Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Kickass. Here we go again! :)

(Obviously, sign me up for building. I'm happy to do replay combining/cams for the rounds if desired.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
This is a good track. I drove it at lunch for a while today. I love that turn into the up-over-the-hill section; so cool at high speed.

There's a lot to learn in this track, and a lot of "gotchas". Excellent way to start the season.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Sabby23 posted:

Yo Entropist, I'm gonna chill in your place for a bit, that's cool right?

I kinda hoped that would happen. :) Good for you.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

I then wiped 1.7 seconds off my time. after spending 40 minutes last night trying to do the same.

Yeah, this happens a lot, at least to me. Coming back for another try when you're fresh can be amazing sometimes.

ViggyNash posted:

Ooooh, just found this thread. Ill probably have a time by tomorrow.

e: Or today. Is there any limit to the number of attempts we can submit? Not that I'm going to spam the inbox with lousy times, but just in case I happen to improve and want to submit the new one.

Just submit your single best/final time before the deadline--please don't make multiple submissions. :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it can be kind of rough when you have one run where you do really well on the last couple of turns in a track and then have to get passed a bajillion times while trying to do better. Demoralizing.

It's possible to open up your best replay in the replay editor and quickly and easily see exactly what happened, or what specific line you took, etc.

It's not necessarily going to help, but it might...

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I usually play until at least one of the following happens:
a) I go for a good while (15-20 minutes) without any improvement.
b) I have a really, really solid run, where I'm sure that any further gains will involve serious luck or perfection.
c) I'm not having any fun.

At that point I'll usually quit for at least a day or two, and if it was a) or c) I'll load up the track again another time or two and see if there's any change.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
If anyone would like to try a bit of a palette cleanser to give your brain a break from "Buffering and Pain", I just finished up a stadium track tonight.

It started with me messing around with the new block-mixing feature that Nadeo finally added to the standard editor, rather than forcing you to use a third-party app. I think it ended up pretty solid, and has some interesting transitions.

It's under 30 seconds long, and any feedback is welcome (either here, or on the track page). I *think* the AT is pretty tough, but I'm sure some of you will kick my rear end.

~twisty~

If any of you are working on any tracks yourself (other than the goontrack, obviously, which should stay a relative secret until it's finished), please feel free to post them and piss people off.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Eddy Rasta posted:

I wish I had the same variety of options when it comes to wacky gimmick cars, like with TM1. I wonder if it's possible to import models at all...

The three existing cars are pretty unique from one another, but yeah, I wish for more variety as well. I miss the Coast car most of all, I think, just because it was sooo different and weird, and that little Alpine jeep was fun, with it's no-skid craziness.

And yeah, you can import models and there's a lot of wacky stuff out there if you look around.

I managed to shave about a quarter of a second off a time I was already relatively satisfied with tonight. There's still roughly two-tenths I could theoretically get, judging from my CP times, but I'm not sure if I want to spend what would probably be 2 or 3 hours to get it.

I just have to say again what a cool track this is...okay, I'm not super crazy about that dirt --> road transition--that's a stone bitch--but I like the rest of the track a lot. That long sweeping left-hand section after the first jump feels so good when you hit it right, and the hump in the middle is sadistic genius. :arghfist::cool:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Submitted my time. I don't have it in me to shave off any more.

My experience playing your track:

-Good flow, and I really like the density and claustrophobic feeling of the scenery! Cool track! :)
*hits dirt boil protruding through track and flips upside down*
-Well, other than that part.
(restarts)
*gets to finish, misses jump*
:argh: (restarts)
*misses jump repeatedly because you can't get enough speed from the CP*
:argh::argh:
(At this point, I would normally say "gently caress that, there are a lot of other tracks out there", but since it's a goontrack...)
*finally clears the finish block after a few attempts from the beginning, lets off the gas, then realizes that wasn't the finish...*
:suicide:

I like the track (other than the boil).
I hate the finish section. :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FillInTheBlank posted:

You shouldn't be driving anywhere close to where that piece of dirt sticks through that's why I left it in.
The track is fully restart-able, jump to the left of the fake finish.

Ah. Never mind then. I obviously wasn't driving it correctly.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure if I like this track as much as the first one, but it's very cool and different. I also like the various choices that you've added. Wall rides are always fun too!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

gently caress this course gently caress this game gently caress gently caress gently caress

New thread title, right there.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Are you on a screen that looks like this on the lower left?

If so, TM2 may be waiting on you to place a trigger, and it won't do anything as long as you're in that mode. To turn off that mode, press the circled/arrowed button. At that point, you should just be able to hit Esc and go back to the regular editor.

