Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Alien is a great movie. I love slow atmospheric sci-fi. I love sci-fi horror. I love speculative fiction about how lovely the future is. I love that whole cast. If you get a bunch of theater types & put them on a small set with practical effects you can get some pretty good work out of them and everyone in that movie puts in a great performance. I wish there were less movies about shooting guns at things in space and more movies about people getting their asses handed to them by freaky poo poo in space. Well, anyway, that's my opinion of the movie.

you might like europa report then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

a hole-y ghost posted:

isn't that the movie about the jewish kid that goes undercover as a nazi?

no its about astronauts going to a jupiter moon and poo poo happens with some boring stuff inbetween the poo poo happenings

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Fandyien posted:

science is much better than most sci fi

good science is the key

good science + meh fiction is better than meh science + good fiction

I think I'll dig up Forbidden Planet and watch it again.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Science fiction author derail continuation: Larry Niven is pretty good for hard science stuff too.

Aliens derail: I once traced a Beetle Bailey and Sgt. Snorkel panel and made their name tags read Hudson and Apone. Beetle Hudson was saying, "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?" and Sgt. Apone was thinking, "I shoulda gone to OCS."

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

redshirt posted:

Isn't Hudson everyone's favorite Colonial Marine? He's mine, for sure.

I always loved that he went out a hero, giving them aliens some till he can give no more.

Hudson's last stand is the high point of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Fandyien posted:

yo im gonna eat a bunch of hash candy and watch a sci fi movie tonight what should i watch

do a double feature: dark star followed by forbidden planet

• Locked thread