Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Update on ARG

The Letters 3 and 4 were rather interesting, but didn't link to anything concrete. The letter 5, however, points to two youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRjZkjq560

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_ykvAcYdM

Unfortunately, they don't have subtitles, but the first video is the guy talking about a sudden outbreak of a strange infection, while the second one talks about the fact that it is some sort of an airborne disease that is very virulent and advises everyone to stay isolated and indoors.

By the way, if you have any questions you can try mailing Voronica - she will, very likely, answer you. I've had a couple back-and-forths already - they were curious, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

Also, when you end up in the cell, the game takes away all you weapons and ammo and never gives them back. Yay...

That part of it makes sense though. Considering how valuable both of those are in the town it makes sense for the cops to pocket them. The medicine and organs on the other hand...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. I suppose a clever player will wait to cash in those kids' quests until after he gets arrested?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Five - Part 1

Artemiy came to many hours later, at 2 P.M, odd, quiet whispers having woken him up. It was, already, the fifth day. 2 PM, to be precise.

The clouds continued to assail him, and he must've blacked out once more, because the next thing he recalled was him standing in an open cell with the corpses of two patrolmen in front of him.

His vision was extremely blurred, and he was running a fever – both likely to be results of the infection. Artemiy staggered out of his cell, in search of exit.

Did he kill these two? That was, apparently, the case, since the revolver now had only one bullet in the cylinder, while Artemiy found it with three bullets in it. Still, he did not recall killing these two, and that disturbed him.

“What's one more dip?” thought Artemiy as he covered his lower face with his elbow and waded in. Curiously enough, it did noticeably worsen his condition and made him hear a strange sort of whisper once more. The exit, however, was in sight and soon enough he was out.

He was still near the factories – good. The first stop would be dropping by his hideout and seeing what he can do stem the tide of infection.

The small amount of “Dead Broths” that he made was there, and he was planning to use them – having the knowledge of their effect first-hand would be useful. In fact, getting infected could prove to be a blessing in disguise and allow him to combat the disease more effectively.

Artemiy reached into the big wooden chest where he kept his materials and, sure enough, there they were. He took one of the bottles and drank the strange bouillon in one gulp. It was, single-handedly, the most disgusting thing he ever imbibed in his life. It didn't make him feel better, too – in fact, it made him feel much worse. Artemiy collapsed onto his bed with the intention of sleeping through whatever was left of this day.

He dropped his pack on the ground and was about to lay down when he noticed a number of letters fall out of it as it hit the ground. With a groan, he reached down and began going through them.

Isidore Burakh's Diary: Excerpt on “Dead Broths”

The substance that we call “Dead Broth” acts as a primitive antibiotic. After imbibing the “Dead Broth”, the blood of the imbiber is enriched and starts fighting back against the disease. Unfortunately, this substance is far from an actual panacea. Only the luckiest of coincidences allow “Dead Broth” to completely defeat the infection (Me, Rubin).

The dead tissue was combined with mixtures “Amber”, “Malachite” and “Basalt”.

“Basalt”: Brown Tvyr + Black Tvyr + Savyur. Immunity 80 / Harm 15.

“Malachite”: Savyur (3) + Brown Tvyr. Immunity 100/ Harm 15.

The infection is concentrated in circulatory organs. Liver – unpredictable results. Blood – the cleanest of materials. Rubin proposed Arkh. - deemed unsuitable.

19 - IX Blood of Bud. - enriched, begins to consume the infection, then – nothing?

27 – IX Blood II – being enriched, but too slowly.

2X– Anml. Blood – something else! Blocks spread? Does not consume the disease.

---
Summary

An environment with the strongest concentration of microbes is required. Try more! Treatment of organs, stricken with infection, by the mixtures from the “Thick Group” may, in the end, provide one with an antiserum broth. It might heal one, who may be in the latest stages of the Sand Fever.

My students already call it a Panacea. Let us sing preliminary praises to the one who will manage to create it.

It was quite strange that a page from his diary found its way to him even if he didn't take the time to study his father's notes the previous day. It must've been fated for him to find that page, regardless of his circumstances. He picked up the next letter.

On infected Adherents

With this note, you will be officially informed about the following sanitary measures.

Considering the fact that certain denizens of the town (the Adherents) that are playing a special part in the town's events are constantly visited by the people of various callings and occupations, (your two colleagues included), and are always trying, with their actions, to fill the void left by your and your colleagues' forced or absentminded inaction, the executive of committee of the Executors have made the following decisions:

1. If the Adherent gets sick, the door to his abode will be guarded by an Executor.

2. While the Adherent is conscious, the Executor is responsible for passing mail, food and medicine to the sick one.

3. In exceptional cases, one-time visitations of the diseased will be allowed. In order to bring the sick one into a state, suitable for communications, the Executor will accept – from the visitor – strong antibiotic for use by the infected.

4. Medicine that would cure the sick one of their infection is accepted by the Executor in the same manner.

e.c. of Executors.

A detailed list of minutia that Artemiy hoped he wouldn't have to deal with – if his actions are swift, then none of his adherents will ever be endangered.

The next letter was obviously from Dankovsky.

Results of the analysis of the mysterious blood

Whoever the blood, stolen by Rubin, belonged to, the result is looking good. The new vaccine is working better than yesterday's. It does provide only temporary protection, even if it lasts longer. If you're planning on having a prolonged exposure to the disease, then use the blue vaccine.

Tests have shown that Rubin's methods – and, by the same virtue, your Father's methods – are highly effective. I'm full of enthusiasm and, thus, am confident in your coming success.

D. D.

This blue vaccine that Dankovsky spoke of would've been highly useful last night, but, alas, one shouldn't cry over spiled milk. This covered all the letters from last night, but he had two new ones.

Bachelor's Invitation. Live environment (Important!)

I've found it. I believe that a live environment, with the antibodies that you so sorely require, may exist. It is a terrible decision, but you're already used to those – it takes after your family's tradition, in a manner of speaking. Come, we'll have a talk about it.

