Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
why wouldn't you want to nationalize all the industries and things so you get to have a vote about how they work are you retarded or something you think democracy can't be trusted with growing corn or manufacturing ipods seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Throwdini posted:

why wouldn't you want to nationalize all the industries and things so you get to have a vote about how they work are you retarded or something you think democracy can't be trusted with growing corn or manufacturing ipods seriously

Two words: corn subsidies.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ladyboy pancake posted:

corporations are white people.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Why aren't massively wealthy entities that give huge donations to politicians being put in jail for shady things they do? A good question that baffles us all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RedMage129 posted:

Why aren't massively wealthy entities that give huge donations to politicians being put in jail for shady things they do? A good question that baffles us all.
Because they have connections.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

When you get jailed, you are forcibly removed from your house and placed in jail, the least the state could do is forcibly remove the CEOs and replace the board of directors.

Maybe remove the company from being publicly traded as a further punishment

the state can do this

they can also put the corp in probation and have court-appointed observers plus random audits, require court approval for board decisions, etc., or even straight dissolve the corporation by court order.

all these things are possible and have been done but arne't done now because people are retarded and prosecutors/judges are afraid of offending big business

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
If corporation is a person, then legally, you can kill it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

Only in self defense and if the corporation is black and wearing a hoody.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Only in self defense and if the corporation is black and wearing a hoody.

So basically minority-owned businesses only?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
standing my ground against big business

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
they can kill companies - some crimes allow deregistration which is basically corporate capital punishment

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Neurosis posted:

they can kill companies - some crimes allow deregistration which is basically corporate capital punishment

you may have killed the corporate fiction SHELL CORPORATION, but i am the paper-and-ink corporate-person-on-the-land "corporation: shell-inc", and furthermore under the Magna Carta i think you will find that

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!

SpazmasterX posted:

I forget the exact details but someone tried frivolously suing a company for something you normally sue a single person for and the judge threw it out because it was "common sense"

naturally the irony was lost on the judge

I think a guy got pulled over for driving in the carpool lane but he had corporate documents with him so he said the corporation pays taxes and counts as a person so he could use the lane.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A corporation can own another corporation. If a corporation is a person that's slavery.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

A corporation can own another corporation. If a corporation is a person that's slavery.

Agreed

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They're job creators and therefore deserving of special privileges.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

2nd post accuracy

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

They're job creators and therefore deserving of special privileges.

I'm a job taker where are my special privileges?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Eastbound Spider posted:

I'm a job taker where are my special privileges?

communist

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you arrested walmart its employees would fill 274 angolas

you know I think we could really get the private prison industry behind this now that I look at the numbers

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
really hope the next mass shooting occurs in congress or the trading floor at wall st :twisted:

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
The idea of corporations was to protect owners AND employees from being utterly bankrupted in a lawsuit in the event that something that happened in the normal course of business hurt someone else. Ideally, this would help encourage people to start businesses, invest in businesses and work for businesses without having to buy a gently caress-ton of insurance to protect themselves.

Instead, it's become a loophole for "businesses" (aka corporate insiders) to basically break any law, literally write the laws that govern their business, completely avoid taxes if necessary and entrench their market share by maintaining legally protected monopolies.

The whole "corporations are people" ruling is just a tiny layer of bullshit icing on 20 layer bullshit cake.

Basically, like the answer to many other questions about why everything is hosed up, the answer is: because baby boomers are lovely, useless, lazy, self-entitled people who have done dick to improve the world since they were squirted out of their mothers's GI shredded snizzes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

The_Cack posted:

really hope the next mass shooting occurs in congress or the trading floor at wall st :twisted:

Congress doesn't allow firearms on premises while they talk about how gun control would never work.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
all of the rights

none of the obligations

corporations smoke weed out in the open i heard

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that people actually think corporations are evil.

Do you even know what a corporation is? Anything with an "LLC" at the end. Limited Liability Corporation. That means they filed their papers of Incorporation with the state to be Incorporated as an entity.

A corporation is nothing more than people trying to work hard and make money. I know that it is easy to see them as intrinsically evil, but this is demonstratively not the case.

I can be confident in saying over 90% of you are either unemployed (students or manbabies) or work for some type of corporation. You don't balk at the paychecks or benefits provided by steady work. You don't complain about the 401k matching or pop125 benefits provided by the IRS. No, you are mad because you don't make fifteen dollars an hour doing what a child should be doing during the summer.

Skilled labor often starts at $15.00 an hour when you are fresh and goes up from there. So why should I expect some impudent child working at Wendy's to make more than minimum? Oh, because they are 30 and never aspired to do better than food service? Too bad. They don't get to go back and choose another salary card in the game of life.

People need to take ownership of their lives and stop blaming the boogiemen. It isn't the "immigrants". It isn't the "corporations". It isn't the "gays". It is personal responsibility and it seems that no one exercises it.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Do you even know what a corporation is? Anything with an "LLC" at the end. Limited Liability Corporation. That means they filed their papers of Incorporation with the state to be Incorporated as an entity.

A corporation is nothing more than people trying to work hard and make money. I know that it is easy to see them as intrinsically evil, but this is demonstratively not the case.

I can be confident in saying over 90% of you are either unemployed (students or manbabies) or work for some type of corporation. You don't balk at the paychecks or benefits provided by steady work. You don't complain about the 401k matching or pop125 benefits provided by the IRS. No, you are mad because you don't make fifteen dollars an hour doing what a child should be doing during the summer.

