Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In Mother Night Vonnegut has a bit of a rant about how Armistice Day, a day that celebrated the world not slaughtering each other anymore, has been made into Veteran's Day, an event worshipping and glorifying people who get paid to kill.

I guess it's not surprising that World War One, a truly loving pointless waste of life, is being glorified now that there are very few, if any, people who will say that it was hell and not anything to be glorified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Oh dear me posted:

Unfortunately this also requires you to die in certain ways. My mother wanted to do it, but cancer in the bones makes you an undesirable corpse, it seems.

There's a book called 'Stiff' that covers what happens if you donate your body to science. A lot don't make the cut, but some get fun jobs like being allowed to decay for use in forensics or being involved in car crashes or weapons testing.

I personally want to be shot out of a cannon. And not after being cremated like that one poser - my entire body.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bozza posted:

e:f,b

You guys do know that there are other cities right?

"Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol = the sticks"
:goonsay:

Cardiff owns. I've made more money busking in Cardiff in one week than I've made in months in London. Plus it's just a better place than London in general what with it being run by the Welsh.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like the concept of living in cities more than anywhere else, some are just too much though. Cardiff is pretty much perfect as it has a central area that's pretty good, has got tons of stuff, but doesn't require a day long commitment to go somewhere or do something. I liked it much better when I lived in Riverside, though, as it was a five minute walk to town, it was a hugely diverse area and had loads of cool little halal places etc.

Now I live in the closest Cardiff has to suburbs and it loving sucks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Greggs are alright if you catch them early when their stuff is hot. The pro choice if you miss them during the optimal time is a sandwich. The Mexican chicken baguette is rather nice.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Britain sold all the pig semen to China so that's why Boris isn't getting hosed down with the cannon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Since when did Doc Martens become trendy? Went into the store in Cardiff to get some new laces and all the staff were attractive young women. It's like I walked into some weird alternate reality.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
loving Aurora Borealis. What's wrong with good old fashioned grey British skies

^^ So it appears I am out of the loop. I am Welsh, though, so you have to give a couple of decades leeway. We've only just stopped burning witches.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Serotonin posted:

Bollocks. Everyone was wearing them in the early 90s. Them and army surplus boots with a German army parka. Good times. Don't make me post my pic from 1993 to prove it. Custom lilac laces were the thing i tell you.

I still have my DMs from way back when they were still made in Britain. Best boots I've ever owned. At this point they fit me like a glove.

I used to know a bloke who made laces but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. A slight shame as I wanted to get some red, white, black and green ones.

As for Solovair they're pretty much the original docs. The new ones are made in the far east so the quality has suffered. Solovair operate out of the old DM factory and are made in the same way that the old DMs were. Other than the branding, they're pretty much the original and best. I have a friend who has some and he always praises them so when these ones finally bite the bullet I'll get some from there.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 7, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Comfort is the main factor, but you want to look good at the same time. I mean, you're going to be stomping on that face forever, you don't want to be changing your boots halfway through.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Gonzo McFee posted:

I got some new boots for ma birthday and they are well good. I can walk about in them and everything.

You walk about in your boots? Jesus what a poser. If you aren't constantly ready to be featured in an Athena poster you can GFTO.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Cameron gets to see IDS and Gideon on a daily basis. If he didn't like seeing tits daily that would be unbearable.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jedit posted:

The average UK citizen may have no personal responsibility for what is happening in Gaza, but at the same time I don't recall hearing about leaders of the Jewish community here saying that Israel are going too far. This is literally "We're only supporting systematic mass murder, not committing it - why do they hate us?"

E: what I'm saying is that even if both sides are in the wrong, the Muslims at least have an understandable reason for being out of control.

It also doesn't help that Israel considers every Jew in the world (apart from the black ones) a rightful citizen of Israel and they just haven't returned home yet. It's hardly surprising that Jews worldwide are being held accountable for Israel's actions when Israel goes out of its way to conflate Jewish person and Israeli. Disgusting and counterproductive, but hardly surprising.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You can fool a polygraph 100% of the time by biting your tongue hard before you answer a question. They are literally on the same plane as reading the stars or reading tea leaves.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Penn and Teller are two huge lolbertarians but they did a pretty good episode of Bullshit on polygraphs. They are entirely bullshit and virtually all usable information usually comes from the post and pre test interviews as the entire procedure is designed to worry and scare people into having a frank conversation with the bullshit peddler doing the test.

They have been inadmissible in courts for quite some time and for good reason.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The black standard is a very common Muslim flag that has been appropriated by various different groups, some of them not so nice (like IS)

Hawaii still uses the Union Flag on their own, they're not affiliated with us though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In this particular case but I'm guessing someone who lies like her wouldn't be particularly careful with her identification. ISIS has done plenty of terrible poo poo without making stuff up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a play directly from The Prince. Make an anonymous, truly terrible claim about yourself that can be definitively proven as false, then any lesser claims that probably can be proven as true will be treated with suspicion.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

freebooter posted:

I've never understood why white people feel skittish around guns, but the UK having its officers not carry them - successfully, as far as I can tell - is one of the things this country can be really proud of. I don't understand how it works, but it does, and good on you.

