Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leidend posted:

Worked technically, maybe. Worked from a "keep wife happy" perspective? ha!

And remote play is a no-go at work, where I am now. Otherwise I'd have about 10 PS4 platinum trophies already.

I suspected as much (those pools look pretty drat good, I'll still be The Last Of Them when I get back), although with cramped living arrangements and only one proper TV, the Vita Remote Play is legitimately a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So Gamefly finally sent me my copy of Wolfenstein. I wasn't totally sold on it at first but it's definitely grown on me. Blaskowicz's voice seemed a little strange and batman-y at first but then I realized it's so that the extremely goofy lines are even more hilarious: "killed your robots, broke your poo poo, helicopter secured :smug:"

I'm playing on "Death Incarnate" difficulty right now and it was pissing me off at first, I was trying to play it like Serious Sam and it doesn't really work like that. It lands somewhere between games like that and your more standard cover shooters. A little weird at first but it works.

I'm beginning the concentration camp now. Looking forward to many more hours of stranglin' Nazis!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Give them an inch and they will take a mile I guess. Resogun and Outlast would have cost more than my $30 black friday sub but I guess it's the worst deal ever cause we keep getting these indies instead of two $60 game that just came out every month. "where are my 3d games PS4?!?!?"

Personally I think the offerings on PS4+ have been pretty drat good deal so far even if a few of them were sort of lame. more people complain about PS+ than anyone ever complained about XBL which cost more and offered nothing until they felt threatened by PS+ and decided to give out the bare minimum.

I don't get the complaints about getting 'Indies', despite the lower budget a lot are more creative and just plain better then the AAA games released so far. I know I've put more time an got more fun out of Don't starve or Resogun then I ever would have then Military FPS with a bald white guy 12 or 3rd person cover shooter 8.

It's great for discovering games I otherwise would never have played too. If they weren't free I'd have passed up games like Don't Starve or Stick it to the man.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

The worst part about PS+ for me was already owning Strider and Towerfall. But Towerfall is amazing and worth the $120 I spent on more DS4s.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I ordered the white ps4 bundle the day it was announced. Do you think I'll actually get one

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Picked up Ground Zeroes off PSN since it was only $30 (I was hesitant before to pay full price for a 2-hour story) and man it's hard. I don't know if I'm just not used to modern stealth games but I'm having a hard time actually doing anything because I keep getting spotted by guards I don't know exist :smith: I miss the days of MGS1 where you had a radar and poo poo. Still, it's an absolutely gorgeous game and I'll probably just motor through it, but I've discovered I'm just terrible at stealth games.

Also I'm still in awe on how well FF14 plays on a console, I don't even bother with playing it on PC anymore because I'm so used to the controls. Even healing works well.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Is there any way to outright disable the share button outside from removing the physical button? I'm not the type to be making videos or taking screenshots of my vidja games. I also find that I accidentally hit it from time to time and it's really drat annoying when the share menu comes up.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hamburlgar posted:

Is there any way to outright disable the share button outside from removing the physical button? I'm not the type to be making videos or taking screenshots of my vidja games. I also find that I accidentally hit it from time to time and it's really drat annoying when the share menu comes up.

Just change the setting so that it takes a screenshot instead of jumping into the menu, at least it won't take you out of the game. No you can't disable it as far as I can see, it was mean't to be an "always-on" thing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

robodex posted:

Picked up Ground Zeroes off PSN since it was only $30 (I was hesitant before to pay full price for a 2-hour story)

Eh? If that's the US PSN you're talking about, that IS full price.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I ordered the white ps4 bundle the day it was announced. Do you think I'll actually get one

I usually get stuff that I paid for, yeah.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

robodex posted:

Picked up Ground Zeroes off PSN since it was only $30 (I was hesitant before to pay full price for a 2-hour story) and man it's hard. I don't know if I'm just not used to modern stealth games but I'm having a hard time actually doing anything because I keep getting spotted by guards I don't know exist :smith: I miss the days of MGS1 where you had a radar and poo poo. Still, it's an absolutely gorgeous game and I'll probably just motor through it, but I've discovered I'm just terrible at stealth games.

Also I'm still in awe on how well FF14 plays on a console, I don't even bother with playing it on PC anymore because I'm so used to the controls. Even healing works well.

It's difficult to get used to, like going from MGS2 to MGS3 where you had to rely on your awareness of your surroundings rather than a radar. However, once you've tagged most of the soldiers and have a good idea of where they tend to patrol, it becomes a lot easier.

The game will take you a long time if you try to get the Platinum. I'd also suggest looking up a guide to get the XOF tags for the bonus missions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

robodex posted:

Just remember to actually be stealthy. Do more crawling or crouch walking, and survey an area before you walk into it. Snake will auto-mark targets for you if you look at them for a second or two. Also abuse the poo poo out of the binoculars, you can spot people across the map with them and they will stay on your radar forever once they're marked.

e: loving Sned! :argh:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Spalec posted:

I don't get the complaints about getting 'Indies', despite the lower budget a lot are more creative and just plain better then the AAA games released so far. I know I've put more time an got more fun out of Don't starve or Resogun then I ever would have then Military FPS with a bald white guy 12 or 3rd person cover shooter 8.

It's great for discovering games I otherwise would never have played too. If they weren't free I'd have passed up games like Don't Starve or Stick it to the man.

There are actually people who play video games that don't like indie games, believe it or not, just because they are considered indie games to begin with. I agree with you, while they might not have an AAA budget it's where the most creativity in gaming is coming from and people are missing out on a lot of great games.

I'm actually going to be more upset when they start giving us Killzone and Assassin's Creed personally.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

BreakAtmo posted:

Eh? If that's the US PSN you're talking about, that IS full price.

IIRC it was $50 or $60 for PS4 at release.

Also thanks for the tips, I'm gonna pick it up again today and try to blaze through it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

katkillad2 posted:

There are actually people who play video games that don't like indie games, believe it or not, just because they are considered indie games to begin with. I agree with you, while they might not have an AAA budget it's where the most creativity in gaming is coming from and people are missing out on a lot of great games.

I'm actually going to be more upset when they start giving us Killzone and Assassin's Creed personally.

That may be true, but these people go above and beyond the call of duty to go to every single Playstation indie trailer to go "HEH INDIES ARE poo poo". That takes a special kind of fun hater. I don't really care too much if someone doesn't like Indie games, although I'd be curious as to why, but if you got to tell the world without anyone asking you then you're an rear end in a top hat.

Anyway, are there any accesories for the controller that are like grips? No matter how I hold the controller or how long I play I tend to get extremely sweaty hands (No, I'm not overweight). And sometimes without realizing I grip the plastic part of the controller hard and hurt my wrist a bit. Something like a soft rubber for the grips of the controllers would be perfect, but I have no idea where to start. And I'd love to get thumb covers, but I really don't see how extenders would help me. I rather just have the same thumbsticks as the DS4, but bigger.

Finally, more people should join the #PS4Goons synirc channel. You can use Mibbit if you don't have a dedicated IRC client. It'll just be a browser page. Currently have a ton of games on my plate to hold me until Destiny. Replaying rear end Creed: Black Flag, Watch_Dogs, and got Bound by Flame and Last of Us Remastered to go through. I can't wait for Destiny so I have a good shoot-mans game on the PS4. I keep trying to get into BF4 but it isn't really that fun and the aiming feels really wonky.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

robodex posted:

IIRC it was $50 or $60 for PS4 at release.

Also thanks for the tips, I'm gonna pick it up again today and try to blaze through it.

Nah it was always $30. I think it was $20 for last gen. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it were $60 at release in Australia or something.

edit: actually, it may have been $40 at first. I seem to recall there being a price disparity between the retail and digital version as well

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 4, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I already got Killzone for free when they had that error with the avatar, and still haven't bothered to play it. Indie games are fine for me, mainly because I can't rent them, and they don't take as long to hit PS+. Eidos have a really fast turnaround for PS+ versions, so I'm sure Tomb Raider will be on it before the end of the year.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

I usually get stuff that I paid for, yeah.

