Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I'm waiting for a reward card from work to come through, which I'm planning on using part for Valheim - but what's the consensus on This Land Is My Land? I've been interested in it ever since it popped up on Steam, and I'm hoping it's at least somewhat feature-complete, seeing as it's been over a year since it appeared on Steam. Is it very good, at this point? Or is it rather lacking, at present?

EDIT: Oh also, is it possible to create a camp of your own? Alternatively, can you live in(/use as a base) an abandoned/"abandoned" cabin?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm kind of the weird guy who doesn't get Valheim, I guess. I mean, it's okay, but through the first boss and into the Black Forest it seems pretty bland. I thought the subsystems were supposed to be amazing or something, but like deer hunting and such just seems to be generic creep, stalk, and shoot animal so it explodes into hide and meat.

Nothing wrong with it, but I really don't get the hype.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SlyFrog posted:

I'm kind of the weird guy who doesn't get Valheim, I guess. I mean, it's okay, but through the first boss and into the Black Forest it seems pretty bland. I thought the subsystems were supposed to be amazing or something, but like deer hunting and such just seems to be generic creep, stalk, and shoot animal so it explodes into hide and meat.

I'm having fun with it but I generally agree with this. It's fun to play for a bit but it doesn't hold my attention very well for more than a couple hours every few days.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

That's because it doesn't do anything new. The game just takes all the key lessons from other survival games and combines them in a working manner. Once you add in a neat style and a focus for cooperative play, you've got yourself a hit. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time and with ongoing development I can see myself putting some serious hours in, whether alone or with my friends.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It also gets brownie points in my book for not having a PVP focus like so many other of the huge multiplayer survival games (Ark, Rust, etc.). Sure, PVP is possible in it, but there's basically no point to it on a server with a max player count of 10.

More power to people who like PVP in games like this, but it actively drives me away from some of them :shrug:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drone posted:

I'm having fun with it but I generally agree with this. It's fun to play for a bit but it doesn't hold my attention very well for more than a couple hours every few days.

But isn't a couple hours per day good in the modern gaming era where our attention span is getting lower and lower? At least I recognize this in myself, that even with a good game I might not be able to "get in it" longer than the start. It's not that I can't play a slow starting game, it's just it has to have that magical something to get me interested. With Valheim I've found myself waiting to get playing in the evening with friends, which is an increasingly rare phenomenon these days but still some good games manage to bring up.

Currently we're at endgame and killed all the bosses, so it'll be mostly some building, sailing, making some upgrades and waiting for more content. But I'd say I definitely got my money's worth already.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It helps Valheim is pleasant looking instead of the bland budget middle realism of most survival games. Also almost all multiplayer survival games are full of gritty poo poo but everything here is very pleasant (things explode into little Zelda puffs instead of bleed). It does this while still having combat and such unlike something like Astroneer.

It also is difficult enough for an average skill player but isn't punishing. I don't need to grind up resources to attempt a boss fight. Repairs are free. Unless you hit a bug you can always retrieve your gear. Buildings tear down into a complete resource refund. There's some grind to things but in a group it hasn't felt near as bad is as usual for the genre.

The last survival game we played to any length was Conan and everything about Valheim just feels better to my group of casual friends.

I can see plenty bouncing off though. Like most survival games I can't imagine it would be very fun solo though I've only thought designed solo ones like Subnautica and Long Dark work for that. I also think it's probably too easy for more hardcore players and without enough content to grind on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What makes someone choose Conan over Ark? They feel like very similar games in how they play, but one has dinosaurs you can ride.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Valheim q:

Anyone reached the Obsidian Golems as well? If so, how did you deal with them?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Drone posted:

It also gets brownie points in my book for not having a PVP focus like so many other of the huge multiplayer survival games (Ark, Rust, etc.). Sure, PVP is possible in it, but there's basically no point to it on a server with a max player count of 10.

More power to people who like PVP in games like this, but it actively drives me away from some of them :shrug:

Some much this ^^^ I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time and it seems like I'm not the only one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Valheim's success comes in being a game first and a survival simulator second, which a lot of survival games get in the wrong order.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Yeah. Part of the problem is that I am a solo player. It's playable solo, but frankly, just not that exciting to do so.

