Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
This is a thread for odd foods you've come across. I'm not talking about stuff like lutefisk or bull testicles or that fermented fish crap from Norway or whatever Scandinavian country. Not the stuff you see on the 'weird food' shows on Food Channel.

Show some stuff from your area or that you know of that is genuinely pretty weird and post about it. It doesn't even have to be gross or anything, just something out of the ordinary.

For the OP, I submit:

Pickled Mussels

I'm a huge fan of moules frites, it's one of my favorite dishes, I have it at least a few times a month. I am also a big fan of pretty much all pickled veggies (and some fruits). However, pickled mussels? That just seems like one of the most bizarre combos.

Nevertheless, I bought a jar and tried it out and was pleasantly surprised. The flavor of the mussels shone through the slight vinegar twang and was a reasonably decent snack. The only problem was that they were a bit too chewy and it was kind of weird eating them cold.

In the future I will probably just braise them in the juice from the jar for a couple minutes, or bread and fry them. Fried pickled mussels would make a great snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A while back I had some vobla (or wobla):

Basically a dried, salted fish. I think vobla also is the name of the fish too, but I'm not an expert on Eastern European fishes. I tried it with this Russian student I knew who talked about how she loved vobla and how it's common to eat it with beer in Russia. She brought over a few whole fish to a friend's apartment wrapped in a newspaper and plastic bag. She took one out with some newspaper and ripped off the head and then started scaling and boning it. Gruesome stuff. Then we ate some vobla.

I kinda liked it. It was chewy, salty, and a bit fishy but not overpoweringly so.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eating something that hung out in your bosses' pond for five years before being large enough to be a genuine nuisance is pretty odd.

Yes, it was a wild gator, yes it was legally harvested, you can even see the CITES tag in the tail there. Yes, he was delicious. Once the gator was skinned, I de-boned the tail and shanks, while boss harvested the jowls and decided the ribs were not worth keeping. I disagree, having had BBQ gator ribs previously, and they were fantastic. Got 4 nice fillets from the tail, saved them, the tailbone, and jowls for a gumbo boss's wife made the next day. I got the scraps and shanks, pat them dry, drenched in flour, and fried them golden brown in olive oil (the only oil we had, smoked a fair bit). Effing delicious. A bit gummy, but tastes like a mix between good free range farm scrap eatin' game chicken thighs, and goat. Stewed up in gumbo it was also fantastic. Lost a lot of the gumminess and could be cut with a fork.

We also ate turtle. It was a Cooter. Beheaded and thrown on the grill until the shell cracked. Shanks tasted like a mix of freshwater mussel, and rabbit. Very interesting. Lots of gnawing. I can see why turtle soup would be so good, lots of collagen.

So yeah, this is how we sometimes eat in rural Florida.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eating something that hung out in your bosses' pond for five years before being large enough to be a genuine nuisance is pretty odd.

Yes, it was a wild gator, yes it was legally harvested, you can even see the CITES tag in the tail there. Yes, he was delicious. Once the gator was skinned, I de-boned the tail and shanks, while boss harvested the jowls and decided the ribs were not worth keeping. I disagree, having had BBQ gator ribs previously, and they were fantastic. Got 4 nice fillets from the tail, saved them, the tailbone, and jowls for a gumbo boss's wife made the next day. I got the scraps and shanks, pat them dry, drenched in flour, and fried them golden brown in olive oil (the only oil we had, smoked a fair bit). Effing delicious. A bit gummy, but tastes like a mix between good free range farm scrap eatin' game chicken thighs, and goat. Stewed up in gumbo it was also fantastic. Lost a lot of the gumminess and could be cut with a fork.

We also ate turtle. It was a Cooter. Beheaded and thrown on the grill until the shell cracked. Shanks tasted like a mix of freshwater mussel, and rabbit. Very interesting. Lots of gnawing. I can see why turtle soup would be so good, lots of collagen.

Oh man... I've only ever had fried gator at carnivals and grilled gator kebabs once in New Orleans and it was awesome. That sounds friggin' delicious.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's probably nothing wrong with clam juice, it's just an odd thing to see.

The store I shop at always has clam juice, it's probably because it's next to a liquor store and people are making Clamatos, which is a Bloody Mary with clams involved.

I guess you can put it in chowder to amp up the clam a little, really anywhere in your life where you feel clams are lacking.

Can't get coriander there half the time.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

angerbot posted:

The store I shop at always has clam juice, it's probably because it's next to a liquor store and people are making Clamatos, which is a Bloody Mary with clams involved.

I guess you can put it in chowder to amp up the clam a little, really anywhere in your life where you feel clams are lacking.

