Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studio-ghibli-announces-closure/ posted:

Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli’s general manager, took to Japanese television today to announce the closure of their animation feature film department.

Rumours of the Japanese animation studio’s closure have been circling the internet for the last couple of years, but a report from a Ghibli insider to Japanese website News Café made it appear as though that closure would be imminent. This rumour has now been confirmed by the general manager of the studio.

Studio Ghibli has been responsible for many beloved animated movies, not limited to Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and Howl’s Moving Castle. But they made no secret about the fact that in recent years they have been struggling financially, with their most recent movies failing to make a profit for the studio. The Tale of Princess Kaguya, released in 2013, made 5.1 billion yen, and was considered a flop by the studio due to the costs of the production.

Hayao Miyazaki, the co-founder of Studio Ghibli, retired last summer and handed the reins over to Toshio Suzuki — the latter gave up producing films to become the general manager.

The studio will now move on to managing their trademarks and copyrights, with a smaller staff, but will reportedly be keeping the option open to freelance out for any new, viable projects — as they used to prior to Porco Rosso. The full-time staff responsible for producing their feature films will presumably be let go.

When Marnie Was There will be their last feature film. It is based on the novel of the same name by Joan G. Robinson. The plot follows a sickly girl called Anna as she strikes up a friendship with the mysterious Marnie, while she recuperates at a seaside town. It was released on July 19 in Japan. There is no word yet on a U.S. release date.

:smith:

The full (terribly translated) transcript of Suzuki's announcement can be found here: http://oh-totoro.com/post/93700803450/studio-ghibli-announces-closure-toshio-suzuki

I'll be honest, in the last couple of years my interest in anime has waned quite a bit. Studio Ghibli's works were some of the last things I sought out and watched without reservation. Watching The Wind Rises and knowing it was Miyazaki's final film was hard enough, but this news just breaks my heart. If Studio Ghibli can't even break even on a film adaptation of a classic Japanese folktale, what hope does the rest of the industry have? (That, and I guess holding copyrights to globally-renowned films isn't a license to print money after all??)

I guess if there is any hope here in Studio Ghibli continuing to survive as a production entity, it's that they could still co-produce works with other studios, like Goro Miyazaki is doing for Ronia The Robber's Daughter with Polygon Pictures. Maybe. :/

Some other recent Ghibli news that you may have missed:
-A remaster of Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro is getting a DVD/Bluray release in the US at the end of the year/early 2015. It's out already in Japan but with no English dub/sub.
-Princess Kaguya has been picked up by GKIDS for a US release. It will see a limited theater run starting October 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Welp, it was a good run.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

welp

quote:

Update: A better translation of Suzuki’s comments have been published by AnimeNewsNetwork (via /Film) and offer a little more detail on their current plans. “On what to do with Studio Ghibli’s future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing [movies] forever,” he said. “However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here.”

So who knows! :iiam:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-03/ghibli-co-founder-suzuki-studio-considers-dismantling-production-department/.77263

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fingers crossed that this is just temporary, but what he has stated seems like a pretty Japanese way of saying "yeah we're shutting down you guys". The only director left that hasn't retired or stepped down is Goro Miyazaki, and everything he's done has been with daddy supporting him in the background. Even if it was temporary, they'd probably need to hire new staff just to go forward.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 4, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Definitely a huge change even if it's "just" a restructuring, I do hope they continue to make films into the future. It'll be a shame if the only animated movies coming out of Japan are re-edits of tv series and/or sequels to them.

You know what? Shame on me for forgetting Shinkai, Hosoda, and Yoshiura. Probably more I'm neglecting too. :doh:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 4, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mamoru Hosoda has essentially been a better creator of Ghibli-like films than Ghibli themselves over the past decade or so.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Mamoru Hosoda has essentially been a better creator of Ghibli-like films than Ghibli themselves over the past decade or so.

Yeah, it's been obvious for a while that they're been searching for someone to take over, and it's not too surprising they've given up in the end. I suppose it'll be interesting to see what ex-Ghibli animators do.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Make a gif of this where he flys in to the World Trade Center.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pictured: Miyazaki's plan for Ghibli after he retired

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Srice posted:

Pictured: Miyazaki's plan for Ghibli after he retired

This.

