Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
aka Trackmania 2 Goon Cup 1 Season 7

About the Game

Trackmania is a series of racing games made by Nadeo that are all about going fast, drifting through tight corners, dodging obstacles, making sweet jumps, driving through boost pads, loops, corkscrews, vertical tracks and a whole lot more. It's basically the Sonic of racing.

More notable is its massive community support, featuring dedicated online servers supporting hundreds of simultaneous players, and advanced editors which let you easily make tracks, customize cars, create combined replay videos, and a whole lot more.

For this season we're moving away from the older titles and on to the latest Trackmania². We'll still be using the Stadium environment though, as it's the best tuned for competitive play with very tight physics and challenging track pieces.

About the LP

Every year goons get this masochist urge to face hairpin turns and dodge obstacles at breakneck speeds, watch furiously as their car flips out an inch from the finish line, spend hours trying to shave a few milliseconds from their time, all while swearing to our lord and savior Entropist may he have mercy on our souls, and vow never to play again... until next time.

That's right, this is a participation LP! Every week a new time trial track will be posted for goons to race and see who gets the shortest time. Thanks to the magic of Trackmania, we don't actually need to get everyone together just for this, you can all play and improve your times individually, and in the end we combine everyone's replays into a video showing off the race results.

We'll use a rally system for scoring the season results. A running total of each person's total racing time will be used to determine their standing. There may be some adjustment to this if one or more tracks are unusually long, to keep them from having a disproportionate effect on the results. In this case each person's adjusted time for that race will be a simple percentage of their total time.

Participating

There's no sign-up required, you can join in and join out at any time! All that's required is that you race and send us the results before the deadline. If you miss a round, a time will be assigned to you that is equal to the slowest time +5%. This way you won't be completely screwed out of the season.

In previous seasons we used a free version of the game that anyone could play, but there's no such thing for Trackmania². However, there is a demo that gives you full access to the features you need to join along. However it limits your playtime, so we heartily recommend getting the full game if you enjoy it, it's worth it. :)

After you've installed the game, just download the tracks from the second post and access them by going to Local Play > Solo in the main menu. Your best time and replay are automatically recorded. Once you're happy with it, just send us the result before the deadline. You can find your tracks in Documents\ManiaPlanet\Maps\Downloaded and your replays in Documents\ManiaPlanet\Replays\Autosaves (there are "folder" icons in-game that'll automatically open them for you).

Don't post replays or times in the thread. Let's not spoil the fun.

Where to get the game:
Full version of the game costs $9.99/£7.99/€9.99
Demo version is free but limits your playtime to 48h after install and 1h/day afterwards.

What you need to send us:
  • Your best-time replay
  • Your SA and Trackmania nicknames
  • Your skin name and link/file/etc. (if any, see below)
Submit them on this website, or if that doesn't work, you can also e-mail them to trackgoonia@gmail.com.

Gameplay Tips
  • Avoid hitting obstacles and resetting at checkpoints, as they will cost you the most time. Even braking is preferable to scratching a wall.
  • Learn to drift to get the most out of corners.
  • You can brake mid-air to lock into position, which lets you control your descent and land more smoothly.
  • Remember you can disable ghost replays. While they're handy for learning a track, they can be a distraction when you're trying to optimize your route.
  • Don't reset on every little mistake! You might always make up for it later.
  • The only requirement for finishing a track is hitting every checkpoint and the finish line, it doesn't matter how you do it! So feel free to use any daring maneuvers and unorthodox shortcuts to get the best time.

Customization
(Full version only)

Half of the fun of the videos is watching all the crazy cars people use. You can choose your car skin in Profile > Models, or edit it into the replay later. Skins include both custom paint jobs, that you can make in-game (Editor > Paint a Car), or entirely new 3D models, which you can download from third-party sites or make yourself if you're feeling adventurous.

If you use the Steam version, just go to the workshop and subscribe to any cars you want, they'll be automatically downloaded for you when you start the game.

Otherwise, you can download them manually from sites like Maniapark and place them in your Documents\ManiaPlanet\Skins\Models\StadiumCar folder. Do not extract the ZIP files, just place them as-is in the folder.