I beg of you – do not dally, put all other matters aside! The state of my affairs is worsening, there is very little time left.

D. D.

The matter seemed urgent, and Artemiy would go to him immediately, but not before finishing the last letter, which must have been fairly important as well.

Rat Races

We hereby announce that anyone who catches a rat (those of a special sort of liveliness are especially prized) can use one to his profit at this address – Factory warehouse Number 2. Confidentiality is guaranteed.

This clearly was some sort of a dumb joke that Artemiy wanted no part in. Besides, he didn't have time to gamble anyway.

With the world not letting him rest, Artemiy headed to Dankovsky's place of residence, though not before making a small stop.

Dropping by Notkin's place to get the map of the infection was getting more and more routine.

Everyone at the Warehouse was quite busy and didn't have much to say yet again – Notkin included. He did, however, hike the price of the map up to 1000 coins. Cursing, Artemiy headed out and walked in the direction of Stone Yard.

The disease continued to ravage the Knots, taking over the “Heart”, “Spine” and “Rib”. The “Folds” and the “Womb” were just shaking off the infection, too.

The trek was harder on Artemiy than in the previous days, due to the infection. Luckily for him the fever was going down – a result of the Dead Broth finally working, perhaps?

“The Folds” were shaking off the effects of the infection, inviting the Marauders in, just like the “Curriers” did the day before.

Artemiy was about to enter Eva Yan's residence when he received yet another letter. The postman was clearly working very hard that day.

Vlad Jr.'s Invitation
I have a matter to discuss with you – an urgent one. It is about my well.

Vlad Olgimsky Jr.

Short and to the point, unlike many other letters that Artemiy received today. Artemiy proceeded inside.

You were quite lucky to escape your prison. Lucky indeed, but for how long?

I wonder who could've wanted me behind bars so badly...

It was sarcasm - Artemiy knew perfectly well that it was Saburov's doing, but it was lost on Dankovsky.

All these sorts of initiatives come from the commandant. I will try to use whatever influence I might have on Alexander to shield you from further pursuit, but I can't promise nothing.

No worries, I'll be grateful even without any guarantees.

I was looking for you...

You were? Why?

We need the diseased tissue with a high concentration of infection. It would be best, if this tissue would come from a heart. A live heart, at that. The time from extraction to examination must not exceed half an hour. The stage of the infection must be very early – the earlier, the better.

Heart? Why the heart, exactly?

Outside of its environment, the microbe weakens or outright dies very quickly. We need a sample of bacteria in its most active stages. Rubin's experiments with... well, never you mind that. What you need to know is that the heart is the environment, where the bacteria spreads exceedingly fast and remains active for a very long time.

I see... Of what interest would the heart be to me, though?

I need a sample of infection, and you need a sample of antibodies. I believe that both of those things exist in the blood of a person, who is not yet consumed by the disease – not yet consumed, because the antibodies would still hold the sickness at bay.

Curious – do you believe that human bodies can fight the Sand Fever, oinon?

Not usually, no, but there is a rumour that some of the steppe folk are not dying from the illness - butchers, the dancers, those bull herders, whatever their damned name is... It doesn't mean that they aren't sick – it simply means that, for whatever reason, the disease does not progress nearly as fast in them. I'm sure that there is something in their blood that keeps it at bay.

I see what you're driving at here... Butchers, brides and odonkhe... I have to wonder why, though...

Indeed, there is clearly a pattern here. It's a shame that most of them are locked up in the Apiary now. I wonder, if all the thousands that are locked in there are healthy... Would you... no, nevermind – I'll be the one to check on that.

You won't find any butchers right now – everyone who broke the blockade has ran away.

No... I've heard that not everyone made it out. I know of one rather poisonous personage, who is working on concealing these escapees. Her name is Ospina. You can also find the Steppe dancers at the pub, but it is Andrey Stamatin's domain – I doubt that he would let you open them up right then and there... Maybe, you'll be able to spot one of the brides outside?

This wasn't a cheerful task – Artemiy was tasked with protecting people and now he would be butchering them for a cure. Still, there didn't seem to be any other way to advance the fight with the disease.

Very well... I'll try and find someone suitable...

The Quivering Heart

Bachelor has divined that the only place where we can obtain the proper samples of the Sand Fever is a living, human heart. Something in the Steppe Folk's blood keeps the spreading of the disease at bay – something that may be precisely the thing to help create the panacea. Would Ospina give up one of her refugees for that? Would Andrey give up one of his dancers for that?

Before Artemiy would get on this task, he would visit Vlad Jr. and see what sort of business he had to discuss with him.

The source of the strange orange hue that overtook the districts that have thrown off the disease, was still unknown to Artemiy. It did, however, feel suffocating – like a strange sort of vacuum, born out of an absence of something essential.

Slowly but surely, the trek was becoming easier for Artemiy. Perhaps, this infection wouldn't be too big a deal for him after all.

Vlad Jr.'s little hideout still stood where it previously was, hiding from the town in the shadow of the station.

Do you see? The work has stopped at the most inopportune of moments...

Vlad Jr. gestured with a sad sigh to the well.

What happened?

The ground collapsed under the workers. When they ventured out into the opening, they found a manhole, of sorts. The lower surface of this manhole looks to be of the same sort of toughened crust the we've encountered every time we tried to dig a well.

Every time? Interesting – I didn't know that there were many attempts at this...

Oh, indeed – there were. We've tried many time to dig a well – each time unsuccessfully. Didn't get a drop from the Earth. Back then, everyone thought that there is some sort of plate underneath the town – out of caked sand or, even, basalt. The folk do come up with all sorts of stuff.. I have another theory, though...

So - what is down there, exactly?

An entire cavern. Those slackers were telling me that they saw some sort of light down there, and heard some moans and low-pitched singing. All hogwash, of course. They're very superstitious, these workers... Now, they refuse to go down there - for all the money in the world, too. There isn't a brave soul between all of them – it's a “sacrilege” for them, once more.