My grandma used it to thin out cream cheese for clam dip, along with chopped clams and enough minced garlic to clear your nostrils. It rules

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Here's a pic and Youtube "How To: video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWzd4AMVXg

Mam Ruoc or Vietnamese pork with fermented shrimp sauce is something I always found amusing since it doesn't look pretty, but it's really good with plain rice. Sort of like a weird variation of a surf and turf except not a main course. The flavor is super rich and the scent is fragrant because of the lemongrass and chili. Also, it's tasty with slices of green apple.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Don't forget about it being one of the primary ingredients of a bloody caesar:

1 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
1 oz. vodka
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Clamato juice (or a mixture of two parts clam juice to one part tomato juice)
1/2 lime, in two wedges
Celery hearts, for garnish

Combine celery salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Wet the edge of a pint glas, and rim in the celery salt-pepper mixture. Fill the rimmed pint glass with ice. Pour in vodka, Worcestershire sauce, and Tobasco sauce; top with Clamato. Gently squeeze the lime wedges into the glass, and drop in the juiced pieces. Garnish with a leafy celery heart.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Banos

An awful Norwegian sandwich spread made from bananas. Bought exclusively by old people and sadistic penny pinching parents it is famous for the fact that the bananas involved in production are peeled exclusively by underpaid young Swedish immigrant workers.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Let's kick this up a notch

Yes, that's watery rice beer with tomato and clam juice

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
So if clam juice is for clamatos and clam chowder, what is kraut juice for?

Locally speaking, I'd vote for fatback. Its just what is says it is, pork fat, sometimes with the skin, sometimes fried or smoked. Never fails to weird out visitors, even if its almost certainly in their grocery store, just more used for sausage making and the like.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I have yet to see anything odd in this thread. Here are a few odd foods that I've tried.

Goat Brain

Ostrich Fillet (not really odd)

Pork Blood Soup

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 3, 2014

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Lobster tomalley, which is a green paste inside a lobster that acts as the liver and pancreas.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
pickled pork skins is a new one for me. does anyone know what these are like?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Tar_Squid posted:

I make this Polish soup I learned from my grandfather called Fos (Phos?). I've never seen it anywhere. There was something similar with duck blood but not close.

• For the broth it's ham hocks, prunes, and raisins cooked in kraut juice. Add some milk at the end.
  • Strain the broth, and shred the ham. Add more ham if you're not poor.
  • Boil and cut some potatoes into small cubes. Boil some Kluski noodles.
  • Add noodles, potatoes, ham, top with broth

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

d3rt posted:

pickled pork skins is a new one for me. does anyone know what these are like?

They rule on nachos.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What would I do with this?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tar_Squid posted:

I've used it in bloody marys when I had it on hand.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

d3rt posted:

Presumably you would put it in a salad first. Then, put it in your mouth, chew it, and swallow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

d3rt posted:

Saute with diced onion, then add eggs to scramble. Much better fresh if you can get them though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

d3rt posted:

Do you have a taco? Throw a few of those on the griddle/in a pan/whatever for a few minutes, then top the taco. Congratulations, you now have an ultra-authentic taco con nopal. You can also make a taco using only nopales and call it a taco de nopal, but I like having some meat in there too. Nopal is slightly tart, so it goes well with fatty meats like adobada, organ meats, lengua, etc. Mr. Wiggles's scrambled egg suggestion is also excellent.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Do you have a taco? Throw a few of those on the griddle/in a pan/whatever for a few minutes, then top the taco. Congratulations, you now have an ultra-authentic taco con nopal. You can also make a taco using only nopales and call it a taco de nopal, but I like having some meat in there too. Nopal is slightly tart, so it goes well with fatty meats like adobada, organ meats, lengua, etc. Mr. Wiggles's scrambled egg suggestion is also excellent.

mmmm... organ meats. Liverwurst best wurst.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

El Marrow posted:

I have yet to see anything odd in this thread. Here are a few odd foods that I've tried.

Goat Brain

Ostrich Fillet (not really odd)

Pork Blood Soup

What did you think of them?

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

d3rt posted:

In addition to the other suggestions, you can add them in Mexican stews toward the end (when using these brined ones). For instance: pork ribs in green sauce with nopales or pork neckbones in red sauce with nopales are some ideas. A classic Lenten dish is dried shrimp patties with nopales in red sauce. Do a search for "tortitas de camaron con nopales" to find a recipe. If using the jarred ones, I'd rinse them off first as they are salty as gently caress.

Fresh ones are better, obviously.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

ANDOUILLETTE

Sausage made from veal tripe, intestines, liver etc. It's awesome, bus smells like poo poo. Literally.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Blueberry posted:

ANDOUILLETTE

Sausage made from veal tripe, intestines, liver etc. It's awesome, bus smells like poo poo. Literally.

That looks loving amazing.

HarryHarry
Sep 4, 2014

Harry, Harry, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

I have some of these in my fridge right now. My wife wants me to throw them out as nobody eats them, however, I find their presence in the back of the fridge strangely comforting.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
St Paul sandwich, apparently you can only get them in St Louis, its cheap white bread, lettuce, mayo, pickle, and an egg foo young patty. I don't why its so delicious but it is.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

St Paul sandwich, apparently you can only get them in St Louis, its cheap white bread, lettuce, mayo, pickle, and an egg foo young patty. I don't why its so delicious but it is.

DON'T TELL OUR SECRETS!