Note that skins are purely cosmetic and can't affect gameplay, and this can be deceptive if you're using a model very different from the original as the collision boxes will still be the same.

Various

Need more documentation? Try the Maniaplanet Wiki

Feeling lonely? Come hang out with other Trackmania goons over at our IRC Channel (#trackmania on irc.synirc.net), where we tease times, discuss exploits and try to figure out if Entropist is man or machine.

Wanna pretend this is multiplayer? Join Entropist's server at maniaplanet://#join=entropist_srv@TMStadium (copy to your browser or in-game address bar).

Missed the previous seasons? Check out the Archive.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Leaderboards

Available here: http://lp.somesingawful.com/Trackmania/

Current Video

Track 10: 2014 Goontrack 2 by Twisted Eye, FillInTheBlank, Eddy Rasta, Neofelis, Lowen, aas bandit

HD ~ SD

Archive

Bonus Track: Stercus Bonus by Entropist
Gold: 10:44.00 (5 laps)

Manual Download - Steam

Track 10: 2014 Goontrack 2 by Twisted Eye, FillInTheBlank, Eddy Rasta, Neofelis, Lowen, aas bandit
Gold: 1:40.00

Video: HD ~ SD
Manual Download - Steam - Blame Chart

Track 9: Afghan Warcraft by Entropist
Gold: 2:07.00

Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Track 8: 2014 Goontrack 1 by Raldan, Hiilai, Grawl, Good-Natured Filth, CVE, SupSuper
Gold: 1:23.00

Manual Download - Steam - Blame Chart

Track 7: Derpetology by Entropist
Gold: 1:03.00

Track 6: Eat Sleep Race Repeat by Entropist
Gold: 1:02.00

Track 5: Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Entropist
Gold: 0:52:00

Track 4: Artificial Datastream by Entropist
Gold: 0:58:00

Track 3: Your Mom by Entropist
Gold: 0:58:00

Video: HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube
Track: Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Track 2: Baconic Rites by Entropist
Gold: 0:57:00

Track 1: Buffering and Pain by Entropist
Gold: 0:44:00

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 4, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Hell yes, I remember when there used to be a Goon-run server for this with like 400+ maps. Subscribed to the workshop stuff for this season, but is there a way to get all of the other seasons from the workshop as well, or do those have to be downloaded manually? I haven't taken part before, but I love me some weird maps.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Ugghhh, right on time for me to be having graphics card problems too!

Still, if I manage to squeeze in a few races, I'll participate where I can. I look forward to the ever creative and eternally sadistic goon-made maps though. Those are always a blast.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Hell yes, I remember when there used to be a Goon-run server for this with like 400+ maps. Subscribed to the workshop stuff for this season, but is there a way to get all of the other seasons from the workshop as well, or do those have to be downloaded manually? I haven't taken part before, but I love me some weird maps.
The previous seasons were played in Trackmania Nations Forever, so you have to download them manually. You can however still load them up in the TM2 track editor.
You can get the videos/tracks/replays/etc from the season links at the bottom of the OP.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
There is some process to automatically convert them but it involves black magic and just plain doesn't work for some users: http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=15988

I might have a go at it if I'm feeling bored, but for now you can download them manually and play them in the old Trackmania Nations Forever which is free, or load them up in TM2 one by one.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Aw hell yeah!

SupSuper said we could have a goontrack this year if enough people wanna participate.

A goontrack is a delightful thing where we all build a track together with each person building about 10seconds or so track.
No experience needed and I'm idling in the IRC 24/7 if you need help.

Anyone want in?

So far we got;
FillInTheBlank
Mr Fahrenheit
Twisted Eye
Aas Bandit
@Neofelis
Grawl
Hiilai
CVE
Good-Natured Filth
Raldan
Eddy Rasta

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Aw hell yeah!

SupSuper said we could have a goontrack this year if enough people wanna participate.

A goontrack is a delightful thing where we all build a track together with each person building about 10seconds or so track.

Anyone want in?

I have never built a track and have unnatural love of corckscrews and wall-rides.