A sacrilege? Why?

Why? For the same reasons folk are forbidden from opening up the dead bodies, of course... This time, they say that we have, unlawfully and crudely, opened up the body of the Earth. Their sudden discovery reminded them that Mother Bodkho is a living being just like any other... Do you, too, happen to believe that the cavern is a part of its digestive tract?

Of course not – perish the thought! It's obviously a part of its circulatory system!

The folk in this town weren't good with sarcasm – or, perhaps, Artemiy just wasn't that good at it.

If you would go down there and find out precisely what sort of cavity it is, I would be deeply indebted to you.

How much are you willing to pay for such an expedition?

Seven thousand. That is all that I can put towards it today... Also, two recipes – I've bought them, when the Worms were killing their traitors.

That seems appropriate – you've got a deal.

Vlad gave him some lantern oil and set him on his merry way down the well.

The Well

Vlad Jr. has cut open the Earth's hide. I don't imagine that he expected to find life inside that opening – otherwise, he wouldn't have been so surprised to hear talk of moans coming from inside that cut. He is offering a good reward for a thorough examination of the exposed innards.

The walls were solid to the touch, even if they looked like spongy flesh. Even with that in mind, the visage was still quite unnerving.

Further into the tunnel, Artemiy felt a gust of wind sweep past him. What followed on the heels of that wind was a chant – loud and booming, at first, but quiet afterwards. The chanting voice, without any question, belonged to Artemiy's father, Isidore.

Track 11 – Isidore's Voice

The language that Isidore's voice spoke wasn't a language that Artemiy knew, but was, rather one that Artemiy knew of. It was the language of the Order, the Steppe folk, to whom the Burakhs have always been beholden.

The chorus was vacillating in volume – at times loud and booming and whispering a second later. Quite obviously, the place made for an unnerving journey, causing Artemiy to be relieved when he spotted a brightly lit opening at the end of one tunnels.

The opening, however, contained a child-sized rat in a suit that was brandishing a cigarette in a mouthpiece .

Aren't you a Burakh? Indeed... Indeed, you are one. What did you expect?

Hold on a moment! What sort of a creature are you?

Me? A prophet. Yes... I am a prophet.

A prophet? Prophesy my future, then.

Oh, it's as simple as a shrug. It is rather unhappy, though. Are you sure you want to know?

I'm sure.

You will be loved. You will spill rivers of blood. You will think long and hard about what sacrifice to make. You will, inevitably, make a mistake. You will want to sever yourself from Bachelor's path and, thus, will make a miscalculation. Then, you will disappear. That is all. As I said – simple.

Not very long, I see. What are you doing here, anyway?

Don't you hear your Father?

I do, but I don't believe it - it must be some sort of trick.

Hm... You didn't listen hard enough, it seems. Listen some more, then!

Isidore's voice grew louder – perhaps, even angrier and more scornful. It seemed to coalesce around Artemiy, pushing on him with increasing force.

What do you want? Why are you desecrating the memory of the dead?

Desecrating? Who is the one doing the desecrating here? Look me in the eyes!

The meek rat's voice thundered across the tunnels – surely, even Vlad Jr. heard it on his end. The pressure was becoming too much. Artemiy was suffocating.

I can't breathe...

Listen to how your father is moaning! Don't you want to know the identity of the one, who deprived him of his life? Listen closely! Isn't that his voice?

Artemiy tried to answer, but he could not. He had no breath left in his lungs – if he didn't leave right now, he would surely die right then and there. Luckily for him, there was a manhole not too far from the Rat's podium. Artemiy stumbled towards it and, with whatever little strength he had left, brought himself up the ladder and through the manhole to the surface.

Unfortunately for Artemiy, he ended up getting out near the theater, in the “Heart” district. Him being already infected did, however, come as a mixed blessing as greedily breathing in a lungful of greenish, miasmatic air could not have been healthy.

The Well

Strange beings inhabit the womb of Bodkho. What was this creature? A spirit? A vision, born by my inflamed mind? Something born of a swarm of rats, the will of the many given a voice of one? They say that when rats form a large swarm, they gain the ability to implant all sorts of wild images into people's minds... Whatever it was, it's time to return to Vlad Jr.

After regaining composure, Artemiy wasn't going to tarry here any longer and headed in the direction of the Raw Structures, to meet with Ospina.

Artemiy managed to get out of the infected district without any trouble – indeed, the guards didn't seem to stop him from leaving. Perhaps, the Dead Broth stemmed the tide of the infection to the point, where it was no longer obvious that Artemiy was sick? The Bachelor was the only one who noticed that he was ill, so far...

The “Womb” was also quiet. Artemiy didn't encounter anything out of order, except for a bandit prowling an alleyway in the distance.

Unlike in the previous days, Artemiy knew his way around the Raw Structures' winding alleys and paths. Soon enough, he was at his destination.

Quite cheery, as always.

The Order is ready to follow your lines, elder Burakh.

Is that how it is, sister?

I don't use words lightly.

My lines have put me on a bloody path...

Ah... I see – you're looking for your sacrifice? I know. How can I help?

I need a butcher.

It's strange to hear you say that. Do you really think that your father thought about such a minuscule creature? You aren't looking for your Sacrifice in the right place. A butcher is a simple human. Why do you need humans?

They were clearly talking past each other – not the most useful mode of communication.

I need him for a... different reason.

Ah... Will you tell me?

You know that I'm creating a panacea... I need the tissue of one of the Children of Bodkho.

What a troublesome idea! It's not my place to judge the elder lineages, but you are a special case. You haven't grown up here, you are a newcomer. I'm afraid that you've fallen under Bachelor's influence - a sharptoothed scoundrel, who will bury us all deep in the Earth. I won't be a helper to him!

Artemiy was taken aback by the usually meek Ospina's sudden defiance. He decided to push back harder.

