Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

How about a new thread? This one has gone on for quite some time now and has seen several different generations of idlers. Would be timely for a fresh start? Might make it less intimidating for new players to check out the genre.

Well this one has been around for 2 years so probably.

RG doesn't really need its own thread cause there's a huge overlap and lots of people play more than one, but including flavor of the month things in the OP would probably help. Especially since the OP has a few things that everyone kinda universally dislikes(Anti-Idle, Adcap for poo balance and update cycle???)

I know a whole lotta people from this thread ended up jumping onto the Amaranthine thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

RG doesn't really need its own thread cause there's a huge overlap and lots of people play more than one,

Well as someone that did bounce off RG I would appreciate if it had it's own thread since it has been about 90% of the posts in this thread for the last month or so, even if that means the idle thread is more... idle.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

dipple posted:

Well as someone that did bounce off RG I would appreciate if it had it's own thread since it has been about 90% of the posts in this thread for the last month or so, even if that means the idle thread is more... idle.

I had the same experience during the Idle Online Universe craze, it's just something that's gonna happen in a genre thread where individual games come in and out of fashion.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, we've gone through the same thing with Mines and Kittens. Even if I don't like the FotM it's cool to see discussion about it because I like to think about what problems the game has and the devs solutions. I get that that isn't for everyone though.

I won't have time to make a new OP till two weekends out, so if it gets done before then, cool and if not I'll just do it. I do think we should talk about what games go in the new OP though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Do people still play IOU or is it dead? I assumed Clicker Heroes was gone by now but according to Steam it seems like that and AdvCap are as strong as ever.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Do people still play IOU or is it dead? I assumed Clicker Heroes was gone by now but according to Steam it seems like that and AdvCap are as strong as ever.

There are at least 4 of us playing IOURPG still, probably a few more but I'm not sure how many. Quite a few dropped off, there has been a big lack of content and a number of downtimes while they switched a whole bunch of back end stuff.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I fell hard into RG. I've just about finished the R16 researches, now just getting the last couple and grinding gems up from about 50 TVg to the R17 line.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

CubicalSucrose posted:

There are at least 4 of us playing IOURPG still, probably a few more but I'm not sure how many. Quite a few dropped off, there has been a big lack of content and a number of downtimes while they switched a whole bunch of back end stuff.

Yeah I'm kind of schleping along doing sometimes less than the bare minimum daily. The real sad thing is that the events are actually pretty neat in their diversity, but every game mechanic they add is basically just another thing you have to do every 8 hours/day and then you ignore it the rest. I get that's the backbone of idling but variety is the spice of life here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So you know how we all keep bitching about wanting build savers in RG?

quote:

In the new version of the game, we will feature Build Template savers for Mercenaries and Researches. Here is a draft of how it will look like:

You will be able to name and save your build locally and easily load at a later time. In addition, it will also generate a string like this:

S50,S105,S150,S435,S460,C80,C105,C330,C400,C460,D55,D290,D320,D400,D560,E200,
E250,E330,E400,E495,E590,A10,A105,A120,A330,A410,W150,W180,W205,W250,W330,
W400,W520

which you will be able to import in the same way you would import a save string, or share with other users. Alongside that, the new UI will also feature the infamous Buy All Upgrades button to speed up the post-abdication experience.

(source)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Welp, I don't think I can bring myself to play again until that's all in.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Same. I was waiting for more updates to RG anyway though - that will make setting things up a lot nicer.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Nice, those features could do well to bring me back in. I fatigued at around R17, going through the motions each abdication. Now all that's left is to fix the artifact droprates, I'm not really looking forward to doing the finnicky ones either.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

IOU is pretty dead. Something about the "gameplay" just turned me off after a bit. Which is sad cause the idea of cooperative stuff is exciting.

Clicker Heroes & AdCap are still sorta alive but don't receive nearly enough content to keep people really interested. AdCap is starting up a beta for something that seems like an intended successor though, Adventure Communism haha

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Amaranthine is still around for the co-op thing now though, unless that also died.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I play IOU and I know about 6-8 other goons were still playing when I left the guild to join a pubbie group. I'm at 441, and almost capped auto attack damage. It's a pretty decent game.

That said it has a ton of downtime and backend issues right now since yahoo shut down the backend and they had to recode the entire backend (and it's still not doing so hot and needs tons of tweeks). I can't recommend i right now, maybe in a few months.

Amar (goon SA link) is a group effort game that you can play as an idle that you press a rainbow or lady bug once an hour to keep making things. Huge group efforts are needed to progress. It's pretty fun, pubbies get angry with any changes the dev makes since the dev hadn't been active for years then suddenly 20 goons showed up and he started making changes, right now we have over 70 active goons playing (roughly 20-30% of the game population).

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Any new clickers out worth playing, especially for mobile? I've been getting back into Kittens and it seems like the dev has been semi active in updating it, just kind on a brick wall in terms of progress though.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Eldercain posted:

Amaranthine is still around for the co-op thing now though, unless that also died.

Yeah a lot of us are still playing & people are extremely mad about how fast we've been advancing.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Yeah a lot of us are still playing & people are extremely mad about how fast we've been advancing.

Oh poo poo making pubbies mad is one of the most important multiplayer experiences you can have. Maybe it's about time I played.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Pubbies getting mad at a clicker/idle game? What a time to be alive.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tracula posted:

Not just mad but assmad, they are locking us out of higher level goods by scouring the market of any sell orders and actively preaching that we are a cult in real life trying to steal members from other guilds. We also have people requesting features for "ignore a whole guild" when we start talking in World Chat.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

pixaal posted:

I play IOU and I know about 6-8 other goons were still playing when I left the guild to join a pubbie group. I'm at 441, and almost capped auto attack damage. It's a pretty decent game.