Btw, where's that from? :D

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

That reminds me. I've been visiting friends in Massachusetts a lot and apparently this is a local thing (we've never gotten it):

Chow Mein Sandwiches

I know its more on the "why" side of odd, but it blows my mind someone decided to slop chow mein on a hamburger bun. Spaghetti sandwiches don't make sense to me either.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lobster tomalley, which is a green paste inside a lobster that acts as the liver and pancreas.

What's that taste like?

I've heard of the St. Paul Sandwich, and it just seems odd. I was actually reading about the Fat Elvis Presley today, and that's another one that just seems weird.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What's that taste like?

I've heard of the St. Paul Sandwich, and it just seems odd. I was actually reading about the Fat Elvis Presley today, and that's another one that just seems weird.

Tomalley tastes like the best fatty bits of the lobster, but a little more organy, and a slightly off-putting texture. I eat it, but I can understand why some people dont. It's pretty terrible looking!

Best use I ever saw of it was hidden in Lobster Roll mix. Pretty brilliant, as it's pretty much just lobster flavor concentrate.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

ColdPie posted:

What did you think of them?

Firstly, I'll try just about any food once, and try to give it a fair shake at my preference. Goat brain was absolutely horrible. The texture is the strangest part. You know how old rubber bands tend to crack apart when you stretch them? Goat brain does quite the same thing as you chew it. It's revolting. Combine that texture with a flavor profile of highlighters and the aroma of toilet cleanser, and that ought to give you an idea of what we're dealing with.

Ostrich fillets are sublime. The meat itself is a brilliant balance between succulent, perfectly cooked chicken and the more robust flavor and texture of medium rare porterhouse. I really can't wait to find ostrich again.

Pork Blood Soup? Think gelatinous cubes of metallic mystery soaking in a pho-like broth with herbs and fresh veggies. It sounds great, except for the mystery cubes, which happen to be the defining component of the dish. It wasn't bad per se, but it most definitely wan't great.

HarryHarry posted:

I have some of these in my fridge right now. My wife wants me to throw them out as nobody eats them, however, I find their presence in the back of the fridge strangely comforting.

I can actually get behind that. I used to have a roommate that kept pickled pig parts in our fridge which no one dared consume. It rubbed me the wrong way at first, but I slowly grew to understand the humor in it.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 10, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

angerbot posted:

I've had a bottle of this in my pantry for about 2 years... just incase

I still haven't figured out what just incase is. I guess in my mind I was going to make some clam chowder or something, I don't loving know.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I've had a bottle of this in my pantry for about 2 years... just incase

I still haven't figured out what just incase is. I guess in my mind I was going to make some clam chowder or something, I don't loving know.

http://community.cookinglight.com/archive/index.php/t-4322.html
Spanish rice with 1/2 water and 1/2 clam juice - some sort of not-paella
Coconut-Basmati Pilaf
Clam Juice Cocktail

There's some neat little bits. Worst comes to worst you can just pour it into some water balloons and throw them at kids.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

El Marrow posted:

Goat brain was absolutely horrible. The texture is the strangest part. You know how old rubber bands tend to crack apart when you stretch them? Goat brain does quite the same thing as you chew it. It's revolting. Combine that texture with a flavor profile of highlighters and the aroma of toilet cleanser, and that ought to give you an idea of what we're dealing with.
Sounds to me like you got old brains. I've had pork and cow brains and they taste kind of like liver but not much of anything. Toilet cleaner/highlighter smells sound about like Windex smells from seafood: a sign you're having something that hasn't been taken good care of. Texture-wise the brain I had was like a slightly thicker pate, so maybe yours was overcooked or something.

quote:

Pork Blood Soup? Think gelatinous cubes of metallic mystery soaking in a pho-like broth with herbs and fresh veggies. It sounds great, except for the mystery cubes, which happen to be the defining component of the dish. It wasn't bad per se, but it most definitely wan't great.
Same here - fresh blood is basically a mild meat-flavored tofu with a bit of a livery flavor to it. As it gets less fresh it gets stronger. I was disappointed when I tried it because it wasn't as weird as I was hoping.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 10, 2014

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

feelz good man posted:

My grandma used it to thin out cream cheese for clam dip, along with chopped clams and enough minced garlic to clear your nostrils. It rules

I want to try making this. Was it more of a bread spread or put on cheese and crackers?

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Sounds to me like you got old brains. I've had pork and cow brains and they taste kind of like liver but not much of anything. Toilet cleaner/highlighter smells sound about like Windex smells from seafood: a sign you're having something that hasn't been taken good care of. Texture-wise the brain I had was like a slightly thicker pate, so maybe yours was overcooked or something.

Same here - fresh blood is basically a mild meat-flavored tofu with a bit of a livery flavor to it. As it gets less fresh it gets stronger. I was disappointed when I tried it because it wasn't as weird as I was hoping.

As far as the goat brain is concerned, I think the way it was prepared had something to do with it. My best friend growing up was Indian, and it had a yellow tint to it, which leads me to believe it had been seasoned in some way. It was by far the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten, and I'm truly impartial to the fact that it was a brain.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

contrapants posted:

I want to try making this. Was it more of a bread spread or put on cheese and crackers?

I've always seen it with potato chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sup, rural Florida bro. Have you tried rattlesnake?

• Locked thread