Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Obama Africanus posted:

It really is all Israel's for the taking.

Honestly the Jews are literally saints in this war compared to what the most kids gloves of all U.S. Operations would be. There'd be 16 MQ-9 orbits over Gaza all times and the only areas we wouldn't bomb or shell would be within 300 feet if the coast.

Let Uncle Sam show you how to get rid of dirty dark people harassing you from the west. We are goddamn amazing at it.

Please, Jews have been killing Muslims since before Americans knew that Muslims weren't just angry black guys with bow ties. They can kill more in a month than Americans can in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm not in the military so I'm trying to get some reference: The closest specific event I can think of that the U.S. was involved in in the last ~decade was Falluja, right? How many civilians did the U.S. turn to paste over that?

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

illrepute posted:

I'm not in the military so I'm trying to get some reference: The closest specific event I can think of that the U.S. was involved in in the last ~decade was Falluja, right? How many civilians did the U.S. turn to paste over that?

Hopefully all of them

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

illrepute posted:

We've had many large battles in the last decade. Fallujah was just one of them, and there is no goddamn telling what the true casualties were outside of U.S. WIA and KIA. There are estimates, and they vary, but there were certainly civilians who got schwacked. Possibly lots.

War is hell.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Obama Africanus posted:

We've had many large battles in the last decade. Fallujah was just one of them, and there is no goddamn telling what the true casualties were outside of U.S. WIA and KIA. There are estimates, and they vary, but there were certainly civilians who got schwacked. Possibly lots.

War is hell.

Definitely, but I'm thinking of situations specifically comparable to Gaza, and Falluja is the major one I can think of where the U.S. surrounded the city and then sent guys in over a roughly month-long period of sustained urban warfare, airstrikes, shelling, that sort of thing. I'd rather ask soldiers than wikipedia, is all :shobon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

illrepute posted:

Definitely, but I'm thinking of situations specifically comparable to Gaza, and Falluja is the major one I can think of where the U.S. surrounded the city and then sent guys in over a roughly month-long period of sustained urban warfare, airstrikes, shelling, that sort of thing.

...and then let the bad guys go at the last minute.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
For most active duty personnel the battle over the mind is waged everyday.

so they don't forget how to tie their shoes or count past four.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Zeroisanumber posted:

...and then let the bad guys go at the last minute.

I didn't say the commanders did a good job :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

illrepute posted:

Definitely, but I'm thinking of situations specifically comparable to Gaza, and Falluja is the major one I can think of where the U.S. surrounded the city and then sent guys in over a roughly month-long period of sustained urban warfare, airstrikes, shelling, that sort of thing. I'd rather ask soldiers than wikipedia, is all :shobon:

Fallujah isn't comparable to Gaza, really, in a strategic or a tactical sense. After US forces were pushed out of the city in early 2004, it eventually grew into a major stronghold for insurgent forces, who pushed out a large part of the civilian populace. During the run up to the second battle (the infamous "Battle of Fallujah"), there was both a massive US and insurgent buildup on both sides. US forces allowed women and children to leave, but turned back every military-aged male. Then we went in and pretty much flattened the city. Fallujah was much smaller than Gaza geographically, and the insurgent forces weren't a pseudo-government receiving heavy weapons from sympathetic countries. The strategic objective was to crush a bastion of insurgent forces, rather than to contain them and remove their force projection capabilities (a la Gaza).

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

Fallujah isn't comparable to Gaza, really, in a strategic or a tactical sense. After US forces were pushed out of the city in early 2004, it eventually grew into a major stronghold for insurgent forces, who pushed out a large part of the civilian populace. During the run up to the second battle (the infamous "Battle of Fallujah"), there was both a massive US and insurgent buildup on both sides. US forces allowed women and children to leave, but turned back every military-aged male. Then we went in and pretty much flattened the city. Fallujah was much smaller than Gaza geographically, and the insurgent forces weren't a pseudo-government receiving heavy weapons from sympathetic countries. The strategic objective was to crush a bastion of insurgent forces, rather than to contain them and remove their force projection capabilities (a la Gaza).

Thank you. I had forgotten that the U.S. allowed women and children to leave the city beforehand.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A better comparison might be Sadr City.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm familiar with Muqtada Al-Sadr and Sadr City, but not with with the level of fighting that took place there during the war (other than "it was high"). I'm sorry that this is getting off-topic.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
JAM was full of assholes in spring 2008, and now they're apparently the ones responsible for trying to keep ISIS out of Baghdad.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Fucitol posted:

JAM was full of assholes in spring 2008, and now they're apparently the ones responsible for trying to keep ISIS out of Baghdad.

