Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
As a Texan and a fan of the Shadowrun setting, I am super interested in this game. I'll see if I can't get ahold of the book and rustle up a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

I've got my sheet more or less finished, I'm just trying to make my background less stupid. I'll post it once I get back from work this afternoon.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

OK, let's do this

Jake "Hardline" Franklin

(I chose a picture of his Matrix Persona, because his Meatsona is pretty boring. Just a regular dude with brown hair and blue eyes.)

In a darkened cave (basement), a young man stared at the glare from dancing magics (AR Windows) as strange sounds (Concrete Dream's latest album) blared throughout. He hoped The Mad Wizard (His Landlord... but also a Wizard) wouldn't mind too much.

He'd had a good life once. He'd had friends and family, and all that changed once the Aztlan invasion happened. Well, technically all of it hadn't changed. It's not like everyone was murdered or anything, he'd just been forced to give up his apartment in Denton because the owner had wanted to remodel the block for the incoming wealthy refugees. He'd since come into a little money from a dead relative to the south, and instead of buying a comparable place in Dallas like any sane chummer, he bought a lovely place in an angry old mage's basement. That freed up quite a bit of cash for his Baby.

He hadn't eaten for a week in order to afford the purchase, and he'd been eating Discount Soymeal ever since, but Drek was it worth it. This Baby could go from 0 to someone else's privacy in the time it took him to blink in meatspace. He'd always been a gifted programmer, it was how he made most of his living, but now he was something else. Something dangerous.

He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and looked at the other recent purchase in the room, the one he wasn't so jazzed about. an Ares Predator V, still in the box, lurked near his desk, slightly obscured by the dark and several greasy food bags. He'd already worked over the Smartlink and slaved it to his deck for safety, but he hadn't had worked up the courage to open the box.

"No time like the present, Hardline." he said to himself. Hardline. He needed to roll that word around in his head a bit more before it stuck.

He carefully opened the packaging, noticing the quality seals, and pulled out the piece which was wrapped in plastic. The reviews had said this piece was indispensable in self defense, which was what he hoped he'd be using it for. He pulled the gun out of it's wrapping and reveled in the smell of fresh plastic and steel. If he closed his eyes, he could almost pretend it was any other sort of top-of-the-line gadget.

As he held the piece, a strange feeling rose in his chest. Now he had crossed the line, and there was no going back to the meek programmer who kowtowed to the whims of the rich and connected. He'd make his own way.

Emboldened by this revelation, he clutched his gun and strode purposefully towards the door. He was going to make his way to the top of this Drekpile and there was nothing that would stop him. As he flung open the hatch, the angry sunlight flooded into the room it had been kept from for days. Jake clutched his eyes and wailed, falling backwards into the darkness and earning an angry shout from his landlord upstairs.

Nothing would stop him once night had fallen, he quietly amended, and nursed his aching head and wounded pride.

pre:
== Info == 
Street Name: Hardline
Name: Jack Franklin
Movement: 6/12
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 0
Public Awareness: 0
Human M Age 25
Height 5'6" Weight 180 lb
Composure: 5
Judge Intentions: 7
Lift/Carry: 3 
Memory: 9
Nuyen: 5,660

== Priorities == 
Metatype: D - Human or Elf
Attributes: C - 16 Attributes
Special: E - N/A
Skills: B - 36 Skills/5 Skill Groups
Resources: A - 450,000¥

== Attributes == 
BOD: 2
AGI: 3
REA: 2 (3) 
STR: 1 (2)
CHA: 2
INT: 5
LOG: 6 (8)
WIL: 3
EDG: 4

== Derived Attributes == 
Essence:                   2.8
Initiative:                7 + 1d6 (+1d6)
Rigger Initiative:         7 + 1d6
Astral Initiative:         N/A
Matrix AR Initiative:      7 + 1d6
Matrix Cold Initiative:    5 +DP + 3d6
Matrix Hot Initiative:     5 +DP + 4d6
Physical Damage Track:     9
Stun Damage Track:         10

== Limits == 
Physical:                  2
Mental:                    7
Social:                    5
Astral:                    N/A

== Skill Groups ==
Cracking:                  5

== Active Skills == 
Computer                  :5                      Pool: 13
Con                       :1                      Pool: 3
Cybercombat               :5                      Pool: 13
Electronic Warfare        :5                      Pool: 13
Ettiquette                :2                      Pool: 4
Forgery                   :2                      Pool: 8
Gymnastics                :1                      Pool: 4
Hacking                   :5                      Pool: 13
Hardware                  :5                      Pool: 13
Negotiation               :2                      Pool: 4
Palming                   :1                      Pool: 4
Perception                :3                      Pool: 8
Pilot Ground Craft        :1                      Pool: 3
Pistols                   :5                      Pool: 8
Sneaking                  :3                      Pool: 6
Software                  :5                      Pool: 13

