Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah resetting in the kittens game seems totally not worth it. The bonuses really don't do anything to make the starting grind any easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's been the requested feature, yeah.

Luckily I'm at the point where being a Capitalist doesn't take much time at all - I play for an hour or so post-reset, then let it sit for ages. I finally hit the '1000 of each item' stage, so it takes hours and hours for me to afford anything anyways; still, I thought I was coming close to the end! Dammit.
What'd it take to get to 1000? I'm at 4.4 sextillion angels (without buying the 1 sx upgrade) and I stall out at 950 newspapers, 900 car washes, 1000 everything else. Septendecillions just take so long. Are you idling for, like, more than two days at a time?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Some new games:

Rebuild The Universe where you start from tiny particles up to I have no idea and make the universe. There isn't any active clicking involved, you just wait for numbers to go up and buy more stuff. The numbers get really big. Sort of educational I guess?

Particle Clicker where you run a particle accelerator. Also kind of educational I guess? This one actually has clicking and upgrades instead of just numbers.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 8, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What'd it take to get to 1000? I'm at 4.4 sextillion angels (without buying the 1 sx upgrade) and I stall out at 950 newspapers, 900 car washes, 1000 everything else. Septendecillions just take so long. Are you idling for, like, more than two days at a time?

That last 10 newspapers takes just a shade over 300 Septendecillion. I'm at around 142 sx angels, so it doesn't quite take a couple of days... more like 'almost a day.'

That said, if we're going to be getting achievements - presumably with the standard 'profit x2' modifier - up to 2000 for everything, it's already fairly trivial to get up to 17, 1800 lemonade stands (for example), so that should, I hope, close the gap a bit as they continue to double in profit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Those achievements will go a long way - you can get to 1400 oil and 1700 lemonade without even making an entire septendecillion, which should be 8x to basically your entire output given how much of the heavy lifting they do. Plus, the ability to buy that 1 sx upgrade without sweating the angel loss is probably key too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Plus, the ability to buy that 1 sx upgrade without sweating the angel loss is probably key too.

It really, really is.

My strategy, by the way, has been 'reset when I stand to at least double my total angels;' usually when I do it takes no more than an hour to get back to the position I'd been in pre-reset, except now I'm earning still more money. Then I'll just close the tab and go back to it the next day, check how many angels I stand to earn with a reset, and usually I can just wash, rinse, and repeat. AdCap really benefits from frequent resets in a way that, for instance, Derivative Clicker doesn't (as much). The returns from resetting are enough to get you over the production hump pretty rapidly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

When do you guys suggest your first reset in AdCap?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

When do you guys suggest your first reset in AdCap?

For my money, "when the idea of waiting long enough for the next purchase becomes too boring to stand" is a good time. I actually first reset when I had enough to earn a whopping 2 angels, because I am dumb; that was a waste of time. But somewhere around "I can expect at least double or triple the income" might not be a bad time to do it. Ideally more than that, but if it's a choice between Optimal Strategy and Not Being Bored, I'll take the latter every time.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Any good idle games for Android?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So are there any other games like Candy Box 1-2 and A Dark Room where there's more to it than just the Skinner Box?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Megazver posted:

So are there any other games like Candy Box 1-2 and A Dark Room where there's more to it than just the Skinner Box?

Nothing on quite the same level as those. There are a couple of poor man's candy boxes out there like The Gold Factory that aren't as good but might scratch the same itch, and a couple of the others like cattegame and Sandcastle Builder have enough interesting stuff going on that it's more than a pure Skinner box.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 8, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cattegame PRO-TIPS:

- When you're sacrificing Unicorns skip past Unicorn Tombs and head straight to an Ivory Tower or two. It will speed up Unicorn generation a lot more than a percentage increase on 0.001 per tick per Unicorn Pasture ever will.
- Ivory Citadels don't seem all that worth it for the Ivory meteor chance since by the time you can get one you're already generating your own Ivory from Mints
- It doesn't seem ever worth it to stick cattes in Priest roles, use Chapels if you want faster Faith generation
- Prioritize Workshops for second/third tier efficiency and Trading Posts for better trading output

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Adventure Capitalism just updated. Lemonade is your new lord and savior :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Capitalism question: do upgrades and managers you buy with angel investors persist past resets, or are you permanently losing AIs to repurchase them every reset?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sindai posted:

Capitalism question: do upgrades and managers you buy with angel investors persist past resets, or are you permanently losing AIs to repurchase them every reset?

You lose them every reset but they're worth it so long as you don't buy ones you can barely afford.

E: I just went from about 8 sextillion angels to 1 octillion since the update :stonk:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 8, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sindai posted:

You lose them, but it is generally worth it. The amount of money it takes to get an angel doesn't seem to increase, so as long as you're making money faster you'll be able to recoup the investment cost quickly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drunken officeparty posted:

Some new games:

Rebuild The Universe where you start from tiny particles up to I have no idea and make the universe. There isn't any active clicking involved, you just wait for numbers to go up and buy more stuff. The numbers get really big. Sort of educational I guess?

Wow the upgrades don't apply retroactively

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

pandaK posted:

Wow the upgrades don't apply retroactively

The things in Specials? drat.

I found it kinda weird that you have to go over to the Bonus tab, and click on each +X% A/S icon to activate them, though.

