Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ShootaBoy posted:

It is very depressing. My first run ended with me sending my people on a suicide mission to kill a particular enemy after he shot and killed one of my original survivors.

Counterpoint: It can be depressing. My first run ended with us surviving the war with only one major scare (a serious illness that sent me scrambling for medicine) and three reloads to figure out the jankiness that is the combat system.

The thing to remember about This War Of Mine is that it doesn't lay on the grimdark the way that a lot of games do. It presents you with set pieces and allows you to deal with them in a horrible way if you so choose, but it is by no means required. After you figure out a few critical things, the game is actually quite easy.

A couple of these tips, if you're interested:

• All bad states (sickness, injury, depression) self-perpetuate and will not simply get better. You have to do something about them. This sounds bad until you realize the next thing.
  • Sleep cures everything. EVERYTHING. If you get a message that someone is ill, immediately put them on bed rest and keep them in bed the whole day. They will never progress past Slightly Sick and you can sell all your medicine.
  • If you have a character with a special skill (such as Bruno the cook), they only need to INITIATE the action to get the lower resources bonus. You can, for example, queue up cooked food with Bruno, then once he starts the task, send him to bed. Anyone else can then complete it at no penalty.
  • The shelter can be cleared out in the first day if you keep on task and focus. Be sure to do so.
  • When Franko comes around, buy all the wood you can from him. You need a lot of it and it sucks to haul it back to the shelter.
  • Get a Hatchet and bring it on scavenging missions when you're looking to get fuel. You can break down wooden furniture at locations and bring back tons of Fuel. The first abandoned area you get can yield 40+.
  • Have an idea of the poo poo you want to build and make a shopping list for when you go scavenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Can someone sell me on The Long Dark. It seems like a really content light survival sim from what I've seen. There are only 15 crafting recipes and the only objective is to survive as long as you can but there's nothing really to do as you try to survive as long as you can. Is there any sort of story? Interesting places to explore? A lot of the videos I've watched trying to wrap my brain around the game have been incredibly boring. It seems pretty popular so I feel like I've missed something somewhere. What makes it different from the more content filled survival games out there?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's there to explain? It's a chill atmospheric survival game. I like it cause it's explicitly not about combat or any kind of long-term goal like building a settlement or something. It's just you vs nature and your feeble human body that needs sustenance.

It's not particularly deep, but the extremely limited resources means you are constantly exploring to find more food and resources to stave off your inevitable death. So like I said, it's a chill game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I usually turn off killer wolfs and just survive. It's nice and atmospheric and the game is so huge you're always running into something new/different. It's not really meant to be punishing like most survival games. It's mostly post-apocalyptic camping sim with various degrees of difficulty.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

frank.club posted:

I've got a guy well on track for the day 50 achievement. I'll run him up there as soon as that happens. Do you know the route to the mountain?

It's in Pleasant Valley. I'll get more specific in spoilers.

It's past the Hunter's Blind and Skeeter's Ridge. You'll see a ruined house, an outhouse and a rope leading up.

I just reached the summit, snagged all of the useful stuff and made it not only off the mountain but back to my home base as well. On day 174. I nearly died when I made refuge in a cave that a bear also called home. Fortunately I had a fire going and killed him with a single arrow. :smug:

FalloutGod posted:

Can someone sell me on The Long Dark. It seems like a really content light survival sim from what I've seen. There are only 15 crafting recipes and the only objective is to survive as long as you can but there's nothing really to do as you try to survive as long as you can. Is there any sort of story? Interesting places to explore? A lot of the videos I've watched trying to wrap my brain around the game have been incredibly boring. It seems pretty popular so I feel like I've missed something somewhere. What makes it different from the more content filled survival games out there?

You can turn on easy mode for a relaxing experience or pop on the harder difficulties for a challenge. It's an extremely desolate game and you're going to get out what you put in. I legitimately got an adrenaline rush when I got lost in a blizzard right around day 100 and barely made it to shelter on the verge of death. But I'm sure a lot of people would find it extremely boring and not rewarding in the slightest.

If you like hunting (or being hunted) by animals, managing your supplies and your inventory and weighing small decisions which potentially have huge impacts: it's the game for you. I like it because it's quiet, methodical and beautiful. The mechanics are simple to grasp but mastering them can actually be pretty difficult.

