Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Savington posted:

raising the minimum wage literally has the same effect as raising taxes on corporations, hth

jesus won't someone think of the job creators? who else will bless us with these awesome minimum wage jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

anonumos posted:

The only problem I have with this is the challenge is for one week. Try a whole month. Or a year. One fricken paycheck? How about a week where your hours get cut. How about knowing that 4 weeks from now you have a big bill and not only is this week tight but you have to find ways to keep some of this week's pay in reserve to pay that upcoming bill.

It's great to raise awareness, but this doesn't even scratch the surface.

He should try again, like a video game, maybe that time he'll run out of money on the last day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lotta people not knowing basic econ itt

minimum wage increases don't significantly affect job creation because guess what: companies already strive to hire the bare minimum of employees. why would you overpay for labor?

for example: let's say a domino's employs 2-3 people working inside on a friday night. it is paying $8 an hour. If the minimum wage went up to $10 an hour, they wouldn't go 'oh well guess we have to cut a person from the friday shift' because that is untenable; they would just have to eat the extra cost of doing business (and probably pass it on to the customer as a $0.25 increase on everything since food service runs pretty tight profit margins anyway)

it doesn't really affect job growth for the same reason; you either need another employee working or you don't.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The loudest people complaining must not be good enough to get promotions and raises after putting in a few years at their job. Are people working in such dead-end jobs that they can't afford to bother looking for better jobs that exist all over the loving country? I can see them staying that way since the government and unions say there are no openings.

lol yeah it's not like unemployment is Real Thing that exists or anything. oh government and unions say there are no openings but clearly that's all just a lie look at how many wonderful jobs are available:

the argument of 'economic problems are not Real, people are just incompetent and lazy' is the argument of a 15 year old.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

i went a week on minimum wage once.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really the bullshit is that the working class and the proles have built this country up to super rich status, skyrocketing GDP and everything, but our wages remain pretty much flat in the last half century.

And then there's people who look at that and go 'yeah that's fair.' That's what makes me mad; unless you are one of those few super rich people that benefit off the egregious misbalance of benefit from our country's prosperity, why the gently caress would you be in support of that?

Also when you raise the minimum wage, there is more consumer spending which causes businesses to make more money and create more jobs and drive the economy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if raising the minimum wage is impossible then i guess we have to admit that the american economy is predicated on large amounts of people getting paid at unlivable rates and we should probably go ahead and apply for Bitchmade Status from the IMF

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

the global capitalist economy is predicated on large amounts of people getting paid at unlivable rates

there we go

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well yeah but we're not supposed to admit that

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro

well yeah but we're not supposed to admit that
pack western economics up guys, they know, they know, put it all away

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol i like how the op was for some reason mad at the guy like yeah gently caress him for doing the one week thing why didn't he just raise minimum wage instead

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
too bad the only thing congress can unanimously agree on is that Israel needs to keep massacring Palestinians.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Would anybody like to know my opinions on this story and topic?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Much of any higher minimum wage increases will get eaten by the existing obscene taxation. Halve taxes and current wages won't look like poo poo, since you are not giving your money away to a government that personally cares about your family problems, and the giant faceless multi-nationals will hire more people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
u might say the benefits will "trickle" down

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CharlestonJew posted:

Kill everyone and also kill the pussy congressmen that couldn't last 2 days in their fantasy poor budget world. Like I know them succeeding would have defeated the point but they could have at least pretended to make an effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gY2wtmcADo

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
lol for about 20 bucks I can make a meal that'll last you all week and is generally healthy.

Turkey Tacos ftw.

Hell honestly dried beans and brown rice alone are great

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

Much of any higher minimum wage increases will get eaten by the existing obscene taxation. Halve taxes and current wages won't look like poo poo, since you are not giving your money away to a government that personally cares about your family problems, and the giant faceless multi-nationals will hire more people.

you say that but someone making minimum wage isn't really being taxed enough for that to be true.

when I made minimum wage if you halved my tax, I'd be paying $150 a year instead of like $300

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sounds good. Halve taxes and then increase wages.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lets halve taxes and then sell our infrastructure to german concerns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we got rid of the sales tax that would be nice that's some bullshit imo

taxed on the income then taxed again when I spend it

some double dipping anti poor tax

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Burger Kings prices are outrageous.

saig
Mar 9, 2003

i see your reply and raise you an i dont give a shit

Tonetta posted:

debate, and discuss, my rear end

does it have less acne than cybermans rear end

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Al Borland posted:

Hell honestly

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Moridin920 posted:

lotta people not knowing basic econ itt

minimum wage increases don't significantly affect job creation because guess what: companies already strive to hire the bare minimum of employees. why would you overpay for labor?

for example: let's say a domino's employs 2-3 people working inside on a friday night. it is paying $8 an hour. If the minimum wage went up to $10 an hour, they wouldn't go 'oh well guess we have to cut a person from the friday shift' because that is untenable; they would just have to eat the extra cost of doing business (and probably pass it on to the customer as a $0.25 increase on everything since food service runs pretty tight profit margins anyway)

it doesn't really affect job growth for the same reason; you either need another employee working or you don't.

lol yeah it's not like unemployment is Real Thing that exists or anything. oh government and unions say there are no openings but clearly that's all just a lie look at how many wonderful jobs are available:

the argument of 'economic problems are not Real, people are just incompetent and lazy' is the argument of a 15 year old.

