Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
What's this thread's take on Green Hell? It's on steam sale and it keeps being recommended to me. On the surface it looks like it's survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chainchompz posted:

What's this thread's take on Green Hell? It's on steam sale and it keeps being recommended to me. On the surface it looks like it's survival.

It's good and is more survival than most survival games.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Vasler posted:

Even with that and the water purification tablets you get, I've still died. Most of my deaths (4 so far) have been due to overheating and developing hyperthermia. I haven't figured out how to not die of this yet.

There's not a lot of good options for cooling down. Drenching yourself in water will lower your temperature enough to survive, and taking off clothes helps lower temps. If you see the 'overheating' bar appear that's an immediate crisis, letting it build up will murder you. I survived the dry season by keeping a stash of sea water at my base (in water bottles so it doesn't evaporate) and going completely nude. I'm not sure what I would have done if I started the game without water bottles though, they seem like a rare find.

Usually I die from lack of water. If rain doesn't come for 20+ days things can get absolutely miserable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

chainchompz posted:

I was considering it and watched some gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of 'you're a white dude in the amazon who has to rescue your girlfriend and also the natives are evil monsters' thing but perhaps it's more nuanced than that in gameplay. The survival aspects look really solid.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
looking at getting into vintage story finally. are there any QOL or solid mods to use for first time playing people recommend or is just vanilla the way to go? game seems expansive by itself.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I was considering it and watched some gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of 'you're a white dude in the amazon who has to rescue your girlfriend and also the natives are evil monsters' thing but perhaps it's more nuanced than that in gameplay. The survival aspects look really solid.

There are hostile locals, but I don't recall them being depicted as anything other than not thrilled to see you. I didn't like the DLC and didn't play it, so maybe there's something distasteful in there. It does get weird and abstract in some places, but it's always after you've taken hallucinogens and is more Max Paine-y. There is little or no nuance.

edit: you are white and a savior. More in a global context, but you do save local villagers from sticky situations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

esquilax posted:

Stranded Deep just did their 1.0 release after 7 years of "early access", priced at $15. Is it worth playing if you haven't done so already?
Having played it recently for the very first time... no, I personally wouldn't say so. In many ways it feels like what it is, a sort of living precursor to the genre as a whole. Imagine in your mind an early access survival crafting game and whatever you're picturing is about right. No progression balance, unintuitive UI and crafting, hostile and overpowered wildlife, weirdly structured but also very shallow tech tree, time spent balancing meters and wrangling awkward controls. There's nothing about it that feels very fun or satisfying. I never much liked The Forest for all its jank and the way it chose to focus its gameplay but I'd take that over this any day.

chainchompz posted:

Probably the best survival game I've played that's actually about survival. It's done really well for itself and pretty recently released part 3/3 of its free DLC campaign that's now longer than the main story campaign, and throws in new mechanics, crafts, enemies, and constructions to boot.

HopperUK posted:

I also disagree with the above poster calling you a "white savior", the story campaign stands pretty starkly in contrast to that for reasons that would be spoiler-y to talk about.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 11, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
It's not a straight survival game (it does have hunger and thirst meters) but can anyone give context for the development of Scrap Mechanic? I picked it up a year ago and really liked it, but put it down after running through the available content. I just checked in on it, and aside from some minor tweaks and additions to the challenge mode, it's almost unchanged. I see there have been some dev blogs teasing content, but I'm a bit surprised by the slow pace of development. Did I buy something that is known to be pretty much DOA?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Thanks, I'll pick it up and give it a shot.

Right or wrong the white savior/"explorer"/poverty tourism vibe from the trailers did put me off a bit and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who picked up on it. Glad to hear it's a solid game despite that possible initial limitation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The map in green hell is static right?

Also the switch version always goes on sale for hella cheaper vs the steam version

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
The only criticism I was able to muster for Green Hell is that it goes from "holy poo poo everything is killing me" to "I can't die" very abruptly, not because of any in-game progression that confers that level of survivability, but because you as the player will have a eureka moment when it all clicks together and you "get it." Once that happens, when you die you can always point to the exact mistake that led to your death. Whether or not you consider that a point against the title is up to what you like.

Surviving is not about building through a tech tree, but about learning, exploring, understanding, and remembering where things are. Getting lost is kind of a big deal, but the idea of being "lost" is a good parallel to real life: you're only "lost" if you aren't familiar with an area. Once you know an area well, it goes from inhospitable and deadly, to easy to survive in, to eventually safe enough to recover from a mistake or two.

It also has a storyline you play through, and some adjustable difficulty settings to mix things up.

I think it's an underrated and underexposed title to be honest. Most people I've talked to about it never heard of it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, the story of Green Hell is Extremely Not a white savior archtype. The hostile natives are a recent and understandably xenophobic offshoot of the tribes caused by your character and his eventual employers loving with them, exploiting them, starting a global media frenzy around them and exposing them to diseases that mostly wiped them out before the game starts.

And yeah, the map is static. The survival mode juggles around the locations of some findable equipment compared to the story mode, but the map is completely set in stone.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, the story of Green Hell is Extremely Not a white savior archtype. The hostile natives are a recent and understandably xenophobic offshoot of the tribes caused by your character and his eventual employers loving with them, exploiting them, starting a global media frenzy around them and exposing them to diseases that mostly wiped them out before the game starts.

And yeah, the map is static. The survival mode juggles around the locations of some findable equipment compared to the story mode, but the map is completely set in stone.

Yeah, if anything, once you finish the whole story, it pretty much deconstructs that archetype entirely. It's almost a warning against it.

Then you play the DLC, which sort of winds back some of that goodwill. I'd skip that part, it's nowhere near as fun as the campaign.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Then you play the DLC, which sort of winds back some of that goodwill. I'd skip that part, it's nowhere near as fun as the campaign.

I like the dlc for the big new map to futz about in and that's pretty much it. It's story... I literally can't remember what it is other than Destroy X "bad" Native Encampments.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to play the old Stranded II freeware game on a whim and while the game is very cool I also feel like it wants me to get a repetitive strain injury

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chainchompz posted:

it's pretty good, very reminiscent of The Forest without monsters if you've played that, but much like The Forest there's a lot of very fancy homesteading mechanics that are mostly pointless if not counterproductive in the singleplayer campaign

Like Scruffpuff said there's a certain point you reach fairly quickly where you have remedies on hand for all the things that'll put you in a death spiral and from that point you're basically unstoppable. It's basically impossible to get lost once you figure out how to read coordinates on the map, the biggest challenge for the latter half of the game is getting enough nuts in your mouth

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 11, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Voxx posted:

looking at getting into vintage story finally. are there any QOL or solid mods to use for first time playing people recommend or is just vanilla the way to go? game seems expansive by itself.

The two are the prospecting pick mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235 and the map labels mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/automapmarkers.

The game doesn't really need any expanding of features, just some QOL things.

After you've played it a few times, there are mods to make caves more interesting, or generate meteors that may or may not explode on the ground, complex bee interactions (no more skeps for you, langstroth haver), new weapons, new animals... whatever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wait what are the ones that make caves more interesting, I've been looking for mods that add less poo poo ruins or more point to going down there and haven't had much luck

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There are a couple:

Cave Content (More flavour than actual stuff to do, but functions as a source of temporal gears if you play with drifters modded out)
More Dungeons (This one seems the best out of the ones I've looked at)
Dungeons and Shafts (Seems a bit too aggressive in frequency from the preview vid, also simplistic designs)

Also the (stable) update after the next one is slated to be a big ol' dungeon/ruin expansion thinger I assume, given they are adding a metric fuckload of dungeon assets for the current next update.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 11, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've got a basic PZ question - when it comes to making a tent kit, the wiki says you need four tent pegs or four wooden stakes, depending on which 'recipe' you use. Does this mean I can mix and match, though? From memory I've got 2-3 tent pegs - so would I be able to make 1-2 stakes and use it like that, or would I have to get a full set of one or the other?
Also, how do I get sturdy sticks? The wiki doesn't seem to say. I know I've had them in the past when I last played years ago, but I've got no idea now. Are they just something that appear when you cut down a tree, or something?

Since yeah, although I've been building up a decent compound at the Muldraugh relay station, I'm thinking of setting up a campfire and tent (with a satchel containing some basics) out to the north past a hole in my fence, just in case I get overrun via the main gate to the south and need to retreat into the woods for a while.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think im tapping out of Vintage Story. This much effort and tedium to find tin paints a pretty bad picture for mining in the future. I feel like finding tin requires higher level gear and access to things that having copper doesn't provide. Cave gen seems a lot less friendly too because so many things are huge vertical drops and the monsters are shockingly powerful. Maybe ill make one last attempt this weekend before shelving it until there's more content or a smoother progression curve, because the current one feels like a wall.