Do not judge my actions, woman! I only follow my father's heritage in this matter!

If that is the case, then you'd be better off opening up one of the worms, or the bride dancers... Did you try to get into the Apiary?

No, and I don't even want to try. Dying would be too easy an exit right now.

Vlad Sr.'s blockade was, indeed, something that Artemiy could not brave through – especially in his current, worsening state.

Very well... You are correct – it's not my place to judge. Do you want me to tell you where the butchers are hiding out?

I do.

There aren't any escapees left in the city. This morning, they were all led out. I do know, however, that they are preparing to make a sacrifice and headed out to the gatherers with this goal in mind. Stupid animals! Do they think that they can guess the lines for performing such an act? I don't believe they can...

Do you know which gatherer they were going to?

I don't. They aren't looking for the gatherers, you know, but for a Herb Bride. Who is she with right now is something I don't particularly care about, although it might be the one near the Stone Yard. I'd try there...

I see, I will look there. Thanks, Ospina.

The Quivering Heart

The escaped butchers have almost left the city. Before they leave completely, they are planning to visit a Herb Bride, a cohabitant of one of the Worms, the gatherers of Tvyr. There is a chance that I might still catch them before they leave.

Artemiy still had to visit Andrey Stamatin's pub and see what leads he could scrounge up there. It was fairly close, too, which made it a perfect next destination. Still, he started to feel a bit too ill to go on. He needed a moment's rest, and Ospina was happy to provide him with a cot to rest on. It wasn't going to take long - just enough to keep Artemiy going until the end of the day.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 24, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have to imagine that bit inside the tunnel had to be pretty creepy to playthrough.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just a little translation tip, the "drum" of a revolver is properly called the cylinder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chitoryu12 posted:

Just a little translation tip, the "drum" of a revolver is properly called the cylinder.

As another one, for lines like "It was quite strange, that a page from his diary found its way to him even if he didn't take the time to study his father's notes the previous day.", there's usually no need for a comma before the word "that".

About the maps, has the 'other' one started updating yet?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So, uh, dapper talking rats, huh.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Glazius posted:

Heh. I suppose a clever player will wait to cash in those kids' quests until after he gets arrested?

Unfortunately, all day's quests expire at the end of the day. What a clever player would do is stash his weapons before going to Rubin.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've looked around, and the revolver drum seemed like a perfectly apropriate alternative, no?

RBA Starblade posted:

As another one, for lines like "It was quite strange, that a page from his diary found its way to him even if he didn't take the time to study his father's notes the previous day.", there's usually no need for a comma before the word "that".

About the maps, has the 'other' one started updating yet?
This, on the other hand, I know to be a problem - I've been super overzealous with commas just to be on the safer side, I think. I'll try to scale back on those. Also, nope - I wouldn't dare to leave out something like that.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have to imagine that bit inside the tunnel had to be pretty creepy to playthrough.

We'll be having more fun in that tunnel soon enough. There is very much a reason that woodenchicken said "gently caress those tunnels.", in his LP.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I've looked around, and the revolver drum seemed like a perfectly apropriate alternative, no?

I've been in the English-speaking firearms community for many years and I've never once seen it called a "drum" except as a translation error from other languages. "Drum" generally is used to refer to large circular detachable magazines, like the 50 round drum for a Thompson submachine gun or the 75-round drums for the Kalashnikov.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been in the English-speaking firearms community for many years and I've never once seen it called a "drum" except as a translation error from other languages. "Drum" generally is used to refer to large circular detachable magazines, like the 50 round drum for a Thompson submachine gun or the 75-round drums for the Kalashnikov.

Weird. Google has been sort of telling me that it's an acceptable translation - I'll change it for clarity, thanks.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Update on the ARG

The latest letter, after extensive googling, would take you to this Facebook group. There is a lot of curious stuff in there, have a read - only if you've been following the ARG up to this point, though - it won't do much for you without that.

Ratoslov posted:

So, uh, dapper talking rats, huh.

I like it - if you don't know about it, it comes entirely out of the left field. Another cool thing is that the journal entry right after you meet it makes a pretty heavy reference to Many-as-One from Planescape: Torment. At least, the Russian version does - I've tried to sort of transfer it into my translation, but I doubt I did it very well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HellishWhiskers posted:

Weird. Google has been sort of telling me that it's an acceptable translation - I'll change it for clarity, thanks.

I think it's just a quirk of the Russian language using the same word for "drum" to refer to a revolver's cylinder, kinda like the "hunting rifle" shotgun.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's just a quirk of the Russian language using the same word for "drum" to refer to a revolver's cylinder, kinda like the "hunting rifle" shotgun.

It is, yeah - the word is the same for musical drums as it is for the cylinder. The weird part is that it looked, for a while, like the same was true in English and google didn't tell me otherwise. If you google "Revolver Drum", the first thing that comes up is a picture of a revolver cylinder.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HellishWhiskers posted:

It is, yeah - the word is the same for musical drums as it is for the cylinder. The weird part is that it looked, for a while, that the same was true in English and google didn't tell me otherwise. If you google "Revolver Drum", the first thing that comes up is a picture of a revolver cylinder.

Looking at the GIS results, it looks like that happens because all the stock images using it put "drum" as a tag as well as a bunch of other stuff; the first result also includes "38", "357", "steel", "western", and "guard". One guy who calls it a "drum" on the Ruger forum is Spanish and his posts seem like a somewhat rough translation into English.

Mooncow
Mar 17, 2009

"This is gonna work!"

HellishWhiskers posted:

It is, yeah - the word is the same for musical drums as it is for the cylinder. The weird part is that it looked, for a while, like the same was true in English and google didn't tell me otherwise. If you google "Revolver Drum", the first thing that comes up is a picture of a revolver cylinder.

Its not wrong just RARELY used in that manner. Cylinder is the term most people use and considered most acceptable.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Impostress or Bachelor entered these tunnels? Don't remember that.