I'm extremely disappointed with the direction Ghibli has taken in the last decade or so. After Spirited Away, they could have launched themselves into Disney-like international super-stardom, but they seem to have, instead, looked inward; they made films that targeted primarily Japanese nostalgia and sensibilities, and old-fart Luddite sensibilities at that (I have been saying for years that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is exactly the type of film Ghibli should have been making). As for a successor, they've had since 1998 (when Yoshifumi Kondo died) to train and nurture one, and they haven't. This is just plain lovely business management and I don't believe for a second that there wasn't someone in their company or acquaintance that couldn't step up to the plate.

As much as it pains me to say this because a lot of my favourite films are Ghibli, it's too late to salvage and it's probably for the best that they stop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah. Once Miyazaki gets the kibosh they'll have to figure something out or shut the whole thing down, and I don't know if the rest of them feel the same as Miyazaki.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Roger Explosion posted:

I have been saying for years that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is exactly the type of film Ghibli should have been making

Hosoda probably felt the same way too, which explains why he left.

Mamoru Hosoda posted:

To talk about Howl’s Moving Castle, my experience at Ghibli was really interesting. I was hired because at that time, the producer wanted to train new directors. Unfortunately, I didn’t get along with the staff on an artistic & logistic level, but still, I’ve learnt many things during my short time there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I kinda wish Hosoda would go back to Ghilbi because he's about the only one that holds a candle to Miyazaki at this point.

e:

Rodyle posted:

Hasoda has absolutely no reason to chain himself to that sinking ship. There's a bigger chance of him going back to goddamn Digimon than that.

Is it a ship worth saving, or is the general sentiment that Miyazaki was the only thing keeping it afloat?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 5, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hasoda has absolutely no reason to chain himself to that sinking ship. There's a bigger chance of him going back to goddamn Digimon than that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rodyle posted:

Have you SEEN Summer Wars? That's basically Digimon.

Maybe he'll be back for that Season 2 sequel :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

Oh yeah well of course SW is basically him remaking Our War Game but I meant literally going back. Hell maybe that will actually happen, Hasoda's weird. I'd certainly be happy, because just like Miyazaki's best is Princess Mononoke, Hasoda's best is OWG/SW.

All these artsy types are at their best when making rad action movies :colbert:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'd be okay with Hasoda doign another Digimon movie.

Rodyle posted:

because just like Miyazaki's best is Porco Rosso
ftfy

'Rad action movie' still applies though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I'd certainly be happy, because just like Miyazaki's best is Princess Mononoke, Hasoda's best is OWG/SW.

What? No... What?
Summer Wars is easily the weakest of his three past films, it's only really saved because the secondary storyline (meeting your significant other's extended family for the first time) is so entertaining and relatable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Oz sections are fine as long as you don't take them too seriously. It's also really funny how you see these extraordinarily complex and intricate action sequences which then cut back to the person in real life playing on a loving Nintendo DS. I will however admit that it is still likely his weakest overall film, but more because Wolf Children and TGWLTT are so great. Also it's Hosoda folks, c'mon.

ViggyNash posted:

Is it a ship worth saving, or is the general sentiment that Miyazaki was the only thing keeping it afloat?
The latter, most likely. I mean maybe they are one blockbuster away from getting back on their feet but think of all the things that have to go right for that to happen. It's a moot point anyway since Hosoda has his own studio unless they do a joint operation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to recognize that Porco Rosso is the best film Ghibli's ever made. Personally I never really got the love for Spirited Away.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 6, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would have to be between Porco Rosso and My Neighbour Totoro for best Ghibli film for me.

Spirited Away is okay as a series of nicely animated set-pieces, but as a story it just kind of rambles away until the credits roll.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's what you do, you replace the internet scenes in Summer Wars with Digimon. Best of both worlds.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to recognize that Porco Rosso is the best film Ghibli's ever made. Personally I never really got the love for Spirited Away.
Best Miyazaki film. Takahata's works pretty much all trump Miyazaki's.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Roger Explosion posted:

Unless Yamadas and Kaguya are considered gems (I haven't seen them), then besides Grave of the Fireflies I'm not sure I'd agree. Pom Poko is a straight up bad movie, and Only Yesterday is so bloody boring (and even falls victim to your point of Ghibli making films that too strongly cater to "Japanese nostalgia and sensibilities").

