Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PiCroft posted:

I keep bouncing off Space Engineers, I was enamoured by the brief tutorial missions that showed a subterranean base and the ability to launch surface-to-space ships but despite my best efforts I could never figure out how to get that far - the game is super newbie unfriendly.

Does anyone have decent guides or quick start youtube videos I could watch? I really want to get into it but its one of those sandbox games where, even as someone fond of sanbox style gameplay, its simply far too open-ended. Its why I stuck with Satisfactory so long, they structure your advancement and development so you are forced to get used to each stage and its items, buildings and crafting before you move on.

e:

The closest I can think of is Barotrauma, which in certain respects is a survival sim, but I hear its MP community is... not the best for people wanting to just play the way the game apparently is supposed to be played.

Like it has some really neat and creepy Subnautica-esque visuals andd concepts but unless you have a team of buddies to play with the AI is singularly unreliable and the public servers are not for the faint of heart.

My strongest rec would be splitsie, the rest of his channel has some great survival vids and is a great way to pick up good tips for survival as well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfMGCUepUcNz9QgAIKLH2VztRUET-VKT-

He's currently doing an lp on an open heavily modded hardcore survival server and it's pretty cool all things considered. Mods are kinda necessary with SE but are super easy to use and can add a lot to the lonely space survivor gimmick, so it's worth putting the effort in imo. The game really shines in coop multiplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does anyone have tips for starting Conan Exiles solo? I jumped in for around 30 minutes last night after loving around trying to make a character that didn't look like an action figure or Barbie doll. The default start seems to dump you in a desert with nothing around and not much guidance.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

fwiw Ark does the same and it's a little meh :/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the point of the weapons beside the axe in Valheim?

I recently unlocked the tier 2 workbench and will be getting the tier 3 one the next time I play. So far, all the weapons look like they have the same or worse stats as the basic axe, which I need to keep upgraded to cut wood with anyways.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
they do different types of damage, have different middle click attacks and different swing timers/ranges. so everything is different

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LLSix posted:

What's the point of the weapons beside the axe in Valheim?

I recently unlocked the tier 2 workbench and will be getting the tier 3 one the next time I play. So far, all the weapons look like they have the same or worse stats as the basic axe, which I need to keep upgraded to cut wood with anyways.

Enemies have weaknesses versus different weapon types. Trolls are weak against stab (spear), skeletons are weak against blunt (:snoop:), knives have a higher parry damage, etc. As far as I can tell the sword and axe are kind of interchangeable though if you're trying to save space in your inventory.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have tips for starting Conan Exiles solo? I jumped in for around 30 minutes last night after loving around trying to make a character that didn't look like an action figure or Barbie doll. The default start seems to dump you in a desert with nothing around and not much guidance.

You should be near a road, follow it until you come across a monolith which will poop lore at you. If you keep going you should find a river with a bunch of assholes you can murder for some loot.
Id suggest setting up a temp startimg base here to start crafting starter gear so you dont get murdered super hard by the nearby crocodiles.
Conan Exiles is waaaaay more fun with friends, theres wandering bosses that will gently caress your day up really fast on your own.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Early game, bedrolls are life. Fiber ones only work once. Get a thrall wheel and a small base up asap, train the thrall and have it tank for you. Find an early/easy boss to kill and get some legendary weapons. At that point you're probably good to try some dungeons, but look them up first so you know what you're getting into. When you're ready head up to Sepermaru and go to the conan pub. There's a door out back that leads to the wine cellar dungeon. The first guy you run into, the drunk, has a 30% chance to drop the best knock out weapon in the game. Get it. North of Sepermaru, in the highlands, there's a big lake. North side of the lake in some ponds (not in the upper barbarian camp area) there is a solo cimmerian barbarian spawn. Put a bedroll down and knock him out. Knock out meter persists through your death so don't worry if it takes a few tries. Put him on a wheel of pain, barbarians are the best follower in the game. From there you should be able to do a ton more stuff.