A good fight between ISIS and the Mahdi Army (IIRC they rebranded themselves as "Peace Brigades" recently) would be nice, hopefully they wipe each other out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just don't get why the DND posters think all israelies are war criminals or whatever for using guided munitions. It's not like they're carpet bombing with unguided bombs, or leveling Gaza with naval cannons or something. Trying to avoid civilian deaths where possible doesn't make you a war criminal, it makes you pursuant to world law actually. The key word is trying though.

P.s., I think watching JDAMs explode and level the launch site and the next four buildings is super sweet, gently caress you.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Larry Parrish posted:

I just don't get why the DND posters think all israelies are war criminals or whatever for using guided munitions. It's not like they're carpet bombing with unguided bombs, or leveling Gaza with naval cannons or something. Trying to avoid civilian deaths where possible doesn't make you a war criminal, it makes you pursuant to world law actually. The key word is trying though.

P.s., I think watching JDAMs explode and level the launch site and the next four buildings is super sweet, gently caress you.

People are just angry. There's significant evidence of war crimes on both sides, it's just that one side has killed upwards of 1500+ people (and estimates are that the vast majority are civilians) so whatever. People claiming that all Israelis are war criminals or that all individual IDF members are committing crimes is dumb and unhelpful to the discussion because it forces out people who can provide a different perspective. Like the weird turf war between posters from different subforums.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
War crimes is such a hypocritical term.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Redundant, too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sjurygg posted:

Redundant, too.

How edgy

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
A fine new start, Shimazu :)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

90 loving minutes

loving hilarious

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The defense of Poland lasted longer than this cease fire.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Israelis are like a 5'5" dude who knows how to fight and enjoys doing so.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The defense of Poland lasted longer than this cease fire.

Hey gently caress you Poland held out almost as long as the entire BEF and French Army in france with like half as many dudes against Germany and Russia :argh:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bolow posted:

Hey gently caress you Poland held out almost as long as the entire BEF and French Army in france with like half as many dudes against Germany and Russia :argh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter_War

I'm sorry, you were saying something about Poland holding out against the Soviets?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm sorry, you were saying something about Poland holding out against the Soviets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Soviet_War :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I have met a no-poo poo Finnish WInter War veteran and the guy is straight up the most hardcore person I will ever care to know. He had no qualms about discussing what he did in length and detail, to him, it was the exact same as going out and hunting a wolf that had been killing cattle. After I had been listening to him for a few hours I asked him how many Russians he had killed.

Dude laughed and said "More than I can remember, but not nearly as many as I would have liked" He ended the conversation chastising Eisenhower for not taking the initiative right after the war and nuking Moscow on May-Day.

Old Finnish people are Alpha-GiP as gently caress

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm blanking on the Finnish sniper or soldier who basically was preternaturally talented at killing Russians.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Republic_of_Poland

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm blanking on the Finnish sniper or soldier who basically was preternaturally talented at killing Russians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

505 confirmed kills in less than 100 days
:eyepop:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You guys do realize that Finland lost both times anyway?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Based on the staggering amount of Soviet casualties, I don't know if you can really call it a huge loss for the Finns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Yeah and the US lost its sense of pride to gender queers and vegans but we can still talk about the good times

Holy gently caress that guy was 5ft tall and only used iron sights on his rifle

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 1, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Hush, we're dickwaving over countries and battles we have absolutely no connection to.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

a red army general looking at a map of territory they just won posted:

We have won just about enough ground to bury our dead.

sick victory bruh

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Yeah and the US lost its sense of pride to gender queers and vegans but we can still talk about the good times

Holy gently caress that guy was 5ft tall and only used iron sights on his rifle

A lot of older dudes can shoot spooky-accurate with iron sights. I watched my grandad nail a gas can sitting ~400 yards away with an open sight on an old Mauser rifle, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

a win's a win

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Snowdens Secret posted:

About an hour and a half, or two hours five minutes, depending on if you count the kidnap attack or the first Hamas rockets hitting Sderot.

I guessed two hrs, so I think I win.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

We've also managed to not win most of our major conflicts in the past 60 years.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Panzeh posted:

a win's a win

A little more complex than that.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

• Locked thread