Although for large parts of the LPs I was ill, which I thought only fitting, so I seem to remember it worse and worse.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Impostress or Bachelor entered these tunnels? Don't remember that.

Although for large parts of the LPs I was ill, which I thought only fitting, so I seem to remember it worse and worse.

I think Klara has to deal with the Rat Prophet at some point and it involves going down there, maybe? I remember him showing the end chamber but not the tunnels themselves and saying something bad about them - rightfully so.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's Many-As-One as much as it is just the idea of a rat king.

This is interesting, though -- Burakh is trying to science things, the rat king says that abandoning Dankovsky won't end well, but Ospina just flips out about it.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Glazius posted:

I don't think it's Many-As-One as much as it is just the idea of a rat king.

This is interesting, though -- Burakh is trying to science things, the rat king says that abandoning Dankovsky won't end well, but Ospina just flips out about it.
I think there was something in the Russian text for that journal entry that made me think specifically about it, but I don't remember it off the top of my head and you're probably right.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

I think Klara has to deal with the Rat Prophet at some point and it involves going down there, maybe? I remember him showing the end chamber but not the tunnels themselves and saying something bad about them - rightfully so.
Yea, like a return to a dream I remembered the Rat Prophet the moment I saw him again, but not the tunnels. Can we get a video of them later maybe? The elder soundclip makes it sound very oppressive.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Yea, like a return to a dream I remembered the Rat Prophet the moment I saw him again, but not the tunnels. Can we get a video of them later maybe? The elder soundclip makes it sound very oppressive.

I could go down there and record it, sure, but it's honestly not that riveting. The ambiance is cool, but it's still a maze that isn't particularly hard and takes about two minutes to get through. The best thing about it really is the audio.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This LP is good but it has too many screenshots, it makes my computer run slow. Could you take out all the screenshots and just talk over a video of the game with some friends? Thanks :)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alikchi posted:

This LP is good but it has too many screenshots, it makes my computer run slow. Could you take out all the screenshots and just talk over a video of the game with some friends? Thanks :)
They can't. HellishWhiskers is translating the game because the game's English translation is poo poo so it being a video LP wouldn't work. Same reason why the Klara playthrough was screenshot too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Alikchi posted:

Also, I think a good gimmick would be to drink every time your character does, whether tvyr mix, water or whatever. And by drink I mean take a shot of vodka of course. Tia~

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Also, I think a good gimmick would be to drink every time your character does, whether tvyr mix, water or whatever. And by drink I mean take a shot of vodka of course. Tia~

I'll only do that if I play Dankovsky or Klara, because if I try to do that while playing Haruspex I'll be completely hammered in seconds and it'll be nothing but typos and cursing in cyrillic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

I'll only do that if I play Dankovsky or Klara, because if I try to do that while playing Haruspex I'll be completely hammered in seconds and it'll be nothing but typos and cursing in cyrillic.
That is exactly what is being requested actually, especially if you can add in some long tangents completely unrelated to what is going on, ask for donations for more vodka and also have your friends make nonsensical jokes that would take a sober man 5 minutes to explain but in your inebriated condition take up half the current and next update, inbetween the former thangs.

Edit: also put in your own music, maybe some gopnik tunes to fit the ambiance.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 28, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

That is exactly what is being requested actually, especially if you can add in some long tangents completely unrelated to what is going on, ask for donations for more vodka and also have your friends make nonsensical jokes that would take a sober man 5 minutes to explain but in your inebriated condition take up half the current and next update, inbetween the former thangs.

Edit: also put in your own music, maybe some gopnik tunes to fit the ambiance.

I'll do it, and I'll throw in doing it while squatting for free.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

HellishWhiskers posted:

Something something squat toilets my posts

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Just caught up on this LP - great job so far! I'm amazed at how much more sense the story makes with a good translation. I only played as the Bachelor so this is mostly new to me, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Edit: Does playing as the Haruspex make getting recovery items easier or harder than for the Bachelor? You seem to be doing a lot better for weaponry than I did, but my atrociously translated walkthrough didn't really help me there.

Also it hasn't really come across here, but the time constraints in this game are genuinely nerve wracking. If you don't know exactly where you're meant to be going you can easily fall behind on quests and things go downhill rapidly from there.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 28, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Five - Part 2

It was clear during his stay that Ospina's house was, indeed, used by the butchers as a sort of a boarding house in the previous days. Curiously enough, it also seemed that her patronage of the escaped butchers was common knowledge. Why did nobody raid this place? Both Olgimsky and Saburov would be happy to apprehend the escapees, yet nobody did anything but grumble and complain... It must have been Ospina's reputation in the town.

Artemiy didn't rest very well, but it was a break for him all the same. Talking with Andrey Stamatin wasn't the cheeriest of prospects, but there wasn't much to be done about. Artemiy left Ospina's house and began the trek.

The trek started easily enough, but, quite soon, Artemiy felt his head spinning.

The episode of lightheadedness lasted for about twenty seconds, but, for Artemiy, it involved a hard struggle to keep consciousness. A sign of the spread of the infection, considering that it was accompanied by a rather odd whispering – a woman's? Artemiy could not tell precisely.

The rest of the trek wasn't nearly as eventful as that – soon enough, he was at his destination.

He was in luck – one of the dancers was not busy and he could speak with her without Stamatin's involvement.

Do you need anything special, young Burakh? I must obey you – I am Bodkho's daughter. The locals call me Vera, though...

Why must you obey me, exactly?

Don't you see? I'm a dancer. It's a special profession around these parts. An ancient one. We have to follow the rites and the Order – even moreso, than the butchers.

I didn't think that your profession was connected to our religion.

You must be joking, Burakh. A Dancer knows the lines. Only a Dancer knows the ancient art of bending and extending the lines. We don't dance now, due to mourning... When better times come, however, you will see that we can extend a body's lines very far...

