Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Disappointed that, in all the enemy-killing swords, there wasn't one strong against the weed-type enemies called Grasscutter. It's cool that the rank 3 elemental swords have ice and fire coming off the blade though. Kinda reminds me of Onimusha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Zain posted:

Even though we have reached the end, that doesn't mean Yokai Corner has! (Though depending on how many videos Fiendly has left, we'll see where we go from here)

Yokai Corner: Bake-Kujira

This one is a bit shorter because it only had one story associated with it.

Metal Gear bringing the ghost-whale back.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
That sword reminds me of Demon Sword(Fudo Myouoden) on NES. Are they related in some way?
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/File:Fudo_Myouoden_FC_box.jpg

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Razorwind posted:

so, i've caught up... to the end of the lp. -__-

I had this game waay waay back, but i don't think i ever even passed the first chapter, so it was nice to watch you go through it all. quite a number of swords they packed in there, just a pity they're so awkward to get.

It does render almost all of the swords useless and destroys the concept of balance when you have to get most of them using a difficult system that has an absurdly low yield, yet allows for a chance to hit the jackpot and trivialize most of the game. I can't think of a single good reason to include this sort of system in a single-player console game. I should also note that while many of the swords in the video were collected with just one or two Slice Attacks with the Sword of the Eighth Cloud, some still took close to a dozen...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Disappointed that, in all the enemy-killing swords, there wasn't one strong against the weed-type enemies called Grasscutter. It's cool that the rank 3 elemental swords have ice and fire coming off the blade though. Kinda reminds me of Onimusha.

It was kind of worth checking them all out to see their graphical effects. I was hugely disappointed when I first started playing, reading the descriptions of the +0 versions of each sword that all paint a grandiose picture just to have each of them look identical until you get the +3 version.

mkwong98 posted:

That sword reminds me of Demon Sword(Fudo Myouoden) on NES. Are they related in some way?
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/File:Fudo_Myouoden_FC_box.jpg

It's apparently a real sword that gets referenced in a lot of media even though it's obviously a ceremonial blade that would have no practical combat applications.

Zain posted:

Even though we have reached the end, that doesn't mean Yokai Corner has! (Though depending on how many videos Fiendly has left, we'll see where we go from here)

Yokai Corner: Bake-Kujira

This one is a bit shorter because it only had one story associated with it.

Ghost Whale rules.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fiendly posted:

It's apparently a real sword that gets referenced in a lot of media even though it's obviously a ceremonial blade that would have no practical combat applications.

The fact that it is ceremonial means that it must therefore be of immeasurable power because that is how things work in Anime :v:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Final Chapter: Dororo

Encyclopedia: Final Chapter & Gallery

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I am twelve and was sniggering during most of that first cutscene. Anyway, good job on the LP man.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Getting a bonus from right arm and having grown up Dodoro show up really makes me wish that there was some kind of post game so that you could actually do something with that.

I mostly just want to see New Dodoro wreck stuff though honestly.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Great LP, Friendly. That final boss is really cool looking. Shame they didn't really have the means to do more with it other than repeating some simple patterns.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The fact that they actively downgrade you for beating the game 100% is hysterical to me.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The GIG posted:

Getting a bonus from right arm and having grown up Dodoro show up really makes me wish that there was some kind of post game so that you could actually do something with that.

I mostly just want to see New Dodoro wreck stuff though honestly.

I was thinking the same thing. It'd be cool to have a NG+ with super strong monsters, while trashing things with a Dororo that's as strong as Hyakki. Also I really liked adult Dororo's design.

All in all I think the ending was satisfying. The true final boss was fairly epic, and I've always liked bosses that are kind of a set piece unto themselves. I think the final cutscene was about as good as they could get at this point. I mean, it's over. Hyakki has all his parts back and the fiends are dead. Unless they wanted to try and hint at Hyakki and Dororo having a hand in uniting Japan through peace or something, there wasn't really much left to say.

I do have a question, though. You kept saying how the hand always grasped at the foremost of the unbroken horns. I don't think you ever said, but I'm assuming, then, that you have to kill the horns from front to back?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Thanks for the LP, Fiendly. I liked the finale well enough, and hey, we got a Devil May Cry style 'King of Hell' group shot of all the monsters, too!

Grown-up Dororo's refined warrior-woman design is pretty cool, you can definitely see Samura's style in it. Although part of me wishes she still acted a little doofy like Kid Dororo.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think the Fiends creating their own downfall was kinda the idea: That they were so vain and arrogant that they genuinely believed that they were completely unstoppable. While this seems more true in the manga/anime where they basically dare him to try to get his body parts back, even in the game it is painfully clear that they did not view Hyakkimaru as a legitimate threat which ultimately comes back to bite them in the collective rear end.

I like that the game ends on a happy note in that killing Behemoth didn't kill Dororo as well which was what Hyakki clearly feared most after finding out that she was created from the parts the Fiends stole.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I enjoyed the LP, Fiendly. I enjoyed watching it and being in it and dammit it was just a good LP.

