Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Had a showdown with BTP this morning, a call went out on a cross-force channel for additional units as BTP had (I'm not fibbing here) left a McDonalds at 4am and stumbled on a large pub fight on our patch. By the time we turn up with 12 officers and 3 wagons they have the situation well under control, 4 people in cuffs. One of the 6 BTP officers walks up and says "there you go, your patch, your bodies" naturally we said gently caress off, so it then turns in to a pissing contest to see who can get the highest ranking officer to turn up and give out orders. We won after a chief inspector turned up and BTP could only rustle up a pair of sergeants and said "next time eat your refs in a train station and this won't happen. Also don't be using our nick for those bodies, we are full"

Why can't we just get along?

Most of my intake started work in London and from what I've heard from one of my mates, this sounds about right. Seems that the vast majority of decent BTP are in my division! He's sick of most of his colleagues who are incredibly lazy. One of them is nicknamed Bongo because he books on and never goes out of the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

So are we going to have separate US and Brit cop lounge threads because I can only read and understand about half of what's said in our lounge threads anymore.

ethnocentric wanker

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Police Scotland have started doing routine patrols with armed police, preparing to crush dissent after the crowning of His Majesty King Alexander I of Scotland on September 19th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28656324

I quite like the reversal of the US gun control argument in there though, if we give the police guns then criminals will have to get guns too!

Except they're not. It's an armed police unit being deployed to routine incidents because there aren't enough resources to handle them. This has been happening all over the country for years already.

Police budgets were cut by 20% over the last 4 years and there's talk of them being cut by another 20% over the next 4 years. That is not sustainable. Police are already operating at "minimum staffing levels". Levels which have already been warped and altered beyond their original intention.

Example: In my old police force in 2010, we had a minimum staffing level of 4 constables for the city centre and another 8 for the outlying areas. So 12 cops covering an entire city of 320,000. For comparison, in the busiest nightclub there were about 15 bouncers.

Each police officer was responsible for the safety of 26,000 people. This was before the budget cuts.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Branis posted:

how can you possibly cover just the routine call load let alone emergency calls for a city that big and 12 cops? The biggest city in my state, sioux falls, has 230 sworn officers and around 30-50 cops per shift for a city of 150,000 people.

You can't.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Do any of you guys have corporate twitter accounts

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I tried to explain to a friend that posted the story with outrage that it was fake and she told me I was just trying to discredit the story so people forgot it happened. :negative:

flipping heck

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Chased a drunken guy a mile down some train tracks earlier because he was refused travel for being too drunk + aggressive. Missed being splatted by a 70mph train by less than a minute.

Apparently he's going to put in a complaint against me

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Did anyone else notice that there are a ridiculous number of views vs replies on this thread

Less than 100 replies
2000+ views

What's all that about

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Edwardian posted:

(I lurk. I'm only married to an LEO, so I am not qualified to comment. :( )

Of course you can comment! You can provide a unique perspective that may be helpful for some of us in here :)

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
probably shouldn't mention that i'm doing my sergeants in a couple of months times

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

We never get to meet our dispatchers, but DDO's (detention officers) and probationers get passed around like a bag of sweets. When an attractive new female ends up being assigned to a response team it's like flies round poo poo and half of them end up getting logjammed within the first few months.

Hezzy, does your probationary period get waived because you served as a special?

Nah, it finishes in March. But you're allowed to take OSPRE in the year that your probation ends. Mock is in Oct / Nov with the real thing in January, so I've heard. Looking forward to it! Brushing up on poaching offences and the Badger Act

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've never had any of my prisoners get turned away but a lot of the Sergeants around my area are very strict with S24 PACE (Necessity criteria to arrest, for my iron bru loving brother). I've been sent 2 hours to the next near custody suite though because of some jurisdictional rubbish that basically boiled down to "I don't like BTP so I'm going to send them 50 miles away"

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

chartley posted:

Once again we may be neighbours but the systems have such minor differences. I've never had to 'justify' the arrest but also know that I can't just present people for minor crimes to the gaffer without a reason. The reason could be that they are no fixed abode so can't be reported or that they needed the jail to prevent a repeat or at least be held until sober.

Our way seems simpler. And that suits me.

It really is simpler. Had a guy the other day who was refused travel because he was drunk and aggressive. He comes back twice in 2 hours and is refused travel each time. He comes back a final time, pint of lager in hand and decides he wants to get arrested so he can have a cell for the night instead of paying for a hotel. He wants to be arrested for being drunk and disorderly, so he is clearly drunk and disorderly but is not doing anything to justify his arrest. Usually in those circumstances we'd arrest them to establish their name and address OR to prevent harm / damage to people / property. But he was doing none of that and we had taken his details earlier in the night.

This prompted him to jump onto the tracks and run to the north. When he got to the edge of the station he realised he had made a terrible mistake and was going to get severely reamed if he was caught, so he led us on a half mile run across the tracks out of the station in pitch black. Now I don't know if you guys have walked on tracks before but it's really hard, let alone running after somebody. Imagine you're running across a beach where there's those really big rocks that shift under your feet, except that everything is covered in diesel and if you touch the wrong thing you'll be instantly killed. Oh yeah, and there's trains flying about at 70mph too.

This wouldn't have happened if the arrest criteria wasn't silly.

We managed to grab him further up the track. He was processed by another officer and charged in the morning. He was arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly as well as Obstructing the Railway. For some reason he was only charged with D&D. Kind of silly considering that he probably caused £2000+ in running costs / delays and the fact we risked our lives to chase him. Less than a minute after we had removed him from the track, a train went zooming past where we had caught him. Really scary to think what would have happened if we were a minute or two late in grabbing him.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

That is a lose lose situation for you really. Who does the charging for your bodies, do you have to rely on the normal territorial constabulary to decide on charges? Because I seriously doubt any of our sergeants are aware of the points to prove for obstructing railways etc and as it doesn't affect our figures I'm guessing it will end up being NFA'd (no further action for the septics in this thread.)

PACE is a piece of poo poo with so many stupid mnemonics and mental tick boxes, when it stops people being arrested for being a drunk arsehole because the grounds are a bit of a grey area then it's effectively failing the public, especially when every passer by is looking at the person and wondering why you aren't putting him in cuffs and taking him away.

One of our officers went to charge but we don't really have any say in what they get charged with. It's a "This is my custody suite, you do as I say" kind of thing. Pretty lovely.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Branis posted:

police shot a black kid so lets loot nike stores and weave shops. I will show the police my displeaure at them by destroying the livelihood of my fellow community members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

deja vu

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Was there some kind of forum drama I have missed?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Britcops what's up with these Tesco raids, what the hell

No idea what you're on about

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Untagged posted:

I've been ice bucket challenged. Which I think is total bullshit because it makes me look like a heartless dick if I don't feel like participating even though I already personally donate a lot of money to various charities every year.

Same, but our PR guy was like "nope"

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
welp just got authorisation to take my sergeant's exam

cow pun edit; gonna cream my pants

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004