I hope that the better times come to us very soon... I wanted to ask you – have any dancers died since the start of the epidemic?

Only one – the one who was torn apart by a crowd at the Bone Pillar four days ago. Why are you asking me? Why are you looking at me like that?

No reason. Why did that girl get torn apart?

She came out of the infected house – the one that visited by the partrolmen afterwards. They say that your father Isidore worked in that house. They asked her about what she was doing there. She answered that she had business with your father. People thought that she was going to die very soon, but she didn't...

I would've thought that they'd be glad about that...

They weren't – that is when they decided that she was to blame for everything. They said that she was a carrier. That was when the rumour about Shabnak-Adyr's arrival began to spread. They broke her lines apart and burned her at the Bone Pillar. None of it was true, though – even if she was sick, she couldn't have infected anyone.

Why?

Don't you know about the Brides? The ones, betrothed to the Earth? The ones, who call out the Tvyr?

Yes. I'd like to say that I do.

They aren't mistresses, of course – even near the young Mistresses they are but a candle next to a bonfire. Still, they do have their own sort of power – a strong power, at that. It is said, among us Brides that our humours are made in such a way that we cannot inflict evil on anyone. Our bodies are pure.

Pure? How so?

The Sand Dirt, if there isn't too much of it, leaves us alone. We can't infect anyone with it, either – that is known. If there is too much of it, however, then we get consumed by it just like anyone else – and there isn't anything anyone can do.

I see... What are you doing tonight?

Why do you ask? I have to be here until the evening and, afterwards, I have a meeting with someone. A beautiful guest in a snakeskin suit. I'm meeting him in the Curriers.

Ah, so the Bachelor is somehow involved in all of this. Artemiy could have asked her to make the sacrifice, and she would've agreed too, but Artemiy wanted to exhaust all leads before having to break the lines of such a creature. However other townsfolk may have seen them, the dancers were, indeed, pure.

I see – no matter, then. You have been blessed with a good metabolism... I didn't think that this sort of stuff can be found in one's lineage. No matter – I'll see you around. Take care.

Before going out to the Steppe in search of the butchers, Artemiy would visit Vlad Jr.

This felt right – there was no need to give up on one's principles too much, quite yet.

Besides, it was very much possible that Artemiy was going to find another Bride, with her lines broken, soon enough.

I would've gone down there myself, if it wasn't for my damned claustrophobia...

No need – I was in there. As you can see, I came out on the other side.

Congratulations. So, what is this pit exactly?

It is some sort of cavern – clearly dug out a long time ago. Its floor, indeed, bears very little resemblance to soil.

Who would need to dig out something like that?

I think I've met a very strange creature down there. It is possible, though that I was hallucinating.

It didn't happen to look like a human-like rat, did it?

It did, actually. Do you know what it is?

Hmm... Interesting. Very interesting. I believe that it is some sort of an illusion. A strange feeling, forced upon people by some creature. I think that you were a victim of hypnosis. What did it say?

Something rather incoherent about my father. Do you know what is behind this hypnosis?

Well – that is rather unclear. Some blame the rats. They have their own abilities, as you know. Others say that the vapours of Suokh are behind this. Hogwash, too. It is a fact, though that this illusion occasionally visits the denizens of our Town. It's a known wraith, if you will. It's called a Rat Prophet, by some.

All this doesn't make sense...

Here's the reward for your bravery, Master Burakh. Thank you. Let's not talk about this matter again.

Indeed – still, you have piqued my curiosity.

The Well

Vlad Jr. reacted to the news with a hint of understanding, though he refused to talk more about it. The way he looked at me seemed to indicate that we were being eavesdropped upon. There is some sort of mystery here, I think. I wonder what he knows about this creature, and where he knows that information from.

In order to get to the gatherer in the Steppe near the Stone Yard, Artemiy would have to enter the Stone Yard proper.

The trek was a bit more tumultuous this time. The shotgun that Artemiy got out of the infected stash and, luckily, left in the storage at his hideout before his capture, came in handy here.

Artemiy was in luck once more – the butchers were still here, and the Tvyr Bride was still here as well.

The butchers were clearly arguing with their bride. Upon noticing Artemiy, however, they quieted down. He bore some measure of authority that the clearly respected – at least, so far. Artemiy decided to talk to the Tvyr Bride first.

You are the only son of oinon Burakh, the eldest in his line and the inheritor of seniority in the Order?

Well, yes – the first part is true enough, although the latter ones are more contentious.

Have you come to open my flesh along the lines of Raga?

However do you mean?

They want to feed the Steppe with my blood – in order to stop this pestilence. However, I'm not strong enough for Earth to consider this an ample sacrifice. Please, have them leave!

Aren't you empowered by the power of birth?

The steppe loves me and grants me herbs. Ask me, and I will summon the White Whip with my songs, and the Brown Tvyr will be drawn to the warmth of my breath. Black Tvyr will be plentiful, but only if I give my moisture to the winter soil.

If you die, then there will be less Tvyr out in the Steppe?

Of course! Now, and forever. I wanted to give birth to a daughter in nine years, so that she could take my warmth and become a new Bride. Until then, only I am the one who can call forth the herb from Suokh's depths. Don't kill me, please... I'll be more useful to you alive.

You will live, do not worry.

Just as before, Artemiy was not about to spend a Bride on a foolish, useless sacrifice. He would find another way.

You are your father's son. Knower of lines, you know how to free the flesh. Open this woman up for us.

What for?

Her humours feed the Steppe. She is full of Mother Bodkho's warmth. We wish to feed the Earth with her blood in order to stop Death.

Whose death?

In the apiary, sons and daughters of the Vein Bodkho are dying. The Mother Superior is young. She doesn't have enough warmth to hold back the pestilence. The daughters of Dead Mistresses have not yet come into power. A sacrifice is needed. We need to open the Herb Bride up.

Why should I stain my hands with innocent blood?

