Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, Rocket completely understands what Groot is saying. Groot is actually really intelligent and communicates all ideas and thoughts with "I am Groot."

Oh I wasn't suggesting that Groot isn't communicating, I just didn't know if Rocket was actually able to understand it, or if he just responded to whatever he wanted to think Groot was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I liked that Groot talking to Rocket was a combination of Rocket understanding Groot and Rocket wrestling with his subconscious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Riven posted:

Drax is just written very inconsistently. His non reaction to "we give a poo poo" that others have pointed out is the best example.

I thought he just was not paying attention to what others were saying as for the other comment he heard other people call her that so he assumed.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he just was not paying attention to what others were saying as for the other comment he heard other people call her that so he assumed.

When else was she called that? I don't remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

morestuff posted:

When else was she called that? I don't remember.

I think they called her that in jail.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Didn't drax also say he wasn't listening to the give a poo poo speech?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Didn't drax also say he wasn't listening to the give a poo poo speech?
Yes and that was another amazing joke that utterly killed me too.

"Oh, I wasn't listening. I was thinking about something else."

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Strange Matter posted:

Yes and that was another amazing joke that utterly killed me too.

"Oh, I wasn't listening. I was thinking about something else."

You guys are right. I need to watch this again. It was easy to miss so much.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

jivjov posted:

So apparently GotG had a better Thursday Night/Midnight gross than Winter Soldier. That is INSANE to me. I mean, its a Marvel film, they've been marketing the hell out of it, but how does it do better than Captain America?

It's catching the Marvel crowd, the Star Wars/Avatar crowd, and the, uhhh, Parks & Rec comedy crowd? Plus Rocket and Groot are convincing more parents its young kid friendly. Even ignoring the heavy use of music in the movie, they probably caught a lot more attention using 70s songs in the trailers than pretentious epic music, and the ads have been EVERYWHERE on tv for the past couple of months.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Another pedantic question I was wondering while watching, are all of the characters actually speaking English to each other? Or is it an alien language that's represented as English in the script for obvious reasons?

It has no effect at all on my enjoyment of this movie, just a weird detail I was thinking about that maybe comic readers would have an answer to.

vvvv Cool, thanks!

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Another pedantic question I was wondering while watching, are all of the characters actually speaking English to each other? Or is it an alien language that's represented as English in the script for obvious reasons?

Universal translators. I think Star-Lord's is built into his helmet, if I remember right.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hobo Clown posted:

It has no effect at all on my enjoyment of this movie, just a weird detail I was thinking about that maybe comic readers would have an answer to.

There's actually an answer in the movie, though you can't pause in the theater to see it. At the "roll call" scene that was in all the trailers, you can pause during Peter Quill's description, when the text is on the screen, and see that it says he has a translator chip implanted in his neck or his helmet or something like that. I can't recall exactly where it was.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 1, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mikeraskol posted:

There's actually an answer in the movie, though you can't pause in the theater to see it. At the "roll call" scene that was in all the trailers, you can pause during Peter Quill's description, when the text is on the screen, and see that it says he has a translator trip implanted in his neck or his helmet or something like that. I can't recall exactly where it was.

The same screen shows his code name as Space-Lord.. :laugh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thought the movie was great. Really funny stuff. The best laugh in the movie though for me was Groot's grin, you know the one I'm talking about if you've seen it. Beyond that pretty much every line Drax had was gold.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I loved when John C. Reilly called him Star Prince and kept referring to it as his codename. The payoff for all of that was magnificent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Come on man, it's an outlaw name!

The humor in this was just the right level.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

So apparently GotG had a better Thursday Night/Midnight gross than Winter Soldier. That is INSANE to me. I mean, its a Marvel film, they've been marketing the hell out of it, but how does it do better than Captain America?

because it's easier to get a bunch of young adults to the theater on a Thursday night when they don't have school Friday morning

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

jivjov posted:

Chris Pratt is a freaking goof ball and people love him. This movie appeals to more demographics. Watch the trailer. It looks like a blast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'd rather take kids to see this than Winter Soldier, while Winter Soldier is a good film , I probably wouldn't take kids that are under 12 to see it.

My nephews when we went and saw Winter Soldier were bored then it was action then they were bored again. They didn't really enjoy it and get a lot of it.

This however is easy " Talking Racoon with a gun".

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Chris Pratt is a freaking goof ball and people love him. This movie appeals to more demographics. Watch the trailer. It looks like a blast.