There are a lot of internet posts out there saying it works great and is great fun solo too (which is why I bought it), but I'm not sure if I agree with them, having played it for 5-6 hours now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fart Car '97 posted:

Valheim's success comes in being a game first and a survival simulator second, which a lot of survival games get in the wrong order.

I wouldn't even say the latter, yes you can eat food for big bonuses but there is little pressure to actually do it. The largest part of the game is a combination of just building houses and wandering around in the forest to fill out the map.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tias posted:

Valheim q:

In the mountains? Use an Iron mace or a Pickaxe. You can run around their attack (even in proper armour) too, at least for the stone hand ones. Not sure about the spike ones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tias posted:

Valheim q:

You mean the frost golems? All their attacks except for the overhead swing are easily parryable, so just do that and beat on them with a blunt weapon while they're staggered. The overhead is somewhat fixed, so you can just circle around them while they wind up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wouldn't even say the latter, yes you can eat food for big bonuses but there is little pressure to actually do it. The largest part of the game is a combination of just building houses and wandering around in the forest to fill out the map.

At first there's a little pressure but you hit a soft wall fast if you don't.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Drone posted:

Seriously, PVP in Ark and Conan and other survival games is just flat out loving awful. Wish more survival games would focus on PvE rather than the fool's errand of trying to balance for PVP, which typically involves nerfing something fun into the ground because it's too powerful for PVP.

Vib Rib posted:

What makes someone choose Conan over Ark? They feel like very similar games in how they play, but one has dinosaurs you can ride.

Conan is the better game, more friendly to solo players and the building system both is easier to use and has way more aesthetic options to choose from. As an example for it's PVE friendliness to solo players, none of the bosses (and there's quite a few all over the map and in dungeons) ever felt too difficult when you come with the right gear. There's also a huge variety in armor and weapons.

Conan also has options you can change for your own locally hosted save's settings for things like how much material is needed to make stuff or how long it takes to break a thrall. For anyone that is enjoying Valheim I think you can easily get a similar experience with Conan with the added bonus of not needing a poo poo ton of metal for recipes unless you just really want it to be that way.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I like Valheim and put around 13 hours into it during the last weekend but I am also kind of not seeing the frankly ridiculous hype.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So a common problem I run into in a lot of survival games I play is that I love building bases and exploring, but bases are often quickly rendered obsolete by your need to go somewhere else if you want to see something new, which makes me averse to spending time doing the things I enjoy most!

So far I have only found one game that directly addresses that issue, Raft, and it does it exceptionally well... well enough that I really love the game even though the rest of it is honestly kind of mediocre-to-bad. And there's lots of different things to DO at the base which makes you want to expand and upgrade it to make it more functional.

Are there any other games that manage the customizable/mobile base of operations feel?

I suppose C:DDA at least offers you the option of building a late game mobile base, and Subnautica gets close by offering you a late game mobile base .. but it does so by removing the ability to customize it. (also the bases are largely pointless and decorative) But thats the best I can think of, and now that I've been spoiled by Raft I really want more of this.

Need me a custom flying airship base or something, hah

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 18, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GlyphGryph posted:

So a common problem I run into in a lot of survival games is that I love building bases and exploring, but bases are often quickly rendered obsolete by your need to go somewhere else if you want to see something new, which makes me averse to spending time doing the things I enjoy most!

Yeah, I hate this too. It feels like so many games fall into one of two camps: either you build a base that you then need to move out of because story/resource requirements/whatever require you to set up camp in a different location, or you just aren't really sufficiently incentivized to build a base at all because there are better alternatives (Starbound and I think No Man's Sky, where you can just put all your crafting stations in your ship and get like 90% of the functionality of a base without being tied to a location).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So we hit the limits of what Valheim has to offer, is Conan Exiles a similar sort of fun for a small group (3-4 people?)

I've never played Ark or Conan, and other than Valheim (which I enjoyed till we ran out of progression), the closest I've come to the genre is playing Terraria and Subnautica.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

victrix posted:

So we hit the limits of what Valheim has to offer, is Conan Exiles a similar sort of fun for a small group (3-4 people?)

I've never played Ark or Conan, and other than Valheim (which I enjoyed till we ran out of progression), the closest I've come to the genre is playing Terraria and Subnautica.

