Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

So are we going to have separate US and Brit cop lounge threads because I can only read and understand about half of what's said in our lounge threads anymore.

ethnocentric wanker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Look at all these goons that don't even live in Texas bitching about the barrera idiomática

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
the forums are the only chance I get to interact with non brown foreigners, don't take the brits away.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Branis posted:

the forums are the only chance I get to interact with non brown foreigners, don't take the brits away.

You don't run across any Canadians? Or are they american enough that you don't count them?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
We are far enough from tourist destinations that nobody comes here accidentally, and theres nothing to do here but drink and smoke meth, so canadians generally stay away.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

beanieson posted:

Or are they american enough that you don't count them?

Motherfucker I'll beat you to death with a canoe paddle

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
P.S. I'm sorry

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
it was a complement. You guys are (nearly) living the dream :buddy:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Branis posted:

We are far enough from tourist destinations that nobody comes here accidentally, and theres nothing to do here but drink and smoke meth, so canadians generally stay away.

woah they make meth in liquid form now :wth:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

quote:

August '14 Police Lounge: JayKay Center For Cops That Can't Spell Good

Wait a sec....

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Police Scotland have started doing routine patrols with armed police, preparing to crush dissent after the crowning of His Majesty King Alexander I of Scotland on September 19th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28656324

I quite like the reversal of the US gun control argument in there though, if we give the police guns then criminals will have to get guns too!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Police Scotland have started doing routine patrols with armed police, preparing to crush dissent after the crowning of His Majesty King Alexander I of Scotland on September 19th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28656324

I quite like the reversal of the US gun control argument in there though, if we give the police guns then criminals will have to get guns too!

Except they're not. It's an armed police unit being deployed to routine incidents because there aren't enough resources to handle them. This has been happening all over the country for years already.

Police budgets were cut by 20% over the last 4 years and there's talk of them being cut by another 20% over the next 4 years. That is not sustainable. Police are already operating at "minimum staffing levels". Levels which have already been warped and altered beyond their original intention.

Example: In my old police force in 2010, we had a minimum staffing level of 4 constables for the city centre and another 8 for the outlying areas. So 12 cops covering an entire city of 320,000. For comparison, in the busiest nightclub there were about 15 bouncers.

Each police officer was responsible for the safety of 26,000 people. This was before the budget cuts.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Hezzy posted:

Except they're not. It's an armed police unit being deployed to routine incidents because there aren't enough resources to handle them. This has been happening all over the country for years already.

Police budgets were cut by 20% over the last 4 years and there's talk of them being cut by another 20% over the next 4 years. That is not sustainable. Police are already operating at "minimum staffing levels". Levels which have already been warped and altered beyond their original intention.

Example: In my old police force in 2010, we had a minimum staffing level of 4 constables for the city centre and another 8 for the outlying areas. So 12 cops covering an entire city of 320,000. For comparison, in the busiest nightclub there were about 15 bouncers.

Each police officer was responsible for the safety of 26,000 people. This was before the budget cuts.

how can you possibly cover just the routine call load let alone emergency calls for a city that big and 12 cops? The biggest city in my state, sioux falls, has 230 sworn officers and around 30-50 cops per shift for a city of 150,000 people.

Branis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 6, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Branis posted:

how can you possibly cover just the routine call load let alone emergency calls for a city that big and 12 cops? The biggest city in my state, sioux falls, has 230 sworn officers and around 30-50 cops per shift for a city of 150,000 people.

You can't.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Branis posted:

and around 30-50 cops per shift for a city of 150,000 people.

We'd kill for 30-50 on duty. We pushed our lowest limit I've ever seen the other night with just 9 patrol officers on duty for 350K. The admin deleted all concept of "minimum staffing" from our regs last year. It used to be like 25. If I hear one more complaint about those response times...

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Untagged posted:

If I hear one more complaint about those response times...

Don't worry, you will

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
250,000 people in my 11 square mile borough and on a Friday night or Saturday we routinely have 600-800 officers on the job :smug: . It be honest it isn't fair how much funding the MET get, although almost a quarter of our funding and maybe 33% of beat officers come from council funding.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

250,000 people in my 11 square mile borough and on a Friday night or Saturday we routinely have 600-800 officers on the job :smug: . It be honest it isn't fair how much funding the MET get, although almost a quarter of our funding and maybe 33% of beat officers come from council funding.

Property expensive in your area?

Property value + high property tax = Rich people wanting a lot of cops = A lot of cops

Live is a shithole with low poppity value? Suck it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It's a mixture of incredibly expensive property, the southern 2/3rds of the borough are very expensive, the northern third is a mix of high value commercial property and 2 square miles of pretty deprived council estates (projects). Gentrification is forcing most of the poors out and bringing the crime rate down, which our senior officers obviously claim as their hard work. A 2 bedroom 1000sq ft flat even in the poorer areas is going to set you back about £400k ($670000)

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I thought we were spread thin with a 30k population and 4 on duty.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Do any of you guys have corporate twitter accounts

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Of course
https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk

Infact there is a curious case on there right now where some gnomes have been arrested for concealing firearms in the garden.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hahahaha Facebook is absolutely blowing up over this fake news story.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile on the internet....

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Oh look gently caress the police comment stupidity. On the internet. I am shocked. Shocked.

Us vs. Online Commenters am I rite?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I tried to explain to a friend that posted the story with outrage that it was fake and she told me I was just trying to discredit the story so people forgot it happened. :negative:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I tried to explain to a friend that posted the story with outrage that it was fake and she told me I was just trying to discredit the story so people forgot it happened. :negative:

Pretty sure that's when you unfriend... or maybe hook up with because if she's that crazy she has to be good in bed.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

TCD posted:

Pretty sure that's when you unfriend... or maybe hook up with because if she's that crazy she has to be good in bed.

:ninja:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

flipping heck

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

TCD posted:

She's an idiot, so she probably hates her father. If she hates her father, she'll probably ride your cock until it breaks.

Sex Ed. 101.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
whip is already banging her, it is his wife that said it not his "friend".

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Chased a drunken guy a mile down some train tracks earlier because he was refused travel for being too drunk + aggressive. Missed being splatted by a 70mph train by less than a minute.

Apparently he's going to put in a complaint against me

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Hezzy posted:

Chased a drunken guy a mile down some train tracks earlier because he was refused travel for being too drunk + aggressive. Missed being splatted by a 70mph train by less than a minute.

Apparently he's going to put in a complaint against me

A body cam would have prevented this.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Whats your warrant number? I would like to corroborate this compliant on 2 grounds.

1. You shouldn't be able to run a mile without suffering a catastrophic coronary heart attack, it makes the rest of us look bad. Just be happy with the 5.4 on the beep test

2. He was clearly a jerk, the best place for him would have been spread across several hundred yards of network rail property.

I'm off to a police BBQ today, obviously pork is off the menu as cannibalism is an unconscionable crime and units who had to work today are already making threats to ruin the fun by arresting attendees.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
English BBQ. Sounds tasty :barf:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Reign Of Pain posted:

English BBQ. Sounds tasty :barf:

better than midwest

oi u cunts i brought some fuckin crisps

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

krispykremessuck posted:

better than midwest

oi u cunts i brought some fuckin crisps

Midwest does have some pretty boring bbq, but its gotta be better than whatever goes on at an English one...They probably put turnips on the grill.

South Central Texas is where it's at :smug:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
we already had this debate and we all agreed lefse, lutefisk, and hotdish are the greatest foods ever brought to america by immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Branis posted:

we already had this debate and we all agreed lefse, lutefisk, and hotdish are the greatest foods ever brought to america by immigrants.

gross

• Locked thread