Hopefully that's it...if not, provide a screenie, and I'll try to help.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Maybe throw it up someplace that doesn't require messing around with steam subscriptions? There's apparently no way (?) to just download the drat file even after the necessary subscription--Steam wanted to add it to a "TM2 collection" which I don't have since I don't have TM2 installed through Steam.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Yes indeed. :)

I like it overall! The biggest thing you need to do is add first-person cams at the two loops. It's quick and easy to do, and you can find tutorials on YouTube. I went ahead and quickly added them so I could more easily drive your track. If you want to see what I did, you can grab it here. The other thing you'd do is add triggers at any CPs to revert to normal cam if you respawn.

I like some of the unconventional stuff that you've done with the loops, I like the few sections that kind of sneak up on you, and I like the nice mix of block types. The one loop-into-wallride was fun too.

Stuff that I didn't like as much (other than the lack of first-person loop cams)--there are two sections that seemed maybe a bit too unfriendly. The one U-turn followed by a hard right onto the descending ramp at ~30 seconds is pretty awkward, even when you know it's coming. The other one was the wallride going right into another hard U-turn at ~45. Part of what made that unfriendly is that you want to try to stay low/left while you're on the wallride, but if you do, you clip the edge of the ramp/wall where it sticks out...

This is a cool first effort! You'll probably want to add some signs eventually, and do intro/replay if you feel up to it. :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Thistledown posted:

Are there collections of the old seasons' tracks anywhere? The season 3 page has a track collection, but none of the other ones, at least as far as I see. I could go and find them by hand but I'd rather not if I can help it.

You can get the tracks from seasons 3 through 6 off my site here--just scroll down to "Something Awful Trackmania Shenanigans".

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
This is the first day I had a chance to spend more than a few minutes driving the track (I had a busy week; shut up), and initially, for the first 15-20 minutes, I was kinda struggling and cursing and having a rough time of it.

What changed that was slowing down. It sounds weird, but try taking a few runs through the track, and not braking at all and not trying to drift. Just use purely throttle control and think about when and where you need to slow down, and when and where you can floor it, and what the best clean line is. About the third run of this I tried, I was surprised to pass my old ghost.

I'm now a bit over 3 seconds ahead of that ghost (granted, it wasn't all that fast to start with, but...man, I was struggling so much more than I am now). I've gone back to braking and drifting and so on, but I'm driving in a much less...fussy?...way than I was before, and the track feels a lot better.

The hardest part for me now is hitting this just right:

It's a thing of beauty when you get just the right angle, but you're done if you don't. :suicide:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Great Joe posted:

Thanks for the cut, real useful. :)

ViggyNash posted:

Huh, I never thought of that.

Entropist posted:

Nobody read my track walkthrough :( No wonder you all suck.

Just to be crystal clear for anyone who might not be getting it, the screenshot was previously posted by Entropist in his original track write-up on page 4, so...yeah. Read those. They tend to contain a lot of good advice. :)

And yeah, I submitted already too. I'm confident that I could shave at least another .25-.50 off, but I'm tired of driving it and fairly happy with my time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

using the wrong way

This.

I've been enjoying your mom quite a bit from behind...taking the old dirt road...in the out hole, so to speak. It's pretty spectacular, although it took me a while to figure out, and I even ended up upside down a few times when she turned me around unexpectedly.

Going the back way is a bit more tight and slippery than I'm used to. There's one particular maneuver on Her(shey?) highway that...when it goes bad...things get really lovely and there's no recovering.

I haven't decided yet if this is my preferred way to ride your mom. I'll have to do a bit more experimentation.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Great Joe posted:

your mom has a strange protrusion:

Yeah, that's kinda hosed up, and has caught me a few times. :(

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^Nice job!

ViggyNash posted:

Final version of my track is complete! (Download)(Steam Workshop)

Let me know what you think.

It still needs first-person cams on the loops. Loops are really obnoxious to learn/drive without them because it forces you to manually switch cameras while you're trying to concentrate on the track. First-person cams tend to fix problems like:

Grimwit posted:

the loop-d-loop leading...somewhere. I couldn't be sure. Often I'd take the spin and suddenly end up at the beginning of the track.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I've been playing around with something a little crazy lately...it's a fullspeed track (i.e. no braking necessary, just floor it and steer), and it's a mix track, with the valley car in the desert environment (so I think you'll either need both of those environments, or the all-in-one environment).

I'd love some feedback on the beta. The main thing I'm undecided on is the finish. Right now there are three of them grouped fairly close together, one higher than the others for when you're really flying (and I think it might conceivably be possible to overshoot that one as well).

You can see the top finish in the distance there, and yeah, I sailed through it on the AT after not touching the ground after the takeoff point in the screenie. Who knew that little valley hatchback would do almost 800?

Speed Kills

Edit: updated link to point to the final track

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Because it was much more fun to drive on this track than the canyon or stadium cars.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Great Joe posted:

Clearly your fault was using the Canyon tile set, because it is The Worst.

