Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the other hand, she's an untrained, unpowered human who not only managed to track Hyakki down, she did so without a mark on her pretty kimono. All armed with only a kitchen knife! Considering you can't walk more than three feet without being accosted by a dozen yokai in this place, I'd say she deserves a round of applause.

Honestly, Dragon Brood backed the wrong horse in that boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Drakli posted:

Do you suppose the specters are based on Gaki, AKA Hungry Ghosts? The distended bellies and obsession with constantly eating matches up. I've also seen Gaki portrayed as physical entities despite being called ghosts, similar to these specters.

The Shadow Beasts and their statue-dog kin remind me a little of Foo-Dog or Foo Lion statues too; except for the evilness and the lack of a mane, but that might be a stretch.

These are two of the demons that I was sure were meant to reference something because they're so oddly specific, and these both seem like probable sources. I'll add them to the first Encyclopedia soon.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 5: Legion (Part 2)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dororo, this isn't a world where you can live on your own. At least not until Hyakki's got his body going.

Seriously, though, that fiend needs to work on his pitch. "Give me your face and nourish us with your suffering!" Or? Or what? Death would be better than that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While not the most appropriate name for the rat guy if you don't know the context, Redcap refers to murderous goblins which rat guy does bare some resemblance to.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
drat, I was just going to post about redcaps, Chimera. See, they look like old men in uh, red caps. And if a traveler, seeking shelter, stumbles upon their homes, the dwarf then kills them, and uses their blood to coat their hats. If the hat dries up, the redcap dies. Which is a very Yokai style set of rules.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Choco1980 posted:

drat, I was just going to post about redcaps, Chimera. See, they look like old men in uh, red caps. And if a traveler, seeking shelter, stumbles upon their homes, the dwarf then kills them, and uses their blood to coat their hats. If the hat dries up, the redcap dies. Which is a very Yokai style set of rules.

So if I'm being hosted by a redcap I should be sure and bring along my dehumidifier? Good travel tip.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, if Tezuka only went darker on from Dororo, that's not quite awesome so much as it is Tomino levels of horrifying.

No, seriously. I've watched Victory Gundam. That is some depressing poo poo.

As for the Minotaur, I would actually agree it looks like it just came out of Nocturne or maybe Digital Devil Saga. That thing looked pretty boss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Some modern children's entertainment still... let's say builds character.

Adventure Time manages to work in some messed up poo poo from time to time, and Legend of Korra pushes the limit of Y7.

First season ended with an on-screen murder suicide, and the latest season had someone suffocated to death for the viewer, and someone else got her head exploded.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Modern kid shows are all written by people who grew up in the 80's and 90's so of course they're going to be kind of messed up.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Oh yeah, I'll fully admit that a few kid shows have come full circle and are as eager to do and say disturbing things as my old favorites. I especially love this Adventure Time clip, which made my skin crawl immediately the first time I saw it because I recognized the angel's voice actor and knew it was going to go somewhere seriously wrong.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Flapjack. That is all.

Fiendly posted:

Oh yeah, I'll fully admit that a few kid shows have come full circle and are as eager to do and say disturbing things as my old favorites. I especially love this Adventure Time clip, which made my skin crawl immediately the first time I saw it because I recognized the angel's voice actor and knew it was going to go somewhere seriously wrong.

I've seen everything up to the start of S5 or so and I seriously don't remember that episode. I remember the Fruit Witches though. Definitely remember the Fruit Witches.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've seen everything up to the start of S5 or so and I seriously don't remember that episode. I remember the Fruit Witches though. Definitely remember the Fruit Witches.

I'm really starting to not even care about the show. Which is sad. It seems like it's trying to be a bit more "Let's push the envelope" more than having the charming characters like it used to. I mean yeah they're all the same, but characters were having growth then it just sort of regressed a bit and that's annoying.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Osamu Tezuka was into all sorts of interesting things, tbh.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

Seriously, though, that fiend needs to work on his pitch. "Give me your face and nourish us with your suffering!" Or? Or what? Death would be better than that.

That sounds vaguely familiar... :stonk:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

Honestly, if Tezuka only went darker on from Dororo, that's not quite awesome so much as it is Tomino levels of horrifying. No, seriously. I've watched Victory Gundam. That is some depressing poo poo.
It's okay, sometime around the late 2000s I think someone started slipping antidepressants into his food. Or slipping him something, anyway. Tomino, that is, not Tezuka.