I get that i can worldgen myself a richer world but I like playing with people online. meh.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Then don’t go for tin, go for bismuthine/sphalerite or even find some gold/silver (in quartz or via panning bony soil) to get you to iron.

Bismuth bronze and black bronze respectively have been far easier for me than finding consistent tin/cassiterite.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

I've got a basic PZ question - when it comes to making a tent kit, the wiki says you need four tent pegs or four wooden stakes, depending on which 'recipe' you use. Does this mean I can mix and match, though? From memory I've got 2-3 tent pegs - so would I be able to make 1-2 stakes and use it like that, or would I have to get a full set of one or the other?
Also, how do I get sturdy sticks? The wiki doesn't seem to say. I know I've had them in the past when I last played years ago, but I've got no idea now. Are they just something that appear when you cut down a tree, or something?

Since yeah, although I've been building up a decent compound at the Muldraugh relay station, I'm thinking of setting up a campfire and tent (with a satchel containing some basics) out to the north past a hole in my fence, just in case I get overrun via the main gate to the south and need to retreat into the woods for a while.

For the tents it's either one or the other, you can't mix and match. You need a plank and a saw for the sturdy sticks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

For the tents it's either one or the other, you can't mix and match. You need a plank and a saw for the sturdy sticks.

Ah, drat. Fair enough - I guess I'll just have a few loose tent pegs floating around, for a while! Good to know though, thanks for that - especially about the sturdy sticks.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the biggest challenge for the latter half of the game is getting enough nuts in your mouth

this is a problem i have irl as well. verisimilitude

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

buglord posted:

I think im tapping out of Vintage Story. This much effort and tedium to find tin paints a pretty bad picture for mining in the future. I feel like finding tin requires higher level gear and access to things that having copper doesn't provide. Cave gen seems a lot less friendly too because so many things are huge vertical drops and the monsters are shockingly powerful. Maybe ill make one last attempt this weekend before shelving it until there's more content or a smoother progression curve, because the current one feels like a wall.

I get that i can worldgen myself a richer world but I like playing with people online. meh.
Prospecting for ore is far and away the worst and most unsatisfying part of the game, and even finally finding the ore deposit doesn't feel satisfying except in a "well I'm glad that's over" kind of way. If it just gave you a map marker or x-ray and said "right here, here's the ore" the game would lose almost nothing except for long stretches of tedium.

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, in fact most of the native population has a very good reason to hate you, specifically, as an individual. You came in marching in and hosed everything up. Every problem is literally your fault. The best possible ending is you finding a way to slow or stop the damage you've done to the rest of the world, but the tribes are pretty much still lost forever because of you, and tens of millions of people are dead..

Scruffpuff posted:

You're still mostly just cleaning up poo poo you caused, and the tribes only need help because they're decimated because of poo poo you did anyway. I still agree it's definitely more framing you as a hero than the main story though, for sure.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 12, 2022

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Vib Rib posted:

Prospecting for ore is far and away the worst and most unsatisfying part of the game, and even finally finding the ore deposit doesn't feel satisfying except in a "well I'm glad that's over" kind of way. If it just gave you a map marker or x-ray and said "right here, here's the ore" the game would lose almost nothing except for long stretches of tedium.

Finding ore can be annoying, but keep in mind that iron deposits are loving gigantic, and once you get to iron there's no reason to go back to bronze so it's not something you actually have to do very often once you get beyond bronze.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Koobze posted:

I also like one that increases the duration fuel burns, it's excessive but I don't find that mechanic to be super engaging, it's enough for me that there are different fuel types and I'd rather not need to refuel the fireplace constantly.

