Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bremen posted:

Anyone try Savage Lands? It's Early Access, but it's cheap and they make a good looking trailer.

Savage Lands is great for a few hours, but lacks longevity. It's more akin to games like Rust than something like The Long Dark, but it can have some great moments like when you notice the dragon is actually flying towards you and burns down your entire town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Sounds like the unreal world but less janky and with less to do.

a game with TDL's engine and setting but with as much content as unreal world would be the only game i'd need.

the game is going pretty good for me, i've got quite a bit of meat as well as three wolf pelts and a bunch of sapling curing. i've got a lot of canned food and soda as well. only problem is, half of my stuff is at the logging camp and half at the trappers homestead. it's a long way and i've only got 1 bullet with me as well as over 50 kg's of poo poo to haul back to the homestead. it's gonna be tedious, 2-3 trips and have to be constantly on the lookout.

i wish i could mod the game just a bit to make the day/night cycle a bit slower. also who the gently caress has to eat two kilos of meat every day just to survive?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 29, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I want a survival game that's basically just Harvest Moon in the wilderness. Can someone make that happen?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I want a survival game that's basically just Harvest Moon in the wilderness. Can someone make that happen?

where would you meet the helpful townsfolk and ladies to marry

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

also who the gently caress has to eat two kilos of meat every day just to survive?

Apparently arctic explorers burn 4500-7000 calories a day. They're probably moving around more than your character but I'd imagine a large part of that comes from the cold.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

meatsaw posted:

Look under stuff too. I once found a hunting rifle barely reachable under a bed in a cabin. And keep rechecking, because I think occasionally stuff rarely respawns - I'm pretty sure I've found an extra sewing kit or whetstone in places I'd searched before, although I could be mistaken.

This is a result of the new patch. Stuff occasionally spawns in. Whetstones, cleaning kits, tools, magnifying glasses, firestrikers, matches and random food all randomly appear. I've been in the farmhouse for 200 days and I'm still finding random junk on shelves.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I know some DayZ mods (standalone, and the original) let you farm, setup bases and even have a sort of economy going on. Probably not what you're looking for but it might scratch that itch.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2015

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

What do you guys think of Salt? http://store.steampowered.com/app/327860

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I played the demo and wasn't very impressed.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It's been a year since I've bought Long Dark and I still can't get into it. Combat is poo poo and so far all my attempts at survival boil down to hoard food and sleep all day. Fatigue drops so fast that I can barely bother exploring because why bother? I'm huffing and puffing like a 50-year old smoker anyways.

I've survived 50+ days like that and I only gave up out of boredom. This game REALLY needs a balance do-over badly. They've got a huge expanse of land and areas to explore but there's almost no reason, other than curiosity, to explore once you've got the base tools. It kind of reminds me of Robinson's Requiem to some degree. I had the same issues with that game that I have with Long Dark.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 2, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

It's been a year since I've bought Long Dark and I still can't get into it. Combat is poo poo and so far all my attempts at survival boil down to horde food and sleep all day. Fatigue drops so fast that I can barely bother exploring because why bother? I'm huffing and puffing like a 50-year old smoker anyways.

I've survived 50+ days like that and I only gave up out of boredom. This game REALLY needs a balance do-over badly. They've got a huge expanse of land and areas to explore but there's almost no reason, other than curiosity, to explore once you've got the base tools. It kind of reminds me of Robinson's Requiem to some degree. I had the same issues with that game that I have with Long Dark.

I agree that the dude should be in a lot better shape, it's ridiculous how he can't walk 200 meters without having to lie down for hours, hah. Also -20 is not THAT cold, even if it's windy. I grew up around the same latitudes as where the game is supposed to be set, on an island so it'd often be -10 to -20and windy as gently caress outside in the winter. We'd still hang out outside and drink beer, just put the beer in the snow so it won't freeze.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For all we know the protagonist could be a chubby Texan.

I'm waiting for the story mode until I play again.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I just wish they'd give us more options to tweak the difficulty. I'd just want to halve the fatigue loss and heat loss. Hunger and thirst are ok as they are. Right now the gameplay is too much juggling the different meters instead of exploring and surviving. It's a bit too gamey.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I just got the long dark last night. It certainly is a fun atmospheric survival game. I got bold after a few lucky days of survival and ended up dying lost and cold in the woods on my 4th night. I tried making a nice big fire and placing my bedroll next to it, but a blizzard killed me anyway. The crazy scramble to try to find shelter when I woke up freezing during the blizzard was about as exciting as any game I've ever played.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Worst because it means the answer to any "will the game ever have x" question is no.