You will be paid back many times over. This is a good deed. The people will love and honour you. Our children will gift you their meat and their bread.

I don't need your children' meat. I won't kill this woman, either.

Then, our children will die.

This was getting useless – they were talking in circles and the butchers were set in their ways and wouldn't budge.

That's bullshit. A silly preconception on your part.

You have grown up far and away from your home, oinon, and you've forgotten the laws which were followed by your wise father to the letter. If you open her up, according to the will of the Order, then you will surely help. We will honour you just like we honoured your father.

So – if I kill this woman, then my reputation will grow, is that it?

Yes – as much as we can possibly make it grow. Return Mother Bodkho's warmth to her, and the Vein will thank you.

After this sacrifice, will the Order accept me as the heir of my Father's legacy?

It... it might – if the sacrifice works that is.

Oh? Is that how it is?

We respect your knowledge, oinon. We know the simple lines of the bulls' flesh, but we don't know the intricacies of the lines of human flesh.

In that case, don't make pronouncements about the things you do not understand!

Will you open the Herb Bride up for us or no?

No, I won't.

Then, you are not Burakh's son! Whose blood is flowing in your veins?

This was quite enough – Artemiy was getting the sample he needed, one way or another.

Artemiy dropped the first butcher with buckshot to the gut...

...then, the second one...

... and, finally, after a lengthy reload, the third one. Soon enough, he had what he came for.

He finally had what Bachelor needed. Artemiy was about to move back to the Stone Yard with the prize in his hand, when he received a sudden letter.

Anna Angel's invitation

It wouldn't be too rash for a poor artist to invite a brave doctor for a serious conversation? I've only just heard the news about your plans, and they are very interesting indeed!

With impatient trepidation,

A.A.A.

The offer wasn't at all tantalizing – in fact, it reeked of false niceties. Something told Artemiy, however that the offer would expire the second he fulfilled Bachelor's mission. He was curious to know what this Anna Angel had to say to him, which meant going near the Stamatin's pub. It was a long trek, but he was quick enough to make it and preserve the integrity of the sample.

The day was coming to a close and it was getting rather late – dangerous time to be on the streets.

Third time through, however, Artemiy encountered no bandit trouble in the “Womb”.

Finally, he was in front of the house he needed.

The interior was rather... catlike, for a lack of a better descriptor. Just like the owner of the house, it would seem.

Who are you?

I am Artemiy Burakh.

Oh yes - I know! You are that terrifying killer everyone was chasing after these past couple of days! You're a ripper, yes?

No, I am no ripper.

Still, you look fairly grimy... What is that on your sleeves? Blood?

It was a rather inopportune moment for Artemiy to try and prove to someone that he is not the ripper everyone was making him out to be. He tried to change the subject to the one that, he, for some reason, thought would be interesting to Anna.

Do you know a certain Vera? The dancer from the pub?

Oh my, yes. I do know her. Why? Is she dying? I hope she is dying...

Oh dear – what did she do to earn your ire?

Ire or no, it's a long story. She is a very special girl, yes... A corrupted girl, understand? It's a shame they haven't caught her four days ago... I wouldn't spare any expenses in order to make sure that that slutty girl is dead!

Artemiy recalled what Vera told him about the lynched dancer and why she was killed by the mob.

Are you suggesting that she was the one who brought the plague into the city?

It's possible, yes... She isn't from here, after all...

Tell me about her.

She was brought here by a scoundrel – a kidnapper of children. It happened eleven years ago. All this time she has, without tiring, given herself to sin. It is time for her cup to run over.

Artemiy was humoring the woman's lying tongue long enough.

Do you hold me for an idiot?

Am I holding you at all? Come on, sweetling... If you want to know why I hate her, then just ask. She destroyed the life of someone very dear to me. That doesn't contradict my tale, now does it? If you're looking for the most sinful creature in our town, then Vera is it, right there!

So? What is the point of all this?

Why, the point of this is that she does not need to live anymore. Perhaps, the pestilence was sent upon us for her sins, no? Remember my words – I'm rich, too.

If you want her death, then do it yourself. It's fairly easy to do, nowadays.

The stupid girl wasted Artemiy's time with her poison, offering almost nothing in return. He could still make it to Bachelor if he'd double-time it.

The five minutes of sprinting that he put in took an unexpected toll on Artemiy.

Artemiy almost plummeted face-first into the pavement, but he managed to catch himself on the walls of one of the buildings. It took a while for lightheadedness to go away. Yet again, it was accompanied by a soft, murmuring female whisper.

Still, Artemiy regained composure soon enough. There was no time to lose.

There was still some time left, and Artemiy wanted to know just how Bachelor was in all this fuss about Vera, the dancer from the pub.

I've found a Herb Bride. A dancer. Her name is Vera. Do you know her?

Is that the blood trader's daughter?

I wouldn't know – it's possible. She said she's meeting someone tonight. In the Curriers.

Is that girl telling everyone about that, left and right?

I wouldn't call her unsociable, if that's what you're asking.

Whatever you do, do not touch her Burakh. Anyone but her, please!

He wouldn't explain further, but Bachelor's sudden desperation took Artemiy by surprise. He decided to stop mucking about and give Bachelor his well-deserved prize.

You don't have to worry about that. I've got what you were looking for right here. It came from a butcher.

Good. Are you sure that he was infected?

I'm not, now that you ask. I didn't have much choice, though.

Yes, I know. That damned Ospina has led them all out into the steppe. I've never seen a more disgusting personage in my entire life! If they reach civilization, all of our quarantine measures will be for naught!

Hey – take it easy on Ospina, now!

I'm sorry – I didn't think the two of you had anything in common.

Well, we do. In any case, don't worry about the butchers. No one will see them again.

Oh? How can you be sure? If the bacteria survives in them without killing the host, then they can be very dangerous! They can be carriers, for all we know.

Whatever happens, they won't be going towards civilization. They'll settle somewhere deep in the Steppe.