Wasn't expected, but the massive boost from activating like 30-40+ Bonuses at once was amazing.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

SubNat posted:

I found it kinda weird that you have to go over to the Bonus tab, and click on each +X% A/S icon to activate them, though.

Well huh, thanks. I enabled ~100 bonuses, boom.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SubNat posted:

The things in Specials? drat.

Wasn't expected, but the massive boost from activating like 30-40+ Bonuses at once was amazing.

Okay I didn't mean retroactive, it's the opposite. New upgrades you buy after activating a bonus does not have the bonuses applied to them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

pandaK posted:

Okay I didn't mean retroactive, it's the opposite. New upgrades you buy after activating a bonus does not have the bonuses applied to them.

THAT'S EVEN WORSE.

What an odd design choice, they're really cheap too, so you'd end up buying them pretty early.

e: Apparently the dude posts updates and answers on a subreddit devoted to the game.

quote:

Is it intentional that Specials don't change the APS of previous bought items?

NO!

And is it intentional that bonuses only work on currently bought items and are neglectful to any that you would buy from that point further?

YUP!

So yeah, that's honestly a kinda weird choice, buying the upgrade at any other point than the last stage is wasteful, if you're minmaxing it?

They're effectively just a boost that you can activate right before idling for a while, I guess.

e: Or? What? Agh, I am utterly stumped as to how exactly those things work.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Kind of why I lost interest in it. It's pretty but there's nothing there except to mindlessly quick at a steady pace.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

AdCap 1.4.5 is out! I was right with the purchased upgrades being hidden, plus some more goodies

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cookie Clicker's next update wasn't ready for its birthday, but it's close enough that Orteil put out teaser images of the three new buildings: http://orteil42.tumblr.com/

Gonna bake so many cookies.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Sage Grimm posted:

The science gap between Architecture and Physics is ridiculous and I suspect that Observatories not providing their maximum cap (aside from the first?) is loving with the normal progression of things.

EDIT: Oh my god you have to turn them on to get that. Brilliant. I'm an idiot.

Gimnbo posted:

This entire time I had them off. The tooltip is a drat dirty liar.

As of today, the tooltip is no longer a drat dirty liar.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

SubNat posted:

THAT'S EVEN WORSE.

What an odd design choice, they're really cheap too, so you'd end up buying them pretty early.

e: Apparently the dude posts updates and answers on a subreddit devoted to the game.

So yeah, that's honestly a kinda weird choice, buying the upgrade at any other point than the last stage is wasteful, if you're minmaxing it?

They're effectively just a boost that you can activate right before idling for a while, I guess.

e: Or? What? Agh, I am utterly stumped as to how exactly those things work.

As far as I can tell they don't do anything at all. I've just been getting them when I'm the next order of magnitude up and 100 x-illions is nothing to me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My cats' names are in cattegame now. :3:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Are there other civs to discover in cattegame other than Lizards, Sharks, and Griffons? I've sent explorers out since then but haven't had any luck, thankfully the game is cool about that and only consumes 50 catpower when I fail.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Are there other civs to discover in cattegame other than Lizards, Sharks, and Griffons? I've sent explorers out since then but haven't had any luck, thankfully the game is cool about that and only consumes 50 catpower when I fail.

The later civs have requirements. One of the more important ones needs a trading ship and one of the techs that unlocks at the same time.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Is the Barn the only way of raising the gold storage ?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Micr0chiP posted:

Is the Barn the only way of raising the gold storage ?

I just realized trade ships raise your storage for everything. Made 150 of them and nearly doubled it in all areas. My gold storage went from 2.5k to like 4k. Make some of those.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
They add a multiplier to your harbors' storage rates, and they suffer from diminishing returns after a point. But, yeah, if you don't have many, making a few will make a huge difference.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plus that whole needing 250ish to get titanium from every trip to the zebras thing.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I have just shy of 500, they don't feel like they do anything anymore. They were something I could always count on to spend scaffolds on to be useful (that didn't rely on me saving up a ton). :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm curious if anyone is farther than me in this yet. I haven't exactly been minmaxing everything and I've gotten to a point where it's really starting to slow down. The next thing I can buy is V354 Cephei for 5.19 Decillion.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm saving for an M54 Globular Cluster, 501 Tredecillion. I've got 105 of those V354 Cephei things. :smug:

It seems to have a weird curve. The bonuses are worth far more than any new things at this point, its worth pumping all those early ones way up for the massive boosts that come when start being able to buy global 15-16% boosts. I'm starting to slow down, but it really picked up hard when I opened it after shutting my laptop for the night and found I'd been earning while I slept.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For adventure capitalist, how do the +10 lemonade stand for 25M angel upgrades work? Does it increase the price in the same way that buying 10 with cash does?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For adventure capitalist, how do the +10 lemonade stand for 25M angel upgrades work? Does it increase the price in the same way that buying 10 with cash does?

No. They're basically a workaround for how insanely fast newspaper through donut shop go up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

No. They're basically a workaround for how insanely fast newspaper through donut shop go up.
Yeah, it's like they realized that they have this awful mechanic and compensated for it! Price doesn't increase when you buy them, so they're just a band-aid on this actual problem. Interested in seeing how they make it work in this much-touted version 2. At least newspapers give insane bonuses to other stuff, so it makes sense for them to be expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When is it worth it to start buying the angel upgrades in AdvCap?

• Locked thread