Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I said no to a residence slot. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
A staff in my flight today got counseled by my captain and his section head for saying "gently caress" at PT this morning.

Apparently a :siren: chief select :siren: overheard him using "excessive and unnecessary instances of the f bomb" while the staff was in civilian clothes about to run. This beacon of Christian Air Force values then called up our flight commander demanding punishment before he alerts the squadron commander. Didn't say a word to the staff in person. Hell, didn't even know his name, just gave a description to our captain.

The world is soft. The Air Force is soft. Everything is gay. gently caress this gay earth.

Edit: burn all nobles

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

smertrioslol posted:

A staff in my flight today got counseled by my captain and his section head for saying "gently caress" at PT this morning.

Apparently a :siren: chief select :siren: overheard him using "excessive and unnecessary instances of the f bomb" while the staff was in civilian clothes about to run. This beacon of Christian Air Force values then called up our flight commander demanding punishment before he alerts the squadron commander. Didn't say a word to the staff in person. Hell, didn't even know his name, just gave a description to our captain.

The world is soft. The Air Force is soft. Everything is gay. gently caress this gay earth.

Hahahaha I'm so glad I quit

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

smertrioslol posted:

the nonflying part of the air force is like this parallel bizarro universe

I mean wtf do you guys even do lol

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
:iiam:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Fix computers for intel spergs and try desperately to keep one step ahead of maintainers breaking theirs.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm hoping for a sweet NCOA spot before my DEROS. I could do the online course or spend six weeks of bullshitting in what is essentially an entry-level college class, living an hour from home and collecting over a a hundred a day per diem? gently caress YOU, Course 15. Luckily I line up just right in TIG to be eligible for some of the last actual classes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rekinom posted:

have planes exist as a paper thing / entry in GDSS and nothing more

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Rekinom posted:

Issue weather forecasts so you dumbfuck pilots don't lawn dart in thunderstorms/ice conditions.

Alternately, shut down the runway for "weather reasons" which means you are acting like a jackoff.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Issue weather forecasts so you dumbfuck pilots don't lawn dart in thunderstorms/ice conditions.

Alternately, shut down the runway for "weather reasons" which means you are acting like a jackoff.

Wait, are you actually a weather guesser?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Dead Reckoning posted:

weather guesser

So, just throwing around the vernacular, or is this a "genuine" use of weather guesser?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wait, are you actually a weather guesser?

I was when I was in after a brief stint in EOD.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

antimatt posted:

So, just throwing around the vernacular, or is this a "genuine" use of weather guesser?

A little of column A, a little of column B. Forecaster gives them far too much credit.
Especially in the Air Force, where the AFI directs what conditions they will forecast for given inputs.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

A little of column A, a little of column B. Forecaster gives them far too much credit.
Especially in the Air Force, where the AFI directs what conditions they will forecast for given inputs.

Since when?

Because the whole point of the career field is to use atmospheric dynamics training to turn the raw data into viable products that out perform model forecasts. At least was when I was in. AFIs were never totalitarian. If you didn't know what the gently caress you were doing you could get an unreliable reminder of what steps/products to look at, but it couldn't write a usable forecast.

I didn't even know where we kept our AFIs. I had our station binder and SOP. Everything else was poo poo we learned in Tech/CDC training and all the times we hosed it up before.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

How many forecasts have you written

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Yeah, that's not a thing you do or have ever done

Vindictively shut down a runway because some unseen pilot is acting like a jackoff

Don't be that guy man

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah, that's not a thing you do or have ever done

Vindictively shut down a runway because some unseen pilot is acting like a jackoff

Don't be that guy man

No it isn't but it is something an Army General accused us of once.

2 things about this. One, technically we can't shut down an airfield. Thats handled by base ops. Forecasters just forecast conditions and then the observers have to observe it and report those to base ops and the tower, who then decide if the air field is to be shut down. How that is determined is based on the aircraft. And they can shut down operations for aircraft independently. As in a C130 is cleared for flight but the crashhawks can not.

The second, AFWA and senior Army don't get along. Or at least didn't when I was in. Because every time their base ops or tower shut poo poo down, they blamed AFWA. And base ops loved to say it was our fault since they knew dipshit pilots and commanders weren't smart enough to know better.

The post was a shot at dipshit pilots who loved to cry about how we didn't like them personally so we shut down the airfield. Pilots are self centered gently caress sticks who don't even understand who makes airfield calls. Just a tip. Its a mix between base ops and the tower.

I just told people the weather. But god drat did I get blamed for some poo poo.

Here is a secret about weather personnel and you. We don't like you.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Um, I'm never met a pilot who thought that weather controls whether the field was open or not. But then again you're talking about Army pilots who I've heard are basically clueless about any sort of aviation that's not tactical. Like dudes who legit cannot fly when it's not VFR outside.

And while we're on pilot chat, I want to share this thought before people start crying about too much pilot chat. If life was an MMORPG, infantry would be warriors, spec ops would be thieves/rogues, and aircrew would be the mages.

Intel/EW/C2 planes are the buffer/debuffer mages, fighters/bombers/attack helos are the nukers, and CSAR/evac planes are the healers. Cargo are traveling vendor NPC's that sell you potions and armor. Tankers are basically utility mages that can only restore the mana of other mages. Not very versatile, but critical in a boss fight that drags on and you run out of mana restore potions.

This is legit how I explain my job to people.

p.s. C-130s and Blackhawks are epic mounts.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Here's my experience:

Last time I was overseas, our weather team would forecast freezing fog at one of our airfields on a regular basis. Freezing fog has a fairly significant impact on takeoff times and ops. Every time I would call base ops at this base and ask if the freezing fog was going to impact flying, and every time they would tell me that they weren't experiencing freezing fog, and that sorties would go as normal. Eventually I asked the weather guy why he kept predicting freezing fog that never materialized. He told me that, when temperature was predicted to be between X and Y, and predicted humidity was above Z%, they were directed by their regs to forecast freezing fog. I explained that they were crying wolf, and that their products weren't useful to me if I could not trust that what they were forecasting would occur. He told me that the reg was the reg and they could not change it. Maybe that guy was full of poo poo, I don't know.

Also there was that time that a base they forecast as "no significant weather impacts" went below takeoff mins for three hours, four hours after the forecast was published.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rekinom posted:

Um, I'm never met a pilot who thought that weather controls whether the field was open or not. But then again you're talking about Army pilots who I've heard are basically clueless about any sort of aviation that's not tactical. Like dudes who legit cannot fly when it's not VFR outside.

And while we're on pilot chat, I want to share this thought before people start crying about too much pilot chat. If life was an MMORPG, infantry would be warriors, spec ops would be thieves/rogues, and aircrew would be the mages.

Intel/EW/C2 planes are the buffer/debuffer mages, fighters/bombers/attack helos are the nukers, and CSAR/evac planes are the healers. Cargo are traveling vendor NPC's that sell you potions and armor. Tankers are basically utility mages that can only restore the mana of other mages. Not very versatile, but critical in a boss fight that drags on and you run out of mana restore potions.

nerd

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

not denying this

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Apparently you can trip the lightning sensor on the FMQ-19 weather station by flicking a lighter right next to it. And our precipitation ID sensor was messed up at one point and would report rain whenever an F-16 would take off at full afterburners.

That's my contribution to weather chat I guess \/:(\/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

Are radios and IFF tactical? Cuz Army pilots are clueless about them, too.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
The Apaches we worked with would not shut up about Rip Its.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rekinom posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Dead Reckoning posted:

Freezing fog has a fairly significant impact on takeoff times and ops.

No thoughts that the problem might exist on the other end of that stick? That perhaps the regs that drive that requirement might need adjustment? The issue could be that freezing fog (FZFG) is observed whenever the temp is 00C or lower and vis is... blah blah blah, you get the idea. However the dangerous conditions associated with it occur when the water suspended in the atmosphere is supercooled, and not just above freezing liquid or below freezing solid. While not impossible to forecast the supercooled condition (similar to freezing rain/drizzle) doing so reliably enough to be used as a decision-making tool is not realistic. Hence: it's below freezing and vis is below a certain threshold, observe FZFG. Due to its possibly dangerous conditions, forecast FZFG in the same instances. And that's a WMO / NWS standard, not a USAF standard.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also there was that time that a base they forecast as "no significant weather impacts" went below takeoff mins for three hours, four hours after the forecast was published.

I've had situations where it was virtually impossible to forecast accurately because there is no reliable or accurate data. You could have complete upper level cloud cover blocking view of a bank of advection fog while the only observations and forecasts in the area are from an unreliable country. (don't get me started on some of the poo poo observing/forecasting I've seen...) Current ob says CAVOK, forecast says CAVOK, model data shows a slight increase in low-level moisture, but nothing else. Do you go against that? Not likely.

It's essentially being on one side of a wall and hearing sleigh bells. You think reindeer only to open the door and see two circus clowns fist-loving a court jester. Sometimes it just happens.

pkells posted:

Apparently you can trip the lightning sensor on the FMQ-19 weather station by flicking a lighter right next to it. And our precipitation ID sensor was messed up at one point and would report rain whenever an F-16 would take off at full afterburners.

I've never seen it triggered by a lighter, but I have seen the TMQ-53 tactical system tripped by a cell phone placed on top of the sensor which received a call. I've also seen the systems light up from certain aircraft which can produce a lot of radio noise for specific reasons.

