Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like the Flyers should be bottom-of-the-Metro bad this year, but I felt the same way last year and they made the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like the Flyers should be bottom-of-the-Metro bad this year, but I felt the same way last year and they made the playoffs.

How many more years can Giroux do this without Roenicking himself out of the best years of his prime?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DOOMocrat posted:

So which of Diaz/Del Zotto/McBain does Philly try to get?

Who's the worst out of that group, McBain? Probably McBain

Mind_Taker posted:

Don't worry, Stebe Mason will carry them to... something, I guess.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mind_Taker posted:

The Metro has a really hot race to the bottom, pretty much any team outside of Pittsburgh and NYR could plausibly make it into the draft lottery

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Andrew MacDonald has extensive top pairing experience and has proved he can occupy space on NHL ice for over 22 minutes a game before, surely the flyers will be fine with him assuming his natural role once again

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

How many more years can Giroux do this without Roenicking himself out of the best years of his prime?

Come on Islanders, trade! Tavares-Giroux down the middle!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Come on Islanders, trade! Tavares-Giroux down the middle!

i would become an Islanders fan

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Hell yeah Connor McDavid

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Kimmo is going to die for Homer's sins

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wish Boston had a cool bad rear end coach who made the team eat spinach wraps all the time or whatever instead of the Bill Dauterive lookin motherfucker we have now

Reminder that Eakins once took away the medias donut table and replaced it all with like bran muffins and chopped veggies and whatever. It was hilarious

Just imagine the potential a MacT/Eakins/Dellow press conference had

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Dwayne Klessel is pumping MDZ to Philly, so enjoy the draft lottery in 2015

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

fits posted:

Reminder that Eakins once took away the medias donut table and replaced it all with like bran muffins and chopped veggies and whatever. It was hilarious

Just imagine the potential a MacT/Eakins/Dellow press conference had

he didn't do it once, he did it permanently. It's now policy

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

So which of Diaz/Del Zotto/McBain does Philly try to get?

Cody Franson, come on down!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man, I want MDZ to do well. He was on the up for a while in NY, but he just sorta... lost it. You could see him making weird stretch passes seemingly thinking "C'mon, Mike, you can still do this... awwwww gently caress." I feel bad for the dude.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

Man, I want MDZ to do well. He was on the up for a while in NY, but he just sorta... lost it. You could see him making weird stretch passes seemingly thinking "C'mon, Mike, you can still do this... awwwww gently caress." I feel bad for the dude.

Did any injury news on him come out in the offseason, or was he just not all there?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rotten Cookies posted:

My dad has a Rangers MDZ jersey, I would need to steal it from him, lmao

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Letang for Giroux straight up.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Wayne Gretzky posted:

he didn't do it once, he did it permanently. It's now policy

Even better

There was also a video on the Oilers site somewhere of Eakins making the media guys attempt to do pullups too, only one of them managed more than one.

Eakins owns

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

There was also a video on the Oilers site somewhere of Eakins making the media guys attempt to do pullups too, only one of them managed more than one.

I hadn't heard of that, Eakins rules. As something of a healthy eating nut I laughed my rear end off at the panicked/pleading tweets all the media guys sent out when they found out that Eakins wasn't bluffing when he said he'd get rid of the donuts.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder how Spec likes his crow. Broiled? Braised?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jordan Leopold has the experience to help replace Kimmo. C'mon, Hexy, he only makes $2.25M this season!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mike_V posted:

Jordan Leopold has the experience to help replace Kimmo. C'mon, Hexy, he only makes $2.25M this season!

Sure, just take this Vinny off our hands

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
John Erskine would look really good in a Flyers uniform.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Spamtron7000 posted:

John Erskine would look really good in a Flyers uniform.

he's already orange

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Can someone explain how EV P/60 works?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Number of points at even strength divided by number of even strength minutes played, multiplied by 60.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You're not allowed to use stats in arguments anymore Mook.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Sportsnet took down the Spector "Dellow/EDM" hit piece. Anyone know if the text was posted somewhere else?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
"EV" means "Even Strength points".
"/" means "divided by"
"60" means "the cardinal number that is the product of six and ten"
"Hockey" means "Anaheim Ducks or New Jersey Devils"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MaoistBanker posted:

Sportsnet took down the Spector "Dellow/EDM" hit piece. Anyone know if the text was posted somewhere else?

This?

This article is loving gold.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 5, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How the gently caress do you get blood clots in your lungs? Is Kimmo roiding?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

How the gently caress do you get blood clots in your lungs? Is Kimmo roiding?

Pulmonary embolisms are normally the result of a clot elsewhere in the body breaking loose and ending up in the lungs.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Whatever your feelings on Tyler Dellow the Internet personality, they are the sidebar today, not the lead.

The lead is that a staunch Edmonton Oilers fan who made his resume with some groundbreaking advanced statistical work on his own website, then used Twitter to promote his expertise, has been hired by the Oilers to be their analytics guru.

So you once had a Twitter battle with him? Who cares?

No one criticized certain moves by Oilers management more sharply (or sarcastically) than Dellow. On Tuesday, after rumoured consultation with Dellow for months, head coach Dallas Eakins and GM Craig MacTavish have invited him into their inner circle.

From Mom’s basement to Hockey Op’s. That’s quite a leap, and it couldn’t have happened to a more notorious guy.

The fact that Dellow, a.k.a. @Mc79Hockey, has joined the growing cadre of analytics experts landing National Hockey League jobs is a serious milepost for the brotherhood. This isn’t poker player Sunny Mehta being hired as Director of Analytics by the New Jersey Devils, and it’s not the same as the Maple Leafs hiring of Sault Ste. Marie GM Kyle Dubas.

Dellow was The Voice of analytics online and has spawned protégés. There are others who do what Dellow did when it comes to championing analytics, but nobody did it like he did, slathered in smarm and condescension, with an antagonistic side dish of provocation.

He also wrote at Sportsnet.ca and for Sportsnet Magazine and made regular radio appearances across the country. His website, Mc79hockey.com, has gone dark, and it is highly likely his new job will coincide with a shift toward a public persona far lower in profile. He likely has fought his last Twitter war, at least until he finds a suitable pseudonym.

As of this writing his hiring is confirmed by Sportsnet but not yet announced by the Oilers. The name of his position is unknown, but we predict he will report to and work closely with Eakins, who has long respected Dellow’s work.

Here is what we know about the Oilers: Management, including president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, has been immersed in analytics for the past few months, a sign that the organization has concluded that it can create an advantage using this avenue. Hockey analytics are still in their infancy, and the Oilers are not alone in the belief that you can still get in on the ground floor.

Like many examples of advances stats, the Oilers have quantified what on the surface seems obvious — that substandard goaltending submarined their season last fall. But it also puts a number on how many goals must be made up for Edmonton to be a team that scores more than it allows, more often than not. And with that comes possession stats, because as Dellow and others have sought to quantify, having the puck more means you are more likely to score more.

Now we get to his personality. Full disclosure: I have had @Mc79Hockey blocked on Twitter for most of the last three years, so hostile was his approach to any conflicting view or mindset.

Just as Dellow became the Pied Piper of hockey stats geeks, so too did his aggressive behaviour become a stereotype that has hindered popular acceptance of that community. Mc79hockey believed that any dissenting views should be targeted for ridicule, and if Dellow acts the same way in his new job, he won’t last. Period.

I’ve had a few twitter conversations with the man, but Dellow found a way to make most of them personal. That is why when mainstream hockey writers like myself repeat that we don’t dislike analytics, just many of the people who ply the trade, we’re speaking of Dellow.

He’s earned that. Now, he’ll have a chance to rehab his personality, if he so chooses.

Like the scouts he’s hammered on for years, though, we suspect Dellow’s work will be difficult to assess in the short term. Nor will anyone go to an Oilers, or Leafs, or Devils game in the next while and see a visible difference in the on-ice product because of an analytics hire.

He knew everything about the game from his spot outside the circle. Now he is inside, with a chance to prove how smart he’s always said he is.

Godspeed, Tyler. This is where preparation and opportunity meet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spector is really cut up that he hasn't found a job with an NHL team yet.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

What a munch. Dellow destroys arguments with vicious precision cause he's a loving lawyer. That's what lawyers are supposed to do. He often sounds like my father-in-law; wanna guess what his profession is? I'm not suprised some bumfuck "AY BOYS LETS GO TO DA BAR" journo couldn't hack it when he tried to retort.

I would personally find it funny if on Dellow's first day he walks into a room that says "HEAD COACH" and he finds ol' Craig smiling and holding up his contract. "Hi Tyler, you're going to spend the next 5 years getting paid to sit and stare at a wall. You will have no access to Twitter, nor will you be able to publish any opinions online not sanctioned by the Edmonton Oilers.... you seem confused. Where's Dallas? It's in Texas, you dummy. Have a nice season."

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 5, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

eXXon posted:

Haha as if that poo poo isn't all archived, nice try.

robots.txt is A Thing.

As for Dellow, well, I have to say that a) if he actually WAS working on Bay Street (he never really talked about his day job and I only saw idiots on Twitter trying to use "unemployed lawyer" as a slam as if any lawyers under thirty actually have jobs) I can believe him quitting that 18/7 hellhole of a work environment to do hockey analytics for a living, and b) I would pay Actual Money to be a fly on the wall for any meeting involving him and MacTavish or Lowe.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"I can't argue with him on Twitter any more SO I'M GOING TO ACT LIKE A WHINY BABY AND PUBLICLY HUMILIATE NOT ONLY MYSELF BUT MY EMPLOYER. SO THERE"

Great article, Spector. Really great.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

What a munch. Dellow destroys arguments with vicious precision cause he's a loving lawyer. That's what lawyers are supposed to do. He often sounds like my father-in-law; wanna guess what his profession is? I'm not suprised some bumfuck "AY BOYS LETS GO TO DA BAR" journo couldn't hack it when he tried to retort.

I would personally find it funny if on Dellow's first day he walks into a room that says "HEAD COACH" and he finds ol' Craig smiling and holding up his contract. "Hi Tyler, you're going to spend the next 5 years getting paid to sit and stare at a wall. You will have no access to Twitter, nor will you be able to publish any opinions online not sanctioned by the Edmonton Oilers.... you seem confused. Where's Dallas? It's in Texas, you dummy. Have a nice season."

He's been consulting with Eakins for most of the last season

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
Holy gently caress :ohdear: Kimmo. AMac47 to the rescue!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Wayne Gretzky posted:

He's been consulting with Eakins for most of the last season

Well, that's the end of that. Mwahaha.

• Locked thread