Btw, you need to put gruel in the wheel of pain for it to work. You get gruel from combining fiber and seeds in a campfire. You get both from picking plants.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 22, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Using a sickle gets you way way more.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Conan is better than Ark because without online PVP there's more or less no reason to ride dinosaurs in Ark. We did both with a small group and building in conan has all sorts of little adornments for your base so your adventuring gradually creates an interesting living space whereas all of the buildings in ark have a sole military focus that is completely useless in a PVE environment.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I knew nothing about Conan’s lore and it’s still weird to me but there’s a whole story buried in the weird survival game and tons of lore bits of that grabs you. The first two times I played it I rushed a fancy base and got bored, the third time I followed the “journey” hints and tried to seek out new lore and man, there’s a whole buried thing that’s entirely missable if you aren’t careful.

I like the game a lot now, but it really feels like they wanted to make something more like traditional RPG but they were developing/launching in the window where everyone was playing Rust/DayZ so they made that instead. I don’t hate that, because I sincerely dig the “Open World Survival Craft” and Conan is one of the better examples now, but it still sometimes feels torn between two worlds imo.

In any case, my advice would be do the journey and pay attention to the lore and story bits you get throughout the game. It’s OK if you just want to build a base but it’ll get tired - getting into the weird story and doing the bosses and dungeons whips rear end. I played with a friend and not solo, which is a huge difference, but with a strong thrall there’s not too much you couldn’t do that we did, really. It’s easy to skip whole sections of the game, but avoid the temptation to rush it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The thing that I want most from an open world survival game is a sense of NPC society. The main problem with pvp as I see it right now is that the world is entirely lawless. Things like economy and justice are entirely player driven, while often being the better part of the gameplay.

Valheim is cool because it just sort of disregards those things. There's no pvp to worry about so the bases can be expansive, natural, and feel lived in. In Ark, despite the awesome dinosaur riding stuff every base is a double layered efficiency box studded with barbed wire and turrets. I haven't played much Conan online but from what I have seen bases are largely the same.

Ideally there would be some kind of NPC society/economy that would levy penalties for murder/theft/destruction or at least incentivize leading a "lawful" life. This would equally make things like base raiding and player killing more exciting by adding an element of risk.

A good way of approaching this game design is asking "Two players meet each other in an open field, what interactions are available to them?"

Often the answer is only immediate combat. Cooperation or even ambivalence are simply not incentivized in any way by the game mechanics.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't get, don't get, and probably won't get why pvp became some sort of defacto standard for the mp survival games. Feels like it either ruined or weakened a bunch of games I'd probably really like otherwise.

It was so bad for awhile I actively avoided the genre and missed a few games I'm enjoying now because I assumed the jank tier pvp was mandatory.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Same here. I’m just now dipping into the genre because I thought everything required multiplayer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

Janky? You mean wheeled vehicles? I've never made a wheeled miner in SE; small grid atmos are where it's at, specifically ones that can carry ~200-400 tons of ore. I love starting on planets in SE, especially with 1-1-1-1 settings.

yeah wheeled ones are terrible, but even small grid atmo ones sometimes spaz out. the "new" (now years old) netcode helped a fuckton but it's still not perfect

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pvp is good (for the devs) because it makes tryhards want their stuff to be better than everyone else's in the server. In ark's case and Conan's case they'll sell you all kinds of dlc to let you be that guy who has the laser shooting dinosaur or whatever late game Ark looks like. I don't really care for PVP so I never got into Ark for the same reason. I'm done with Valheim now and might have to go back for another Conan run. The pve makes that a pretty fun game even when playing by myself. Going to try to drag my friend I've been playing Valheim with along though because imo it's a better game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ark wanted to be PVP so they could do tournaments and be the next big king of the mountain game, which they were for like 3 weeks

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

PvP in many of these games always seems weird to me too, because inevitably the big PvP servers are all like 10x drop/exp and basically short circuit anything that makes the game/genre unique to turn it into a death match or at best, team death match. While Conan does have pretty tight combat, a lot of these games just aren’t that good as pure PVP and so it always confuses me why they want to ignore what else the game brings to the table for a pretty generic PvP experience.