Amazon preorder, you don't pay until it ships :c00l:
So it's still a huge mystery

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I've not seen this tip before so I will mention it, your mileage may vary:

I am not one to utilize the library often, as I don't read many books, but on Saturday I went with my girlfriend to accompany her to the used books sale. I decided to walk around as the place had changed since I was last there several years ago. It is there I noticed that they had just about every PS4 game in stock. I'm not sure if it's because PS4 isn't common yet, or because no one goes to the library for games, but about 85% of the titles were in stock. This includes brand new games like the remastered TLOU. They also had Wolfenstein, Assassins Creed, Second Son, etc.

If you're near a free library, you should check it out. You might get lucky like me and have a place 3 miles away that offers 14 day rentals, limit 10 games per person (jesus christ), all free of cost.

I don't actually have a PS4 yet. I plan to pick one up by the end of this month... I know where I will be going once I do.

Oh yeah - the library also has a special form you can fill out to request that they buy something to stock in the library, I asked an employee if they would stock games and how often a request goes through. Their answer was games are perfectly fine, and that they've fulfilled every request for the last few years. So, look into that too

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It'd be cool if they dropped Black Flag on PS+ soon. I played it on 360 but I'd probably replay it for the Sick Graphix on PS4. It was pretty drat fun.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah it was always $30. I think it was $20 for last gen. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it were $60 at release in Australia or something.

edit: actually, it may have been $40 at first. I seem to recall there being a price disparity between the retail and digital version as well

It was announced at $40 retail, $30 digital for PS4/Xbone, and $30 retail, $20 digital for PS3/360. They dropped the price of the physical copies for PS4/Xbone to $30 before release, but nothing else changed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Assassin's Creed: Unity map:

And here it is compared to an actual map of the area from the period:

Really hoping this game lives up to the hype. We'll see!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A little reluctant to believe that map. Similar claims and evidence were presented for Watch Dogs and it turned out to be totally inaccurate. UBISoft has not said that the world is to scale with the real Paris from that time period either, just that certain landmark buildings are a 1:1 scale.

The Access Animus thing seems to imply too that this is a similar virtual reality premise to Black Flag, which I am okay with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While I think tacking coop onto it is entirely unappealing and does not address any of the actual problems with Assassin's Creed games, if they confirm that there are no tailing missions then best game in the series 10/10.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I said come in! posted:

A little reluctant to believe that map. Similar claims and evidence were presented for Watch Dogs and it turned out to be totally inaccurate. UBISoft has not said that the world is to scale with the real Paris from that time period either, just that certain landmark buildings are a 1:1 scale.

The Access Animus thing seems to imply too that this is a similar virtual reality premise to Black Flag, which I am okay with.

I just hope we can stay in the animus the whole game. The Abstergo bits in Black Flag were cringe-worthy at times.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I swear I'm the only person incredibly hyped on this game. I dig everything I've seen and read about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Well that map doesn't necessarily imply that it'll be 1:1. I think you might get that idea based on the size of the Seine but who knows how big that'll actually be in game. I'm more just impressed with how similar it looks, but yeah I doubt it'll be 1:1.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm one of those people who didn't like The Last of Us much. I'm giving it a second shot with Remasterd to see if it'll change my mind. I'm expecting to be good, but still massively overrated.

I did think it was strange they added telekenetic soldiers to Remastered.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I get why (although I do not agree) folks might bitch about not getting "SIXTY DOLLAR GAMES FOR FREE" from PS+, but what I think a lot of them fail to realize is that those 60 dollar games they are so excited about are what they would have likely bought anyway. If you look at PS+ as necessary for Online Multiplayer, all the sudden these indie games and such basically become the equivalent of a well-stocked party with caterers walking around with interesting appetizers and snacks. Stuff you may not have tried, but since it was handed to you, and it's free... you're like... "HMMM! Don't mind if I do!"

