Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

A Lot of people posted:

Daigo's an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, I've never read the manga, never played the game, never saw any adaptations, but if you tell me that the father that sold out his unborn child for a deal with demons for power doesn't come back at some point, you can color me pretty drat surprised.

Also, the proper term for games like Zelda is "Legend of Zeld-ish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

At the beginning of this video you mention that in Pokemon they called the rice balls "Doughnuts" in the English version. I remember that they did that going as far back as Alex Kidd back in the Master System days.

I'm old is what I'm trying to say.

Rangpur posted:

All the Daigo/Nobunaga talk in the thread made me curious: are there any alt-history stories (movies, anime/manga, whatever) where Nobunaga doesn't die at Honnouji and succeeds in conquering Japan? It seems like such an obvious jumping-off point for one, yet I can't think of any. Preferably one that actually considers the historical fallout instead of setting fluff for a story that reincarnates him in the body of a robot-piloting scantily clad high school girl.

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but the closest I can think of is the Samurai Warriors series where Nobunaga is playable, and I think you can fight your way out of a burning Honnouji and fight to unify Japan. I know that the latest Dynasty Warriors had an Alternate History mode for things just like this if you succeeded at optional objectives.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

drat, I was just going to post about redcaps, Chimera. See, they look like old men in uh, red caps. And if a traveler, seeking shelter, stumbles upon their homes, the dwarf then kills them, and uses their blood to coat their hats. If the hat dries up, the redcap dies. Which is a very Yokai style set of rules.

So if I'm being hosted by a redcap I should be sure and bring along my dehumidifier? Good travel tip.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If we're throwing comics into the mix, the Hellboy version is pretty tragic.

It's been a while but, IIRC, the short version is that the team is sent to investigate Wendigo attacks in Colorado. They come upon the wendigo who attacks them, but after a brief fight, he calms down and shows that he can talk and that his name is Daryl.

It turns out in this version of the story, the "curse" is more like an infectious disease, but you can cure yourself if you transfer it to another person. But now, Daryl, this more or less innocent guy has to be locked up in a pit forever. Because he won't ever die of natural causes, and apparently killing him outright is not an option (maybe that's how the disease transfers. I don't remember).

I can't google to verify at work, but that's kind of the gist. Search for Daryl the Wendigo for more details.

EDIT: Of course, the picture that doesn't load for me is the one that shows all this already.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread