Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have seen a lot of people comparing this to Farscape, just from the trailers. So, how accurate is that comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I doubt you ever see the Guardians in an Avengers movie, that are five additional characters that need screentime, plus supporting cast.

My guess, we get something like they did with Loki, with Thanos suffering some kind of defeat that force him to head to Earth, were the gems will probably eventually all end up.

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was serviceable, and I enjoyed Lee Pace's performance, but he and his whole cause felt like a less inspired version of the Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick. The whole MCU is really struggling to put together memorable villains. The two best ones, the Mandarin in IM3 and Loki in the Thors, are only sort-of villains; Loki's most straightforwardly villainous turn, in The Avengers, is also his worst outing.

Which is weird because I'd normally think of superhero stories as being a rich ground for fun villains.

That's because these movies don't really depend on the villains, they rely on the interaction of the heroes with each other and the action to entertain the audience.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm quite certain the Aether has also been confirmed as as an Infinity Stone, but maybe not which one it is?

It has, in the Thor 2 stinger, by the Collector.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Since Nebula pretty much confirmed that Thanos has other children, I a pretty sure we are going to see Moondragon eventually.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Pander posted:

I started with the 2008 #1 comic on marvel comics unlimited (yay $1 month deal). It's a bit confusing in the early-going because there's several characters not in the movies (at least not with any real role in the movies) and it kinda dumps you in the middle of some action. Fun read so far. Question for people who know this stuff well, is there a better jumping off point to get into it, or is that as good a point as any?

e. ^^^ what he said.

The Guardians of the Galaxy ongoing was the direct result of a huge event that changed a lot of stuff and set things in motions of which you only really see the resolution in the comic series. It also changed a lot of characters, like Drax or Ronan, who had been around for a long time, but really used in (then) recent years. There is this picture floating around on the net, which a recommended reading order.

found it: http://i.imgur.com/qZoZJyc.jpg?1

e X fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 4, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Calico Heart posted:

I hear the new Guardians of the Galaxy features Iron Man and other boring people.

Basically I don't really feel like I need an introduction to the characters so much as I want to just read about them having fun adventure, and was wondering what would be a good comic to start on and storyline to follow?

Worse, it features Brian Michael Bendis as writer

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Calico Heart posted:

I hear the new Guardians of the Galaxy features Iron Man and other boring people.

Basically I don't really feel like I need an introduction to the characters so much as I want to just read about them having fun adventure, and was wondering what would be a good comic to start on and storyline to follow?

In that case the 2008 relaunch is a good start. Basically, after the latest space-sharreing catastrophe, Starlord decides to create the Guardians to protect the galaxy. The first view issue also use a video log gimmick, were the action is inter-cut with the team giving a mission debriefing afterwards, which creates a couple of funny scenes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mahoning posted:

So wait, is the Tesseract with the Collector or is it on Asgard?

The Tesseract is in Asgard's vault, the Aether is with the Collector.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I just started reading Annihalation. This is the first time I've read a book with Ronan in it and man...I like him a lot so far just three issues in. I liked his movie version but so far I wish they hadn't killed his character some how in the movie.

Eh, I don't think it matters, there is no way we would ever gotten enough movies to get his character close to like he is in the comics.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Marvel hires directors that they can easily control. :tinfoil:

That's less :tinfoil: and more exactly what they do. See Antman. They found a formula that easily sells their product to a wide audience to vast critical acclaim and if you want to be a part of it, you got to play by their rules.

Marvel movies are now basically what James Bond used to be.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's a Roald Dahl story about giants who travel to earth at night to eat children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Friendly_Giant

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

XboxPants posted:

You kind of have to, since neither the Skrulls and the Shiar are available for Marvel. poo poo man, they can't even use the Brood Dire Wraiths Phalanx Badoon. There's a reason they're using third-tier obscure alien races. Maybe we'll get Kymellians one day. :haw:

They can use the Skrulls. Apparently only specific characters, like the Super Skrull, are off limits. But I guess they don't really need them, since they have a pretty specific gimmick, and without making an infiltration story, they just feel out of place.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I saw the Islamic parallels as well, I just got hung up on the name Kree and thought I'd ask where people would know more about the comic background than me.