I'm in :kheldragar:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Cripes! I think my heart just exploded with excitement and now there's blood everywhere.
I've lurked these races for the last two "Tourneys" and now I can possibly jump in?
*drool drool drool*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A buddy of mine gifted me this last week.

He must have known somehow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in. Money's tight so I'll be running the demo version. Should be enough time on that to dick around and complete whatever track you're having us run.

Haven't participated in previous years (racing noob, woop woop), so I'm just curious; how long are the races? Are we talking short and sweet 3-5 lap races, or ridiculous Indy 500 style races? Or is it one lap and post your time?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Aw man, I don't have 2. I will now proceed to deliberate long and agonisingly hard over whether or not to buy this. The past seasons I was in were pretty fun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Awh christ fine.

A hour a day? I can outrace the bottom three with just a hour a day, no problem.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Yeahhh here we go. This game is drat fun. I'll go get 2 right now and warm up them rusty ol' driftin fingers. Has it really been two years...

And sign me up for the Goontrack creation team, too!

-oh, speaking of the old seasons, it looks like the Viddler and Blip links are removed?

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 31, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

RickVoid posted:

I'm in. Money's tight so I'll be running the demo version. Should be enough time on that to dick around and complete whatever track you're having us run.

Haven't participated in previous years (racing noob, woop woop), so I'm just curious; how long are the races? Are we talking short and sweet 3-5 lap races, or ridiculous Indy 500 style races? Or is it one lap and post your time?

Most tracks in Trackmania aren't lapped. They're a point A to B kinda thing and they wont be long. 1min length tracks are considered long.

Also sweet tip: If you're not nailing a track today just come back tomorrow. No need to burn yourself out. (Well unless you're using the demo version then you only have so much time a day.)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Kickass. Here we go again! :)

(Obviously, sign me up for building. I'm happy to do replay combining/cams for the rounds if desired.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
For folks who don't have the game and feel a little intimidated by only having 48 hrs on the demo before it switches to one hour per day: they are running a special for the summer where your actually start with 72 hours. So a total of four days. This probably only applies if you are just getting the demo right now (or starting a new account), but hey! That's more time to beat your head against the track.

EDIT: This is going to sound dumb, but how do I play the track? I subscribed to it through Steam, and I can see that it downloaded, but I can't find the option to play a custom track in the demo. Help?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 31, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It looks like the workshop doesn't work with the demo, so you have to do it the manual way.

You also don't get custom models or anything with the demo, which is a shame.

Edit: you're still the fuckhole of maps, tho.

Especially that turn off the dirt.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 31, 2014

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
I'm in, and I wanna make one sane section in the goontrack.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

RickVoid posted:

EDIT: This is going to sound dumb, but how do I play the track? I subscribed to it through Steam, and I can see that it downloaded, but I can't find the option to play a custom track in the demo. Help?

Local Play > Single Map

Then navigate to where ever you downloaded it to.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

It looks like the workshop doesn't work with the demo, so you have to do it the manual way.

You also don't get custom models or anything with the demo, which is a shame.

Edit: you're still the fuckhole of maps, tho.

Especially that turn off the dirt.

Figured it out. I'll have to do the manual install each time which is fine.

This map can suck it though. My best is still way over the suggested time. Get gud, I guess.

Things I need to learn:
- Drifting. The youtube tutorial was not overly helpful. Am I actually supposed to hold forward on the stick, and the back as the arrows on the video show, or is that supposed to be a stand-in for throttling the engine (IE: taking my finger off the accelerator momentarily)?
-How not to suck.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The biggest "pro-tip" I can offer is there is two methods of braking. One is simply not accelerating for a moment; even the slightest bit is usually enough to get around most corners. It also works in the air! Which is actually especially important for the end of the map so you don't miss. Actual braking puts you into a miniature skid, which lets you cut really tight corners at the cost of all your speed.

I clawed out gold-level times without breaking at all, so just ease up on the gas and you should be able to round those gaps - and spend less time in the air when it's important.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The biggest "pro-tip" I can offer is there is two methods of braking. One is simply not accelerating for a moment; even the slightest bit is usually enough to get around most corners. It also works in the air! Which is actually especially important for the end of the map so you don't miss. Actual braking puts you into a miniature skid, which lets you cut really tight corners at the cost of all your speed.