Also, I am now slightly more forgiving of Dororo Mode. Why? Because I can put it in a timeline now.

Main game happens, Hyakki goes off to study spiritual mumbo jumbo in the mountains somewhere, Dororo goes on a treasure hunt, uses the money to buy a sword and a clue and ultimately grows up into, well, drat.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a loving cool boss. And I really like Dororo's grown-up model. It's a really drat good design. I'm genuinely impressed.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Well, now that this game is over, let me poop all over this game.

The idea of a game where you have to fight a lot of bosses with your cyborg samurai in order to become a real boy again sounds like the loving illest idea for a videogame ever, but the combat sucks (jump slashing constantly with your long sword is way more effective than anything else, all the bosses and enemies are pushovers) and the game gets really lazy with reusing boss fights so the idea of fighting 48 fiends is way less interesting (they couldn't even be bothered to make 48 bosses because there's the big combination boss at the end that just gives you a bunch of stuff back)

The idea of getting your body parts back is criminally underused (the stat boosts don't make any noticeable difference, a lot of them upgrade your ability to have continues which doesn't matter because you'll never die in this incredibly easy game, only five loving body parts give you any sort of gameplay benefit besides bonus stats, one you get at the end of the tutorial, one at the end of the first chapter, two are late game optional bosses and the last one is the very last body part you get) and the levels are way to loving big and empty.

It's not the worst game, but it's way worse then the other ps2 action games put out by the same company in the same timeframe (gungrave, bujingai) and it doesn't live up to it's potential at all.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

darealkooky posted:

They couldn't even be bothered to make 48 bosses because there's the big combination boss at the end that just gives you a bunch of stuff back.

In fairness, Chimera/Nue was explicitly from the manga like Redcap, Ninetails, Yudai, Dragonbrood, and Maimai'Onba so its inclusion was basically mandatory.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the LP Fiendly this was a really good game. I have a few minor complaints here and there, mostly the reskin bosses, but i really liked the game overall and it had pretty good boss designs for it's time.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

In fairness, Chimera/Nue was explicitly from the manga like Redcap, Ninetails, Yudai, Dragonbrood, and Maimai'Onba so its inclusion was basically mandatory.

And beyond that they didn't cop out like the manga did and just say 'Well that was quite a few fiends. I can't tell if that restored everything but story done now goodbye everyone.' I respect that they took what was put down as the ending and even sort of refrenced it with the bad ending then gave you the ability to get a good and more fulfilling ending. Even if the post-game is a bit......lack luster with how they didn't bother making a model for your lost gun, or making you capable of wielding any two swords you want(to be fair I think they did that because Muramasa+Double Edge would mean any challenge that COULD have existed would disappear) or I believe even making it so you could refight fiends with your full body which could have been sort of fun in a cathartic way where you get revenge on bosses that annoyed you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thanks for the LP Fiendly, I really enjoyed it. Great game of a great property.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

darealkooky posted:

The idea of a game where you have to fight a lot of bosses with your cyborg samurai in order to become a real boy again sounds like the loving illest idea for a videogame ever, but the combat sucks (jump slashing constantly with your long sword is way more effective than anything else, all the bosses and enemies are pushovers) and the game gets really lazy with reusing boss fights so the idea of fighting 48 fiends is way less interesting (they couldn't even be bothered to make 48 bosses because there's the big combination boss at the end that just gives you a bunch of stuff back)

The idea of getting your body parts back is criminally underused (the stat boosts don't make any noticeable difference, a lot of them upgrade your ability to have continues which doesn't matter because you'll never die in this incredibly easy game, only five loving body parts give you any sort of gameplay benefit besides bonus stats, one you get at the end of the tutorial, one at the end of the first chapter, two are late game optional bosses and the last one is the very last body part you get) and the levels are way to loving big and empty.

It's not the worst game, but it's way worse then the other ps2 action games put out by the same company in the same timeframe (gungrave, bujingai) and it doesn't live up to it's potential at all.

I have to agree with a lot of this. Though some of the problems were stuff from the cop out ending from the manga. Realistically speaking though, I'm not sure how much they could have done with the body parts. I could see maybe Ears enable you to hear the music, but like with Eyes, it'd have to be likely an early upgrade. That said, I do think they could have held out using the eyes thing at least for a while since it'd have made for a more drastic change. I do think there should have been more variety in the bosses, but I kind of think there should be more games like this and SoTC. Games which focus more on bosses with an exclusion of everything else.

Unrelated, but that cutscene had some uh.. interesting subtext going. I kind of wonder if it was intentional.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Been a great LP---first I've ever seen take the game all the way through and expounding upon the lot of it to the utmost. Made for a pretty crazy and eclectic action game for the times as well---can't think of anything similarly offbeat to that extent to be a good chaser for the lot of it...maybe the few games that star Gackt have enough of that special bizarre something?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DeliciousCookie posted:

Unrelated, but that cutscene had some uh.. interesting subtext going. I kind of wonder if it was intentional.