== Knowledge Skills == 

Area Knowledge: Dallas    :3                      Pool: 8
Data Havens               :2                      Pool: 9
Engineering               :2                      Pool: 8
Gangs (Dallas Area)       :1                      Pool: 6(8)
English                   :N                      Pool: 0
Japanese                  :2                      Pool: 7
Matrix Games              :4                      Pool: 9
Shadow Community          :2                      Pool: 7
Spanish                   :3                      Pool: 8

== Contacts == 
"Decky" Williams (3, 3)
A friend from college who owns his own small electronics outlet in the mall. 
His backroom has some fairly Wiz stuff, though, and Hardline trusts him, which is important.

Texas Yellow     (5, 2) 
A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. 
In the back room, though, he's a fixer, acting as a middle-man between people looking to 
hire runners and the runner community.

Theo Trainer     (6, 1) 
An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', 
including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

== Qualities == 
Blandness
Natural Hardening

== Lifestyles == 
Middle

Apartment (A.K.A, "Meathost"  3 months 14000)
   +Extra Secure
   +Special Work Area: Hardware

== Armor == 
Clothing                            0
Lined Coat                          9             [900]

== Weapons == 
Ares Predator V                                   [435]
   Pool: 8   Accuracy: 5(7)DV: 8p   AP: -1  RC: - 
   +Smartgun System, Internal
Streetline Special                                [162]
   Pool: 8   Accuracy: 4   DV: 6P   AP: -   RC: -
   +Concealable Holster                           [90]
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 2   Accuracy: 2   DV: 1S   AP: -   RC: -

== Deck ==
Renraku Tsurugi                                   [214,125
   +Subvocal Mic                                  [50]
   +AR Gloves                                     [150]
   +Biometric Reader                              [200]
   +Satellite Link                                [500]
   +Trid Projector                                [200]
   +Programs
    -Browse                                       [80]
    -Configurator                                 [80]
    -Edit                                         [80]
    -Encryption                                   [80]
    -Signal Scrub                                 [80]
    -Toolbox                                      [80]
    -Baby Monitor                                 [250]
    -Biofeedback Filter                           [250]
    -Decryption                                   [250]
    -Exploit                                      [250]
    -Guard                                        [250]
    -Hammer                                       [250]
    -Sneak                                        [250]
    -Stealth                                      [250]
    -Blackout                                     [250]

== Gear == 
Earbuds (Rating 1)                                [550]
   +Audio Enhancement                             [500]

Electronic Warfare Kit                            [500]

Fake Sin (Parsley Druthers) Rating 2              [5000]
   +Fake License (Cyberdeck)Rating 2              [400]

50 AMMO: Regular (Heavy Pistol)                   [60]
20 AMMO: Regular (Holdout Pistol)                 [60]

Docwagon Contract (Gold)                          [25000]

Medikit (Rating 3)                                [750]

Biomonitor                                        [300]

Autopicker (Rating 3)                             [750]

Tool Kit (Hardware)                               [500]

Survival Kit                                      [200]

==Cyberware==
Cybereyes Basic System (Rating 2)                 [17,500/0.3e]
   +Image Link (Free)
   +Smartlink                                     [4000]
   +Low-Light Vision                              [1500]
   +Vision Enhancement(Rating 1)                  [4000]
   +Vision Magnification                          [2000]
Datajack                                          [1000/0.1e]
Wired Reflexes (Rating 1)                         [39000]
==Cultured Bioware==
Cerebral Boosters (Rating 2)                      [63,000/0.4e]
Mnemonic Enhancers(Rating 2)                      [18,000/0.2e]
Muscle Augmentation (Rating 1)                    [31,000/0.2e]

Wired Reflexes (Rating 1)                         [39000/2e]

== Vehicles == 
Dodge Scoot (Rinky Dink Scooter)                  [3000]
(All the brackets indicate price, because I didn't trust myself and counted. Had to downgrade to a Scoot, but I think I'll manage. Does Wired Reflexes add to Matrix Initiative?)

EDIT

Went through and made some changes that were suggested by Quantumninja, like actually getting access to the internet instead of stealing someone's wifi. Hopefully this will be a positive change.

Yamtaggler fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 21, 2014

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

So you're a hacker, right? Oh, excuse me, 'decker', ain't it? You got displaced by that Aztlan invasion along with the rest a' yer friends and family, but where did they end up? Yer siblings still in the Dallas area? Surely you at least know some people you spent time with in undergrad: old room mates, advisers, fellow ACM associates? You catch up with 'em in yer free time, or just sit at home and jack?