I've actually gotten a somewhat abnormal amount of enjoyment out of closely monitoring the fuel in a fire pit when cooking something to minmax my fuel usage, ever since I discovered how exploitable the "gradually deteriorating heat" mechanic really is for anything that doesn't need to be alloyed at 800+ degrees. And even then you can kinda stagger your charcoal usage more than you might think.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

juicefest posted:

Finding ore can be annoying, but keep in mind that iron deposits are loving gigantic, and once you get to iron there's no reason to go back to bronze so it's not something you actually have to do very often once you get beyond bronze.
I don't know how this does anything but further cement the idea that prospecting is dumb and wastes your time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I respect the design space, because like everything else in the game they want ore to feel like a task with a definitive process. It was always my opinion that the implementation of some kind of sluice to automate panning would make mining exploration feel a lot less punishing, because you'd have a somewhat regular small scale way to produce bronze that would either supply you with the tools you need for exploratory mining or the anvil you need to work iron.

There was a good minecraft mod for sluice mining that was integrated into the Rustic Waters seablock modpack, and it was a neat change of pace. Honestly, I really like the fact that you end up with structures built for purpose in the world, and I'd generally just love to see more of that. One of the better things about good survival games like, say, Valheim is that you are incentivized to build things in a fashion that makes sense with even decorative blocks serving a gameplay purpose.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

I respect the design space, because like everything else in the game they want ore to feel like a task with a definitive process. It was always my opinion that the implementation of some kind of sluice to automate panning would make mining exploration feel a lot less punishing, because you'd have a somewhat regular small scale way to produce bronze that would either supply you with the tools you need for exploratory mining or the anvil you need to work iron.

I've been fairly lucky in that for all but one game, prospecting for a new metal tier - and finding said metal - wasn't a fruitless experience. One game though was absolutely awful with finding iron in multiplayer. We dropped close to 100 shafts in a poor hematite area, then had to run almost a full day to find the next poor hit. Of course, we had a decent sphalerite and bismuthine hit, and an absolutely massive copper hit, so even our bronze (let alone copper) wouldn't wear out for a long time but... ugh.

This is why I also like to decrease world sizes, it feels like you'll run into different ore plots more frequently, meaning if you're in a poor area you can readjust rather quickly. Current game I started in an area that only had a miniscule hit of cinnabar, then took a half day run and found a high copper, exceptional cassiterite, and even a few different iron hits.

An automated panning solution once you're in copper or even bronze tier though sounds like a great idea. Another thing to connect to the windmill!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

chainchompz posted:

It's good and it has some neat nutrition mechanics that aren't as grognard stupid as SCUM

Related funny story my wife was excitingly telling me about a game ad she saw that allowed you to raise capybaras, and when I asked about the name she said Green Hell. I had to break it to her that you were raising them to eat them, not pet them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I mean, nobody is gonna make you eat them if you want to pet them :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean, nobody is gonna make you eat them if you want to pet them :shrug:

Dying of thirst, hunger, and a snakebike, holding my digital capybara's face in my hands: "Live, my dear Coconut. Be free, your shackles are undone"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that is the real victory :hai:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't played the game (though I have a pretty good idea of what it's about from this thread), but I think I would become more than a little suspicious that it's not a cute fun-time ranching game about raising your capybaras to love and cuddle once I found out it's called "Green Hell" lol.

But from what I know about it, if everything else you have to do in that game, violence included, is a price you are willing to pay to have a happy capybara farm probably not, lol, who am I to judge?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/CAPYBARA_MAN/status/1557898608309067777

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
In PZ how hard is it to get a car? I need to move my stuff to a new house with more space and I really don't want to have to make 10 trips.

:edit: And I guess how much a liability is a car? What with the noise and all.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A working car with a decent trunk - or 4-6 seats - is such a huge boon that other than the most specific of playthroughs you should try to get one. Some of the construction type vehicles are a little loud, especially with a bad muffler, but think maybe .36 special or 9mm loud, not shotgun loud.

A working car is almost the first thing I try to find. A car that fits my specifications is only a few down the list. Even better with trailers these days, you can be carrying around 200 pounds of stuff in car + trailer.

At default settings, finding a working car usually isn't too hard, but far easier in parking lots where they're concentrated. Ignore the ones abandoned in the road, they're usually trashed. Make sure to have a gas can on you, and ideally with some fuel (perhaps siphoned from aforementioned abandoned cars). If you see a car/cars out front of somewhere, killing the zombies in the area or looting the building they're in front of could get you the keys. Keys are sometimes also ditched on the ground nearby (~20 tiles or so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How do y'all feel about Grounded? I played a little bit and it seems pretty neat, although I found most of the bugs insanely deadly.