Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well if it doesn't have bad acting and writing then I'll watch it cause it's about aliens I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Not as good as Aliens vs Predator.

That had WRESTLING MOVES in it! :patriot:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Resurrection was better than Alien 3, although I haven't seen this new "assembly cut" of aliens 3 which I hear turns a pretty lame film into a film

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fandyien posted:

whoever told you that is a liar. it's just not action-packed like, at all, it might be the most ponderous sci fi i've seen besdies Stalker

Wow drat holy poo poo I mean Jesus that was really good a really good movie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow drat holy poo poo I mean Jesus that was really good a really good movie

good poo poo man. it really pays off in the end imo and the cinematography + science is much better than most sci fi

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was really good it reminded me a lot of the Chinese mission to Europa in 2010 a space odyssey where it's like poo poo man, they just got hosed cause poo poo happened. I really liked that approach.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Europa Report is okay at best but the ending is silly and there's a weird fakeout which seems unnecessary.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tujague posted:

Resurrection was better than Alien 3, although I haven't seen this new "assembly cut" of aliens 3 which I hear turns a pretty lame film into a film

Have you watched it recently? I used to like Resurrection when I was a kid but going back to it.. it's well terrible.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've seen a lot of bad sci-fi. I recently watched a low budget found footage movie about some guys who go on a ghost hunt & stumble upon what looks like a loving machine & turns out to be a time travel device for some time traveling shutterbug aliens that used to live on the moon & have a sizable poloroid collection & live in old abandoned office buildings & sewers. At one point someone shoots off what is clearly a bottle rocket and it's referred to later on as a UFO. Bad sci-fi has never stopped me from watching more bad sci-fi.

what stephen king said about horror is true for sci-fi too. you have to sit through a lot of garbage in order to find something good. sometimes that's part of the fun, i mean there are a ton of movies i would have never seen if i hadn't seen hours and hours of trash before it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

what looks like a loving machine & turns out to be a time travel device for some time traveling shutterbug aliens

I want to specify that by "loving machine" I mean a machine that fucks you and the goobers in the movie take it back to their place & strap it to their face & I was really disappointed when it turned out to be a time machine instead of an alien insemination machine & I think there's still a movie to be made out of that concept.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Tujague posted:

The assembly cut adds a bit of payoff to certain threads, characters and scenes. It also expands the whole industrial gothic religious aspect where certain prisoners see the Alien as a hosed up bio-mechanical angel of death, which I personally loving dug.

I still like what that film tried to achieve. Whether or not it SHOULD have tried with this franchise is another story. Alien 3 is a worthy film

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 30, 2014

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
When the android guy gets ripped up and oozes white blood and spaghetti everywhere and still talks is super creepy. It kinda comes out of nowhere and freaked out 13 year old me when i first watched it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

resurrection was really lovely, mainly because of that cross dna whatever causing the queen alien to give live birth to ripley-face alien. i mean really that was worse than all of the alien vs predators (movies and games) combined.

Tripalium
Mar 20, 2009

coin coin connard
resurrection was awful, it also had that terrifying midget looking guy Jeunet loves to cast in everything he does

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

SHISHKABOB posted:

I hear Europa report was really bad, like really genuinely bad. Which is the only reason I haven't watched it yet honestly.

Compared to Dark Star it's Citizen loving cane. Dark Star almost ruins the cool bits of Aliens.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I watched Alien on psychedelics and it was super intense. I kept thinking an alien was gonna pop out at any moment for the rest of the night

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

Europa Report is okay at best but the ending is silly and there's a weird fakeout which seems unnecessary.

Idk I thought the ending was good but yeah the fake out was a lil unnecessary but it mirrored the lack of knowledge earth had about the mission.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alien is a pretty neat movie I guess.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Just got Alien and the Director's cut on blu ray for 5$. Which version should I watch first?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Alien is a pretty neat movie I guess.

You were pretty great in all the movies man. You gave me childhood nightmares and I love you for it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Just got Alien and the Director's cut on blu ray for 5$. Which version should I watch first?