As far as I can tell you, the name thing is a coincidence. The Kree are pretty fascist in the comics, your usual hyper-militarist, expansive empire, ruled by a artificial intelligence represented by a really big head, with Ronan being kind of a Judge Dredd like character, who judges and executes people.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sometimes I do wonder how exactly it was determined what characters belong to what IP. I just read Ronan's wikipedia page to double check a few things and he made his first appearance in a Fantastic Four comic.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Adam Warlock was a pretty central figure in the earlier Cosmic Marvel stuff and he was kind of Thanos arch nemesis, but he is also really, really weird.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 11, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I honestly thought the reveal of Quill's father was one of the weaker points of the movie. I thought the whole point was that these guys were essentially a bunch of Dirty Dozen like characters who were forced to become better people in the process of rescuing a planet, so revealing in the end that Quill actually is special kind of undermined that point.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It wasn't just him being half-alien, they made it pretty clear that it something special and unique, even among aliens.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was just that they did not have his dna on file. It could be special or it could just be an alien that they did not know about.

An ancient, angelic being, unlike anything I have ever seen before!

Yeah, it's a slug person from Riegel.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Question for people who are knowledgeable about the comics, could Ronan have actually killed Thanos with the aid of an Infinity Stone as he threatened in the film?

The answer is a reassuring 'maybe?'. I mean, what character wins in the end, be it by cunning, fate or just plain old beat down, is always determined by the narrative, so all waxing about who could beat who is always kinda moot without the context of the story they appear in.

Thanos whole deal was his mad quest for absolute power, which he almost always succeeds in, so he very rarely faced off against others on equal footing, but even in newer stories, where he is, while not really a good guy, not the antagonist anymore, he has a tendency to walk over everybody until he runs into another space god.

Ronan on the other hand was really only the chief justice of a powerful alien empire, but he has the two most powerful comic weapons with him, conviction and a cool look. Plus, he is overall much more heroic than Thanos even at his best.

There is also the thing that the gems are actually never used in the comics, outside of the titular gauntlet, so, who knows.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Neo Rasa posted:

movie stuff

The great thing is that the space theme of the movie really works as a great meta origin to explain way most question about these characters. They are aliens. The only time it doesn't work is with Thanos, since he is portrayed as exceptional, even in this weird universe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That you can put Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla and Guardians into one category really tells you how little Sci-Fi, as a label, actually means.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Nycticeius posted:

I'd personally like to see a blu-ray version of the movie with Groot-subtitles.

I don't sub-titling everything with 'I am Groot' would be helpful to anyone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are Inhumans tired up in Fantastic Four? The scene from the books with the Mad Prince and Groot having an advanced astrophysics discussion was hilarious.

They aren't and a lot of people guessed that Marvel would actually start to push them instead of the mutants since they are basically the exact same premise,even though they are used much differently in the comics. There recently was a pretty big event that seemed as if it would lead into more Inhumans int he near future, but nothing came of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

I know about the movie, I meant the comics. There was this big event, with the substance that turns humans into inhumans being released all over America, but it just kinda fizzled out.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Red posted:

- Style over substance (for a majority of the film)
- Heroes/the population facing overwhelming, end of reality-type odds
- Character backstory is related in short conversation
- Very basic theme/story/character types
- Loud/brash characters as sidekicks

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but how do most of these things not also relate to Star Wars?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gyges posted:

It's just Planet Hulk getting built up like Thanos in the background of other movies.

It isn't.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I recently saw a (probably fake) summary of Age of Ultron. It basically took the stuff that is known, like the party where they all try to lift hammer, and build a story around that. It was pretty terrible, but one of the things was that Bruce Banner actually end up in the space by the end of it.

So my theory is that while we might not see Planet Hulk, we might just see Hulk/Banner in Space. There is a number of reason why that could work, the biggest being that they can really cut the Hulk lose, since there are a lot of creatures and planets where he can battle and they don't have to worry about it, would allow them to explore space a little more and, primarily, they can actually have Banner in it a lot and only have the Hulk during the big action sequences.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spacebump posted:

I really wish superhero movies would treat recasting like Bond movies instead of rebooting the whole franchise.