This is why 20 years ago there were 8 people operating 8 machines at a caterpillar at 18 dollars an hour, and today there is one person operating 8 machines at 20 dollars an hour.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

u might say the benefits will "trickle" down

The benefits are gonna trickle down and out my rear end in a top hat in the form of cum and blood, after I am finished being raped by corporate america

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 31, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there should really just be one wage for everyone so that we dont have to argue about it anymore

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I like the idea of paying a few extra cents for a company to pay their workers more. However, raising the minimum wage would mean that unless your wage is also increased by the same amount then you are actually making less now. How many people do you think would want that? What effect would that have overall?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

if we got rid of the sales tax that would be nice that's some bullshit imo

taxed on the income then taxed again when I spend it

some double dipping anti poor tax

Govt would lose hella cash via immigrants if sales tax disappeared and every congressman ever bitches about how there's not enough money, but never mind giving israel another couple hundred mil for iron dome or toss ingsome heli's at saudi arabia just because

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

NObodiesGeek posted:

I like the idea of paying a few extra cents for a company to pay their workers more. However, raising the minimum wage would mean that unless your wage is also increased by the same amount then you are actually making less now. How many people do you think would want that? What effect would that have overall?

:psyduck: Are you OK? Did you get hit on the head? Are you Sarah Palin?

Guess how many times the minimum wage has been increased in the past with no appreciable inflation or decrease in employment. Each time it was raised, we did not have an immediate economic crash. Hell, most of our crashes are attributed to investor decisions. In fact. Not once have I heard any suggestion that labor costs brought down the economy. It's always "bubble popped; everyone jump".

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

anonumos posted:

:psyduck: Are you OK? Did you get hit on the head? Are you Sarah Palin?

Guess how many times the minimum wage has been increased in the past with no appreciable inflation or decrease in employment. Each time it was raised, we did not have an immediate economic crash. Hell, most of our crashes are attributed to investor decisions. In fact. Not once have I heard any suggestion that labor costs brought down the economy. It's always "bubble popped; everyone jump".

Just curious of how many times these things happened since bill clinton decided it was ok to outsource jobs

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

UnirOnically murder, devour, the rich.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

NObodiesGeek posted:

that is not how it works

I mean if some huge amount of your income is spent on the poo poo that is made more affordable to you by basically stealing part of it from the people who have to work like 70 hour weeks to avoid homelessness then yeah I guess you will experience a significant loss of purchasing power

but for those of us who do not consider the value of things in number of big macs then no that's not how it works

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oberleutnant posted:

UnirOnically murder, devour, the rich.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
My fault for making not making myself clear. I never said it would cause an economic crash. I was thinking of a few factors that contribute to a worsening economy over time for everybody. Stagnant wages for workers making more than minimum and rising food prices and rising gas prices to name a few. Raising the minimum would help the poor afford more but for how long until it needs to be raised again? Then again. Then again. I'm aware most of this is caused by wall street and a unhelpful white house. I have a feeling thought out ideas can help solve this. Insults? Not so much.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tonetta posted:

Lets continue to raise the minimum wage, to erase the gap between the lower class and the middle class, so we only have a lower class and upper class.

we're already at that stage

raising the minimum wage just allows the biochemistry majors working at jimmy john's to pay off their student debt quicker while affording their parents' rent

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45WnW0ASFY

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tonetta posted:

This is why 20 years ago there were 8 people operating 8 machines at a caterpillar at 18 dollars an hour, and today there is one person operating 8 machines at 20 dollars an hour.

well that's because we made unions way less powerful and destroyed most of them because 'lol gently caress unions go reagan'

NObodiesGeek posted:

My fault for making not making myself clear. I never said it would cause an economic crash. I was thinking of a few factors that contribute to a worsening economy over time for everybody. Stagnant wages for workers making more than minimum and rising food prices and rising gas prices to name a few. Raising the minimum would help the poor afford more but for how long until it needs to be raised again? Then again. Then again. I'm aware most of this is caused by wall street and a unhelpful white house. I have a feeling thought out ideas can help solve this. Insults? Not so much.

it should be pegged to whatever the minimum income is for a decent standard of living. that's how most other western countries do it and they aren't experiencing runaway inflation. workers making more than minimum wage should demand raises also, as you are right it's bullshit to be making $10 more than minimum and now you're making $9 more than minimum.

again unions would be a helpful force, here. chances are if you're making more than minimum wage you've got a certain skillset and it is easier for you to say 'fine then I'm going to work somewhere else' so at least without union backing you're not *totally* hosed.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 2, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unions had their time in the sun when children were working in crappy factories and 60+ hour work weeks were acceptable. Reagan is gone, so why bitch about losing all that power with the Democrats on your side? Oh wait, did they get thrown under the bus like other organizations/people that supported them over the decades and replaced with the newest under-represented group?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pee on people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Whole Internet posted:

we're already at that stage

raising the minimum wage just allows the biochemistry majors working at jimmy john's to pay off their student debt quicker while affording their parents' rent

Obligatory :eng101: : Most minimum wage workers are family breadwinners and have children. 1/3 are over 40, for example.

http://www.epi.org/publication/wage-workers-older-88-percent-workers-benefit/

Prick

• Locked thread