Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler

alnilam posted:

Andrew Lloyd Weber's JC Superstar is an incredible piece of music. I haven' t seen the production or the movie but the studio album is really really good. And I am not a religious dude or anything. I think this album deserves attention from the non-religious crowd.

A few cool things:
-awesomew music and vocals including the guy fomr deep purple
-it has a cool treatment of the new testament as a piece of literature rather than a spiritual work
-it takes some angles on the story that mainstream christianity does not, including judas as a sympathetic/tragic character who was torn about what was best for his people (since I didn't grow up learning much about christianity, I assumed everyone thought this about judas and was surprised to learnn that most denominations think he's the biggest dick ever??), and jesus as a guy who is all mopey in a cool way like "man I have all these ideas but am i really getting through to anyone :smith:", and even the people who tortured/killed jesus were sort of unwilling to do so but forced by their positions in the world (or by god???)
-when they wrote the music it was originally about like kansas or something and then they were like "hmm could be cool to make it about jesus idk"

anyway let's have a non-religious discussion of jesus christ superstar, and if you haven't listened to it do yourself a favor and check it out!

I've always avoided it. I will give it a watch tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread