Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rollmops are bloody delicious.

I seem to be the only person under retirement age in the UK who eats them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Rollmops are bloody delicious.

I seem to be the only person under retirement age in the UK who eats them though.

Whattup non-pensionable UK rollmop guzzler :coolfish::hf::britain:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

HP Sauce-loving American here. I definitely prefer it to American Heinz 57 and A-1 sauces.

American 'HP Steak Sauce' isn't quite the same as UK HP Sauce, though. (A-1 is about the closest equivalent I can think of to brown sauce other than that, but A-1 is quite a bit runnier)

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I like HP Fruity. :gay:

P.S. Believe it or not, we can get UK imports here in 'Muricah.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

I had some during my stay in Shanghai a couple years ago. I am a very adventurous eater- blue cheeses that make your mouth go numb, dodgy street meats, fish sauce- all awesome.

But stinky tofu filled my mouth with the unmistakable scent of dog poo poo for the entire night. Not enough beer and chili paste in the world could wipe that out.

Cast Iron Brick fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 25, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

feedmegin posted:

American 'HP Steak Sauce' isn't quite the same as UK HP Sauce, though. (A-1 is about the closest equivalent I can think of to brown sauce other than that, but A-1 is quite a bit runnier)

I've had the real-deal HP sauce at a pretty authentic Irish pub in Florida, and our main supermarket (Publix) has a British foods section. I've never seen an Americanized HP sauce, just the imported variety.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Rollmops.

Pickled herring fillet, wrapped around a savoury filling, usually onions or gherkin, although it's really good with olives.

Usually served either cold where it's eaten whole, or in a sandwich.

Man, I love pickled herring, but I could do without the gherkins. I'd love to have these with onions or even pickled peppers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I had some during my stay in Shanghai a couple years ago. I am a very adventurous eater- blue cheeses that make your mouth go numb, dodgy street meats, fish sauce- all awesome.

But stinky tofu filled my mouth with the unmistakable scent of dog poo poo for the entire night. Not enough beer and chili paste in the world could wipe that out.

Well Shanghai and the middle part of the east coast in general is known for having pretty bad food. I had stinky tofu in Changsha.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Known for what you say :colbert:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eating something that hung out in your bosses' pond for five years before being large enough to be a genuine nuisance is pretty odd.

Yes, it was a wild gator, yes it was legally harvested, you can even see the CITES tag in the tail there. Yes, he was delicious. Once the gator was skinned, I de-boned the tail and shanks, while boss harvested the jowls and decided the ribs were not worth keeping. I disagree, having had BBQ gator ribs previously, and they were fantastic. Got 4 nice fillets from the tail, saved them, the tailbone, and jowls for a gumbo boss's wife made the next day. I got the scraps and shanks, pat them dry, drenched in flour, and fried them golden brown in olive oil (the only oil we had, smoked a fair bit). Effing delicious. A bit gummy, but tastes like a mix between good free range farm scrap eatin' game chicken thighs, and goat. Stewed up in gumbo it was also fantastic. Lost a lot of the gumminess and could be cut with a fork.

We also ate turtle. It was a Cooter. Beheaded and thrown on the grill until the shell cracked. Shanks tasted like a mix of freshwater mussel, and rabbit. Very interesting. Lots of gnawing. I can see why turtle soup would be so good, lots of collagen.

So yeah, this is how we sometimes eat in rural Florida.

If you want to get down on some really good gator ribs in Florida give Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa a try, they are great. There also used to be a taco joint in Ybor City called Memas Alaskan Tacos that had gator tacos that were awesome but sadly is now closed.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's because it's snake. It has very little fat. Just throwing it on the barbeque wont do much for the flavor, it needs marinade and sauce. It's also originally not something you sought out as a culinary experience, it's much more "The family wants meat and all i have are these three rattlers i kilt in the garden".

http://www.rattlesnakerecipe.us/recipes.htm (is the bible true? click here and find out!)

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsnake.html

I had rattlesnake when I was a kid marinated in teriyaki sauce then grilled. Stumbled on the rattlesnake out small game hunting with my dad, figured it counted as small game. Very easy to clean and skin, and the skin is pretty easy to tan. I wouldn't go out looking for them, but it was a fine enough incidental meal.

What's great is that even after they're beheaded, they wriggle around like mad. Totally grossed my sister out, which was a bonus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think in the last month a chef was killed because the snake head he decapitated managed to bite him, so be extra careful...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/26/newser-cobra-kills-chef/14619677/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
When killing any reptile, be kind and pith the brain. That means stabbing them in the head and wiggling the knife around to destroy the brain.

quote:

"Some of the many ways in which reptiles are "killed" are mentioned later on but one method which is quite commonly used is decapitation. Generally speaking, in mammals and birds, for example, quickly severing the head from the rest of the body may cause immediate or near immediate loss of consciousness and a very rapid death. It might not be describable as 'humane' but the period of post-severance life in the head is almost certainly short. Although meaning certain death, decapitation is certainly not a rapid or humane way of killing reptiles. As hard to believe as it seems, the heads cut from reptiles live on well after the horrific event of decapitation itself. It is not a case of "nerves causing the head to move unconsciously" as most people think. The heads, and parts of the neck if still attached, are alive and some may attempt to bite objects which approach; the eyes may follow movement and the pupils contract and dilate in response to light and dark; they can blink and in the case of snakes and lizards, flick out and in their tongues to test the air for scent and even move slightly if enough of their neck is left.

http://www.anapsid.org/decap.html

Remember, a big part of ethical sportsmanship and animal harvesting is providing the quickest, least painful death possible. Use best possible practices!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's probably a lot of weird Australian dishes that escape my mind at the moment. Odd choices of meats, certainly, since the general approach to native animals in Australia is to appraise them hungrily and try and work out what they taste like barbecued.

But I digress - South Australia's addition to the world of gourmet food:

The Meat Pie Floater

That is a meat pie, served in a bowl of pea soup, covered with tomato sauce.

Best consumed while staggeringly drunk.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

psychokitty posted:

I like HP Fruity. :gay:

P.S. Believe it or not, we can get UK imports here in 'Muricah.

I know you can, I used to live there. Just saying that the UK-imported HP sauce and the stuff they sell next to the A1 are different things, for those who are unaware :)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

There's probably a lot of weird Australian dishes that escape my mind at the moment. Odd choices of meats, certainly, since the general approach to native animals in Australia is to appraise them hungrily and try and work out what they taste like barbecued.

But I digress - South Australia's addition to the world of gourmet food:

The Meat Pie Floater

That is a meat pie, served in a bowl of pea soup, covered with tomato sauce.

Best consumed while staggeringly drunk.

I've always thought that while it's not something I'd think of, it doesn't sound that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b

d3rt posted:

What would I do with this?

Chile Verde or Rojo with Pork meat is really good, Try it

I really enjoy using the fresh version it's really easy to make you buy them like that, take the spines off and then you can fry it with just a little salt kind of like a steak, takes longer you gotta fry it until it will be a bit darker green color and soft all the way through you can eat it just like thatc, but I like putting two over medium eggs on top makes it really dope and a bit healthier than putting it on top of a fried corn tortilla.

d3rt posted:

pickled pork skins is a new one for me. does anyone know what these are like?

they're soft chewy things, the most common way we make them is on top of a flour chicharon, cream or mayonnaise on top, refried beans on top, cabbage on top, some avocado on top and Valentina I'm sure there are better recipes online out there for this, they're called "Chilindrinas". You can also just eat them with valentina and poke at it with a toothpick because they're slippery things. Throw them in a bag of takis with your favorite hot sauce (it's Valentina) some limes and you good or just valentina is fine too.

• Locked thread