I'm looking forward to playing so I can check my snares, skin a deer and sharpen my tools.
:goonsay:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 18, 2015

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Also like, The Long Dark is still in early access. They haven't finished the darn thing, its gonna have a story eventually.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The big problem I have with hunting/defending myself from animals is that I can't shoot poo poo. I don't know why but the moment I get a gun and bullets it all goes downhill.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Reminder that Unreal World 3.3alpha is out for lifetime backers. The graphics update is huge, and only adds to the charm than it already had.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

BernieLomax posted:

Reminder that Unreal World 3.3alpha is out for lifetime backers. The graphics update is huge, and only adds to the charm than it already had.

Got some screenshots?

Wait I can just download it I paid for it way back when.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Has anyone mentioned Subnautica yet? It's a cool, spooky game where you try to survive on an alien water planet. That means building an underwater base and scavenging undersea reefs, caves, and Deeper areas. Full on underwater base building, gorgeous graphics, and you can get a submarine. Some deep sea horrors but not enough imo (yet). Still though, as far as survival games go I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

The big problem I have with hunting/defending myself from animals is that I can't shoot poo poo. I don't know why but the moment I get a gun and bullets it all goes downhill.

Drop slabs of meat if you're staring down a wolf (default key is 3). They'll go for the meat and not you. When it comes to bears: avoid at all costs. If they do come after you, light a torch ASAP and drop it at their feet. They don't path across fire so use that to your advantage until you can escape.

Torches work with wolves as well. Drop it at your feet (the holster key while it's lit) and use that to line up an easy shot.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Got some screenshots?

Wait I can just download it I paid for it way back when.

Yepp, just go to the lifetime member forum - if you don't have access, just send him a mail.

And have a basic screenshot from a familiar startup scenario.

edit:
Made a terrible image for comparison too! But it's not winter nor a forest so...

All sprites are redrawn, new lighting (at night), the "sun" image in the upper left corner now moves smoothly and reflects weather better. Weather engine is rewritten completely. Quests (new system) are currently disabled in alpha.

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The only different thing I see there is the character sprite?

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Yeah terrible screenshot(s), but actually all sprites (and I think most of the ground) is redrawn. In that screenie the log, cabin and trees including the upper-left display are all redrawn. It's not too obvious, but it absolutely looks better than it did.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Just reached the summit in the new area in The Long Dark. Getting up there is one hell of a trek, but totally worth it. One of the containers I found spat about 10 MRES at me.

For those who have explored the whole map:

Other than the tail section at the summit, can you find any more of the plane fuselage? I know there's a wing and another engine, but I've been wondering when I'm going to stumble across a forward section with a cannibalistic South American rugby team sheltering inside it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BernieLomax posted:

Yeah terrible screenshot(s), but actually all sprites (and I think most of the ground) is redrawn. In that screenie the log, cabin and trees including the upper-left display are all redrawn. It's not too obvious, but it absolutely looks better than it did.

I disagree, I think it looks bloody awful compared. The graphics were fine before, its the UI and actually playing the game that needed fixing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

Just reached the summit in the new area in The Long Dark. Getting up there is one hell of a trek, but totally worth it. One of the containers I found spat about 10 MRES at me.

For those who have explored the whole map:

Other than the tail section at the summit, can you find any more of the plane fuselage? I know there's a wing and another engine, but I've been wondering when I'm going to stumble across a forward section with a cannibalistic South American rugby team sheltering inside it.

There are two engines and two wings and some random cargo strewn about . It should also be said that each cargo container has TWO compartments in it, not just one.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Considering The Forest during the Steam winter sale (if it goes on sale??) -- Thoughts on this? Initial impressions from watching twitch streams make it seem interesting.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Could any of you guys recommend good coop survival games? Something along the lines of Dont Starve Together.

We've played DST a lot and I was curious if something else that's coop with good replayability exists?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

dylguy90 posted:

Has anyone mentioned Subnautica yet? It's a cool, spooky game where you try to survive on an alien water planet. That means building an underwater base and scavenging undersea reefs, caves, and Deeper areas. Full on underwater base building, gorgeous graphics, and you can get a submarine. Some deep sea horrors but not enough imo (yet). Still though, as far as survival games go I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

I picked it up and played it for a few hours. My initial impression was that it shows a lot of promise and I definitely will play it on full release, but right now the EA nature of the game rears its head a bit too often. I ran into a number of items with no tooltips, and the way the game handles LOD on terrain is pretty buggy.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
How is hurt world, the videos seem good

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
just bought the long dark, runs like poo poo on my mid-2009 mac pro on osx. goddamn it why can't they build good drivers for os x? i tried this poo poo in windows 7 via bootcamp and it runs a lot better.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

just bought the long dark, runs like poo poo on my mid-2009 mac pro on osx. goddamn it why can't they build good drivers for os x? i tried this poo poo in windows 7 via bootcamp and it runs a lot better.