Skilled labor often starts at $15.00 an hour when you are fresh and goes up from there. So why should I expect some impudent child working at Wendy's to make more than minimum? Oh, because they are 30 and never aspired to do better than food service? Too bad. They don't get to go back and choose another salary card in the game of life.

People need to take ownership of their lives and stop blaming the boogiemen. It isn't the "immigrants". It isn't the "corporations". It isn't the "gays". It is personal responsibility and it seems that no one exercises it.

yeah, that's why rivers were on fire in America without the EPA, because corporations care so much

you're a lawyer aren't you ?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

you're a lawyer aren't you ?

no he's just Rhonyn Peacemaker, a loving idiot. Either that or a troll because he does this super conservative on the free market's dick thing a lot.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Source your quotes

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

ladyboy pancake posted:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Source your quotes

On what? It is all accurate and common knowledge.

LLC is shorthand for Limited Liability Company but can be used as Limited Liability Corporation as well or just LLC or Corporation or Company.

In the common vernacular, most people simply refer to any company as just a company, and larger companies as corporations, however, any both have the same rights.

Skilled labor estimates are accurate depending on what your trade is and where you are located. Don't a ship-builder in a land-locked area, that sort of thing.

What else do you want to know. This poo poo is rudimentary.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

On what? It is all accurate and common knowledge.

LLC is shorthand for Limited Liability Company but can be used as Limited Liability Corporation as well or just LLC or Corporation or Company.

In the common vernacular, most people simply refer to any company as just a company, and larger companies as corporations, however, any both have the same rights.

Skilled labor estimates are accurate depending on what your trade is and where you are located. Don't a ship-builder in a land-locked area, that sort of thing.

What else do you want to know. This poo poo is rudimentary.

actually an LLC is a weird hybrid of partnership and traditional corporation as usual you dont know what youre talking about

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So hey Ronyn if all those poo poo jobs are things children should be doing during the summer, then who is going to do that job the rest of the time

also how many times is someone going to say 'actually most minimum wage workers work 2 jobs and aren't teens at all but adults supporting a family' and have statistics to prove it before people stop the dumb gently caress 'oh lol it doesn't matter this is a non-important job for children.'

and if this is true:

quote:

then explain unemployment. explain gentrification, explain colonialism, explain predatory pricing and other unfair business practices (and explain why companies who violate laws on those things aren't prosecuted).

explain Kenneth Lay and other CEOs jacking people's retirement funds. explain wall street crashing the global economy in 2008.

but oh no it's all just on you, the individual. all wrongs in your life can be traced back to you the individual and if you think differently you're a fuckhead! it's like your parents didn't love you enough or something.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ladyboy pancake posted:

:drat::thurman:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Most of the "skilled labor" jobs around here start at $10/hr

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that $15 hr starting is stupid too

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Oh poo poo, I just saw who I was responding to. Ignore my above post.

Go kill yourself.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

So hey Ronyn if all those poo poo jobs are things children should be doing during the summer, then who is going to do that job the rest of the time

also how many times is someone going to say 'actually most minimum wage workers work 2 jobs and aren't teens at all but adults supporting a family' and have statistics to prove it before people stop the dumb gently caress 'oh lol it doesn't matter this is a non-important job for children.'

and if this is true:

then explain unemployment. explain gentrification, explain colonialism, explain predatory pricing and other unfair business practices (and explain why companies who violate laws on those things aren't prosecuted).

explain Kenneth Lay and other CEOs jacking people's retirement funds. explain wall street crashing the global economy in 2008.

but oh no it's all just on you, the individual. all wrongs in your life can be traced back to you the individual and if you think differently you're a fuckhead! it's like your parents didn't love you enough or something.

Unemployment:

Currently at 6.2% nationwide. Full employment ranges from about 4% to 6%, depending on your choice of economic theory.

Gentrification is the choice of cities to not expand as fast as their economies. SF is the perfect example of this. Planning and development can remove this. Having a vision of light rail and public transportation can limit the impact. Cities that invest in these projects benefit from this and nullify the effects of gentrification. But I bet you already know this and you are just trying to be dense.

Colonialism, and by this I'm assuming you mean corporate colonialism, a term used by the whiniest of Marxists: Is exactly what globalism demands. Small fledgling economies need corporate influence and ideas to grow, and those profits flood into those local economies. Our country benefits by leveraging the competitive advantage.

You say Predatory Pricing, I say Strategic Competence. I have a value in my company that makes our product cheaper. Our customers want it more and we drive our competitors out of business. I buy their shambling corpse up, fire the worthless idiots and put my people in charge and double my market share for a tenth of the price instead of trying to buy them outright. It is what business is built around, beating your competition. If I am lucky, someone will come after me because they are doing something better than I am. Hopefully I'm paying attention and I buy them out before they get too big to be a threat. This is whats called a SWOT analysis. That's Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat.

I have seen a number of very large settlements with financial institutions as well as them being forced to admit fault. I don't know about you, but the people in charge seem to have been holding companies accountable.

Kenneth Lay was indicted by grand jury, was going to get 20-30 years and died before he could face trial. I'm glad you are still angry about it. Too bad the stock market is at record highs now though...

By the way, the above is all personal responsibility. You just want to be mad at boogiemen. That is fine. It is comfortable being angry at someone else. It is very cathartic to walk away knowing that you are better than those filthy companies because they must be bad guys for making all that money, how dare they.

If only you were in charge, things would be different...

They wouldn't though. Would they? No. Everyone says that until they get into the big chair. Then they realize, it is never different.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Don't worry you guys, Obama will change all this, you'll see

:fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ladyboy pancake posted:

Literally :vince: right now.

quote:

But can you abort it?

• Locked thread