Also the precipitation ID sensor wasn't messed up, that's the passing of the aircraft causing the tilt bucket in the rain gauge to vibrate enough that it registers a tilt and thus record precipitation. Also happens when CH-47s decide to fly low over the systems, etc.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

worst poster

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xaarman posted:

worst poster

How can you *say* that?

antimatt posted:

It's essentially being on one side of a wall and hearing sleigh bells. You think reindeer only to open the door and see two circus clowns fist-loving a court jester. Sometimes it just happens.

Rest of it is just Air Scout droning, but once you pick out the critical information...

antimatt posted:

A thing of beauty.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Fridays at Lakenpain are the worst. More meetings, please.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's my experience:

Last time I was overseas, our weather team would forecast freezing fog at one of our airfields on a regular basis. Freezing fog has a fairly significant impact on takeoff times and ops. Every time I would call base ops at this base and ask if the freezing fog was going to impact flying, and every time they would tell me that they weren't experiencing freezing fog, and that sorties would go as normal. Eventually I asked the weather guy why he kept predicting freezing fog that never materialized. He told me that, when temperature was predicted to be between X and Y, and predicted humidity was above Z%, they were directed by their regs to forecast freezing fog. I explained that they were crying wolf, and that their products weren't useful to me if I could not trust that what they were forecasting would occur. He told me that the reg was the reg and they could not change it. Maybe that guy was full of poo poo, I don't know.

That guy was an idiot.

Forecasting fog is more than just temp and humidity. You have to look at wind speeds, if you have an inversion, your base surroundings, ect. There is way more poo poo involved than temp and humidity. And I doubt there would be a reg in place that says that. Because again, fog has way more variables involved. Freezing fog vs regular fog is a matter of temperature and a couple other things that are dependent on what is causing the fog (ie is it fog resulting from a lake or swamp). Just because its below freezing and 100% humidity, you are not going to forecast freezing fog. And there is not or should not be a reg saying so.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
this sure is the usaf thread

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
:negative:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I make sure that 10 volts is 10 volts, 190 ohms is 190 ohms, that 329 milliamps is 329 milliamps, and that 900 nanoFarads is 900 nanoFarads. I have also been known to make sure that 250 Ft-Lbs is 250 Ft-Lbs ± 4% in the CW direction and ± 6% in the CCW direction, unless it's a TECH wrench which are badass and are good down to 2% of the indicated value.

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.

A Kpro posted:

I make sure that 10 volts is 10 volts, 190 ohms is 190 ohms, that 329 milliamps is 329 milliamps, and that 900 nanoFarads is 900 nanoFarads. I have also been known to make sure that 250 Ft-Lbs is 250 Ft-Lbs ± 4% in the CW direction and ± 6% in the CCW direction, unless it's a TECH wrench which are badass and are good down to 2% of the indicated value.

Everything described is +/- the largest margin that you can convince the generally clueless, but too proud to ask anyone that actually uses the equipment, 7-level to accept. Also, you should be limiting torque wrenches to 6% CW anyway because half the time the customer doesn't know what "CW" or "CCW" mean and doesn't bother reading the label.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Apparently I'm not allowed to wear my squadron's old shirt anymore because it has a drawing of a woman wearing a tight outfit/cleavage on the back. Some dudes got stood at attention by the OG/CC or something when he saw it a few months back.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Epitome of Macho posted:

Everything described is +/- the largest margin that you can convince the generally clueless, but too proud to ask anyone that actually uses the equipment, 7-level to accept. Also, you should be limiting torque wrenches to 6% CW anyway because half the time the customer doesn't know what "CW" or "CCW" mean and doesn't bother reading the label.

Sometimes I'll limit poo poo without even calling. Frequencies over a 1GHz? They don't need it. Single Sideband Phase noise? They don't need it. Wideband on a 5700A? They sure as poo poo don't need that but god forbid you limit even one function on a piece of equipment because everything must be white labeled. The Singaporeans we support don't accept limitations, but then they tell is to NRTS it if it's bad so I'm not complaining.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

A Kpro posted:

Sometimes I'll limit poo poo without even calling. Frequencies over a 1GHz? They don't need it. Single Sideband Phase noise? They don't need it. Wideband on a 5700A? They sure as poo poo don't need that but god forbid you limit even one function on a piece of equipment because everything must be white labeled. The Singaporeans we support don't accept limitations, but then they tell is to NRTS it if it's bad so I'm not complaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here is a secret about weather personnel and you. We don't like you.

Being rolled into a job you're not qualified for, and can't get out of, will do that.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Best part of weekend watch shift: Cart/chair races
Worst part of weekend watch shift: General came in and TNT was on one of the screens. Col comes in and says we have to keep news on or nothing at all. Just in time for football. FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RescueFreak posted:

Best part of weekend watch shift: Cart/chair races
Worst part of weekend watch shift: General came in and TNT was on one of the screens. Col comes in and says we have to keep news on or nothing at all. Just in time for football. FML

I got to hang out in the AOC at Nellis for a while, and the dudes there kept college football on all but one of the mega screens.

• Locked thread