Make sure vsync is off. My frames with lighting with vsync on are garbage. I also run better with medium/high in some areas and low in others. Tool around with it a little bit.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
What is it with PC games and vsync? My entire life playing PC games turning that poo poo off has always increased performance and has never made anything better by having it on.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I love how even after the graphic update Unreal World continues to look like it was ripped from a shareware site circa 1998. Never change.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FalloutGod posted:

What is it with PC games and vsync? My entire life playing PC games turning that poo poo off has always increased performance and has never made anything better by having it on.

For me a lot of games will have screen tearing if I don't use vsync. I was never able to determine why I always have this issue. Is it a monitor thing?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For me a lot of games will have screen tearing if I don't use vsync. I was never able to determine why I always have this issue. Is it a monitor thing?

It has something to do with frame rate vs. monitor refresh rate. Basically your monitor is redrawing whatever data is there at a certain rate (Hz), the PC itself is processing and redrawing the data being presented at a different rate (FPS). If <something something I don't know something something> happens, the monitor will refresh while the PC is only halfway through the next frame, resulting in tearing, as part of the monitor will be showing the frame that is now occurring while the rest will be showing the frame that just occurred. Vsynch fixes this..somehow, I'm guessing by delaying the refreshing of the monitor until it can perform a check to see if the frame is finished rendering.

Why this happens in some cases, but not others is a total mystery to me. If you don't want to turn on vsynch you could try fiddling with the refresh rate of your monitor.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 26, 2015

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Anyone try Savage Lands? It's Early Access, but it's cheap and they make a good looking trailer.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
despite playing the long dark on the lowest graphics this game is still really, really pretty. shows what solid art direction does as opposed to just pretty particle effects or super high-polygon models.

i really, REALLY wish this kind of graphics gets more popular with developers.

the game is really good, but it's really missing one thing: skis or snow shoes. best way to move around in the snow is skis, saves a ton of energy and you can travel a lot faster than on foot. i really hope they add skis or snowshoes at some point.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 27, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just bought The Forest and it's really good so far. A little rough here and there but the building interface is nice (you can "build" blueprints and place them, then start building, allowing you to plan things out in advance). Setting up outposts and safe areas is pretty simple to do so exploring isn't too much of a slog.

The cannibals are pretty varied as well. I found this huge cannibal with arms and legs attached to his back crying alone in the woods once. :smith: Didn't even react when I walked next to him. Another time a skinny small cannibal (a kid?) followed me for miles but never attacked. Just watched me chop trees down and gather poo poo.

Apparently the AI responds according to the player's actions and I've noticed that as well. Once I started setting traps and actively attacking them they starting to hunt me down and get more aggressive. At one point I had to chop up their bodies and make a macabre effigy of body parts and light it on fire to keep them away and scared. After I stopped going after them they started to give me some breathing room.

Sadly the The Forest consists of just....the forest. There's hardly anything to see or discover. So far after 4 hours I found a small camping tent and a small boat. I haven't been in the caves yet because I'm too scared. The caves here are dark as poo poo and are similar to the caves in Dear Esther. Hopefully the flesh out more areas to find and stuff. A snowy area was added but I haven't found it yet. The Forest is huge as gently caress and easy to get lost in.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Dark's story mode is slated for a spring release (Teaser)

Should be pretty interesting, since this is the big thing they've been working toward from the beginning. They were originally going to remove the sandbox mode once the story mode was released but with the popularity of sandbox mode right now that's not going to happen.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The Long Dark's story mode is slated for a spring release (Teaser)

Should be pretty interesting, since this is the big thing they've been working toward from the beginning. They were originally going to remove the sandbox mode once the story mode was released but with the popularity of sandbox mode right now that's not going to happen.

that would have been a poo poo move, yeah. unless it would be like, sandbox + story if you choose to advance it.

i'm stuck in a loop of scavenge for a deer cadaver, get enough food not to starve for a day, go in the lighthouse, eat drink sleep and then go back out and hope to stumble upon a cadaver. i need a gun or a bow bad but no luck so far.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

that would have been a poo poo move, yeah. unless it would be like, sandbox + story if you choose to advance it.

i'm stuck in a loop of scavenge for a deer cadaver, get enough food not to starve for a day, go in the lighthouse, eat drink sleep and then go back out and hope to stumble upon a cadaver. i need a gun or a bow bad but no luck so far.

I think it's interesting that they apparently weren't really trying to make the survival game that they did. I think that's why this game plays a little oddly, how it's so difficult and it seems like things aren't really built for the long term.

E:
And yeah I usually am also just stumbling around between various structures for brief periods in between sleeping away half the day.

EE: I suppose the same can be said for my real life, makes u think

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 27, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's interesting that they apparently weren't really trying to make the survival game that they did. I think that's why this game plays a little oddly, how it's so difficult and it seems like things aren't really built for the long term.

yeah, i like how it feels like it's not designed to like, entertain you as much as a lot of the other survival games. no zombies, no building, pretty rudimentary crafting, no nothing basically. just great scenery. and despite or maybe because of this, it's the best survival game i've played so far, hah.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Large buildings, cars (backseats), deer stands and ranger outposts are all good spots to check for gun spawns. Until you know the maps though, it essentially amounts to blind luck. If you really search woods, the edges of maps typically, you can find quite a few birch and maple saplings to craft bows and arrows.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 28, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Bremen posted:

Anyone try Savage Lands? It's Early Access, but it's cheap and they make a good looking trailer.

I wouldn't mind knowing how it is too. It looks like a grittier, more survival-oriented version of Skyrim, which could be good fun.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

fennesz posted:

Large buildings, cars (backseats), deer stands and ranger outposts are all good spots to check for gun spawns. Until you know the maps though, it essentially amounts to blind luck. If you really search woods, the edges of maps typically, you can find quite a few birch and maple saplings to craft bows and arrows.

Look under stuff too. I once found a hunting rifle barely reachable under a bed in a cabin. And keep rechecking, because I think occasionally stuff rarely respawns - I'm pretty sure I've found an extra sewing kit or whetstone in places I'd searched before, although I could be mistaken.

FalloutGod posted:

It really feels like a game you'll either love completely, or hate. It wasn't until I'd made it past the 25 day mark that it really started to click for me. Up until that point everything seemed frustrating. Wolf attacks ruined the clothes I'd just repaired, what little ammo I'd managed to scavenge ran low too quickly, and I couldn't seem to keep from finding myself starving or freezing by the end of the day. Now I'm on my way to the 200 day mark, most of my clothes turned out to be useless compared to the much warmer wolf/deer/rabbit skin versions I've made, the bow and arrows I craft are a lot more efficient (and replenish-able) than the rife, and fresh meat is plentiful enough that I don't worry so much about scavenging for canned foods (although the warmth bonus is still nice when working outdoors).

I'm always on the lookout for coffee and tea when I can find it (although that's mostly gone too), already scarce sewing kits were easily replaced by hooks and tackle, and dwindling medicine supplies have given way to natural remedies I collect from stumps and bushes (there need to be more and varied types of these). Once I learned the wolf and torch technique I didn't have to worry as much about getting attacked, except by bears. Nearly mauled to death by one on day 60 I barely managed to bandage myself up at 7% and sleep for a few days to recover, and I give them a wide berth now (unless I need the meat - which surprisingly provided it's own challenge figuring out how to collect and cook that much of it).

It feels like playing the hero from my favorite snow-survival movie. It's fun to drop in and play a day or two, sometimes I spend the day collecting firewood or checking snares - if there's a blizzard I stay inside and mend clothes or boil water. With so many days under my belt now I find it particularly tense getting trapped outside in a snowstorm, or lost in the fog. It's also fun to discover a new area and slowly watch it transform from an abandoned residence to a new safehouse as I slowly chop up the furniture and fixtures for spare firewood and metal, and cover the floors with cured hides, guts, and piles of firewood.

Early access means I feel like I'm starting to press against the limits of the provided maps - hopefully there will be a few more added, and if story mode fits in with sandbox instead of being linear I can see switching over to it instead. Whatever they add now, at this point I feel like I've already gotten more than my money's worth.

\/\/\/\/ Seasons would be nice, something other than snow. That made me think that they could carry the survival structure over to something like surviving in a desert - water would be more important and you'd be avoiding heat instead of cold and looking for shade instead of shelter (although I guess that could be kind of samey it might be fun).

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I think if the game suffers from any one thing it's that, there's not an awful lot to do. In some ways it's as bleak as what it represents. I think there's room to fill this out a little - a story mode might help with that. I know the devs have struggled with giving the player things to do during the forced downtimes the bad weather creates.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 29, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ what this guy said. it's basically the only survival game where the point is just that, survival instead of zombies or w/e.

i know this is a bit of a pipe dream but i really wish they'd add seasons at some point in the future.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the unreal world but less janky and with less to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The best and worst part of TLD is that the team is so focused. Best because they're pretty good at making updates and are building into a pretty cohesive product. Worst because it means the answer to any "will the game ever have x" question is no.