That said it has a ton of downtime and backend issues right now since yahoo shut down the backend and they had to recode the entire backend (and it's still not doing so hot and needs tons of tweeks). I can't recommend i right now, maybe in a few months.

Amar (goon SA link) is a group effort game that you can play as an idle that you press a rainbow or lady bug once an hour to keep making things. Huge group efforts are needed to progress. It's pretty fun, pubbies get angry with any changes the dev makes since the dev hadn't been active for years then suddenly 20 goons showed up and he started making changes, right now we have over 70 active goons playing (roughly 20-30% of the game population).

I'm in a pubbie IOU guild now too, Radiants. Who did you go with?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tracula posted:

Oh man there has been so much salt over goons in Amar. It's beautiful, simply beautiful.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have been playing Amar for about 3 months. I read about it in this thread, liked it well enough going solo for the first two months, then eventually joined up with the goon guild.

It is like night and day. The shot in the arm goons have given this game is absurd. A user who showered me with advice and freebie gear turned completely against me just for changing my guild tag. It's good to be the king.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Virigoth posted:

Not just mad but assmad, they are locking us out of higher level goods by scouring the market of any sell orders and actively preaching that we are a cult in real life trying to steal members from other guilds. We also have people requesting features for "ignore a whole guild" when we start talking in World Chat.

Welp i had no idea it was this kind of game. I brushed it off as some sort of spergy browser MMO that did not "belong" in this thread. It looks like i will have to try this game out.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I mean it is most definitely a dorky browser MMO, but it's one that definitely has elements of idle incremental games. It does require more attention though just because of bot checks.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

IOU is pretty dead. Something about the "gameplay" just turned me off after a bit. Which is sad cause the idea of cooperative stuff is exciting.

Clicker Heroes & AdCap are still sorta alive but don't receive nearly enough content to keep people really interested. AdCap is starting up a beta for something that seems like an intended successor though, Adventure Communism haha

AdCap recently updated with an increases bonus to gold tickets if you get them for everything on a planet, and then updated with the ability to upgrade those bonuses which meant I was finally able to finish the moon, so they may very well be winding down AdCap.

I know it's kind of a poo poo game, but it's the only mobile idler I've played that scratches the bigger numbers itch without requiring me to constantly nurse it.

RG was fun and I might spin it up again now that I'm between semesters.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh that sounds like a good update, maybe I'll be able to use it and finish Earth now.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Just jumped back in to Amaranthine. I started a few months ago and the botchecks turned me off really quickly. Is there some getting started link or guide or whatever that tells me what I should be doing? I'm chopping cherry logs right now and have some white ruins I guess.

edit: Name is "Cazaam" if I could get an invite.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Merijn posted:

Oh that sounds like a good update, maybe I'll be able to use it and finish Earth now.

iirc finishing earth takes either thousands of dollars or multiple lifetimes. The semi monthly events are pretty cool, however.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Eminai posted:

iirc finishing earth takes either thousands of dollars or multiple lifetimes. The semi monthly events are pretty cool, however.
How the new update works is that you get a x77 bonus for the first :10bux:, then times 777 for 30 and so on. I figured that out that after putting 90 fun dollars into another round of golden tickets. I hated myself for a bit.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Eminai posted:

I don't really see the point of doign the events if they don't give golden tickets though. And I don't think most of them do. :geno:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Goons destroying amarathine? Shoot I may have to come back!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Merijn posted:

I don't really see the point of doign the events if they don't give golden tickets though. And I don't think most of them do. :geno:

They changed it so you can use funbux to upgrade an entire planet once you've used Golden Tickets on all of the investments.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CubicalSucrose posted:

Just jumped back in to Amaranthine. I started a few months ago and the botchecks turned me off really quickly. Is there some getting started link or guide or whatever that tells me what I should be doing? I'm chopping cherry logs right now and have some white ruins I guess.

edit: Name is "Cazaam" if I could get an invite.

You are still in guild or have already reaccepted when I read this.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Any ideas why challenges won't complete in Realm Grinder? I've completed like three of the T2 challenges and they won't unlock. It's not like the ones are hard, undead and goblins and angels.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Carados posted:

Any ideas why challenges won't complete in Realm Grinder? I've completed like three of the T2 challenges and they won't unlock. It's not like the ones are hard, undead and goblins and angels.

Are you using their bloodline when you do it?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Are you using their bloodline when you do it?

Or perhaps you are accidentally opening Dwarfs / Dark Elves?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I think the only dwarf/drow challenge incompatibilities are the tier 3 vanilla challenges in the R18-R28 range, since they require the unique building but you can't have both that and a prestige faction until you unlock prestige research at R29.

Otherwise, just be very diligent about checking the requirements. You need to:

- Be the faction in question (so while as noted above, angel vs. dwangel shouldn't matter for angel challenge 2, you can't do angel challenge 2 as, say, goblins).
- Have at least the reincarnation it indicates (R8 in the case of angel 2).
- Have the prerequisite challenges it indicates (trivial for vanilla factions, but pay closer attention for neutral and prestige).
- Have whatever miscellaneous upgrade it indicates (matching bloodline for vanilla tier 2, e.g. angel bloodline for angel 2).
- Actually do the challenge objectives.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I thought it wanted the bloodline unlock, not bought. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nope, all of those requirements in challenges ask you to actually buy them.

• Locked thread