Thank you forums poster "Great Joe" for your strongly worded (albeit vague) opinion regarding the "Canyon" TM2 environment.
Your dislike has been noted.

It will almost certainly have no effect whatsoever on what tracks I build. :shrug:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^All of the environments (TM1 and TM2) have their share of unreal stunts though? They all have loops and wallrides and so on...?

Great Joe posted:

Okay, I take that back. Coast is the worst, but Canyon is a close second.

I'm not sure if you're talking about TM1 or TM2 or just mixing them together?

Coast doesn't exist in TM2. The three TM2 environments are Canyon, Valley, and Stadium.
The Canyon car in TM2 is a completely different vehicle from the TM1 version (and handles very differently).

Canyon was probably my least-favorite car to drive in TM1, and the TM2 version is a huge improvement, IMO.

(And I liked the TM1 Coast car. It was very different from the rest, and forced you to drive in a much more controlled way, which I thought was kind of cool.)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grawl posted:

Alright, here's video 1! This time in full HD (1080P). Make sure to download the video or watch in full-screen on my site to get the best details possible!

Race 1 - Buffering and Pain

HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube

Nice job--that was fun to watch, even after having to see it over and over while camming it. :) Great work guys!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Ghetto Wizard posted:

Getting over your mom's threshold at the end there is really difficult to do correctly and have ruined really good sessions for me. What a shame.

For some of the people talking about "end" or "start", I'm not sure if you're going in reverse or not. I just submitted my replay for the backwards route, and both the start and the end are bitchy. The start only because you're trying to get turned around as quickly and cleanly as possible and get the hell through that first CP without fumbling around too much, and the end because trying to navigate that first/last checkpoint in reverse and not get all stuck up on that weird hill with the tumor...

I'm really curious to see how much variation there ends up being in the replays. I know there will be the forward/reverse split, but I tried a few different options on the reverse route, mostly different ways to deal with the booster platform area. Replay cams should be an interesting challenge. :stare:

Edit: Also, I love it when you're trying for an hour to shave off the other quarter to half a second that you know is possible, and you end up hitting everything really nice and grab nearly another second instead. It eliminates that whole "well...do I grind for a while longer and get another quarter or a tenth...?" inner conversation. It's just "yep, that's it. Done." :unsmith:

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Thistledown posted:

Blue Contemplation, found at workshop and not.

This is a cool track! It's a good mix of fun, fast, and infuriating. :) The whole thing is pretty fun and fast, and the infuriating parts are that one dirt-mix U-turn (only because not only is it a bit tricky, but if you screw it up, you are completely and totally hosed with that climb out right after.

The part that made me rage even more for a few runs, until I got the hang of it, is the entry into the dirt. It can bite you really hard if you don't slow down enough and find the right angle to not just drill into the curb on the other side of the dirt.

I managed to beat Silver on my second run, Gold on my fifth or sixth, and it took me another hour or so to beat your AT. I'm not the best driver in the world by any means, but I'm not shabby...that was a decent AT. I think another quarter to a half second would be possible for me, if I could hit the dirt and the following turn/climb better.

44:01

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

Entropist's on vacation so it might take a while until the next tracks go up.

In the meantime, here's the updated Leaderboards with Track 3 and global standings.

I'm confused...according to global standings, I'm 32nd with 2:36.803? According to my math, I should be 15th with 2:26.773 after three races (assuming the other totals are correct)?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'm not really crazy about this track, but I also just had the "unexpectedly shaved a bunch of time off" thing that some of you have been getting.

Earlier in the week, I drove it for 20 minutes or so just messing with the possible start paths. At the end of that time, it was obvious to me which path was the fastest, so I focused on learning the rest of the track at that point.

After another 20 minutes or so I got what I thought was a fairly solid time and put it away. Tonight I finally had some more time and shaved off a little over a second after about 20 minutes.

I almost quit, feeling like that was about as good as I was going to do, but decided to take a few more runs, just for the hell of it.

Shaved off another half second almost immediately. :stare: Okay.

I started thinking about camming the replays, and decided to try the other start routes for a bit, wondering how many people would take which routes. I suddenly found myself over a tenth ahead of my ghost at that second CP, even though I hadn't taken the "obvious" fast route, and was over half a second ahead at the third CP. What the gently caress. Okay, I was certainly wrong about the best way to go. :downs:

Short form, this track has some hidden depths that aren't obvious right away, which is cool.

Also, is anyone else having problems with too much speed out of the loop? Most of the time I'll land just before the transition to the blue surface and things are cool, but a couple of times I did...something...and managed to land clear out in the middle of the blue. It's a bitch turning right at that point--you either ram into the metal quarter-pipe-ish barrier, or you lose a ton of speed.