And then you find out they are delicious! And you would have never tried them under other circumstances.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

PantsBandit posted:

Assassin's Creed: Unity map:

Really hoping this game lives up to the hype. We'll see!

Depends how much you enjoyed AC4, I had a lot of fun with it but that was almost entirely due to the pirate ship stuff and very little to do with the traditional AssCreed gameplay which I actually found pretty tired and boring.

It doesn't look like Unity will have ships so unless they change-up the gameplay significantly I don't think I'll bite.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just hope it looks better. I don't know what it is about Black Flag but it feels off. Like the edges of everything was outlined with stencil.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MZ posted:

Depends how much you enjoyed AC4, I had a lot of fun with it but that was almost entirely due to the pirate ship stuff and very little to do with the traditional AssCreed gameplay which I actually found pretty tired and boring.

It doesn't look like Unity will have ships so unless they change-up the gameplay significantly I don't think I'll bite.

They've shown that they've been working on the stealth (THERE'S A CROUCH BUTTON!) and claim that they've heard the complaints about tailing missions so assuming that these claims are true (lol ubisoft) then hopefully it'll be better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They just may actually do that, they mentioned that they're adding a crouch/toggle stealthiness button and finally ditching the last vestiges of the "marionette" gimmick that dates all the way back to AC1.

TaurusOxford posted:

I just hope we can stay in the animus the whole game. The Abstergo bits in Black Flag were cringe-worthy at times.

Nah, they were redeemed by all the meta and hilariously banal documents you could find on the computers.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

leidend posted:

Maybe when it gets cooler but right now I'm sweating in my place even with our weak-rear end AC. 75+% humidity makes the gold headset unbearable. I thought about turning on subtitles but it just seems so wrong in that game.

Got some more TLOU in tonight at the expense of sleep, but it's a holiday on Monday so gently caress it. Love the bow and arrow, is it possible to mainly use that or am I going to constantly run out of ammo?

Arrows are the 2nd best weapon in the game to me, second only to the flamethrower but that's only because of how ridiculously overpowered it is for the last 2 sections of the game. Always aim for the chest or head though because you usually will be able to collect the arrow back if you hit those spots, unless I've misjudged it and it's like a Resident Evil 4 thing where it's predetermined if the arrow will break or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

While I think tacking coop onto it is entirely unappealing and does not address any of the actual problems with Assassin's Creed games, if they confirm that there are no tailing missions then best game in the series 10/10.

You don't really fix "problems" in games that sell 20 million copies.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

haveblue posted:

Nah, they were redeemed by all the meta and hilariously banal documents you could find on the computers.

Oh...the thing I never bothered with cause I didn't want to risk starting up more conversations with that woman and her lovely French accent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

What I couldn't figure out is, was I supposed to think that Olivier was obnoxious as hell and no boss that anyone in their right mind would want? I mean, I did, but I think the game meant me to sympathize with him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cronox2 posted:

Arrows are the 2nd best weapon in the game to me, second only to the flamethrower but that's only because of how ridiculously overpowered it is for the last 2 sections of the game. Always aim for the chest or head though because you usually will be able to collect the arrow back if you hit those spots, unless I've misjudged it and it's like a Resident Evil 4 thing where it's predetermined if the arrow will break or not.

Hunting rifle is the best weapon in the game, barring the bow for stealth.

Aphrodite posted:

You don't really fix "problems" in games that sell 20 million copies.

If every single person that played Black Flag didn't rate every tailing mission a one I would be surprised. You'd hope that was the whole point of that, letting us tell them what sucks so they can fix it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh...the thing I never bothered with cause I didn't want to risk starting up more conversations with that woman and her lovely French accent.

That was a real accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope Tomb Raider is next in line for getting a crazy sale like Injustice and Lego Marvel got.

• Locked thread