I've seen more people say this movie looks stupid and is something they don't want to watch based on the trailer than would ever say that about Captain America, which is a standard political thriller action movie that is great but isn't really risky/out-there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mikeraskol posted:

I've seen more people say this movie looks stupid and is something they don't want to watch based on the trailer

You don't want to be friends with those sorts of people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Why do you hang out among robots?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Can I get some more love for the soundtrack because I can't stop listening to it. It's like the code combination to unlocking the happy part of my brain.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had a friend who thought that the concept sounded terrible and stupid when I told it to her after it was announced, then when the first trailer hit decided it looked fun, then went to the midnight thing with me yesterday and LOVED it. So yeah, if you weren't sold by the first trailer you're probably an emotionless husk of a person.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
To be fair a couple of the TV ads were kind of :effort: I guess. But the trailers that are good are basically concentrated :woop:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 1, 2014

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
It did 11.2 million in thursday previews, that the biggest previews this year.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

sean10mm posted:

To be fair a couple of the TV ads were kind of :effort: I guess. But the trailers that are good are basically concentrated :woop:

I thought the trailers were actually good and reflected the film. The only odd one was that one UK trailer which replaced the good music with the cinematic score. Like every other movie out there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Glad to see this being a success, I knew nothing about GOTG but it was very fun to watch it's always nice having a good, new franchise out there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's new in the sense that these aren't characters that Marvel spends a lot of effort on pushing. Most or all of them were originally written in the 1970's, but were off-and-on periphery characters in Marvel's weird-as-all-get-out space opera stories. There's a '60's team and a 2008 team, which bear little resemblance to each other. Hopefully a knowledgeable comics goon can fill in more details.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Just saw it. I agree that there could have been some more "show, don't tell" moments, or maybe just some better ways of telling. The Kree/Xandarian conflict and Ronan's motivations. I feel like they were simplified for a general audience.

But overall the movie owned. And now I want to see Drax and Thor interacting with each other, and Howard the Duck doing absolutely anything. Give me a MCU Howard the Duck movie!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's new in the sense that these aren't characters that Marvel spends a lot of effort on pushing. Most or all of them were originally written in the 1970's, but were off-and-on periphery characters in Marvel's weird-as-all-get-out space opera stories. There's a '60's team and a 2008 team, which bear little resemblance to each other. Hopefully a knowledgeable comics goon can fill in more details.

Yeah that's right for the most part. This team was just put together in recent years by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning though it's missing a couple characters from that incarnation. All are characters that have been around for years. Gamora and Drax especially showed up in a lot of old Jim Starlin stories involving Thanos. Rocket and Groot and Quill were less featured for a very long time. The original Guardians team was a group from the 31st century. The only character from that team in the movie is Yondu, but he's almost a completely different character in the movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Just got back from this in IMAX 3D. What an incredible ride.

I grew up reading comics here and there but got most of my info from reading Wizard magazine every month. That said, I knew nothing about GotG going into this. My lack of knowledge didn't distract me from being amazed at how fun and grandiose everything is in this flick. The scale and scope of the galaxy and the visual effects are outstanding. The characters are cool, funny and effective (I'm surprised with how many ways Groot actually came in useful). The sentiment reached a bit but was always scaled back in the end to remind the audience to laugh about it, save for most of Starlord's background which was appropriately dramatic to give the character depth and likability. I'd say Gamora was the weakest character but she still served her purpose.

My biggest complaint about the movie is that while the tension was there (I can recall rubbing my hands together nervously in anticipation of how things were going to play out during some of the bigger set-pieces) nothing really felt all that urgent. The main villain doesn't get fleshed out very well, and Thanos is only imposing because most people know that he's a serious loving badass. Other than that, the threat in the movie exists simply because there needs to be some threat. We have no real motive or background as to what drives the evil force. The heroes are really well fleshed out and the way they're brought together happens very quickly and efficiently. I applaud the writers for that wholeheartedly. However, I can't help but wish I would have cared more that the villain was being defeated because there was something there to make me hate him, not just "oh the bad guy lost.. we all knew that was going to happen anyway" and even though the heroes win and everything is hunky-dory in the end, the city is still half smashed to smithereens.

My complaints may seem substantial but they really pale in comparison to how awesome the movie is. It felt like Star Wars meets Mass Effect meets the Marvel Universe and that's all I can really ask for.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Oh I know. I just meant the "spend lot of effort" like you said. I'm hoping this will have Marvel expand things even further, cause honestly I don't need an Iron Man 20 or whatever.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

Just got back from this in IMAX 3D. What an incredible ride.

