Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

pookel posted:

You'll never convince me the guys from Alive didn't have the right perspective on how to handle winter starvation scenarios.

The Piers Paul Read book about the Andes crash is a really great read. A plays up the Catholic aspect but I think that was what the survivors wanted, especially in the early years. They were ashamed of eating human flesh and embarrassed about being asked about it. The Christian aspect (flesh = eucharist) was a comforting slant on what they had done. I don't know how many of them were believing Catholics (though they went to a Catholic school) but the Catholic perspective of the book - the first one - was sympathetic and likely to have been well received in S. America.

pookel posted:

I think the thing about Cherry-Garrard that makes him a great read, but not a 100% accurate source, is that you can tell how deeply he admired Scott and cared about his fellow expedition members. He doesn't want to speak ill of the dead, so he glosses over anything that makes them look bad. But he extends the same kindness to everyone, not just Scott - iirc, he was always respectful in writing about Amundsen's expedition as well.

CG also campaigned against fox hunting with horse and hound, so I think he was very sensitive to the suffering of others. Readers really do warm to CG even if they are critical of the Scott expedition.

E: Has anyone read The Lost Men - about the Ross Sea party on Shackleton's 2nd expedition? It looks good but I haven't read it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Men-H...HTN4N8EVC5YRDFM

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Piers Paul Read book about the Andes crash is a really great read. A plays up the Catholic aspect but I think that was what the survivors wanted, especially in the early years. They were ashamed of eating human flesh and embarrassed about being asked about it. The Christian aspect (flesh = eucharist) was a comforting slant on what they had done. I don't know how many of them were believing Catholics (though they went to a Catholic school) but the Catholic perspective of the book - the first one - was sympathetic and likely to have been well received in S. America.
Yeah, that's my source on the incident too (I never did see the movie). IIRC, once they got back to civilization, Catholic officials told them they didn't quite approve of the eucharist comparison, but agreed that there was no sin in eating the dead, since their souls had left and the bodies were merely vessels.

The Lost Men is sitting on my Kindle, but I haven't gotten into it. There's three feet of snow in my yard right now and predicted highs are below 0F (so -20C or so), and somehow polar survival stuff isn't super appealing right now.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

A good documentary on avalanches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKctL_q2oSY

• Locked thread