Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

Note Block fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Burqa King posted:

Thanks! I was surprised how well that came out first try actually. Anyway, I reckon the best way to settle this is by giving it a go. One waydt thread, and one themed 10-minute doodle thread. If we have enough bandwidth of course :D See you on... tha flip side..

Imagine how good this thread could be if you weren't posting in it
I'm almost done with this:

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014
Trying to learn inking. The original sketches are pretty old, I used to draw huge beaks for these ducks.

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

This looks nice. What program did you use?
Cunrrently, I'm trying to do tradiotional frame animation with photoshop. Not really a program for that type of stuff, though it is possible.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

strangeneighbor posted:

This looks nice. What program did you use?
Cunrrently, I'm trying to do tradiotional frame animation with photoshop. Not really a program for that type of stuff, though it is possible.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think Bitmap uses Tv Paint?
I can sympathize with Photoshop being a pain in the butt to animate in though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We had some left over flowers from a company party. I had 30 mins left over from lunch.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THIS POLICY PLEASE PM ME SO I CAN READ IT AND ENJOY HEARING YOUR VIGOROUS OPINIONS REGARDING POSTING ABOUT POLITICS ONLINE

strangeneighbor posted:

Trying to learn inking. The original sketches are pretty old, I used to draw huge beaks for these ducks.

Which ducks are those?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Goop posted:

Which ducks are those?

Based on the horseshoe I'm going to guess that is none other than Gladstone Gander, the luckiest duck and Daisy since Donald is heartbroken over it.

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

SymfonyMan posted:

Based on the horseshoe I'm going to guess that is none other than Gladstone Gander, the luckiest duck and Daisy since Donald is heartbroken over it.

That's right. There's also that little tag in the bracelet that says For Daisy <3 DD.
In the Vietnam picture, it's supposed to be Donald and Daisy in the 70s. I guess she grew her hair long. Or some random woman, I don't know.

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

scarycave posted:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think Bitmap uses Tv Paint?
I can sympathize with Photoshop being a pain in the butt to animate in though.

It's frustrating because it's almost good and intuitive for animating. But it's just not quite there yet so you have to come up with all kinds of weird tricks to get what you want. But the little that I tried using other (free) animation softwares Pencil and Synfic, didn't really feel like they were for me either.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

it's a big mouth

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Is that supposed to be the map of the UK, specifically northern England, hidden in the mouth?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Rikitikitavi for @Sketch_Dailies

and I'm calling this one done

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 27, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Been following your progress with barnacle joan closely this month and if you can stand it I'd love to see you just work into her shading a bit more to really given the contours some pop. I saw you changed the outside of her knee and that was pretty effective, next I think if you blended the three distinct sections of her upper thigh you could avoid the stocking and suspender look. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours I should think and there's still a weekend left before September!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Watching "Beauty is Embarrassing" and missing doing animation.

Halloween is on my brain. Just a small doodle.

Penguin buddy

Butts butts butts

Micro fine pen. Everything is tiny.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 28, 2014

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

strangeneighbor posted:

It's frustrating because it's almost good and intuitive for animating. But it's just not quite there yet so you have to come up with all kinds of weird tricks to get what you want. But the little that I tried using other (free) animation softwares Pencil and Synfic, didn't really feel like they were for me either.

I can't get down to animating in photoshop. If there was a better scrubbable timeline and I was using that plugin then, I mean, maybe, but motion is that much more important than how it looks. Tvpaint is somewhere in the middle. I've worked together some pretty decent tricks and brushes to make things look good now, so it's not so bad anymore. I recommend you try the TvPaint trial. I'm on flash again for this two month job I'm on at the moment and it is excruciating.

I had a dream where I helped design a program with photoshops brush and image tools, with a flash timeline, but it was overlayed on a very basic 3d engine so that you could set up and keyframe basic shapes in perfect perspective and use them for guides for what you're drawing? And it had this system where over these 3d things you could overlay bezier curves for managing your arcs and notch them for planning your spacing? It was a beautiful dream. That's a perfect program.

edit- so I mean basically photoshop CS5+ with special names for notched bezier curves and a flash timeline

bitmap fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 28, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Burqa King posted:

Been following your progress with barnacle joan closely this month and if you can stand it I'd love to see you just work into her shading a bit more to really given the contours some pop. I saw you changed the outside of her knee and that was pretty effective, next I think if you blended the three distinct sections of her upper thigh you could avoid the stocking and suspender look. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours I should think and there's still a weekend left before September!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty bored with working on it right now, but I'll see if I can make time to dench it up later.

Anyway, any suggestions for next month's theme?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

How about a "back to school" thread?

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

This is my first painting, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Based on what I have thus far, any tips to make it not look so amateurish?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Reene posted:

How about a "back to school" thread?

Good idea, be a dear and draft the op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

mister_gosh posted:

This is my first painting, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Based on what I have thus far, any tips to make it not look so amateurish?