Edit: And I just shaved off almost another 3/4 of a second. Welp.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 31, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^It is indeed fun. Join us! :unsmigghh:

FillInTheBlank posted:

Turn slightly just before you jump so land at an angle and can quickly drift the turn instead of landing straight and then trying to turn.

Yeah, this was typically what I tried to do, and works quite well when I could hit it.

Jabor posted:

If you're going fast enough, you can head a little off to the right and jump the barrier instead of going straight down the hill too.

I could never manage to be going fast enough and make this happen at the same time. Every time I tried it, I didn't have *quite* enough speed and clipped the railing (or hit barely in the grass, which seemed kind of janky).

Entropist posted:

The different ways should be balanced pretty well. The 4 fastest ones are pretty close together in what you can get out of them.

They're more balanced than I expected when I initially looked at the track, but it seems like there are a couple that are easier to drive, and one of those two makes it much easier for me to get lined up nicely and in the right place going into the U-turn so I can take it cleanly at full speed (no braking or drifting or letting off the gas). That may very well say more about my driving skill than anything else. :) I'm not going into details because I know there are people still driving it...

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

BrumDart posted:

I'm pretty bummed that I missed the first 3 tracks, but I put down an absolutely perfect time for this track and I'm convinced it cannot possibly be done any faster.

I'm looking forward to bringing up the rear of the pack in the coming video and feeling completely inadequate compared to the rest of you.

That's the spirit!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Sorry man, I sent that in already with my last replay.

Not really.

I did better than usual. Cool. :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I can't tell if I should brake more often, or stop braking so much. Technical tracks are confusing. :psyduck:

When I start to feel like that, I usually just force myself to drive the track a few times without breaking at all. Drive it *just* getting on and off the gas--don't touch the brake, and do it enough times where you make at least a few clean runs.

I find that when I do this, and go back to using the brake, I usually do much better. YMMV, of course.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
For me, the hardest part about this current track is that section before the last CP. That turn-into-drop-down just kills me. I know there's another .25-.50 in there if I can just hit it right, but I tend to either have to slow down too much to avoid swinging wide before the drop and hitting the wall, or else when I do hit it nice and fast, the landing on that dirt-mix block can get really funky for some reason. The rest of the track feels pretty good, but that bit... :argh:

In other news, if anyone is feeling slightly masochistic (and hey, you are in this thread), I just released Perfect 10 7.

It's a stadium track, and like all my "Perfect 10" tracks, it's very difficult (think Trials-ish).
Also, you only drive on 10 track blocks to complete the track, thus the name.

This one is about 30 seconds long, and I'd love to see some replays. Any feedback is appreciated.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Thistledown posted:

Well I got up here, and I gather it's to get speed to defeat the boost pad, but the entry gate makes that pretty hard.

You can actually get past the booster directly from the starting block. That's the finish bit you're on there. :)

Try some controlled/forced drifting over the initial reverse booster--gas+brake. You can work your way over it to the CP.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

AtomicSX posted:

Not sure if I found the intended path to run the course Aas (doesn't involve first getting up to where Thistledown is in that screenshot), but I'm pretty sure the best I could get doing it would be ~45s or so. Just haven't been able to string together the two segments on one try yet.

edit: Yeah I jumped down instead of trying to shimmy my way up the boost pad.

Jumped down? You mean to the ground? Huh. I guess you worked your way up the metal arch thingie? Yeah, that's a longer way around. But a replay would still be cool, if you can get it in one go (or even not).

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FillInTheBlank posted:

Well if you place another block like 9-1-7 above the flashing block it'll fix it like this:
Aw, drat it. I thought I had fixed all of those. One must have crept back in. :( I'll probably fix it tonight and upload a new version.
Thanks for the catch! I appreciate it!

FillInTheBlank posted:

Oh and here's my terrible replay from my first time finishing Perfect 10-7
Replay
And I appreciate that too--it was fun to watch. :) You got it pretty quickly for a first run!

Entropist posted:

Good luck making camera angles for this Aas :v:
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I look forward to it! Different is (usually) good, and open/choices is a cool change.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^I'm looking forward to working on it! I'll add to the fun. :gibs:

On another note, I fixed the z-fighting on my track that FillInTheBlank was kind enough to point out, and even got a better author time in about five minutes, after grinding for about 30 the first time.

Link is the same as last time, just in case anyone grabbed the first one and is considering uploading a replay or something--it'll crap out if you have the old version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Neofelis posted:

I support this because I want to see the monstrosities we call goon tracks as soon as possible. :suspense:

I've been working on scenery, cams, etc. for the Goontracks, and so got a sneak peek as to what

CVE posted:

my part, the Icarus Drop
is all about.

CVE, you win the Goonmania Douche Award this year, at least in my opinion.
Respect.

:gibs::hf::gibs:

• Locked thread