Is your first time watching it? Director's Cut. It explains something important not otherwise introduced 'til the second movie.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Das Boo posted:

Is your first time watching it? Director's Cut. It explains something important not otherwise introduced 'til the second movie.

It isn't my first time but it's been YEARS. I'll watch the Cut. Thanks!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It really is. It might be the finest, most atmospheric horror film of the past 50 years.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Yes it is a very good movie, as reflected in its IMDB rating of 8.5.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Fandyien posted:

science is much better than most sci fi

good science is the key

good science + meh fiction is better than meh science + good fiction

I think I'll dig up Forbidden Planet and watch it again.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Alien is a fantastic horror movie. By today's standards, it's a very slow burn, but completely worth it once everything starts going to poo poo. The cast are excellent and portray tired drudges so well. Ridley Scott is an excellent director.

Aliens is an amazing action movie with a lot of Vietnam War subtext and some of the most quotable lines in the history of movies. James Cameron was at the top of his game.

Alien is from the seventies and Aliens came out in 1986. loving amazing. Absolutely no computer animation. The sets, props, puppets and miniatures somehow make both movies better.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 31, 2014

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dee eight posted:

good science is the key

good science + meh fiction is better than meh science + good fiction

I think I'll dig up Forbidden Planet and watch it again.

yeah hard science fiction is consistently the best. it's why bradbury and clarke were top of their game. i mean that doesn't read as very scientifically accurate in retrospect but the tone and respect for internal consistency are what distinguish them and most hard sci fi

dmtnyc
Sep 12, 2003
If you don't shed at least one tear when you see the Disney fireworks display, then you do not have a heart.

InterFaced posted:

You were pretty great in all the movies man. You gave me childhood nightmares and I love you for it.

I AM THE ALIEN I ATE TOM SKERRIT'S FACE AMA

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fandyien posted:

yeah hard science fiction is consistently the best. it's why bradbury and clarke were top of their game. i mean that doesn't read as very scientifically accurate in retrospect but the tone and respect for internal consistency are what distinguish them and most hard sci fi

I love Bradbury's work and I've probably read most of it, but I'm not sure he was a science fiction writer. Besides a few works, like The Martian Chronicles, his writing is really hard to classify. I figure his publishers picked sci-fi because there was nothing else Bradbury fit into. Most of his work is wonderful, but I'm not sure there's a lot of hard science. Asimov and Heinlein are probably much closer to hard science fiction.

To get back on track, the cast of Aliens playing the Colonial Marines were required to read Heinlein's Starship Troopers to prepare for their roles.

It's a very controversial book, but I strongly suggest reading it. It's full of surprises and nothing like the Verhoeven movie. For starters, the protagonist is Filipino.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 31, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's worth watching both versions of all 4 of the movies, but I think my "preferred" versions of Alien and Alien3 are somewhere between the two versions they each have. Both movies have a bunch of alternate scenes that aren't present in the other version, and the Alien director's cut is actually shorter than the theatrical cut.

Also when I get home I think I'll post a pic of myself with a facehugger on my face, for GBS's amusement.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

I love Bradbury's work and I've probably read most of it, but I'm not sure he was a science fiction writer. Besides a few works, like The Martian Chronicles, his writing is really hard to classify. I figure his publishers picked sci-fi because there was nothing else Bradbury fit into. Most of his work is wonderful, but I'm not sure there's a lot of hard science. Asimov and Heinlein are probably much closer to hard science fiction.

yeah i was thinking of asimov and clarke, less so bradbury. i'd argue that heinlein was even more schizophrenic though, he was all over the loving place, going from starship troopers (libertarian fascism endorsement) to stranger in a strange land, the king of hippy books

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fandyien posted:

yeah i was thinking of asimov and clarke, less so bradbury. i'd argue that heinlein was even more schizophrenic though, he was all over the loving place, going from starship troopers (libertarian fascism endorsement) to stranger in a strange land, the king of hippy books

If I remember correctly, Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke were considered the 'Big Three' of science fiction.