I hear you. I genuinely don't understand that when fans talk about the future of the Marvel franchise, they always default to reboot, without even considering simply recasting people, despite the fact that Marvel has actually done just that before.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That idea goes around a lot, what I sincerely hope for is that Dr. Strange will movie away from the formula of having both, hero and villain after a an Infinity Stone, with both sides trying to use it somehow.

I.e. if the movie turns out to be about, let's say Mordo, trying to find the soul gem to free Dormamu and Doctor Strange hunting it to keep it safe, with the gem repeatedly changing ownership until Mordo manages to free his master, only for Strange to banish him back using the gem, I would be somewhat disappointed.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wonder if there is a romantic subplot on the cutting floor as well.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mantis42 posted:

Stan Lee should just play the Watcher. All of his cameos are just him keeping a tab on things.

No, they are just movies, not documentaries, hence they don't really any explanation to explain him being there.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mantis42 posted:

It was a joke.

No worries, it's just, you would be surprised how many people seems to be agitated by the cameos and practical demand a in-universe explanation.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think Thanos lack of characterization is directly tied with Gamora's weakness as a character. We never actually get to see why she wants to betray him and build a new life. Neither does her interaction with Nebula give us any indication how she was before she switched sides. We are told that Thanos killed her entire planet, and that is certainly a reason, but she worked with him for years, even earning her a reputation, so it would ahve been nice to know what finally got her to abandon that life.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PriorMarcus posted:

Doesn't Gamora specifically say that she went against Thanos because the power of the stone was one step too far for her and she couldn't stand by any longer?

Nah, she said it was too much power for Ronan, since Thanos already had the ability to blow up planets.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's also the symbol on Starlord's costume in the comics. Which, together with the mask, leat me to think he was some kind of space fireman at first.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, the movie is to much like current Deadpool for my taste, his attitude works best when it is contrasted with some serious elements, but he is basically just a goofball at the moment.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could see Chris Pratt becoming this generation's Harrison Ford, with GotG serving as his launchpad to stardom in much the same way that Star Wars did for Ford.

I also think it's fun in a way that movies very rarely are anymore -- it's just a joy to watch in the same way that the original SW films are or Back to the Future is.

You're probably right that it ain't gonna launch it's own multi-media franchise, and ten years from now we won't have a thread just for GotG spinoff novels. But I could see people being as excited to re-watch GotG in thirty years as people are excited to watch Back to the Future today.

I could totally see him as Indy. He has the right looks and the right demeanor between competent and buffoonish. And he is very likable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Avatar was big because it was the first movie that used the new 3D technology to its full extend. I would also say that it played a huge part in people actually accepting 3D as a thing, hence why it hasn't faded back into obscurity yet, like it's predecessors.

The story was really only secondary and doesn't 'held' up at all. But I kinda doubt that was ever the intention, whatever Cameron says.

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Dune failed in that department because the costumes weren't silly enough.

Plus, you know, Dune.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Or that the entire Superhero registration act is basically forgotten post event, since Steve dying apparently eases Tony's worries about uncontrolled super humans running around.Civil War has the same problem all recent Marvel crossovers had, in that is exists primarily to get the heroes to punch each other. As a result, a lot of interesting ideas and characterization tend to fall on the wayside.

However, it sounds a lot like the MCU Civil War will be something that is confined to Cap 3, without involving Hulk, Thor or any other hero, being primarily a conflict between Iron Man and Captain America, which makes a lot of sense, since those are the two most closely connected to real world authorities and on whom this act would have the most effect. If they actually included some of the metahumans mutants miracles gifted from AoS, if only as background, it could actually make for an interesting story without the clusterfuck it became in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't agree with your last point. Tony was clearly meant to be the villain in that story and was portrayed as such. Cap' may have lost, but he did so in a way where he was trying to minimize damage to innocents caused by their slap fight, and in the end was eventually proven right.

Yeah, that would have made way more sense, but the intention was to have Cap and co as the bad guys of the story.

• Locked thread