Yeah Conan rules with a group. Highly recommended if you're looking for a similar-but-more-fleshed-out experience from Valheim.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GlyphGryph posted:

So a common problem I run into in a lot of survival games I play is that I love building bases and exploring, but bases are often quickly rendered obsolete by your need to go somewhere else if you want to see something new, which makes me averse to spending time doing the things I enjoy most!

So far I have only found one game that directly addresses that issue, Raft, and it does it exceptionally well... well enough that I really love the game even though the rest of it is honestly kind of mediocre-to-bad. And there's lots of different things to DO at the base which makes you want to expand and upgrade it to make it more functional.

Are there any other games that manage the customizable/mobile base of operations feel?

I suppose C:DDA at least offers you the option of building a late game mobile base, and Subnautica gets close by offering you a late game mobile base .. but it does so by removing the ability to customize it. (also the bases are largely pointless and decorative) But thats the best I can think of, and now that I've been spoiled by Raft I really want more of this.

Valheim has kind of a neat way around this. You can build portals to connect areas, which means that if you're boating around somewhere, you can find a new land, hop off your boat, and throw up a portal back to your home base.

However, the metal you need for gear and progression cannot be taken through portals. This means that you either need to set up a new outpost in the new area, or you need to ship the ores back in your boat. It's kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion - it's definitely worth setting up intermediate little outposts, but you can still use your main base as a hub for various things and focus on making it pretty. And when you're exploring, it's easy to chop down a few trees and build a small hut to rest up (being rested gives you more stamina/health regen) or sleep through the night. It's kind of neat to go through an area later and see small huts and campfires dotted about the coast from where I've set up camp.

The outposts you make can also be kept around in order to facilitate new bases to explore from, and you kind of end up with various camps and outposts around the world, with a major base here and there and the freedom to pop around between them at will, or to sail between them if you want or need to deliver metal to and fro. The sailing is quite fun too, so it's not a drag to travel around by boat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Interesting. That's probably the first thing I've heard anyone say about the game that caught my interest, I might have to check it out.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Valheim is a game I would absolutely not want to play solo, but have been having a total blast playing with a group of 8 or so. I don't really care about building at all, but the exploration (especially the sailing) really has its hooks in me, and this is the only game of its type I've played where chopping down wood feels fun in its own right. Those who've said the game doesn't really do any one thing in a special way, but does put a bunch of normal things together into something greater than the sum of its parts, are 100% correct. Each night for the past week a friend and I have hopped in a boat and sailed out to see what we could find, and the various adventures and misfortunes we've experienced have been some of the most compelling social gaming I've ever engaged in.

As for its mass popularity (2 million based on word of mouth), I think there's also the quarantine element. It's fun to play together in this game, it's simple enough that even casual gamers might get into it, and it's as expensive as a delivery food order.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The base building problem would be easily solved if you had a town portal or similar system to warp to and from your base at any (reasonable) point. Or just build it in some magic pocket dimension.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Now I'm picturing someone literally carrying their base around in their pocket and throwing it whenever it's time to take a nap, like is common in many fantasy settings.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GlyphGryph posted:

Now I'm picturing someone literally carrying their base around in their pocket and throwing it whenever it's time to take a nap, like is common in many fantasy settings.
I would be pretty on board with a game that could do that in a fun way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was playing Gujian 3* recently and the protagonist has a pocket dimension that they can pop into at any time (even during dungeon crawls) to do some farming and crafting, then return to the exact spot they left. It's basically a holiday home.

* not a survival game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Drone posted:

Yeah, I hate this too. It feels like so many games fall into one of two camps: either you build a base that you then need to move out of because story/resource requirements/whatever require you to set up camp in a different location, or you just aren't really sufficiently incentivized to build a base at all because there are better alternatives (Starbound and I think No Man's Sky, where you can just put all your crafting stations in your ship and get like 90% of the functionality of a base without being tied to a location).

i really like space engineers for this reason - you can build a giant base, and then attach rockets and take it with you off-planet :v:
raft is another good example

but yeah, any sort of custom vehicles/movable bases are janky as hell in almost any game. i get why devs avoid that can of worms.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yeah, Raft does it very well too. Probably one of the best examples of base building period in a survival game (if it weren't for that loving shark :v: )

Space Engineers is another good one, but beyond that I can't think of a ton of survival games that have satisfying enough base building for me. Something like Eco probably, but that's because you NEED to have a central base in order to skill up, but it's also not really a survival game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The submarine in Subnautica was really incredible at the time. Being able to put lockers in it and being able to store other vehicles in it!? What a revelation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Or fallout 76

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Truga posted:

i really like space engineers for this reason - you can build a giant base, and then attach rockets and take it with you off-planet :v:
raft is another good example

but yeah, any sort of custom vehicles/movable bases are janky as hell in almost any game. i get why devs avoid that can of worms.