Honestly, I'd rather have no than the total tear downs or pointless updates that some early access games have for community requests.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

I agree that the dude should be in a lot better shape, it's ridiculous how he can't walk 200 meters without having to lie down for hours,

Stop sprinting. You can literally walk from the end of Mystery Lake through the Ravine, Coastal Highway and get into Pleasant Valley in a day. If you don't sprint, you're not encumbered and the weather cooperates of course.

Dyna Soar posted:

I just wish they'd give us more options to tweak the difficulty. I'd just want to halve the fatigue loss and heat loss. Hunger and thirst are ok as they are. Right now the gameplay is too much juggling the different meters instead of exploring and surviving. It's a bit too gamey.

Well, yeah it's a sandbox survival game. Managing your supplies, thirst, hunger and body temperature is like the entirety of a survival sandbox game. What else were you expecting?

I'm playing This War of Mine through for the first time and I love it. Except my scavenger inevitably gets chain pistol whipped when he's brandishing a knife and I keep having to start over :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Can you dial down the zombies/monsters in Cataclysm to make it more post-apocalyptic survival rather than combat focused, or do the survival mechanics not have enough depth for that?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can adjust the zombie/monster frequency in the menu, but frankly the survival part by itself doesn't really carry the game. Once you know what to do it's fairly trivial to set up a self-sustaining base and survive pretty mich indefinitely.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Can you dial down the zombies/monsters in Cataclysm to make it more post-apocalyptic survival rather than combat focused, or do the survival mechanics not have enough depth for that?

Yes to both. I love Cataclysm, but even normally it's super easy to knock out all the basic survival stuff.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fennesz posted:

Stop sprinting. You can literally walk from the end of Mystery Lake through the Ravine, Coastal Highway and get into Pleasant Valley in a day. If you don't sprint, you're not encumbered and the weather cooperates of course.

yeah? i don't sprint that often but maybe i'm carrying a bit too much.

fennesz posted:

Well, yeah it's a sandbox survival game. Managing your supplies, thirst, hunger and body temperature is like the entirety of a survival sandbox game. What else were you expecting?

I'm playing This War of Mine through for the first time and I love it. Except my scavenger inevitably gets chain pistol whipped when he's brandishing a knife and I keep having to start over :(

i know, plus it's only a beta. still, i wish they'd add more options to tweak the difficulty.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah if you're carrying more than 60lbs you move a lot slower and tire out faster

E:
VVV yeah, also I meant 90 pounds and not 60

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ It's 40kg for anyone using metric.

Dyna Soar posted:

i know, plus it's only a beta. still, i wish they'd add more options to tweak the difficulty.

I think Voyager is a pretty good sweet spot. The weather is virtually identical from what I can tell but Voyager has like half of the wolf spawns that Stalker does, which just removes tedium in all honesty. Stalker just feels like Wolf Dodger 2016 but I guess some people are really into that.

And even sprinting just "once" so your stamina bar is used up will essentially put you at half fatigue, which is right around when you start losing carrying weight. This is the real thing that makes Timberwolf Mountain dangerous. You're forced to fatigue yourself to continue up.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So in This War of Mine I killed what I thought was a bandit in a locked apartment building near a market. I return the next day and the entire market place is looking to gun me down. Whoops.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The combat in This War Of Mine is almost entirely centered around taking someone by surprise and killing them instantly. All other fights are basically random and can turn against you her quickly. Most characters can kill from hiding places with a hatchet, but from a normal backstab only Roman and Arica can. If you want more details check the wiki.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Is the XB1 version of TLD any good? I'm assuming it's like Minecraft in that the updates come much, much less frequently than the PC version due to the extra hoops they need to jump through to push out patches.

Edit: Turns out there's a free trial. Seems updated to me. Very good game. Thanks thread.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 7, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coolguye posted:

The combat in This War Of Mine is almost entirely centered around taking someone by surprise and killing them instantly. All other fights are basically random and can turn against you her quickly. Most characters can kill from hiding places with a hatchet, but from a normal backstab only Roman and Arica can. If you want more details check the wiki.

Oh I know. My bodycount is asinine on this run. I just happened to kill the wrong person and no one done liked it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Digging The Long Dark, day two, already got my two hatchets and a knife.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone checked out Tharsis? Quill 18 did a playthrough on youtube and it looks decent, if a bit formulaic.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Digging The Long Dark, day two, already got my two hatchets and a knife.

Feel free to post trip report(s). I always really enjoy reading about new players digging into games I love.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't paying attention, and i froze to death harvesting a deer. :(

But now i'm keeping a diary.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 11, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

:canada: Make sure you're checking under shelves, stairs and stoves. The game likes to hide axes and knives in weird spots.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Think i'm on day 7 or something now.... whens a good target date to leave the lake area? I have a rifle and my bow poo poo is curing. I'm only pilgriming it at the moment, i'll go up against the bears and wolves after get used to the maps.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are there bears on Pilgrim? I was hoping to antagonize one on this playthrough.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, they do attack if you shoot at them apparently, one almost killed my brother on his first go. He shot it in the face from about 30 meters and it charged him, dropped his gun and lost all his bullets.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Think i'm on day 7 or something now.... whens a good target date to leave the lake area? I have a rifle and my bow poo poo is curing. I'm only pilgriming it at the moment, i'll go up against the bears and wolves after get used to the maps.

Totally up to you. You could stay there for 3000 days and probably be fine as long as you made runs to other areas for matches and other supplies.

I prefer Pleasant Valley to the other areas simply because it's easier to navigate and dodge predators. Predator ambushes tend to be the biggest resource sinks and avoiding them seem worth the trade-offs to me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are simple/quality tools of little value in TLD currently, or am I missing something? It seems like they used to be used to repair hatchets and knives, but now only work on can openers and storm lanterns, which don't see frequent use/degradation and the latter is likely to be more limited by fuel usage than wear and tear.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Are simple/quality tools of little value in TLD currently, or am I missing something? It seems like they used to be used to repair hatchets and knives, but now only work on can openers and storm lanterns, which don't see frequent use/degradation and the latter is likely to be more limited by fuel usage than wear and tear.

I think you need them to repair one or two items, though I forget which. I do know if you have a tool kit in you inventory the time spent crafting items is cut in half.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody here like Dead State? Not precisely a survival game but it fits the bill. Can't really get past a certain point though, I keep hitting a wall where everything kicks my rear end.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm looking for a rad survival game where I can chill out and build a cool house. I've been playing and enjoying subnautica but I think I've kind of burned through the content that is currently available.

ARK runs like poo poo for me, and 7 days to die is depressing and there are waaay too many zombies that are waaay too hard to kill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Anybody here like Dead State? Not precisely a survival game but it fits the bill. Can't really get past a certain point though, I keep hitting a wall where everything kicks my rear end.

I want to like that game really hard, but a lot of the changes they made to it during the Reanimated update make it rough to play. Zombies used to be so dull that if one was alone, you could roll up behind it and hit the combat button, getting a good turn in with your brawniest striker before they could do anything. They were still an issue in groups, but with good weapons and armor, they were a little like...fires. Or broken power lines. Environmental hazards, basically.

Which I liked. The reality of the situation is that things that are slow and dumb are not going to remain fearsome predators for too long. People are going to learn how to deal with them, and it will not take that long.

The Reanimated change increased the zombie attention radius such that it's impossible to efficiently sneak up behind them any longer. The now-ideal way to do things is to get their attention from the front, about 4-5 hexes away, so they shamble toward you but lack the AP to make an attack. The effect is largely the same, and with a little practice it is just as safe, but the entire process takes much, MUCH longer.

If you're referring to a wall where human enemies kick your rear end, that's unfortunately to be expected to some extent. The human enemies in Dead State are the real bad news bears, and there's no sign posting the encounter level at the start of the map. If you run up against a bunch of bandits or whatever that are too tough, gently caress 'em, walk the other way. You do not need to clear the map to survive the game - in fact you really don't need to clear very much of the map at all. If you can't find more places to explore, then shamelessly look at a fully populated world map. The game is absurdly stingy with giving you locations that should be readily available from any of the half-dozen locals you pick up during the game, so you should feel absolutely no shame at all about looking at a map.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 16, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm looking for a rad survival game where I can chill out and build a cool house.

I'd really like a game like The Long Dark, but where you can build shelters, cabins, other stuff.

That being said, TLD has gotten closest to The Revenant Simulator I was looking for.

Now I just need a good Mark Watney Simulator. Take On Mars is apparently pretty bleh, and there's not much else except Space Engineers, which I own, but haven't tried yet in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Subterrain is a pretty good Mark Watney simulator, but you'll have to deal with a couple of colossally idiotic design decisions that will hamstring you severely - not the least of which is, while you make your base in Central Control for the vast majority of the game, you are not allowed to download local maps of ANY of the areas you visit. This is an issue because the places you visit will lack heat and O2, forcing you to rely on charged stores. Particularly early on, these resources drain FAST, and the only place to restore them is your base. Travel time is a thing in the game, so returning home to recharge your heat and O2 packs is a real problem.

The ideal thing to do is to pack the parts to fix the local heat and O2 regulators, but since the maps are not revealed, you need to learn them through frustrating trial and error, dodging enemies all the way. This isn't an insurmountable problem, but be prepared to restart your game a good 3-4 times while you figure out the optimal way to lock down your base early on and pack a proper survival kit. Because holy poo poo that game doesn't tell you anything and it is VERY difficult to recover from your mistakes after you've made them.