Heinlein did seem to go batshit near the end of his career. He also threw a ton of subversive poo poo into his 'young adult' titles.

Starship Troopers was on the required reading list for the Marines and the Navy for a long time.

Hell, the DARPA project to create powered combat armor is based on Heinlein's story. That's loving crazy, or loving cool, depending on your point of view.

SPOILER FOR A MOVIE MADE IN 1986: And it's likely that the Power Loader Ripley used to beat the poo poo out of the Queen was inspired by the book as well.

As an aside, you could successfully argue that the entire Halo series is, to be diplomatic, 'inspired' by James Cameron's Aliens. Starcraft certainly was and Blizzard isn't shy about giving credit where credit is due. Doom certainly was as well.

tldr: Heinlein crazy. Lots of genre defining video games owe their existence to a movie that is almost thirty years old.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 31, 2014

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Well there goes my evening, I'm gonna have to re-watch Alien, Aliens, and Alien Ressurection. Aliens 3 can get bent.:colbert:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Alien, for me, remains the pinnacle of how to do portray ordinary people interacting naturally rather than actors 'acting naturally'.

(If that makes sense)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
To the thread title.

Yes.

Aliens is also wonderful, it gets dicey from there.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Thanks for planning my Friday cool beans

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

dontcareaboutname posted:

i can't wait till they make a movie called alien and its just people freaking out because a mexican is in a suburb

I heard that the Mexican marine lady in Aliens went into the audition for the movie thinking that the movie was about exactly that, not realizing it was supposed to be a sequel to Alien.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InterFaced posted:

I like lots of dumb movies about space and space monsters and this is a good one.

That's because all of those dumb movies about space monsters want so bad to be Alien. Comparing Alien to that stuff is like comparing Die Hard to every movie that really wanted to be Die Hard since. Aliens got one great sequel, Die Hard got a couple watchable ones, but even they couldn't manage this.

And amusingly, you know why Aliens worked? Why it's considered a great sequel, or even superior by some people? It doesn't want to be Alien. At all. It wanted to be an action movie that was set in the same universe, with consistent characters. It has it's own thing to do, clearly. After all, is there any reason a romance film and horror film couldn't be in the same "universe?"

So yeah. The lesson to take away from this really is that the best sequels have a clear vision of their own, and aren't retreads, and that copycatting a film will always result in a weaker result.. even if you are the sequel.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 31, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I heard that the Mexican marine lady in Aliens went into the audition for the movie thinking that the movie was about exactly that, not realizing it was supposed to be a sequel to Alien.

vasquez? according to this thing she showed up for auditions in a dress and heels b/c she didnt know she was reading for a marine

shes also like 5'2 :whoa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

vasquez? according to this thing she showed up for auditions in a dress and heels b/c she didnt know she was reading for a marine

shes also like 5'2 :whoa:

Amusing trivia: That's what Hudson's "She heard alien and thought they said illegal alien and signed up!" crack was about, entirely. Because that's literally how she got the part.

I'm glad too. For a long time (even now) - in particular in the 90s - she's kind of the gold standard of a female action lead to me. She actually looks capable of doing her job 100%, and comes off as completely capable, and the best overall combatant in the group. And with none of this in your face I'M A GIRL SO I CAN ROCK TOO bullshit. She just does it and it becomes a non-issue. To be honest the only character that's come to rival her recently is Brienne on Game of Thrones. She gets into a fight with one of the toughest, biggest sons of bitches on the show and she physically looks and acts like she can take them head-on, or even out-smash them. So it's a split decision these days. Of course a lot of the other female characters in Cameron movies are great too, just saying it's so drat nice to see women soldiers that actually appear as if they are in fact soldiers and not models dressed in (probably skimpy) camo.

ED: I've just realized I've watched Aliens enough times growing up that I could probably re-write the script with about 95% accuracy if I had to. I can't say that about other movies.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread