Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

We, The Drowned by Danish author Carsten Jensen belongs here I think. The book is not explicitly about the Arctic - it's a novelized history of a Danish sea-faring town over three generations (1848-1945) and the story runs all over the world - but many parts of it take place in Arctic settings and there are plenty of creepy passages involving boats stranded in ice and whatnot. Also, the title is very literal, while the book focuses on specific characters throughout, it is narrated by the collective body of people from the village who have perished by drowning over the years. It's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hemp Knight posted:

I'm not sure about the supernatural element. A story about 18th century explorers dying from extreme cold, hunger, lead poisoning, scurvy, and exhaustion is compelling enough that it doesn't need a giant polar bear god killing them one by one, although the backstory of it being an Inuit myth fits the story at least.

How is that supernatural? I hate scare you but polar bears really exist, they are quite large, and they will kill you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

You know as soon as he makes a big thing about the girl they find being a ~virgin~ that the protagonist's going to end up banging her. God forbid he boldly go where some manky old shaman's been before, eh?

He was even creepier with this kind of poo poo in the Endymion books. That and his weird future Islamofascist "short story" warning thing pretty much put me off him for good.

• Locked thread