There wasn't much use to talk about the matter any longer. Bachelor took a sample from the heart and brought it to the microscope.

Well? What is in there?

Once again, Bachelor was grinning at Artemiy.

This is exactly what we needed! It's still alive in there, the bacteria.

What about the antibodies that I need for the panacea?

I don't know yet. I'll send you the results of the analysis in a couple of hours. Until then, do try to not be too hasty to cut hearts out for your panacea... This custom of yours isn't... too agreeable, I would say.

If this was Dankovsky's idea of a joke, then it was in poor taste.

What? Are you joking? After everything I went through with the entire damned town chasing after me? Do you think I enjoy cutting people open? Besides, it got us this far!

I'm sorry... I didn't want to offend. It just, sort of came out.

Well, it is somewhat understandable... Don't worry - no use crying over spilled milk.

You know, I want to tell you – I am very grateful to you, Burakh. I really am! I don't know about you yet, but for me, the heart is a goldmine. Expect news - chances are, they will be good. Fifty-fifty.

Very well – I will be waiting. Here, if you don't mind.

Dankovsky didn't mind – the bed wouldn't be used by him anytime soon.

The Quivering Heart

The Quivering Heart is in my hands. Inside of it is the elusive Sand Fever and its tiny particles – the result of a desperate struggle between man and the disease. To hold such a thing in my hands it was worth it to take on the title of the Ripper.

Today was a hard day for Artemiy. The hardest yet. Before going to sleep, he drank another bottle of the Dead Broth. The taste was just as foul, and it burned just as much as before. It hurt so much that he had to take a shot of morphine to fall asleep. Still, he had done much and he did deserve the rest this would bring him.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 28, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Kegluneq posted:

Just caught up on this LP - great job so far! I'm amazed at how much more sense the story makes with a good translation. I only played as the Bachelor so this is mostly new to me, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Edit: Does playing as the Haruspex make getting recovery items easier or harder than for the Bachelor? You seem to be doing a lot better for weaponry than I did, but my atrociously translated walkthrough didn't really help me there.

Also it hasn't really come across here, but the time constraints in this game are genuinely nerve wracking. If you don't know exactly where you're meant to be going you can easily fall behind on quests and things go downhill rapidly from there.

When you start as Haruspex, you're in a really bad shape and the entire town hates you, but if you know what to do then you'll be okay. Getting all sorts of items is harder with him too, because, overall, he gets less money to go around than Bachelor. I've bridged the difference by spending most of the nights hunting bandits, as they drop some money and other stuff. I've mostly spent my money off-screen on food, though.

(Writing this made me realize that folks may not know that there is a hunger system in the game, I'm a doofus. I'll work on this tonight and throw it into one of the appendices.)

Haruspex does get an earlier access to a sawn-off than Bachelor does.

Time-wise, I've been doing pretty well and I usually have a lot of time to spare, but that's mostly because I've played through this game a lot and know how to get places as fast as possible. If you're new, you're going to get shafted, time-wise - that's just the unfortunate fact of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really starting to like Artemiy, the way you're playing him. It's interesting to read the townspeoples' interactions with him and his station, now that he's (somewhat) cleared of the suspicion of murder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"You have been blessed with a good metabolism."

Artemiy really needs to work on how he picks up women.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

chitoryu12 posted:

"You have been blessed with a good metabolism."

Artemiy really needs to work on how he picks up women.

"You're really rocking those Lines, girl. Trust me, I Know."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HellishWhiskers posted:

"You're really rocking those Lines, girl. Trust me, I Know."

"I'd open your flesh, if you know what I mean."

God, terrible Haruspex pickup lines shouldn't be funny, but they are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Your heart looks heavy. Want me to take it?"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HellishWhiskers posted:

(Writing this made me realize that folks may not know that there is a hunger system in the game, I'm a doofus. I'll work on this tonight and throw it into one of the appendices.)
Yeah, this is such a huge part of the game that it's worth emphasising. There's a quote from the RockPaperShotgun dissection of the game that really caught my attention and inspired me to play it:

quote:

Instead, survival is its own entirely separate entity. To keep up a stash of supplies you have to learn to master the town’s nightmare economy. Example: giving a child a cutthroat razor in exchange for stolen jewelery, trading these jewels in at a grocers for a heel of bread. Another example: recovering empty bottles from bins, filling them with water at the well and giving them to hungover drunks in exchange for bandages.

On my first runthrough of the game I was impossibly relieved when I got given a revolver and six bullets, because it was the solution to my impending starvation. I took it straight to the nearest corner store and swapped it for a bottle of milk and a can of vegetables. The next day food doubled in price.

I don’t want to dwell on the survival, but the brilliance of this cannot be overstated. If there’s another FPS this decade that has you eagerly swapping your only gun for milk, I’ll gladly disappear up my own rear end in a top hat.
This is a game where just existing is a pretty loving difficult challenge, at least until you've gotten a complete grasp of looting and trading mechanics. I appreciate that side of the game has to take a back seat to narrative here though!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

If only you could vote LPs 5 again.

Kegluneq posted:

Every Ice Pick Lodge game is meant to be failed a few times (except the one..), but with each at least getting kinder to the player about that failure. Knock Knock comes to mind right away with that, especially considering its random nature.

'Yo girl, beauty ain't just skin deep and you look hella good'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah, this is such a huge part of the game that it's worth emphasising. There's a quote from the RockPaperShotgun dissection of the game that really caught my attention and inspired me to play it:

This is a game where just existing is a pretty loving difficult challenge, at least until you've gotten a complete grasp of looting and trading mechanics. I appreciate that side of the game has to take a back seat to narrative here though!

Yeah, I have to apologize for sort of throwing it to the sidelines, because I've done this game enough times that surviving isn't at all a problem for me - in terms of time and supply management, I'm kind of breezing through it all, hence me forgetting that the game is actually really hard.

"Your looks cut open my heart - do you want me to cut open yours?"

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread