Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

just beat the last guardian.

please suffer the jank its not that bad. omg. the end. the loving end is AMAZING. the final sequence is even jankier than the rest of the game but you gotta see it.

get the game.

play it in HDR.

It's the best and most affecting ending/final section I have ever seen in a game. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason the game wasn't canceled was because they had such a clear vision and knew the finale was going to be so drat perfect, and some exec at Sony felt the same way.

Watching it on YouTube or a Let's Play absolutely will not do the game and the ending justice, especially if you have a beloved pet. You need to play The Last Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty high praise considering Ico and Shadow already had some of the best endings in games history. I really need to play that.

What game would you guys say had legitimately awesome endings? They are so few and far between.

I'd say

Ico
SOTC
Soma
The Last of Us
Inside

are the main ones that pop into my head.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TLGs ending is pretty good, but not as good as SOTC. Too bad its at the end of such a tedious game.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I recently got a PS4 with Doom but I'm getting a weird bug in which I can't hear dialogue. Has anyone else has this? Google isn't much help.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What game would you guys say had legitimately awesome endings?
All the stuff you listed +
MGS1,2,4
Bloodborne
Half-Life 2
Hitman: Blood Money

Lady Gaza posted:

I recently got a PS4 with Doom but I'm getting a weird bug in which I can't hear dialogue. Has anyone else has this? Google isn't much help.

Never heard of that but if it's any consolation, there's not much dialogue in the game. Is there an audio setting that might be set to 5.1 somewhere?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty high praise considering Ico and Shadow already had some of the best endings in games history. I really need to play that.

What game would you guys say had legitimately awesome endings? They are so few and far between.

I'd say

Ico
SOTC
Soma
The Last of Us
Inside

Red Dead Redemption had a great ending. That is all I can remember off the top of my head. Also, Halo:Reach had a surprisingly cool ending.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

veni veni veni posted:

FF15's ending was so good it retroactively made me like the nonsense plot that came before it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
One of the best videogame endings is probably Splatoon's single player

I was laughing out loud it was so good for the way it incorporated every single game mechanic and threw them back at you with constantly rising intensity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Portal 2, especially the spoiler-not-spoiler title of the related achievement ("Lunacy")

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nier has one of the best endings around.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
How did Nier end? I can't quite remember.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
That depends. There's a bunch of possible endings in Nier, including one that straight up deletes your save file.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Double Dragon Neon
Metal Gear Revengeance
Binary Domain

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Liver Disaster posted:

Nier has one of the best endings around.

You will never forget ending d

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
Shadow of the Colossus
Transistor
Braid
Mass Effect 2

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Mass Effect 3 :twisted:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hungry Computer posted:

That depends. There's a bunch of possible endings in Nier, including one that straight up deletes your save file.

that was the joke

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems unlikely to me, all the tracks in Wipeout games are licensed stuff by real dance acts, it would be bizarre for one to crop up in a Japanese beat em up.
Not unheard of though, Omega Boost's intro in the UK was by forgotten britpop band Cast.

Wipeout XL actually had a few awesome unlicensed tracks by their in-house production guy Cold Storage, but yeah, nothing on the XL sountrack matches the weirdo hypersynth music on the BAT ost.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Who cares about video game endings. It's about the journey not the destination

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ya Journeys was pretty good

Little late to Journey chat but man going into that game blind was an experience, maybe cause :catdrugs: I wanted to marry the 2nd player by the end. I get some people might feel it's a bit anticlimactic but I still recommend everyone does it at least once. I was able to find a 2nd player late on a weekday no problem

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wandle Cax posted:

I too am a fan of stories that have unsatisfactory endings

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm guessing that cat rat dog thing sacrifices itself for you or something.

I dunno, guess I'm a bit skeptical of "oh so touching" endings after everyone ran around saying Undertale was heart felt because it said genocide was bad. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I'd say

Ico
SOTC
Soma
The Last of Us
Inside

TLoU
Metal Gear Solid 3
The Walking Dead s1
FF VII
SOMA
Shadow of the Colossus / ICO
Braid
Journey
Portal

and against my better judgement, Half-Life 2 ep2 and Bioshock Infinite...even though...mumble mumble

Wandle Cax posted:

:laugh:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wandle Cax posted:

dont ever go into the mass effect thread

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

I dunno, guess I'm a bit skeptical of "oh so touching" endings after everyone ran around saying Undertale was heart felt because it said genocide was bad. :v:

I felt this way about Spec Ops The Line.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya Journeys was pretty good

Little late to Journey chat but man going into that game blind was an experience, maybe cause :catdrugs: I wanted to marry the 2nd player by the end. I get some people might feel it's a bit anticlimactic but I still recommend everyone does it at least once. I was able to find a 2nd player late on a weekday no problem

You should play The Last Guardian, but don't marry Trico.

My favorite game endings off the top of my head, in no order:

MGS 3
Chrono Trigger
The Last Guardian
Witcher 3 (Empress)
FF X
Bayonetta
999/VLR/ZTD
Steinsgate

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I too am a fan of stories that have unsatisfactory endings

Seriously though a video game story just has to provide a compelling reason to go about playing the game, i'm not playing it to see what happens at the end

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Bastion had good endings as well.

TLG is overall not as good a game as SotC, but it still hits the right notes in terms of beautiful presentation and emotional resonance.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Undertale is the most overhyped game I've ever played, so that's not terribly surprising.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Honestly, I enjoyed the ending of Titanfall 2. That's the only game in the longest I can remember that I wanted to start clapping when the credits rolled.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Journey is just extremely solid, great for going in blind and (probably most importantly) knew how "big" it was, knew how to not wear out it's welcome,and knew when to take a bow and end.

I think there's a whole lot of games out there who could pare back their focus, release as a smaller title and get some Journey like praise but lol gently caress that 100 hours of gameplay a zillion weapons open world with more space than God's rear end buy buy buy

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Witcher 3 is 100+ hours of gameplay done fantastically.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bioshock Infinite...even though...mumble mumble

Ya know. i'm going to have to agree. I really enjoyed that games story and ending and I don't get why it gets dogpiled on all of the time.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Speaking of Witcher 3, I got that game a long time ago and got so confused and frustrating trying to play it. I'd just die constantly at Level 3. Couldn't do a drat thing.

Loaded it up today and smashed through 5 missions.

Something just clicked this time around? :shrug:

I still don't understand how to do anything with the alchemy though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Ya know. i'm going to have to agree. I really enjoyed that games story and ending and I don't get why it gets dogpiled on all of the time.
I thought the ending was nothing special but I bought it hoping for a game of exploration like its predecessors (1 more than 2 I guess) and it was definitely not that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alchemy's way more simple than it seems since all the important stuff only has to be crafted once then regenerates for the rest of the game.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I'm a few pages late for projector chat, but this is the one to get currently:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/the-art-of-home-theater-projectors/epson-hc-5040ub-pc-6040ub-projectors-w4k-support-announced-ce/

I have a much older Epson 8350 that does 1080p. I think it was only $900 msrp and went on sale very often for $600. I've only had to replace the bulb once.

For a project screen I use this brand: http://www.dragonflyscreens.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey new thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804356&pagenumber=1#lastpost

• Locked thread