Post-Dororo, I'd say it's not that he gets darker in terms of higher body counts (usually) but the themes are more serious, and with fewer fantasy elements to soften them. MW was mentioned in the video, there's also Ode to Kirihito with its corruption and politics in medicine, Phoenix, and of course, Adolf. Even though he pioneered the industry in many respects, Tezuka wasn't always at the forefront of its trends. His more serious turn was probably influenced by Yoshihiro Tatsumi and his push to make comics with more grounded themes that he called gekiga. The whole arc of comic publishing in Japan is really fascinating stuff, but it is sort of getting tangential to the LP.

So instead I'll point out how nicely your growing strength over the course of the game dovetails with the story. Hyakkimaru was supposedly the 'chosen one,' after all before the fiends got their hands on his bits and pieces. The implication is that if he hadn't been carved up as an infant he would have grown up just as strong as he is now--stronger, even. Considering how well he's doing with just over half his body restored, you can see why they would be worried!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rangpur posted:

It's okay, sometime around the late 2000s I think someone started slipping antidepressants into his food. Or slipping him something, anyway. Tomino, that is, not Tezuka.

Between that and Turn A, I'd say it worked.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Between that and Turn A, I'd say it worked.

Hell, what about Overman King Gainer? Legend states that when he spoke about how the opening would go at the pitch meeting, he started demonstrating the dances in it to a bewildered group of executives.

And yes, there is in fact footage out there somewhere of 'Kill 'Em All' Tomino doing The Monkey.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
They're responding to a link to the Gainer opening, you goof. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They're responding to a link to the Gainer opening, you goof. :v:

Did I mention I can't read? Pretty sure that was a thing I mentioned.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 5: Legion (Part 3)

Encyclopedia: Chapter 5

As mentioned in the video, here's the first of Zain's series of informative videos about yokai, not necessarily ones that appear in the game but still highly relevant to the thread:
Yokai Corner: Rokuro-Kubi

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Speaking of Yokai Corner! There's a new episode out today! Yokai Corner: Kappa I do apologize as I'm still learning my new mic and getting volume adjustments correct.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Are you guys maybe talking about these creepy clay dolls? Dogu are everywhere!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So you fought a minocrabotaur, I guess.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

Are you guys maybe talking about these creepy clay dolls? Dogu are everywhere!

The Dogu is the one that the fiend looked like yeah, but there used to be a tradition of putting a doll in with a child's body when they died.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The Kamen Rider series Zain was talking about in this one is Kamen Rider W, and the kaijin in that one are based off concepts of the world, some of them easier to pick up on than others (Magma, Money) and some which are a lot more abstract (Violence, Zone). Clay Doll was the form of one of the enemy commanders, along with Taboo, Similodon, Nazca, and Terror. It's a good show.

I'm also a huge Kamen Rider fan and W is probably my second favorite series, so yeah.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gaim has replaced W in the best Kamen Rider series to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So is there any reason to put your right sword arm away at this point now that you can sword+Swordarm all the time?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
As stated in the video, you can't hit enemy weakpoints with both arms out and individual sword hits seem stronger.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hmm. Looking at that enemy list, I can't help but speak out for the Yeti-class of enemies. Sasquatch are of course, considered to be, like they appear here, snow-bound versions of the bigfoot myth. Wendigo, on the other hand, are something extremely different. A serious, highly feared demon of the Algonquian traditions (a rich mythology I've been slowly researching in my spare time), the Wendigo is a spirit of evil, intense hunger, capable of transforming its shape and size, usually growing to adjust to whatever it eats, so that it never can eat enough. Traditionally, it is seen as a cross between a man and a stag, often with great large antlers upon its humanoid head, and possessing of speed so great it was said to leave burning footprints in its wake. However, the Wendigo also is a spirit of possession, entering into men that have committed the taboo of cannibalism, often due to starvation conditions. These men would become ravenous, evil revenants, driven mad by their hunger for human flesh, with an emaciated, dried up appearance, denoting their supernatural cravings.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I love how whiny Redcap is about Hyakki killing Legion, it just seems really fitting for the character. For all the script and voice direction quirks, the Fiends are probably some of the best acting in the game.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 21, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Zain posted:

Gaim has replaced W in the best Kamen Rider series to me.