Yeah in our space engineers server everyone started on planet, built a massive base, then took off to build another one in space somewhere.

A friend and I stayed, tunnelled out the base, threw engines on it and parked it next to their new one :v:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Brownie posted:

The submarine in Subnautica was really incredible at the time. Being able to put lockers in it and being able to store other vehicles in it!? What a revelation.

I wish there was a way to have something like a MP subnautica, without totally ruining the experience of it. And that's an oxymoron

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I keep bouncing off Space Engineers, I was enamoured by the brief tutorial missions that showed a subterranean base and the ability to launch surface-to-space ships but despite my best efforts I could never figure out how to get that far - the game is super newbie unfriendly.

Does anyone have decent guides or quick start youtube videos I could watch? I really want to get into it but its one of those sandbox games where, even as someone fond of sanbox style gameplay, its simply far too open-ended. Its why I stuck with Satisfactory so long, they structure your advancement and development so you are forced to get used to each stage and its items, buildings and crafting before you move on.

e:

Dackel posted:

I wish there was a way to have something like a MP subnautica, without totally ruining the experience of it. And that's an oxymoron

The closest I can think of is Barotrauma, which in certain respects is a survival sim, but I hear its MP community is... not the best for people wanting to just play the way the game apparently is supposed to be played.

Like it has some really neat and creepy Subnautica-esque visuals andd concepts but unless you have a team of buddies to play with the AI is singularly unreliable and the public servers are not for the faint of heart.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 19, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PiCroft posted:

The closest I can think of is Barotrauma, which in certain respects is a survival sim, but I hear its MP community is... not the best for people wanting to just play the way the game apparently is supposed to be played.

Like it has some really neat and creepy Subnautica-esque visuals andd concepts but unless you have a team of buddies to play with the AI is singularly unreliable and the public servers are not for the faint of heart.

Yeah barotrauma is a submarine version of Space Ship 13, which means that sabotage is the name of the game for some of the players, and it is designed to be played with that in mind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
i played a bit of barotrauma with friends and it's pretty fun for friend co-op but i've never played online, which is more like an among us experience from what i can tell lmao

PiCroft posted:

I keep bouncing off Space Engineers, I was enamoured by the brief tutorial missions that showed a subterranean base and the ability to launch surface-to-space ships but despite my best efforts I could never figure out how to get that far - the game is super newbie unfriendly.

Does anyone have decent guides or quick start youtube videos I could watch? I really want to get into it but its one of those sandbox games where, even as someone fond of sanbox style gameplay, its simply far too open-ended. Its why I stuck with Satisfactory so long, they structure your advancement and development so you are forced to get used to each stage and its items, buildings and crafting before you move on.

tbh, unless you're gonna mod the game or go in already knowing exactly what you're doing, the best way to start space engineers is to not start on a planet at all.

all the ore veins on the planet are underground, the rarer the deeper, and vehicles on the planet are somewhat janky, so getting the big amounts of rare ores needed to sport a big rocket base is a pain in the butt. especially solo. meanwhile, asteroids are super rich with every metal ever.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Truga posted:

i played a bit of barotrauma with friends and it's pretty fun for friend co-op but i've never played online, which is more like an among us experience from what i can tell lmao

tbh, unless you're gonna mod the game or go in already knowing exactly what you're doing, the best way to start space engineers is to not start on a planet at all.

all the ore veins on the planet are underground, the rarer the deeper, and vehicles on the planet are somewhat janky, so getting the big amounts of rare ores needed to sport a big rocket base is a pain in the butt. especially solo. meanwhile, asteroids are super rich with every metal ever.

Janky? You mean wheeled vehicles? I've never made a wheeled miner in SE; small grid atmos are where it's at, specifically ones that can carry ~200-400 tons of ore. I love starting on planets in SE, especially with 1-1-1-1 settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yes! This was the Kenshi before Kenshi.