Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

This thread has provided me with at least a quarter of my 2015 reading list. I never knew it could be so fascinating reading about men of questionable sanity more or less literally freezing their balls off while exploring the most hostile continents and conditions on Earth.

One of the books I recently finished was In The Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides. I thought it was an enjoyable read but especially in the beginning it suffered from what I felt to be unnecessary tangents; there's a lot of information on characters that then barely figure in the narrative. I did like that Sides elaborated on the (lack of) scientific understanding of the North Pole at that time and once the USS Jeannette is sunk and the party makes their way across the ice and later the Lena Delta the book really gets going.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for reading about the Greely expedition? Because that really sounds like something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread