Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Travic posted:

In PZ how hard is it to get a car? I need to move my stuff to a new house with more space and I really don't want to have to make 10 trips.

:edit: And I guess how much a liability is a car? What with the noise and all.

It requires a bit of luck, but not too much, if you're willing to settle for a fixer-upper. Sometimes you can find the key to a car lying on the ground near it, or in the building it's parked in front of, or just sitting in the glove box. If you can't find the keys, you can hotwire it with 2 mechanics and 1 electronics skill (or the Burglar profession). High condition cars are more likely to have locked doors, but you can break a window to get inside and then do the hotwiring if need be.

The other potential issue is getting gas. A lot of the time a car will have a bit of gas in it, but if it's empty you might want to look for another car that does have gas and siphon some over, or just use that car instead. You'll also want to get a gas station up and running for resupply. If the power's out you'll want to plop a generator down at the pumps so you can run them.

Noise-wise cars aren't that big a liability. Just don't honk the horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/6QnvPC4.mp4

Stumbled across this triumph of physics and it got me wondering, has there been anything new in Valheim since hearth?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cool Dad posted:

How do y'all feel about Grounded? I played a little bit and it seems pretty neat, although I found most of the bugs insanely deadly.

The survival mechanics and visual design is cool but I hate finding the labs. Seemingly every single one involves doing a frantic run past enemies you functionally cannot kill but will 2HKO you, all to find the one path that will lead up to the area you need to go. It's infuriating.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cool Dad posted:

How do y'all feel about Grounded? I played a little bit and it seems pretty neat, although I found most of the bugs insanely deadly.

Grounded is really good but yes most bugs are very difficult to fight. And occasionally there are issues with getting swarmed by too many ants or larva to fight off, forcing you to retreat.

You would think from the cartoony design fighting a ladybug would be a chill experience but it is not- those things are beasts if you're not well equipped.

In some cases it does add a lot to the survival experience though. Seeing the equivalent of a 20 foot tall spider coming towards you, that you know you can't beat, is an adrenaline pumping experience both graphically and in gameplay

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here is an interesting one,

quote:

Jagex is making an open-world survival game set in ‘RuneScape’ universe
The "soon-to-be-revealed" project will be an open-world survival game, set in the world of 'RuneScape' and built in Unreal Engine 5

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/jagex-is-making-an-open-world-survival-game-set-in-runescape-universe-3254915

Could be interesting!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In PZ a car is pretty great, the combination of high mobility and high storage space is extremely good. There are a ton of areas on the map that aren't realistically reachable by foot but contain great stuff. It's not essential per se, you can survive years and years in the woods with some real basic tools, but it's a big quality of life improvement and makes it easier to reach a lot of cool places

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Having a car also makes it way easier to steal furniture if you want to play Apocalypse Sims

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Having a car also makes it way easier to steal furniture if you want to play Apocalypse Sims

And/or download the Working Arcade Machines mod for boredom/happiness benefits.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
My favorite for moving things by hand is the trolleys and shopping carts mod

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The bike mod is pretty nice too, still early in production so it's uh, a bit janky, but it's almost relaxing zipping down the main strip of Rosewood with a backpack full of Pepsi and books :unsmith:

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Tarezax posted:

Just don't honk the horn.

Factually wrong. Use the horn like the king it is, and lead every zed out of town with your annoying car, then drive back on an alternate route, works like, 30% of the time

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Tow a broke emergency vehicle and use the siren for exciting times

I managed to bring in enough zombies that the server was culling them if I moved more than a block away.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sometimes I toot my horn, then step outside with an axe.

I literally cleaned out Rosewood. Couldn't find any more zombies. Lumberjack is the best profession.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah horns are cool and good

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cool Dad posted:

I enjoyed the little bit of grounded that I played but it didn't quite fit my friend group's multiplayer paradigm, since you can't, like, host a dedicated server and progress is tied to the specific characters rather than a given player.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Finally checked back on the Vintage Story multiplayer server I frequent. Trying to figure out what to add to my base.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Goddamn that's pretty

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I made a square dirt hovel. :saddumb:

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

SexyBlindfold posted:

Finally checked back on the Vintage Story multiplayer server I frequent. Trying to figure out what to add to my base.

A fruit orchard behind the house and to the left would be lovely, I think.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I struggled to even make a dirt hovel last time I played, looks amazing!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The first time I played Minecraft, I didn't know you needed to read the wiki to figure out how to do everything, so I lit a line of Redstone on fire and burned down my dirt hovel. :shobon:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Animal-Mother posted:

I lit a line of Redstone on fire and burned down my dirt hovel. :shobon:

how

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Danaru posted:

Sometimes I toot my horn, then step outside with an axe.

I literally cleaned out Rosewood. Couldn't find any more zombies. Lumberjack is the best profession.

Same dude.
And it’s a broke profession, now that they’ve upped the swing speed and lowered the endurance used. But I don’t care if it’s lopsided, I can’t help but pick lumberjack now. Pickaxes are amazing, btw.

I made it all the way to the general store in Westpoint, coming from the east, when the update happened and it seemed to have respawned all zeds. I had 4,000 kills and felt too broken to go through all the effort again : (
But that was all axes and shotguns making the work (mostly) super simple. Love this game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Axe and other 2h swing weapons like bats were immensely more powerful a while ago because they would hit multiple targets per swing. There is still an option to do that but it's no longer the default. You absolutely should turn it back on though :black101:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

Please don't tell me I need to move the stairs back one tile. I might cry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What are you trying to do, put a box at the top of the stairs?

I would try picking up everything on the ground, maybe. Stairs also naturally create that tile of floor at the top of them, maybe that's an invalid spot for furniture?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah, it’s an invalid build spot. If you wanted to build a zombie proof base:

1) Build a small wall on the second+ floor, attach a rope, climb down and destroy the stairs.

2) build a wall with a crate right behind it. Currently, if the zombie encounters two consecutive blocks that it can’t walk through, it will ignore it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, so like a full sized wall, or a half-sized wall/fence? (Since they don't attack fences right? Only try to hop over them) Interesting, either way

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Cool Dad posted:

i loving love grounded, the world design is amazing. i play it with all the bugs set to passive so i don't have to hurt the little babies unless it's absolutely necessary

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, so like a full sized wall, or a half-sized wall/fence? (Since they don't attack fences right? Only try to hop over them) Interesting, either way

I tried and both appear to work equally as good, so I’ve tended towards the half height fence so that I can see where they are. If you’re in an area where they could spawn behind your wall, you’ll want to build a wall on that side as well so the zombies won’t attack the crates from behind either (you won’t be able to access the crate after, fyi).

I’ll try to post a pic later to show it in action.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to put a rain collector above the sink that's indoors. How should I do it? I heard it has to be one tile off and on the next level above.

Sorry the picture is dark. I can get a clear one if needed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Travic posted:

I'm trying to put a rain collector above the sink that's indoors. How should I do it? I heard it has to be one tile off and on the next level above.

Sorry the picture is dark. I can get a clear one if needed.

The barrel can be directly above or 1 tile off, including along the diagonal. Basically any of the 3x3 tiles above the sink will work. So assuming the sink is behind that window beneath the stairs, try putting barrels to the left and to the right of the spot you were originally trying to use

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

QuarkJets posted:

The barrel can be directly above or 1 tile off, including along the diagonal. Basically any of the 3x3 tiles above the sink will work. So assuming the sink is behind that window beneath the stairs, try putting barrels to the left and to the right of the spot you were originally trying to use

Ah. The sides work. The landing does not work. Oh well. I also totally manage to fall off the platform. Whoops. Assuming I can get level 7 carpentry I can put the good rain barrel up there to have enough water.

Thank you for the help.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

HelloSailorSign posted:

The two are the prospecting pick mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235 and the map labels mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/automapmarkers.

The game doesn't really need any expanding of features, just some QOL things.

After you've played it a few times, there are mods to make caves more interesting, or generate meteors that may or may not explode on the ground, complex bee interactions (no more skeps for you, langstroth haver), new weapons, new animals... whatever.

these have been helpful, thanks.

game is weird and punishing, but in a good survival way and so far not so bad. we setup a small dirt and wood house and after a few days started hooting and hollering very loudly despite not starving for once. after some research it was realized we built somewhere with bad feng shui negative temporal stability so we have to move.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've been playing a fair bit of Grounded with a friend. It's kind of a survival game but it's mostly an exploration/adventure game I think. The food and water really serves to limit how long you can explore outside of your bases rather than being the goal.

I've been really enjoying it. Because the map is handmade rather than procedurally generated you encounter these really interesting and fun setpieces when looking for labs or exploring for new materials. And because you are so small, the game is all about perspective. Finding a high point or new area reveals other places of interest that you simply cannot see from the ground.

The combat is pretty difficult, bugs do a lot of damage and you really have to avoid a lot of them unless you want their parts for crafting. You have to learn and perfect block/parry enemy attacks to do well, but as you get better equipment and upgrade it some bugs become much harder to kill.

I think it is best played with one other person in 2-3 hour sessions. Enough to achieve an objective or two, or make some new gear. The game really opens up with new areas and new creatures at a good pace once you get established.

I really can't recommend it enough, but I think it's critical to play with other people.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've just about tapped out Riverside. There are still a few skill books I need so I was planning to head to West Point to check there. What preparations do I need to make for a trip like this? Food should be easy. I'm worried about water. The water has been shut off so no more free water. Bring a bunch of cooking pots with water in them?

Do you generally bring a generator with you to power a gas station too?

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Travic posted:

So I've just about tapped out Riverside. There are still a few skill books I need so I was planning to head to West Point to check there. What preparations do I need to make for a trip like this? Food should be easy. I'm worried about water. The water has been shut off so no more free water. Bring a bunch of cooking pots with water in them?

Do you generally bring a generator with you to power a gas station too?

Taps will still have water in them, so I wouldn’t bother lugging around a ton of water (literally). Just keep filling up as you clear out houses and you’ll be golden, water scarcity affects those doing country living or farming. West Point can be really populated, so it depends on what your plan is, but in general I’ve found it easiest to clear the southern portion of the town compared to north. I’ll usually clear a path on the same road that the general store, gas station, and downtown area are located on. You’ll end up at the bookstore if you take this route, and the resistance will be by far the greatest around the bookstore.

Coming from Riverside into West Point can be challenging, as you don’t run into any warehouses to keep yourself armed. But if you’re clearing houses/sections of towns to make paths, you should be totally fine on getting food, water, sleep, and even melee weapons out of the homes you’ve cleared.

I usually don’t lug around the generator until I know I can drive it up to a gas station, but it’s definitely a good item to bring with you and then stash it outside your car, so it’s close on hand. The gas station you’ll run into next to downtown is pretty well woods in on two sides, and there’s even a general store across from it, that has a second story apartment above the store, and that always makes for a sweet temporary base

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah there's a few days' (at least) worth of drinking water in every building, between sinks and tubs and toilets.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok good. So I don't need to set up a complete water system in every town I visit. Nice.

My plan was to work my way to the school, grab the books I need, then head home. I want to get all my high level carpentry stuff done before this character dies.

Also side note. Levelling mechanics is miserable.

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Love that sweet apocalypse urinal water.

You can also drink directly from rivers, lakes and puddles without getting sick, you just can't bottle it without it turning unsafe.