It's definitely up there, especially how it looked at the start.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Choco1980 posted:

Hmm. Looking at that enemy list, I can't help but speak out for the Yeti-class of enemies. Sasquatch are of course, considered to be, like they appear here, snow-bound versions of the bigfoot myth. Wendigo, on the other hand, are something extremely different. A serious, highly feared demon of the Algonquian traditions (a rich mythology I've been slowly researching in my spare time), the Wendigo is a spirit of evil, intense hunger, capable of transforming its shape and size, usually growing to adjust to whatever it eats, so that it never can eat enough. Traditionally, it is seen as a cross between a man and a stag, often with great large antlers upon its humanoid head, and possessing of speed so great it was said to leave burning footprints in its wake. However, the Wendigo also is a spirit of possession, entering into men that have committed the taboo of cannibalism, often due to starvation conditions. These men would become ravenous, evil revenants, driven mad by their hunger for human flesh, with an emaciated, dried up appearance, denoting their supernatural cravings.

Yeah well English media has always sort of hosed up the Wendigo, for example the Marvel Comics character that fights the Hulk is basically just a yeti- although it's not like Japan is entirely free of that either with poo poo like Wendigomon from Digimon. I would probably blame choices like this because the interpretations of the Wendigo are commonly drawn from The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood where it's a big hulking beast that looks like a big foot with antlers that got hit with every branch of the ugly tree.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Do not gently caress with Wendigos; Bigfoot and Sasquatch are basically just overly large gorillas but Wendigos are straight up hunger demons and you do not gently caress with demons whose entire shtick is eating everything that can be eaten.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Oh no! Wendigo done a crime!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TCat posted:

Yeah well English media has always sort of hosed up the Wendigo, for example the Marvel Comics character that fights the Hulk is basically just a yeti- although it's not like Japan is entirely free of that either with poo poo like Wendigomon from Digimon. I would probably blame choices like this because the interpretations of the Wendigo are commonly drawn from The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood where it's a big hulking beast that looks like a big foot with antlers that got hit with every branch of the ugly tree.

Interestingly enough, speaking of Marvel's Wendigo, one of the books for Universe X, the sequel to Earth X, reconciles the myth. Some X-Men and other pre-Earth X mutants that had previously found shelter in Black Panther's nation of Wakanda are forced to make a pilgrimage to The Savage Land (in the middle of Antarctica) because reasons. Along the snowy way, they are slowly tormented and picked off by a group of Wendigo (yes, more than one). Eventually it turns out that Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man, was lost and starving in the snow, and resorted to auto-cannibalism. He then became possessed by the spirit of the Wendigo, due to his crime and the associated guilt, just like in the traditional myths. I think it might be the coolest thing they do in that entire property.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Chance II posted:

Oh no! Wendigo done a crime!

Best wendigo, no argument.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Choco1980 posted:

Interestingly enough, speaking of Marvel's Wendigo, one of the books for Universe X, the sequel to Earth X, reconciles the myth. Some X-Men and other pre-Earth X mutants that had previously found shelter in Black Panther's nation of Wakanda are forced to make a pilgrimage to The Savage Land (in the middle of Antarctica) because reasons. Along the snowy way, they are slowly tormented and picked off by a group of Wendigo (yes, more than one). Eventually it turns out that Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man, was lost and starving in the snow, and resorted to auto-cannibalism. He then became possessed by the spirit of the Wendigo, due to his crime and the associated guilt, just like in the traditional myths. I think it might be the coolest thing they do in that entire property.

A man becoming a Wendigo because he cannibalized himself is pretty incredible, I'll give Marvel that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If we're throwing comics into the mix, the Hellboy version is pretty tragic.

It's been a while but, IIRC, the short version is that the team is sent to investigate Wendigo attacks in Colorado. They come upon the wendigo who attacks them, but after a brief fight, he calms down and shows that he can talk and that his name is Daryl.

It turns out in this version of the story, the "curse" is more like an infectious disease, but you can cure yourself if you transfer it to another person. But now, Daryl, this more or less innocent guy has to be locked up in a pit forever. Because he won't ever die of natural causes, and apparently killing him outright is not an option (maybe that's how the disease transfers. I don't remember).

I can't google to verify at work, but that's kind of the gist. Search for Daryl the Wendigo for more details.

EDIT: Of course, the picture that doesn't load for me is the one that shows all this already.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man, if Hyakki's this crazy badass when he gets his arms back, imagine how he'll be when he gets back depth perception.

• Locked thread