Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
In my house. 10 years of voluntold make camping on my most hated time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Anyone have any firewood tips for state parks? I go to state park campgrounds for a week-long trip each year. Two years ago, park employees put out piles of free firewood, and everything was all good. Last year, I went to a different park where they didn't do that. I had to buy the stuff at ridiculous rates from locals. I'm talking something like $250 worth of wood for the week, two days of which we didn't use any wood at all because it was pouring.

The parks always have a rule against bringing in your own wood due to invasive species or whatever. They let you chop up wood that's already fallen, but most of that is soaked through and rotten. Plus it's a pain in the rear end with a little hatchet and I'm not sure if they let you use a chainsaw, but it seems like something they'd prohibit.

How do you guys usually handle the wood situation?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I had to buy the stuff at ridiculous rates from locals. I'm talking something like $250 worth of wood for the week, two days of which we didn't use any wood at all because it was pouring.

Lol where is this and how much wood do you use because that is what it costs for like an entire chord of firewood.

Really the three options are to collect wood yourself, get it at the location, or as you said buy from a supplier. If you're using the fire to cook you can always supplement with charcoal as well.

If collecting yourself at the park, you just have to rely on what's there. This may mean you have to use wet wood (which will still burn on a good fire) or some less than ideal stuff. If you're staying for several days, try collecting a bunch right away and stacking it to dry for future fires. Additionally, bring your own tinder and kindling bundles so you have a good base to get the wet wood to catch.

A hand saw and hatchet are usually enough for collecting/splitting. I have a sort of "camp maul" from Estwing branded as the "fireside friend" or something that is great for splitting but still compact. It's essentially a 4 lb hammer with one side of the head forged into an axe face.

Really though if you're using drop wood you just have to resign yourself to not always having that 100% ideal postcard fire.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Lol where is this and how much wood do you use because that is what it costs for like an entire chord of firewood.

Ricketts Glen State Park in NE PA. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/rickettsglen/

Tons of really spectacular waterfalls there, and aside from the firewood cost it was a great place, but we were stuck buying wood a crate at a time from the little corner store nearest the park. We went early in the year and it was chilly, so we often had fires going during the during the daytime, as well, so that added to the cost.

Thanks for the tips.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Ricketts Glen State Park in NE PA. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/rickettsglen/

Tons of really spectacular waterfalls there, and aside from the firewood cost it was a great place, but we were stuck buying wood a crate at a time from the little corner store nearest the park. We went early in the year and it was chilly, so we often had fires going during the during the daytime, as well, so that added to the cost.

Thanks for the tips.

Ah OK I'm down in Montgomery County and am semi-familiar with Ricketts Glen. Buying firewood from a local general store in small parcels will rack up the costs. By "locals" I thought you meant the little unmanned roadside firewood stands you see at the end of the occasional private driveway. Usually can get a decent amount of wood, enough for a small fire for the night, for $5-10.

Luckily NE PA is not an extra-rainy area so you should have a decent chance of finding dry wood unless you're unlucky with the weather.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've camped 10 or more times a year since I was 5 and I'm 28 now. From RV parks, to setting up primitive camp in a swamp to sleeping out in the open up in the mountains, every trip has been a blast.

Don't know why you guys are making GBS threads on "campground" style camping so much. There are many ways to camp, and no one is better than another. Primitive camping and chilling in untouched nature is great, but it's also cool to camp at an RV park on the beach and surf all day and grill on the beach at night all the while having a cooler/keg of beer and mothafucking A/C.

My girlfriend just got a kayak and I'm planning a weekend trip to shell key in ft desoto. It's primitive camping and we have to paddle all our gear over and bring back the trash. With a little luck we'll be eating fresh fish we can catch there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I've gone camping with horses. Like you bring a horse trailer that has a little living quarters up front and you can bring a couple horses. Then you just ride around in the woods.

• Locked thread