Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The singleplayer gets a lot of flak, but its actually a really great campaign. Great variety of enemies, cool weapons, and the levels are all fun to run through. Just a great game in general that often flies under the radar. Quake 4 is also decent, but not as good as Quake 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The OP is scared to play this, Warsow, Quake Live, or any other game with me.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I've never played Quake, am I missing out?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

The OP is scared to play this, Warsow, Quake Live, or any other game with me.

We tried to play Quake 2 coop like twice and it didn't work. I even dug up my CD.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Looke posted:

I've never played Quake, am I missing out?

Yep!

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

We tried to play Quake 2 coop like twice and it didn't work. I even dug up my CD.

me and blart played it coop and it was hell getting it working iirc

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I need to play Q2 still.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When I played the Mission Packs of Q1 on stream though, BHLab told me that Q2 was basically those but longer and exaggerated which has made me nervous.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I replayed Q2 a couple months ago on skill 4 and it was still pretty easy. The best part of Q2 is really all the mods that people used to play. I have the expansion packs but they are kind of boring.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I played Quake 2 all the time when I was a kid, and I still think it's good, though not as good as Quake 1. I still have one of the expansion pack CDs somewhere.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

Try http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hmmm...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think we tried that.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I drunkenly decided to play online and found a server that had a good amount of people online.

http://q2servers.com/

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I really liked the Super Shotgun in Q2, and it was better than the Q1 shotguns.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I always liked the jail parts of the Q2 single player cause the crazy marine sounds/animations make me giggle.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Q2 was fun for its time, but I remember hating the run speed being a lot slower than Quake 1. Especially in deathmatch.

That's why you jump around my ninja.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
agreed, Borsche69

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Don't you instantly go like 2x faster if you circle jump in Q2. lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Don't you instantly go like 2x faster if you circle jump in Q2. lol

q2dq2 is really epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm torn on whether I think it'd of been cooler to make you half-strogg all the time in Q4 or to leave it until half way so you are like, Holy poo poo I just became exceedingly win.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I always liked the jail parts of the Q2 single player cause the crazy marine sounds/animations make me giggle.

Q2 had some really good sounds.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

I'm torn on whether I think it'd of been cooler to make you half-strogg all the time in Q4 or to leave it until half way so you are like, Holy poo poo I just became exceedingly win.

The before and after is really good. I think you become stroggified like a third of the way through, it feels like you spend the majority of the game as a strogg.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

The before and after is really good. I think you become stroggified like a third of the way through, it feels like you spend the majority of the game as a strogg.

I felt like it was more 2/3 of the way when I played it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

That has it's risks, like making it fairly easy to plant a rocket at the feet of the jumper. Although I think the Q2 rockets were fairly slow.

Oh I thought you meant SP.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

I felt like it was more 2/3 of the way when I played it.

there's 5 acts and he gets stroggified right at the start of act 3 so idk. I just replayed the drat game this year too and I can't remember.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Same but maybe I'm just remembering thinking like, "Okay it took so long to get here, there can't be much time to be a strogg in a game made since Deus Ex."

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Same but maybe I'm just remembering thinking like, "Okay it took so long to get here, there can't be much time to be a strogg in a game made since Deus Ex."

I remember like the waste facility/the sewers being really long.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I remember like the waste facility/the sewers being really long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzDksm-GnFo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sliding was fairly epic. It's to bad Quake 4 is so drat ugly and dead or the MP would be sort of win.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lol I remember wathcing you stream like early on and you were taking forever to get passed that one glass thing that I think you have to put a laser through.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Sliding was fairly epic. It's to bad Quake 4 is so drat ugly and dead or the MP would be sort of win.

Its really epic their making a new Doom game and not another Quake game [said in the voice of a man who has lost the will to live]

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think id is all but Bethesda now anyway so I don't care if quake dies with QL.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Its cool how many enemies they cram into some of the rooms of Q2, and some of the corridors get real tight so Q2 done quick has a guy just running on top of a corridor just filled to the brim with parasites and grunts

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I KNOW YOURE TROLLING B UT IT loving WORKED QUAKE 2 IS DOGSHIT

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Q2 is no where near as fast as Q1 or Q3, but it's 100% more gritty. I enjoy it. Especially DM on tastyspleen. There is a reason it's not given as much love, though. It doesn't have the John Romero magic.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I just got the CD music working with KMQuake2. Time to game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I just got the CD music working with KMQuake2. Time to game.

Oh man, I got Knightmare Quake last week, too. The music is the best part of Q2, hands loving down or up. Any way hands go.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kazvall posted:

Q2 is no where near as fast as Q1 or Q3, but it's 100% more gritty. I enjoy it. Especially DM on tastyspleen. There is a reason it's not given as much love, though. It doesn't have the John Romero magic.

I like the observation someone (everyone made) that Q2 is what happens when you have Carmack by himself make a game, completely devoid of soul but technically sound and extremely solid, and Daikatana is what happens when Romero makes a game by himself, etc. etc. Anyway, peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I like the observation someone (everyone made) that Q2 is what happens when you have Carmack by himself make a game, completely devoid of soul but technically sound and extremely solid, and Daikatana is what happens when Romero makes a game by himself, etc. etc. Anyway, peace.

These words. These words are true. This is why a Dirty Old Men movie with only Jack Lemmon wouldn't work.

• Locked thread