Considering how blatantly obvious the alternate subtext is I find it hard to imagine it was accidental or that nobody noticed.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
finally, a proper (kinda) ending to dororo. gonna follow the choir here and agree that adult dororo's design is really good.

kinda wish at the end there Hyaki had at least tried to offer dororo his right arm-blade, the sword she'd been after the whole time. even if she went, 'nope, got my own sword now' it'd have been nice to have him make the gesture.

anyways, thanks for plying through this game so thoroughly for us Fiendly, it was great to watch al the way through this pretty good and kinda unique game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Razorwind posted:

kinda wish at the end there Hyaki had at least tried to offer dororo his right arm-blade, the sword she'd been after the whole time. even if she went, 'nope, got my own sword now' it'd have been nice to have him make the gesture..

It's possible that whoever wrote the final chapter either didn't know about this plot point or just didn't think that it was important enough to include since by now Dororo has her own sword anyway.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thanks for the LP, Fiendly.

A neat game, with a neat concept. Bit iffy in places, but pretty fun. :)
Nthing the nice design adult Dororo, and the Fiend has.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Garrand posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It'd be cool to have a NG+ with super strong monsters, while trashing things with a Dororo that's as strong as Hyakki. Also I really liked adult Dororo's design.

All in all I think the ending was satisfying. The true final boss was fairly epic, and I've always liked bosses that are kind of a set piece unto themselves. I think the final cutscene was about as good as they could get at this point. I mean, it's over. Hyakki has all his parts back and the fiends are dead. Unless they wanted to try and hint at Hyakki and Dororo having a hand in uniting Japan through peace or something, there wasn't really much left to say.

I do have a question, though. You kept saying how the hand always grasped at the foremost of the unbroken horns. I don't think you ever said, but I'm assuming, then, that you have to kill the horns from front to back?

Would have loved any sort of post-game content, since the world after killing Behemoth has no Fiends in it to use Hyakki's maxed stats on or level up his dual swords with, but I do appreciate that they had a legitimate, complete ending with no possibility for any continuation of the story, which is almost unheard of in video games. Also, Dororo reverts to child form again if you return to completed chapters, which I forgive because it would have been a ton of work to change all of her attacks to be sword-based as well as her hitbox and animations and everything, but it further discourages any continued playing of the game and is another case of unfulfilled potential.

It's worth noting that any time Dororo and Hyakki are in the same playable area of the game together, Dororo can be controlled with a second controller (which I forgot to mention throughout the entire game), so there could have been a co-op thing with end-game Hyakki and adult Dororo maybe refighting bosses or something that would have been really cool if nothing else.

About the horns, no, you can break them in any order, I just found going from closest to the head back works pretty well on numerous attempts.

darealkooky posted:

Valid points all, it just comes down to how much of this game is style over substance, and then one's mileage varying on how good that style is. The illness of the premise went a long way for me, and that everything else was competent and felt like it met the intent of the developers carried it the rest of the way to greatness in my eyes.

DeliciousCookie posted:

I restrained myself from pointing out how post-coital that whole scene is since I was already making an Oedipus reference and all. But yeah, it's weird.

If anyone's interested in seeing whether the Japanese version of that scene plays out the same way, I found a long play of the Japanese version of the game (with the much-appreciated help of Pesky Splinter) that satisfied a lot of my curiosities. Here's the video with the final chapter:
http://youtu.be/u_-H5czbwG4

And here's the ending of chapter 7 with Daigo's voice actor:
http://youtu.be/m_m5JZLQJ3c?t=1h7m14s

Thought this might make a cool supplement to the in-game bonus videos with the original voices. I noticed that Dororo calls Hyakki "aniki" exclusively in these videos, as he does in the manga which loosely translates it to "bro" in the localization, and also they use the original names Bandai and Kanekozo for Yudai and the Troll in chapter 3, so even the different version is slightly more faithful to the comics. It also seems that many of the game's changes to the manga's story come from the anime, including the ending according to a commenter on YouTube, so I'm really looking forward to the anime becoming widely available on Anime Sols in the near future.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Nope, even in Japanese it's still pretty clear she wants him. The voice acting's better, at least.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I am sad that we don't get to see what grown up Dororo could do as well. Thanks for Lping this game Fiendly.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
For some reason when i first played this as a kid i never got the Eight-Clouds Sword and had to fight Behemoth without it. I never ever managed to get 48 slices and had to give up on this game until a few years later when i wasn't as much of an idiot.

Thanks for this LP Fiendly!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was a satisfying boss fight. So much to cut!

And Future Dororo was neat too.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I love LPs of under appreciated gems like this.

I do have to wonder what the final fiend's plan was though. "Hide in an annoying kid and do nothing for years on end" seems rather ineffective for taking over the world. Maybe he got scared after seeing what happened to the other 47 fiends?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well by the time Hyakki was down to just the last fiend their plan was already totally ruined so its plan was probably "Hide in Dororo to force Hyakki to kill her, hah im so evil!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Basically, it knew the plan had to poo poo so it just tried to survive at this point and maybe have one last "gently caress you Hyakkimaru!" moment before it got inevitably killed by Hyakki.

• Locked thread