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I liked Kiki's Delivery Service a lot. That and Princess Mononoke. Porco Rosso is good too though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Roger Explosion posted:

I'd agree except for Kiki's Delivery Service, which I reckon is second only to Whisper of the Heart.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Spirited Away is okay as a series of nicely animated set-pieces, but as a story it just kind of rambles away until the credits roll.

It's nice knowing I'm not the only person on Earth who thinks this. That movie wastes so much of the potential set up in the first half.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Roger Explosion posted:

Uh, what? Takahata's a dreadful director, the only one worse in their stable is Goro.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Tae posted:

There's going to be a new season 1 & 2 sequel for digimon this spring.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 6, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Really, what they should do/should've done is make a Nausicaa 26-episode anime series, adapting the whole 7-volume manga, to draw in lots of fans and viewers. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Really, what they should do/should've done is make a Nausicaa 26-episode anime series, adapting the whole 7-volume manga, to draw in lots of fans and viewers. :colbert:

Please don't feed my unrealizable fantasy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

As for a successor, they've had since 1998 (when Yoshifumi Kondo died) to train and nurture one, and they haven't. This is just plain lovely business management and I don't believe for a second that there wasn't someone in their company or acquaintance that couldn't step up to the plate.

What? Almost all of their films since Spirited Away have been by newer writers and directors, so they've definitely been trying. It's just that there hasn't been anyone up to scratch.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I'd agree except for Kiki's Delivery Service, which I reckon is second only to Whisper of the Heart.

Finally, someone else who realises the splendour of Whisper of the Heart, even if it does have that toe-curling singalong.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Are you really dissing on "Country Roads"? Because regardless of any feelings on John Denver that is an absolutely fantasticly animated sequence packed with emotion and characterization.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Whisper of the Heart is my #1 favourite Ghibli film. The country roads part is great. I love it.

I never see Pom Poko get that much love.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

Are you really dissing on "Country Roads"? Because regardless of any feelings on John Denver that is an absolutely fantasticly animated sequence packed with emotion and characterization.

I specifically mean the bit where Seiji and Shizuku are playing it and the old men join in. They're doing something, and then other people join in uninvited out of nowhere, and it seems generic, forced and sentimental to me. I like the song's other uses where it's more ironic, which I suppose reflects the theme of artistic self-improvement.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Whisper of the Heart is the best Ghibli film simple because it has Concrete Road in it. :colbert:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The Country Road thing is one of my favorite pieces of animated anything ever. Just rewatched it and got the same heartwarming feeling as the first time. It's amazingly done.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arguing what the worst Ghibli film is doesn't make sense when they could probably poo poo out stuff better than 99% of anime today.

Speaking of Miyazaki himself I just looked up a list of the full length movies he directed:

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

I haven't watched Castle in the Sky, Wind rises and Porco Rosso (I'm watching that one next) but I wouldn't call a single one of the ones I watched bad. He had an amazing track record.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Aside from the fact that he had a brief stint there, I've no idea how these inane Hosoda comparisons always come up. Hosoda is literally nothing at all like Ghibli or Miyazaki especially. It explains why he left.

Like, the only thing that comes to mind is Wolf Children, which, incidentally, aside from a spectacular opening twenty minutes or so, was easily Hosoda's worse work to date and a film I like less and less the more I think about it. Wasn't even particularly bad on its own merits, just much shallower than advertised. I dunno if I ever got who the focus was even supposed to be, the bland cipher supermom or the bland ciphers her kids quickly became.

Anyway, Mononoke/Porco Rosso tied for best movie.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 7, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Miyazaki's worst movie is Nausicaa, but even then I think the only reason I dislike it is because the manga Miyazaki made so he could make the movie (and which I read before seeing it) is just better than the actual movie (which is probably the same reason why I don't like Akira).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's rare that single movies based on sizable books/manga/comics are any good, so yeah, Nausicaa was damned either way it seems.

• Locked thread