of problems y'all have to deal with when putting together a team. "Is this guy going to flip off the Johnson?" "Is this guy going to be the Jackson Pollock of dismembered limbs?" "He claims to be an Insect shaman only 'ironically'." In that context, "Is she numbed enough to acts of ultraviolence" is a pretty good problem to have, and I have the juju to avoid it in the first place. I don't need half a mag of sticky shock to drop a guy trying to kill me. You want to keep this clean, quiet, and pro, I'm your best bet.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'd ask the GM to let you mod that. Having MMGs only weldable by str 8 is stupid considering they were, you know, carried by infantry during vietnam. Str 4 and 6/7 for MMGs/HMGs respectively is more reasonable, along with dropping the double recoil, if you're making the case to your gm

(Also don't forget to add an underbarrel 'nade launcher, they both use the same skill to shoot)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You mean he doesn't beat MG users about the face and mouth like RAW does.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well poo poo, dude. Things happen and RL is always more important than elfgaming. Best of luck.

This does leave the rest of the team with the problem that we no longer have decker support unless QN wants to NPC it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Uh, I think I'm not the one who's leaving?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

rodger.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

QN posted:

(Luckily, I have no such qualms! Your spirit guide!)

"Call me Yiffany"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

hey, we had this conversation earlier in IRC

quote:

hey qn, depending on how this run goes, Marcina wants to have a big sit down with the criminal defense attorney her family knows and blah blah, retain him but also have a heart to heart about this whole biz. This would include such important poo poo as "register you're magically active on real sin y/n, if you get caught by LN, what should I do to neutralize their ability to prosecute me, etc.

In addition to that, trying to get an in for working for rich dallas families directly. It might spin off into quasi/grey area legal poo poo like uh, aggressive private investigator stuff.

Marcina doesn't know about it but if she did she sure as gently caress doesn't want sparrow's lifestyle of stealing random lovely vehicles in the middle of the barrens

quote:

<quantumninja> GovtCheese: you could easily get into a corp contract that way

What did you mean by corpcontract?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hey QN, we got a bit of an issue here. Kenneth's going to need to explain things here.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 2, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I have enough :420: for two of sparrow, DT, or me to at least astrally perceive as well, if you want to do that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

lets do it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Empty quote indicating agreement.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yo, I have not forgot to post, just been slammed. BEEEEZ will be underway shortly, I think you'll like the roll.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Derp, well, I'm also help roll negotiation for these guys, so hopefully0 everyone is going to get more than 215 out of this than when i started.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

hey qn, re: lawyer contact, i'm okay with an IC sitdown with him next week IC after this run. basically i want to lay some groundwork/get some protection/get an in for doing my own runs.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh hey Martello. Nice to see you in the thread.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 31, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh, rad. I edited it out because I realized you might not want to talk about that, but yeah. I like your writing.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Okay, should have posted this earlier, but for those needing a reference on how dallas "feels."

This was the "old" baptist church in downtown:

This is what replaced it:

And this is important, because by god my PC is going to have something happen there. Hell, I think my next fake SIN is going to be a preacher for maximum irony.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 13, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yo i am still around. Been holding off until you've got some time, since her thing is talking/fast talking people and stealth action sequences it might be betweer to do with IRC, but if you want to handle her/albert's sub run, that's okay too.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ditto, sorry, work's been kicking my butt. This weekend should be better.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

WOOOO dis-loving-regard, I just got laid off! Shitcaskets had me bust my rear end to finish a project then terminated me with a phonecall after I left the office.

On the plus side now i can method act a SR pc.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah actually, time for that too.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh god what am I doing I'm trying to do a run and fill almost all roles by myself. This is what i get for playing a bard.

Well, not totally, I assume my copbuddy is the gunman role and sparrow of course is...uh. drat near everything as well.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Just wanted to let you know I'm having a blast running these side jobs. I have another one I'd like to set up, this being her first personal run (i.e. her being her own johnson), if you want to discuss details.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Redeye expressed interest in the game. I suggested we needed a gunman/physical dude.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm helping him, its his first same (his first sr PC?), so I'm discussing options. I'll try to make it quick.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Everything you need to know about being a upper middle class-lower rich white (middle to high) white (human/elf?) person in dallas.

Except due to hilarious zoning shenanigans the "urban" areas are literally the next block over.

Note how many low income neighborhoods are right next to mcmansion territory (or literal mansion in highland/university park)

This is collin county, the area just north of that dallas map:

Plano, etc and other places that get mentioned in the context of "jesus christ why are we here" (Note east Plano gets really poor, really fast)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 19, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, I don't want to draw this out.

Since I'm about to trash this SIN, I also kinda wanted to use it, to, i dunno, commit credit fraud/take out loans I have no intention of repaying, etc.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

No worries, but I'm glad we got something to do beyond "arrive at johnson, receive orders, do as said"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well, I'd like to see if that insanity I attempted resulted in anything but I'm totally sympathetic with gm burnout.

• Locked thread