Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Neat thread, ever since I read about the Franklin Expedition as a child I've been fascinated by everything pertaining to the Arctic.

My recommendation is Alone by Richard Byrd:

quote:

When Admiral Richard E. Byrd set out on his second Antarctic expedition in 1934, he was already an international hero for having piloted the first flights over the North and South Poles. His plan for this latest adventure was to spend six months alone near the bottom of the world, gathering weather data and indulging his desire "to taste peace and quiet long enough to know how good they really are." But early on things went terribly wrong. Isolated in the pervasive polar night with no hope of release until spring, Byrd began suffering inexplicable symptoms of mental and physical illness.

I also recommend The Terrors of Ice and Darkness by Christoph Ransmayr which is not only a fascinating description of the Austro-Hungarian North Pole Expedition (1872 - 1874) but also just a great book (though I can't vouch for the English translation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread