Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
If you're into titanium, it's more of an idle game than ever. Don't you have steamworks and automation? Especially with a mint, just turn that stuff on and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Mints are there for idling. If you work out the math on mints, they're kind of terrible for furs and ivory. But... you don't have to hit them every five minutes or whatever. Maybe I'm not as far as you, but for me the gold's not that big a deal. (Then again, I've been favoring a heavily idle-based strategy and got almost the bare minimum of titanium from those terrible Zebras and have been relying on Caliners and lots of free time. And I only got my second Mind recently.)

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

No, really. You need like 250 ships to get half decent returns on trading. It's better than waiting on calciners well before that but when you start needing thousands to do anything you really want to be bringing some back every trip.

According to my math, you need 242.857 ships to get a 100% titanium rate. That's not *so* bad, really; it's not like they have geometrically rising costs. I'm far from the point where my iron is behind my coal, but even if I never buy another workshop again I already have 2/3 of the charts I'll need.

Unless there's more tech that costs star charts...

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but the amount per trade keeps increasing and ships boost your storage eventually so you're never going to be done with the stupid things. But I guess I'll see when I get back up there, paragon and karma make a huge difference. Not sure if there's any more techs for star charts yet but there's talk of space travel that will probably need them.

neongrey posted:

Related to a new change where there's a high-end tech that will automatically and silently handle the astronomical events for you.

So... you have a 1% chance per Observatory to snag rare astronomical events as they expire (doesn't seem to require any tech, just having Observatories).

In my mind this confirms that starcharts are going to be part of later research.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
They add a multiplier to your harbors' storage rates, and they suffer from diminishing returns after a point. But, yeah, if you don't have many, making a few will make a huge difference.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I have just shy of 500, they don't feel like they do anything anymore. They were something I could always count on to spend scaffolds on to be useful (that didn't rely on me saving up a ton). :(

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Finally at the point in Kittens Game where I make more oil/coal with my steamworks and magnetos are all turned on. Feels nice. (Of course, I'm playing the waiting-even-longer-than-normal-for-an-idler game now.)

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

Right now my big limit seems to be compendiums. Do I ever get a better way of making those?

No, not really. I mean, it gets easier with more steamworks, faster science, and more workshops/factories, but it's the same method.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Tradehouses don't change your status, per se, they just increase/decrease the chances of getting a "hated for no reason" or "love your kittens" event out of it.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I disagree; you can't really play the game as an idler nearly as effectively without it.

And if you're not playing it as an idler, I'd say the whole game is terribad.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Imbue a hireling to x12, buy the upgrade.

Don't you need like a handful of Magnificent gems too? I've been source-diving for spoilers, but I've forgotten most of the stuff.

Also, this is the first clicker idler I've cheated on. Clicking is terrible in this one.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Sindai posted:

You shouldn't need to source-dive, all the numbers are in the wiki linked at the bottom of the page.

Yeah but for some reason I find it [mentally] easier, or maybe just more gratifying. Guaranteed to always be as up to date as whatever I'm playing, anyway.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
The secret to all idle games is to not give a gently caress. Except for once or twice a day. Maybe.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Eldercain posted:

It's pretty hard to go anywhere on the internet these days and not trip over giant free video sites, so I'm gonna guess the "hee hee a boob" probably isn't cutting it with today's teens. Not that it isn't effective as people will play anything that has a boob in it and they probably milk a lot of money out of people playing a terrible game for that reason.

Man I've been thinking of writing an idler as a Babby's First Javascript project, and I was going to go in a Dungeon Keeper flavor, but... now I kinda want to make Hee Hee A Boob.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Color Printer posted:

I got back into these again because I hate myself. I'm making one as a javascript exercise and I have a nice framework but I hit a mental roadblock with the theme (as in I have none). At least it's good practice.

I'm already playing Shark Game, aside from Mine Defense are there any other ones that are the big thing right now?

Hee Hee a Boobie. Dooooo itttt.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
So I just discovered Idle Evolution, on Kongregate. Seems cool so far.
It's on other sites too, if you prefer those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Did someone forget to mention Candy Box? Or do they not count as idlers.

• Locked thread