Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Break out the tinfoil and doff those thinking caps, it's modern mythology month! Cryptozoology, urban mythology, hairbrained conspiracy theories, you name it!
A great place to start is to check out Wikipedia's handy list of cryptids and urban legends.

Some blogs to check out
http://campfire-dispatch.tumblr.com/
http://fuckyeahstrangemythology.tumblr.com/
http://ghoulsandmonsters.tumblr.com/
http://generationexorcist.tumblr.com/
http://forteanworld.tumblr.com/
http://unexplained-events.com/

The big one around here (Pacific Northwest USA) is Sasquatch, of course.

And an ooold painting of a pugalope why not

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
ok

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Reposting since technically this was an august drawing! Still a work in progress, of course. And oddly enough, seems to fit the theme pretty well!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Reposting since technically this was an august drawing! Still a work in progress, of course. And oddly enough, seems to fit the theme pretty well!

Could you put up process pics? I'm really curious how you get such clean and detailed lines

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Sociopastry posted:

Could you put up process pics? I'm really curious how you get such clean and detailed lines

Not too difficult, but I'm afraid I didn't save any of my WIP stuff - I'm working with a Wacom, using GIMP at a fairly high resolution (about 4200 x 3000, but that's for the larger design), I just use the basic solid circle brush at a 5 pixel size with a Size / Pressure brush dynamic. It allows me to lightly sketch light lines and then come back and press a little harder for the cleaner, finished lines. The pictures itself sort of is an example - I block in the shapes that I like, then I come back and finalize the 3d aspects and details with the firmer lines. You can tell pretty easily which areas I've focused on and which areas I have yet to resolve.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Jackalope:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Vectorized an art project from last semester

Edit: I've been working on vectorizing this today:

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
I've been following these threads forever but never posted anything. I just got a scanner though, so that's gonna change.

For my first effort I picked a classic.

I never really work with markers. So I've already learned a good deal and I've only just begun.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
My cryptid for today is the Popobawa, which is a cyclopian Tanzanian bat monster best know for poltergiest behavior and being a rapist nymphomaniac. It's...it's a special one, as far as urban legends go.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Today I drew

all the geese

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

First of the month!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I did this little animation test today to figure out some 3D problems

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Day 2, Jackalope

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Pokeylope posted:

Day 2, Jackalope

Way to trace over my drawing buddy. <:mad:>
It's even got the same ears and proportions and everything!
I kid, people in this thread are too quiet it makes me think that everyone in here is a serial killer or something.

I like his face.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
When I don’t know what to draw, I start with a Frankenstein sketch. I have hundreds of these guys laying around.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

Lovely. That is one chill looking dog. :smugdog:

Was thinking about attending some local figure drawing sessions soon - anyone have any book recommendations on the subject? So far I've just got Loomis's stuff but it hasn't really clicked for me just yet.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Really gotta start actually looking at the thread topic before I start drawing. Ah well.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Skull Squid?!

Coffee Squid?!

2 Designs for starting my t-shirt business :D
Response has been good so far, so pretty pleased.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

scarycave posted:

Way to trace over my drawing buddy. <:mad:>
It's even got the same ears and proportions and everything!
I kid, people in this thread are too quiet it makes me think that everyone in here is a serial killer or something.

I like his face.
Thanks

I was gonna do a wolpertinger instead but antelope horns are way cooler than antlers, and I certainly don't plan on being quiet.
Gonna try to doodle everyday like it says up top, it's a habit I want to pick up and this seems like a great way to do it.

Here's today's cryptid, the Chick-charney

They say if you encounter one of these fellas and treat it with deference and respect, good luck is sure to come your way.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Actual moleskine brand moleskine paper kinda sucks for markers :\

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

painting on my tablet - I keep realising how little contrast I've included when I port it to my desktop (and then can see it on the original), it's driving me nuts. Still, that's what practice is for...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Humboldt Squid posted:

Actual moleskine brand moleskine paper kinda sucks for markers :\

The best paper I've found per dollar for markers is regular old printer paper. I hate moleskines in general, though.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Here's a quick drawing that I'll hopefully come back to on the weekend to add texture and maybe color.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

mutata posted:

The best paper I've found per dollar for markers is regular old printer paper. I hate moleskines in general, though.

My "Moleskine" sketchbooks are usually Hand-book brand, actually. Thicker, better quality paper, better binding and stiff covers (it's the type I took with me to Venezuela). I've been using a pocket sized moleskine I got as a gift lately though due to its size.
Speaking of Venezuela I painted some souvenirs.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Tried to make a Wak-wak today but I couldn't come up with a decent design for the life of me.

Prolly gonna keep at it, it's a wierd one and I wanna do it justice.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I love Moleskine drawing paper for general-purpose water-based ink doodling, but yeah it doesn't seem to handle alcohol inks very well. I might have to check out Hand Book, though...

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I don't like moleskines because they feel too expensive to sketch on and my brain shuts down. The best thing I ever did for my sketching was go to kmart and buy like 10 lovely notepads for a dollar.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Agreed on moleskine's feeling too nice, my mum bought me one and I've hardly touched it, I'm awful for that 'can't risk wasting nice paper' stupidity. Reams of printer paper are about my level.

~90m from photo. Getting more comfortable with this painting lark, though it still feels much less natural than outlines for everything.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Israel has a right to defend itself!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Well, I made this for the ADTRW boobs thread but it got gassed so I'm posting it here.

The mythological beast, Adolf Titler.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
Drew a monster guy. Good way to unwind.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I was asked to do a Tshirt for my drinking club's campout.

I made a few thumbnails, practiced the layout, tweaked some things in the end, and think I made it as best I could, with my current ability. I really need to focus on not drawing so flat. and thanks for the notes on my last thing it really helped.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Click for Huger

Not quiiiite finished, but almost there!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sargent Bananas (who apparently was a TMNT character) for @sketch dailies

Try to guess where I lost interest.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
McKilligan, you're loving killing it dude. loving love that poo poo.

Here's another weekly Cubebrush challenge entry.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

McKilligan posted:

Not quiiiite finished, but almost there!

Wow. That is so drat awesome! Is it for a tattoo?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Is there a term for stylizing creatures to look like a simple geometric shape? Although I'm not sure what kind of simple geometric shape this is. Rounded cylinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

supermikhail posted:

Rounded cylinder?

dome probably

• Locked thread