Jake "Hardline" Franklin

Jake is in the middle of pulling off his duster (it's way too hot for a duster, what was he thinking?) and stops mid-escape to answer the question.

"Well, we weren't really displaced in the traditional sense. We just got kicked out by our landlord so they could free up space for wealthy traditional displacees. Denton is the place for the well-to-do now, and I'm well-to-don't. Lucky my dad teaches Thaumatology up at UNT, or else they'd probably be in my shoes. As for my siblings, my big brother Wallace, or I guess it's "Caemaenor" now, he got out of here a long time ago. He moved up to Tír Tairngire to be around other elves, people who really "get" him, or some drek like that. We still keep in contact on the Matrix, but I haven't been able to take him seriously ever since he changed his name."

At this point, Jake finally manages to extricate himself from his jacket and throws it haphazardly onto the back of his chair. He refuses to notice it slip slowly to the floor as he continues his thought.

"I've got a few friends from college, like my roommate-turned-best friend Decky. He runs a comm-kiosk in the mall, but keeps a lot of wiz stuff under wraps. He helped me put together this deck," Here a shiny deck is brandished, "So he really knows his stuff. We don't tend to hang out a lot in meatspace, but we meet at this Data Haven called Null Set, which is pretty fun. Recently we've been running our Matrix Game 'Blood Bleeders' by publishers, but none of the bigs are biting, which is a real shame. Decky poured his heart and soul into that blood-code. Best blood I've ever seen in a game, hands down."

Jake absently looks at his half-empty beer. He didn't like the taste but a real 'Runner was too cool to ask for something else.

"Also, it's a shame because I need the money. Almost forgot that part."

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Homework:
I've heard drek about Kenneth. Good drek, of course. I read on Runnr (Shadowrunner forum) about how he got in a shoot-out with Corpsec that lasted a good 30 seconds. Evidently he shot six of them through the head and punched the seventh one out a window. The last one, and I'm quoting here, "loving pissed his pants and ran." I thought it was just some runner hyping himself up, so I did some digging. Found the security cam footage, and it all went down just like the stories said. The picture quality wasn't good enough to show me the last guy's pants, though, which was a shame.

Yeah, I worked with Gabriel De Los Santos. We were doing a pretty standard extraction, when all of the sudden we got jumped by, like, fifty goddamned guys. You should have seen this guy, spells flying left, right, up, down, and some directions that hurt my brain. It was a drat bloodbath. Then, once the smoke cleared, he just starts shaking and coughing like you wouldn't believe. We get him and the extraction out of there and by the time we get our pay, he's mostly fine again. I offer him a ride to the clinic, but he shakes his head and says something about a "pre-existing condition." He's a tough fucker if he runs with that kind of "condition"

Once I was working some counter-surveillance when I noticed a couple of drones buzzing around the secure zone, evidently they belonged to a rigger name of Sparrow. I had just finished the override when suddenly I lost the visual feed and none of the controls would respond. They had somehow managed to control it without the controls, but they forgot to turn them off, so I managed to subtly invert its Y-axis. I wish I could have seen the look on the rigger's face the next time they turned it on and it lunged for the pavement.

But seriously, gently caress riggers

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah, that was evidently some very creative mis-math, sorry.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

I'm a bad hacker who forgot the word "grid." I was trying to jump onto the local grid for a better chance at the host.

I'm pretty ashamed of myself right now.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Which grid is the host on, by the way?

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Those last two were trying to get onto the local grid, do those give marks and over watch on failure as well?

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah, I didn't realize that -2 from the dang public grid was going to be so damning

also, if I had bothered to read the bio implant stuff I would have totally gotten Cerebral Enhancers instead of Wired Reflexes.

So many problems that could be solved by better chargen.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

That is definitely something I'd like to do. I probably should have asked for suggestions once I finished my character sheet. I really appreciate your willingness to help me out. I'll change all my sheets up and try hacking. Thanks!

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

OK, made some changes, maybe now I can hack good.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Today is not a good day for me to be rolling dice. I think I'll go to bed and roll some dice tomorrow. Maybe they'll be happier tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Hey y'all, I've got some bad news. I'm gonna have to drop out of the game.

Real life took a turn for the lovely and I rarely feel up to posting when I'm at home.

It didn't feel right to make all y'all wait for me to hold the game back with my general malaise, as much fun as it was pretending to be a cyber-cowboy, albeit a surprisingly lovely one. I hope you guys all continue to have fun and do pretend crimes without me.

• Locked thread