While minorities obviously have more reason to be concerned about armed police (or just police in general) it is really, really unsettling to see armed police in the UK regardless. It's just something we're not used to. I had never even seen a gun in real life until I was 25

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is something goons can do. We can set up a fact finding mission no problem.

Big Society in action. We need 20 tubs of lube as operating expenses.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I do really think sex education needs a bit of an overhaul. Back in my day we were taught 'this is how it is done and what happens' and a bit about safe sex and that was it. The rest was learned via the tried and tested method of 'some kid in the playground said'

I remember there being some huge furore over teaching about the dangers of sexting and the like as obviously their precious little angels would never do something like that.

I look after my teenage sister and I have no illusions that she has never been exposed to anything sexual.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I would but I am in that position of knowing about tech but not being up to speed with the minutiae. I know what Google news is but not enough to have anus related death and destruction sent to my phone.

e: Did I do right?

e2: Did something happen to Colin Baker that we are unaware of?

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

El Scotch posted:

What app is that? You know, for. Research purposes.

Google news and weather, I think. Definitely one of the stock android apps.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's obvious to me that your business could be booming if you didn't have those feckless, workshy employees. Have you considered downsizing?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm fairly ignorant about how nuclear weapons work but aren't they pretty much triggered by conventional explosives which have to force the nuclear material together with great force?

I mean, it's not as if there's some big switch that makes the nuclear material start fission immediately. I imagine it would be pretty difficult and take a concerted effort to get them to blow.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Law enforcement begins before birth.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They do make some nice chillis around that area. I once ate a whole Dorset Naga for a bet and it was hell. Would definitely do it again

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even with a Scotch bonnet it feels like someone is cutting the back of your throat with a razor. I'd agree with the sentiment unless you're an idiot like me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also remember to wash your hands really well, preferably after scrubbing them with some sort of oil.

Getting that stuff where you don't want it is going to make life hell depending on who or what you touch.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm pretty sure capsaicin has very minimal detrimental effects to your body, it just feels like it does. Birds can eat them no problem because they don't perceive it as a huge problem.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

HelixFox posted:

Apparently this is actually the reason spicy peppers exist. Birds are much better at dispersing seeds than mammals so the spiciness evolved to stop us fuckers from eating them.

Yes but what nature didn't count on was us being crazy fuckers and finding pleasure in the act. Should have just poisoned us. Worked with other stuff.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing that grinds my balls is that it's almost impossible to find whole Jalapeno peppers anywhere in Cardiff. I'd like to buy them in bulk and make poppers with them or chili or whatever.

I even asked a Subway's where they got theirs from and they wouldn't tell me :argh:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
While we're at it why not bring back trial by ordeal and trial by combat.

Inevitable criminal proceedings against UKIP would be much more fun if we could beat the poo poo out of them and pin the blame on them when they lose.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Encona is the pro choice for good hot sauces. Can pretty much get it anywhere and it is delicious.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes, I mentioned that argument and I do accept that it holds water. However, when you listen to the fighters speak and see how they treat their captives you really do get the impression that there's a level of ideological hatred that runs far deeper than any pragmatic propaganda strategy. I guess that could just mean their propaganda is very effective!

This doesn't really mean anything other than their methods are working. ISIS is pretty much working on their reputation to get them where they're going. It's not a coincidence that they managed to steamroll through areas that were largely aligned with them to begin with, and areas that are actively opposed to them are giving them a lot of trouble.

It's a blitzkrieg/shock and awe advance that has run out of steam.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm pretty sure it was in the Middle East thread but there was some sort of statement about their tactics being pretty much recycled and refined Al Qaeda tactics of using suicide bombers for the initial attack and overwhelming poorly disciplined, poorly guarded targets.

I mean, the US and the UK did a spectacular job of loving up Iraq enough for these kinds of attacks to work, but I imagine they would crumble against any meaningful resistance.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a very effective military tactic. I mean, this kind of poo poo has been used throughout human history to scare the enemy into submitting. It's practically the basis of total war: Surrender or you and everything you hold dear will be destroyed. Coupled with a force that has very little regard for their own lives, let alone the enemy they're facing and you have the perfect scary army.

I have no doubt that there are many in IS who truly are inhuman monsters, they'd have to be, but the ideology is most certainly secondary to their goals.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To be fair he didn't mention whether it was a bad thing that families were worse off. Fits in perfectly with Tory policy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You can get a phone with few questions asked if you go to one of those phone repair places that also sell phones. Managed to get a galaxy s3 sim free and a 3 sim with cash in hand and no questions asked.

I also look kind of dicey so anyone else should have no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Private health care hurts people. Seriously. If everyone, poor and rich alike had to use the NHS you can guarantee it would be loving excellent. If the Prime Minister and the Queen had to go to NHS hospitals you can guarantee that they would be the best hospitals in the world, bar none.

Paying for stuff like private rooms or whatever may seem like a harmless bonus but all it really does is go towards a tiered system where money can get you better service, rather than what the NHS should be about which is great service for all.

• Locked thread