Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I vote for King Lich. Leading a detachment of actually competent beings (Svarts) should be a nice change :v:

Also, the limited availability of unit upgrades makes sense I suppose. I remember instances during the first game where I solved unexpected problems just by recruiting some generic melee unit and blowing a huge wad of cash on all the upgrades (Silver/Elemental weapons, Tried by Labyrinth, Drilled, Fine/Masterwork/Nevril/Adamantium armor etc) and making that unit be next to unkillable. Never a more fearsome unit of spearmen. And all this was funded by a pocket dimension full of gold-generating cities.

With limits on the number of towns and upgrades, maybe having strong monsters spawn in your back lines will be an actual problem again since you can't just recruit a 2-turn unit and make it capable of soloing ogres out of the box. Hell, the Ratman Robber > > > Paladin of Life upgrade path was expensive, but fully geared out could basically do anything except shoot down fliers.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Almost, nothing. The unique traits for the Flying ships(at least circa Warlock 1) are 'Shadow-class' and 'Eclipse-class'. These are classes of Star Destroyer from the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

The game is silly and nerdy and in many cases revels in it.

Name? Necheim? Necro+heim, "Death-home"?

Yeah the flying elf ships are pretty obvious, but to me the undead's flying ships are just more charming.

"Galleus of the sky" in that weird ghost voice. With bonus creaking planks.

Svarts apparently get a 'Flycraft of Order' as their Dauros temple unit, haven't checked that out yet.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 2, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Perhaps the Svarts consider Honorable Warriors old fashioned compared to some of the units they have later in the tree and from temples? :v:

Also, I actually found the Planestrider faction pretty nice. It starts out a bit generic with the Grey Striders rogue equivalent (although forest walk and a small self heal ain't bad) but their archers are very fast, their proper melee unit is basically a direct upgrade to the Undead's skeleton unit - a bit of armor for melee resistance and even more missile resistance, and more damage. The upgraded Sergeants of Planes have three times the gold upkeep (ugh) of Skeleton Veterans, but are better armored and most importantly, have a stunning ability, which is just really nice. Also they have voice acting.

I think I got real spoiled playing monsters, though, I kept getting my archers wrecked when goblin archers with 25 melee resistance might have survived to heal up. Careless of me.

I'm not sure what to make of Incorporeals though. Start out as elemental-melee fighters with high speed and mobility thanks to walking on water and upgrade into...generic 3-speed spellcasters that just happen to be able to walk on water. Temporary flight would have been more useful on a melee unit but at 3 speed I'll take any way to shortcut over bad terrain. I suppose magic ranged damage had to show up somewhere for them since their healers just beat things with clubs.

Their baseline healer has nice abilities and is sturdy thanks to thick hide and high hp, but I kinda ended up missing having a ranged source of spirit damage. Witch Doctors are melee, although they can be upgraded with life damage to at least clobber undead. And they have a really nice temple upgrade with personal regeneration, an aura that increases healing received, two different shapes of aoe heal and an increase to their personal healing received. Also they wear little nurse caps and those white hospital masks and use 'sterile metal clubs'.

Also, their upgraded naval vessel can summon Grey Striders which is a bit gimmicky but if you're bombarding a coastal city or a monster, being able to summon a ground unit to take a town or loot a monster den is moderately useful. I guess. If you're playing Sandbox and not Exile mode anyway.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 5, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I love having my own turtles, but the opportunity cost is sort of sizeable since it takes 3 buildings in a town with Koatl Village to actually recruit turtles.

Tough as nails, though.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It's very charming to see King Lich care about his subjects and the Svarts finding their drive and industry again. I enjoy your writing.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

In #1 I used mainly Dwarves and Elves. Because upgraded both are absurd.

Also probably a few dragons for air support.

I remember using Werewolves a lot, but switching to Paladins of Life if I found holy ground. since the first game gave you no limits on how many unit upgrades you could get out of special resources, you could, with enough cash, turn paladins of life monstrously hard to kill, and every second turn they could self-heal. They made really good meatshields for caster heroes or squads of ranged attackers, although it was expensive :v:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The biggest difference is that you no longer get infinite upgrades out of a single building, so you can't just give regeneration to every runit via power of herbs or, for the megarich, upgrade every unit into a super combatant with silvered weapons and adamantine armor just from 1 special resource hex per upgrade.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

One of the DLC or pre-order bonuses lets you play as a big giant Dragon instead of a Great Mage. You have to capture neutral cities you find because you only start with, well, your dragon self and no city. Once you have them, it plays fairly normal except you have a free dragon.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It seems easy to get a pretty lovely start as the dragon but occasionally you also get lucky and score a cool unit out of a monster den which really helps. I've not yet seen a regeneration upgrade on the dragon so getting some Old Trolls that have effectively no downtime while the dragon occasionally has to rest (or eat up mana getting healed) is pretty drat useful. Additionally the Dragon actually seems to do pretty mediocre damage against cities once they're beyond a certain size so having a siege unit along is expedient.

Also if you're playing the dragon in exile mode or general shard mode you never have a neutral city on your starting shard so you can get pretty drat unlucky in terms of how long until you find a town to take, this is probably easier in regular sandbox mode.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 2, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I dunno, I always liked the Grand Stubborn Master. His attack power starts to fall behind but in my games he always turned basically indestructible in the end, which does have its uses for some armies (although on team Svart, having high starting resists isn't exactly in short supply).

I mean yeah, Lords like Sart and Barfor are amazing but they're also really rare, while getting the GM is reasonably reliable and he brings a stun attack which can really help out. And I like his voice bits :shobon: Elder Ogre is pretty drat nice if you don't have access to Dwarven Overcomers or Old Trolls. At least to me. I don't really like Construct siege units as much. Except flying ghost ships. Those're too cool.

Supreme Vampire is incredible though. Those auras are amazing.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Neruz posted:

I think you may change that opinion when you see what the Svarts consider to be a 'siege unit'

I've seen it and used it. It looks cool but man, two movement points and walking? Way too much time spent teleporting those things after my army :effort:

At least the ghost ship doesn't have to deal with terrain with its 3 movement points, and Overcomers/Old Trolls have way more hp and better resists so they can level up off regular fighting and get extra movement more expediently.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread