Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Might not be a good idea quoting spoilers without tags if you're complaining about being spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guardians of the Galaxy is easily the best Marvel movie. No comparison. Seriously, all I wanted was something well directed that took advantage of the medium and was actually interesting. I smiled through the entire film.

edit: Also, this is going to make Avengers 2 and Ant Man so boring in comparison. poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CRINDY posted:

One of my favorite moments of the movie (and I had many favorite moments) was when Nova Prime is watching the Kree slowly but surely break through their defenses and says "Our first priority is evacuating the city and getting civilians away from the battle" or something along those lines. Yeah, this one's like any other comic book movie where the tone of the violence can turn on a whim, but that line alone helped the movie retain more gravitas and remain more grounded than most other ones I've seen.

When I heard that line, I was actually thinking of Man of Steel, and how I couldn't get over how that film did the exact opposite regarding battles vs. civilians.

Man of Steel approached it "realistically," in that, in these gigantic city breaking battles, people will die and there's nothing the heroes can do to save everyone. Guardians takes the Avengers route of not a single civilian dying on screen and inexplicably completely evacuating entire cities in order to keep everything "lighthearted." The difference between Guardians and Avengers is that the tone of Guardians presents itself to that approach better, as the whole movie comes off as an 80's cartoon where that type of thing is expected.

• Locked thread