I clawed out gold-level times without breaking at all, so just ease up on the gas and you should be able to round those gaps - and spend less time in the air when it's important.

Yeah, I'm not bad at that type of breaking (foot off gas) in-game or irl, but my current problem is that I'll absolutely kill one section and the next I'll dick a turn and lose half my speed. Guess I just need to play more.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Looking forward to racing this again. PC is currently not working barring my laptop but with some luck it should run again by next week so I guess I only have a slight disadvantage for the first race. Good luck to all participants and I hopw I can get close to the top 10 as I did last time.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

RickVoid posted:

Things I need to learn:
- Drifting. The youtube tutorial was not overly helpful. Am I actually supposed to hold forward on the stick, and the back as the arrows on the video show, or is that supposed to be a stand-in for throttling the engine (IE: taking my finger off the accelerator momentarily)?

Yeah, you have to use both the forward and backwards input at the same time, that's the tricky thing. In this game, gas and brake are also digital (either on or off) and not analog, so for these reasons many people use buttons or keys for them, even if they have a controller.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I guess some people might be having trouble getting (back) into this, so just this once...

SA7 - buffering and pain

Because it's been a while since the last edition and because it's the first track of the season, here's a little screenshot walkthrough of what you guys are up against this week, coming straight from that evil bastard who built this thing!

With each track, a demonstration replay will also be posted. You can check this out to get approximately the right lines for the track, but I'm driving quite carefully, of course. These will generally follow the pace of the gold medal time. The author medal time is me making a sloppy run with an inferior controller, which should be beatable for at least some of the drivers. My fastest time? Well, you will see... :v:

Because this is TrackMania, we're starting it off with some upside-down action. Not just a regular loop, that'd be too easy. For this one, you have to turn left into the loop at just the right time such that you end up in the middle of the road when you exit it, rather than in the wall somewhere. Oh, and you get boosted before it. Have fun!

Once you survived that, you'll find a little jump, where you fly directly into a left turn. Now, you have two choices here. You could slow down, so that you'll have plenty of time to line up for the turn. Or, you could do it like a pro and angle your car left for the jump, such that you'll drift left as soon as you land. That's what you see in the screenshot. You still have to slow down a bit here, but less than the other way. Actually there's a third option which most of you will be doing, which is to go straight and keep the pedal to the metal and crash into the wall.

After some more turns that I don't need to explain you end up at this high-speed crest, having to make your way over while (mostly) sticking to the track and not flying off into a wall somewhere. This can mostly be done at full speed but it takes some precision steering, and pay attention to the sign showing where the checkpoint is!

After going down and driving through a high speed 180 curve, the road suddenly gets bumpy. I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to landscape that part when building the track, sorry. This transition to dirt might send you flying a bit, as it did for me, but as long as you keep the landing in mind and aim for the checkpoint in the middle of the wasteland, that's fine! Pro tip: It's less bumpy in between the dirt protrusions.

After the checkpoint you get to make your own way out of the dirt bowl in a long sweeping right turn, but be careful, it once again gets bumpy when you transition out of it and the exit is tight!

See, there I am, still bouncing from the transition. Nevertheless you have to make your way through a tight S-turn, immediately followed by a right turn. And this is a very important right turn, as it leads to the final straight! The speed you manage to keep through this turn will carry you all the way up to the finish, you'll see what I mean. So, you'll want to have a good line through there. The more experienced drivers might want to try their drifting technique here, though the turn is so fast and goes on for so long that it's hard to use proper drifting technique to get through, and only somewhat faster than the normal way.

And there's the final straight, going under the crest. It's not actually straight, that would be too easy. But you should be able to navigate these S-curves with full throttle even after speeding through the turn, to get to the final jump...

Now here, because it is the first track of the season, we have to be able to see who's who and separate the pros from the scrubs.

At the bottom we see the two scrub-tier finishes. These are for Grawl, and anyone who hasn't participated in the previous seasons. Those guys can hopefully clear the crest of the hill and scramble into those finishes without hitting anything. If one of you accidentally jumps out of your league, here's a pro tip: When it seems like you'll go over the finish, you can use air control. If you go off the gas you'll slow down, even in the air, allowing you to still make it into the finish despite jumping too fast!