I grew up reading comics here and there but got most of my info from reading Wizard magazine every month. That said, I knew nothing about GotG going into this. My lack of knowledge didn't distract me from being amazed at how fun and grandiose everything is in this flick. The scale and scope of the galaxy and the visual effects are outstanding. The characters are cool, funny and effective (I'm surprised with how many ways Groot actually came in useful). The sentiment reached a bit but was always scaled back in the end to remind the audience to laugh about it, save for most of Starlord's background which was appropriately dramatic to give the character depth and likability. I'd say Gamora was the weakest character but she still served her purpose.

My biggest complaint about the movie is that while the tension was there (I can recall rubbing my hands together nervously in anticipation of how things were going to play out during some of the bigger set-pieces) nothing really felt all that urgent. The main villain doesn't get fleshed out very well, and Thanos is only imposing because most people know that he's a serious loving badass. Other than that, the threat in the movie exists simply because there needs to be some threat. We have no real motive or background as to what drives the evil force. The heroes are really well fleshed out and the way they're brought together happens very quickly and efficiently. I applaud the writers for that wholeheartedly. However, I can't help but wish I would have cared more that the villain was being defeated because there was something there to make me hate him, not just "oh the bad guy lost.. we all knew that was going to happen anyway" and even though the heroes win and everything is hunky-dory in the end, the city is still half smashed to smithereens.

My complaints may seem substantial but they really pale in comparison to how awesome the movie is. It felt like Star Wars meets Mass Effect meets the Marvel Universe and that's all I can really ask for.

The villain not being fleshed out thing isn't a huge deal to me... I mean, in the first Star Wars movie Darth Vader gets basically no characterization besides "space wizard/100% a dick" and he doesn't get anything approaching a personality or motivation until the sequels came along.

That's one of the ways I'd see this as being like Star Wars - the movie is really about the protagonists and the villains aren't so much characters as they are obstacles to be overcome.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I saw it for a second time today and Ronan's motivations are pretty clearly laid out during his introduction. He states that he follows the old laws, and basically doesn't stand for that hippy, Xandarian bullshit. So really, he's just a huge Kree conservative rear end in a top hat that has no problem with killing.

Take away the killing part, and he's basically a space Tea Partier.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bob Quixote posted:

The villain not being fleshed out thing isn't a huge deal to me... I mean, in the first Star Wars movie Darth Vader gets basically no characterization besides "space wizard/100% a dick" and he doesn't get anything approaching a personality or motivation until the sequels came along.

That's one of the ways I'd see this as being like Star Wars - the movie is really about the protagonists and the villains aren't so much characters as they are obstacles to be overcome.

Hey, nobody's 100% a dick.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Also, in a way the villain isn't so much the dude as it is the gem (which is CLEARLY shown to gently caress poo poo up.) When the slave girl tries to use it, we are shown that it's a badass destructive weapon and that it doesn't really matter WHO uses it, it's their intentions (and even then their intentions barely matter, if it touches ANYTHING organic you're hosed). We know all we need to know really early on. Bad dude wants this object, this object (we are explicitly shown) is extremely dangerous, good dudes must stop bad dude (or anyone) from getting this object. So, really, we don't need extensive backstory on that guy or anything more establishing than that. It's REALLY about the gem.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

morestuff posted:

Not sure what you're getting at. He doesn't understand the basic concept of metaphors, so he assumes she's actually a whore for no reason?

How much weight do you put into his perception, though? He speaks literally - but that just means his opinion of her is like that, not that it's fact. The fact is he started off wanting to murder her, and even when he comes around he carries the wight of her being a daughter of Thanos I mean by this point in the movie he's also discovered what a metaphor is, too.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Also, in a way the villain isn't so much the dude as it is the gem (which is CLEARLY shown to gently caress poo poo up.) When the slave girl tries to use it, we are shown that it's a badass destructive weapon and that it doesn't really matter WHO uses it, it's their intentions (and even then their intentions barely matter, if it touches ANYTHING organic you're hosed). We know all we need to know really early on. Bad dude wants this object, this object (we are explicitly shown) is extremely dangerous, good dudes must stop bad dude (or anyone) from getting this object. So, really, we don't need extensive backstory on that guy or anything more establishing than that. It's REALLY about the gem.

To carry the Star Wars parallels further, the gem is pretty much just a tiny Death Star that our plucky gang of misfits has to destroy/contain so that a zealot of the old religion can't use it blow up a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Bob Quixote posted:

To carry the Star Wars parallels further, the gem is pretty much just a tiny Death Star that our plucky gang of misfits has to destroy/contain so that a zealot of the old religion can't use it blow up a planet.

Dang. The reference also kinda works with the perfect shot where Drax and Rocket dislodge the gem from the hammer

• Locked thread