Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Bown posted:

This show is rather good and shows a lot of promise, which I expect it'll live up to sooner rather than later. Awesome performances but Frank isn't really clicking for me as a lead yet. I like the two main wives and Fritz a whole bunch.

Yeah, I like the show a lot but Frank just kind of irritates me at this point. I honestly hope Charlie cracks the compression problem and throws it back in Frank's face, just to knock him down a peg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I pretty much can't stand Frank as a character. Even in this episode, where his motivation is saving his friend's job, I found myself siding with Charlie all the way. I mean, was it petty for Charlie to bring up Babbit's past like that? Sure, but he really had no way of knowing that Babbit had completely hidden any ties to Lavoreaux (sp?) and it's not like he was wrong. He only went further than "He knew him" when pressed and intimidated by Frank.

Frank just strikes me as very unsympathetic, and the whole infidelity thing really isn't helping that at all.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

That was a good episode, and I especially liked that Frank got knocked off his high horse a little bit. He and Charlie circling each other was fun at first, but with the plagiarism thing I felt like Frank became too much of an rear end in a top hat (not helped by the simultaneous reveal of his adultery), so it was good to see the two of them finally come together.

My big complaint now is that the forbidden lesbian romance plotline is very stupid.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rarrgh posted:

Well he was kinda forced into that situation to save his good friend from what could have been a very bad situation.

I get why he confronted Charlie, but bringing Abby into it was a bridge too far for me. And then the crowing later on about how "there's thieves everywhere around here."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Abby plotline is definitely my least favorite part of the show. Beyond the fact that it's boring, Abby has just been so bizarrely low-key through the whole thing. This is an adulterous lesbian relationship that has progressed very quickly from flirtatious glances to straight up sex picnics, and sheltered housewife Abby has never shown more than slight consternation at any stage. Maybe it's just Rachel Brosnahan's performance, but I've never gotten any hint of real chemistry between Abby and Elodie, which makes the whole thing just seem like an odd waste of time. It's a shame, because I think there are very interesting stories to be told about the wives and families outside the labs, but the show doesn't seem keen on telling them.

I'm also still rankled by the whole plagiarism subplot. A few episodes ago Charlie went against his own convictions and lied to the government out of fear that Frank would tell people he was a plagiarist, now he's making jokes about it with the same guy who blackmailed him and a complete stranger. And he and Frank have completely switched positions on the gravity of Charlie's offense. And also Babbit knows now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

^^^ Care to summarize it in spoilers? None of the finale reviews I've read mentioned either character at all.

CelestialScribe posted:

I was way into this show until the lesbian affair.

That was the most contrived piece of bullshit I have ever seen on television.

I mean, drat, I watch a lot of stuff and I haven't seen anything that stupid in a long time. I'm out.

Same here. The show never grabbed me the way it grabbed others, but that plotline was enough to make me skip out on the last three episodes.

• Locked thread