At the top left, positioned slightly forward so that it would be faster to finish there, is the pro-tier finish. This can be used by veterans of the previous seasons, who are battle-hardened from the crazy tracks I threw at them there and have no problem navigating the last turn at speed.

The top right one? Nevermind that. It's my own private finish, none of you would be able to make it up there. That's where I'll chill, waiting for everyone else to finish at the end of the race.

Have fun!

Entropist fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 31, 2014

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
Well now, this thing is here. Now. Yep, sure is.

Goodbye, my last remnants of anything resembling free time.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

FillInTheBlank posted:

So far we got;
FillInTheBlank
Mr Fahrenheit
Twisted Eye
Aas Bandit
NeoFelis

FillInTheBlank
Mr Fahrenheit
Twisted Eye
Aas Bandit
NeoFelis
Grawl

Twisted Eye posted:

-oh, speaking of the old seasons, it looks like the Viddler and Blip links are removed?

Yea, my old Viddler and Blip accounts got removed. Don't worry though, the hosted videos offer the best possibly quality.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
I think I could make some squiggles for the GoonTrack as well.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I gladly help on the Goontrack as well. Just don't expect any miracles.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Oh heck yes! I guess I need to buy TM2 now. Do car models from the first game still work in the second? I can't imagine a racing season without Santa and his reindeer riding along. :)

Also, count me in for the Goon track.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
And we're back. I was wondering when another of these was going to start - Thanks for the email!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I almost couldn't believe the email I was reading in my morning stupor.

10 hours later I already hate this.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Oh heck yes! I guess I need to buy TM2 now. Do car models from the first game still work in the second? I can't imagine a racing season without Santa and his reindeer riding along. :)

Also, count me in for the Goon track.

No. If you had the source files you could export a TM2 version (you'd have to cheat the damaged and dirty bits) but there is no simple converter and that's a real bummer.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

RickVoid posted:

We focus on technical tracks, so they're at most one minute long and don't loop. Quick enough to play, but hard to master. :)

Of course this doesn't apply for the Bonus and Goon Tracks...

Twisted Eye posted:

Viddler and Blip are dead, I'll clean it up at some point, but don't worry, the hosting never dies.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Paint jobs still work, but not custom models. :( At least it'll change things up.

Edit: Added info to OP regarding demo restrictions.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
We had like one or two multi-lap tracks of 2 laps in the past, but the feedback wasn't that great because basically you're just driving the same thing twice and this makes it even more annoying to screw up on the second lap, so I don't think I'll build a multilap for this season.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That demo replay helped a lot, managed to get in under the time Entopist put up (although it is admittedly not his fastest time). Going to spend until the deadline trying to improve upon it, but I'm happy with the time I got.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

We now have a dedicated server! Well, for as long as it doesn't break and I don't need to reboot my system, anyway.

On this server you will be able to play the season's current track in Rounds mode, which means you get a bunch of rounds where everyone starts simultaneously, you go head-to-head with other drivers and try to get the first place each round. You get more points for better finishing positions, and the one who gets to 51 points first, wins!

The server doesn't display people's overall fastest times of course, that would be too much info, though if you happen to drive your best time ever on the server, it will be autosaved just as if you had driven it in solo mode.

You should be able to join the server using this link: maniaplanet://#join=entropist_srv@TMStadium
which SA doesn't consider to be a valid link so you'll have to copy and paste it. Otherwise you can search for "goon" or "entropist" in the in-game server browser and it should come up.

Once you're on the server, you can also add it to your favourites in the 'escape' menu and it'll be easier to find next time.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 31, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
This is a good track. I drove it at lunch for a while today. I love that turn into the up-over-the-hill section; so cool at high speed.

There's a lot to learn in this track, and a lot of "gotchas". Excellent way to start the season.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm in this again, and it's off to a great start. This is a pretty fun track, though I'm really not a fan of the start turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!
Thanks to whoever sent out e-mails, these are always a fun couple months. Already liking the first track.

• Locked thread