I guess it’s more fun to kill someone when you get to stomp on their sand castle afterward, though.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Day Z is probably at fault. The whole "oooh is that stranger good or going to murder me?" thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What do people think of the new Obsidian survival game? Grounded?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Its early access still, spiders are loving terifying monsters, and the tech tree could use some altering imo. I enjoy it quite a bit, but they need to maybe tone the spiders down a lot.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

0/10 will not play games with spiders bigger than me. (Although the Conan ones don't bother me.)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

What do people think of the new Obsidian survival game? Grounded?

gently caress bugs

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress playing games with spiders twice my size TIA

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Grounded has an arachnophobia slider that lets you modify the giant spiders anywhere from "less leggy spider" to "unrecognizable ovals"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thread has convinced me to pick it up and give it a go. Thanks guys!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

victrix posted:

I didn't get, don't get, and probably won't get why pvp became some sort of defacto standard for the mp survival games. Feels like it either ruined or weakened a bunch of games I'd probably really like otherwise.

It was so bad for awhile I actively avoided the genre and missed a few games I'm enjoying now because I assumed the jank tier pvp was mandatory.
I feel like PVP gets shoved in a lot because it's an 'easy' way to keep threats going over the long term, vs actually balancing your game so it's a challenge throughout(either because there's an actual endpoint other than death or managing to scale outside threats so they keep mattering after you get top tier everything). Similarly:

Spanish Matlock posted:

The thing that I want most from an open world survival game is a sense of NPC society. The main problem with pvp as I see it right now is that the world is entirely lawless. Things like economy and justice are entirely player driven, while often being the better part of the gameplay.

Valheim is cool because it just sort of disregards those things. There's no pvp to worry about so the bases can be expansive, natural, and feel lived in. In Ark, despite the awesome dinosaur riding stuff every base is a double layered efficiency box studded with barbed wire and turrets. I haven't played much Conan online but from what I have seen bases are largely the same.

Ideally there would be some kind of NPC society/economy that would levy penalties for murder/theft/destruction or at least incentivize leading a "lawful" life. This would equally make things like base raiding and player killing more exciting by adding an element of risk.
This would be cool(and is cool in the few games that actually make NPC societies beyond 'people who want to kill you and/or take your stuff'), but a)requires more work than 'everything and everyone is trying to kill you' and b)would probably lose the segment of the playerbase who plays survival games for their 'I am the Last Human and I am a total badass who doesn't need anyone else to survive' kicks.

Which is a shame because I would be extremely here for more games that allow for cooperation beyond yourself/your group.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Haifisch posted:

This would be cool(and is cool in the few games that actually make NPC societies beyond 'people who want to kill you and/or take your stuff'), but a)requires more work than 'everything and everyone is trying to kill you' and b)would probably lose the segment of the playerbase who plays survival games for their 'I am the Last Human and I am a total badass who doesn't need anyone else to survive' kicks.

Which is a shame because I would be extremely here for more games that allow for cooperation beyond yourself/your group.

I imagine that segment of the player base would be at least as happy to have npc's gratefully thanking them for bringing in food/leather/wood and other supplies so that they can continue surviving. As long as it's optional anyways.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doesn't Rust, at least, have the raids and stuff that you really want a full group and if possible multiple groups working together to accomplish?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Isle of whatever DLC for Conan? I'm thinking about getting back into Conan but at 80 hours in the same map I'm thinking about buying the expansion to play on a new map. Comments seem weirdly negative but can't find any specific reasons why.
Edit: Seeing a lot of "Primarily for pvp" which would be a problem since I'll probably be playing alone or with a friend on an offline server.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 23, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Haifisch posted:

I feel like PVP gets shoved in a lot because it's an 'easy' way to keep threats going over the long term, vs actually balancing your game so it's a challenge throughout(either because there's an actual endpoint other than death or managing to scale outside threats so they keep mattering after you get top tier everything). Similarly:

I feel like in Conan's case it stands out because 99% of the time you encounter an NPC you're either killing or enslaving them or I guess indifferently ignored in the case of that desert city. I think something as simple as the NPC's in Terraria would be a good addition without making complicated Assassin's Creed or GTA style populaces. Granted there are some NPCs around that teach you new recipes and such I just think there is definitely room for improvement on Conan's NPC front. Not counting thralls because really all they do is mutely stare at you and make you stuff or kill things and/or die for you.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

explosivo posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Isle of whatever DLC for Conan? I'm thinking about getting back into Conan but at 80 hours in the same map I'm thinking about buying the expansion to play on a new map. Comments seem weirdly negative but can't find any specific reasons why.
Edit: Seeing a lot of "Primarily for pvp" which would be a problem since I'll probably be playing alone or with a friend on an offline server.

Yeah do not buy it unless you have faith that Funcom will fix it. Earlier they acknowledged people weren't happy with the expansion because it is just a pvp island that is very empty with content and they are working on redoing the whole island like adding more npc bases this year. It is nothing like the exiled lands if you want more dungeons.

Edit: Oh and you have to have separate characters for each map so don't go in thinking you can use your exile character then go to the expansion.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 23, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone messed with Volcanoids?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Baba Oh Really posted:

Yeah do not buy it unless you have faith that Funcom will fix it. Earlier they acknowledged people weren't happy with the expansion because it is just a pvp island that is very empty with content and they are working on redoing the whole island like adding more npc bases this year. It is nothing like the exiled lands if you want more dungeons.

Edit: Oh and you have to have separate characters for each map so don't go in thinking you can use your exile character then go to the expansion.

Boo. Okay, thanks for the heads up. $20 felt steep anyway so I'm sort of relieved to hear this.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm really impressed with how deep Valheim is. I thought it was just going to be basically a hunting simulator, but then I killed the first boss and now there's dungeons, and mining, and a whole new metal tech tree to explore.

victrix posted:

Anyone messed with Volcanoids?

It was fiddly enough to put my wife off so I didn't play it much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grounded is really fun so far, thematically it's awesome. Stabbing ants and gnats and getting killed by tiny robots right now.

It's a shame Obsidian absolutely sucks at menus and UI, because aside from fighting the garbage interface I'm enjoying it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Forced, high consequence PVP is something I'll cry about in every genre. I wish Ark could have been a more focused, singleplayer or co-op exclusive experience. But I also find myself wishing for that in non-survival games, like Escape from Tarkov. I'm just not competitive enough to keep up. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because in both communities PvP seems to be the only reason to play for a majority of players. I've seen so much Ark talk about private or personal servers to the tune of "why would you ever play this except to raid other people?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I only played at the beginning of early access, but Grounded didn't grab me at all. On paper it sounds neat as heck, but it was far too busyworky -- and also big bugs kinda weird me out, even with arachnophobia mode on.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really liked Grounded but there's not a lot there yet. Assuming they fill out the content it's gonna be amazing though.

My only real complaint is that the building costs, particularly for actual building pieces, is too high. Or was when I played at launch. That may have been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

Forced, high consequence PVP is something I'll cry about in every genre. I wish Ark could have been a more focused, singleplayer or co-op exclusive experience. But I also find myself wishing for that in non-survival games, like Escape from Tarkov. I'm just not competitive enough to keep up. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because in both communities PvP seems to be the only reason to play for a majority of players. I've seen so much Ark talk about private or personal servers to the tune of "why would you ever play this except to raid other people?"

Tarkov bums me out for this reason. It seems like a game I would normally love but kept getting blown away every time I'd play so I just never brought any gear with me which defeated the whole purpose of the game. I liked doing scav runs because it was pretty low stakes. I might revisit it at some point if I'm ever able to get a new video card, it also kinda ran like crap last time I tried it which didn't help.