Don't fret too much if your work isn't where you want it yet, that is what practice is for. As for the piece, well unfortunately the drawing has issues that are going to make it hard to turn it into a successful painting. The composition is odd, the anatomy is not quite right, the character's poses are awkward(especially the kid), the ground seems wonky with how the dead guy is placed, there are foreshortening issues, almost every object in the painting leads the eye off the page, etc. There are quite a few things that need fixing.

I think if I were you I'd set this piece aside, at least for now, and do some master studies. A still life is also a very good exercise that I'd 100% recommend but if you want to get better at composition and arranging scenes, a master study is going to give you the best gains for time invested.

Pick an artist, be it an old master painter or a famous illustrator. You'll want someone who's work stands the test of time (so probably a dead person) and you'll want to copy their work the best you can. Pay attention to composition, stuff like how they place figures on a page, how they manage the lights and darks to create focal points (value), etc. Even if you have no experience, you can learn a tremendous amount just by looking at art closely and trying to replicate it as close to the original as you can. Take your time with this too. If you are done in an hour then you didn't look close enough.

Also you might not want to use a sketchbook for this. Try getting a large sheet of paper or canvas/board/whatever. It is harder to work small than it is to work big so you can make the learning a bit easier on yourself by working on a larger surface.

You can do it! The important thing is to practice a lot, and take the good with a bad. If a work doesn't seem to be turning out, then scrap it and start the next one.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Don't really have any ideas for a theme. Maybe something fall themed?
Anyways, here's this test thing -

I hosed up the legs.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
A black shuck and a weirdo dragon. Not really pushing myself on either one, but they made good warmups.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
A quick sketchy paint of some steampunk clockwork zombie "thing" (40 or so minutes.)

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Finished Vigo the Carpugthian today.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Did a li'l something for the Sketch Daily twitter thingy:

Dr. Strange. Done entirely in Manga Studio 5. Strange himself is done using the pen tools, while the background was done using the oil paint brush.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Question for digital goons. I'll be getting an iPad for my birthday next month and wondered if there are any really good programs on there to do some digital art work?
I've never really done it before apart for trying it out on PC with a tablet and hated the fact I had to stare at the screen and not where I was drawing.

Figured I'd have better luck on the iPad with the right program.

Also totally looking into an Inkling... Anyone here use that?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ExplodingSquid posted:

Question for digital goons. I'll be getting an iPad for my birthday next month and wondered if there are any really good programs on there to do some digital art work?
I've never really done it before apart for trying it out on PC with a tablet and hated the fact I had to stare at the screen and not where I was drawing.

Not tried the Inkling (although believe me, I want to, IFX raved over the thing, and skipping a step with something I clip to my sketchbook really appeals), but ArtRage is definitely available for iPad, and I've liked that program since version 2. It's basically a sort of Painterly program, with a UI you can just push out the way when you need to (IE - Whenever you aren't changing brushes/colour), and it's fairly cheap.

Here's a link to the iPad specific version.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ExplodingSquid posted:

Sketchbook Pro is also pretty good

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Finished Vigo the Carpugthian today.

This is great, what media did you use? The fearsome animal on his shield being a cat is super adorable because I could totally see a cat striking fear into the heart of a lil pug. That must be where he got his scar!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ExplodingSquid posted:

I love love love Procreate. I have used a ton of apps, and this one is the one for me.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Phylodox posted:

Did a li'l something for the Sketch Daily twitter thingy:

Dr. Strange. Done entirely in Manga Studio 5. Strange himself is done using the pen tools, while the background was done using the oil paint brush.

Is he supposed to have two right hands?

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Hernando posted:

This is great, what media did you use? The fearsome animal on his shield being a cat is super adorable because I could totally see a cat striking fear into the heart of a lil pug. That must be where he got his scar!

It's Prismacolor pencils on toned paper. And yeah, I think the kitten rampant is one of my favorite things about it. I'm working on a series of animals as as D&D characters, I'm coloring the bard in now.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I sketch things then get bored and never finish them.

Something about the composition of this seems off but I can't put my finger on it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McKilligan posted:

Is he supposed to have two right hands?

He doesn't. His pinkies are at kind of weird angles.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

Something about the composition of this seems off but I can't put my finger on it.

Try flipping it horizontally, I think it works better that way.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

try flipping horizontally a lot more and maybe dropping vertical plumb lines when you're planning a drawing. It seems like you, as myself, tend to lean things to the right.

I quickly framed it a little different so the horizon is on the third line, rotated left to account for the lean, then repositioned the dino.

Here are some of the points that bug me in the image, compositionally. Tangents and overlaps which interrupt the eye or lead out of the picture.

edit- of course, that rock didn't lead out of the image until I rotated it :downs:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm going to give my eyes a rest and come back to this later. Have a great rest of August everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Hurray amazing day job. :)

Boo, less time for dinos n' diplocalus :(

• Locked thread