Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't have any screenshots off hand, but the Survival Kids/Lost in Blue series fits in here. Mostly on handhelds, and done by Konami. Survival Kids is on the Gameboy Color, Lost in Blue 1-3 on the DS, and Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked on the Wii.

They're each about a kid(s), or teenager/young adult(s), getting shipwrecked on an island, and having to gather food and supplies to survive, while also working to find a way off. Sometimes you turn out to not be alone on the island, but in at least one case the other people are more detrimental to your survival than helpful.

Gameplay generally has you walking around gather the necessary supplies, while keeping an eye on your hunger, rest, and thirst meters, and those of any companions. You can combine items to make tools and the like, such as a bow or cooking supplies. You end up having to work hard at keeping yourself alive in the beginning, until you start getting the ability to find or make more filling foods, build shelter, and all that sort of stuff.

I've not played LiB 3, or Shipwrecked, but the first three games are pretty good at scratching the survival game itch.

I loved survival kids. I'm phone posting so I can't provide much on it, but I highly recommend it. So much goodness in such tiny space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have the Long Dark and I think it's graphics are great but I also agree that it's a pretty shallow game. You ultimately survive for as long as you can find premade stuff lying around but you can't survive indefinitely with stuff you make. It's not that I want the game to be easier, but when you know eventually you'll drop dead after exhausting all the supplies in the game world, the game just seems like a slog (especially since moving around the small maps can be tedious and slow if you're actually trying to last as long as you can.) and there are so many mattresses and things, why can't I rip them up for cloth? Why can't I turn random metal into scrap? Why can't I make weapons out of renewable stuff? I'm hoping the story mode fixes this by having episodic levels. Once the novelty of sandbox wears off there's little reason to keep playing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

tomanton posted:

Any love here for This War of Mine?

They quietly released a huge update for it a few months back, now there's complete scenario customization (80-day severe winter :getin:) as well as a handful of new characters and locations to play with. The community also did what you'd expect with Workshop functionality and you can now ride out the war as the likes of Rick Grimes and/or Gaben

I'm really interested in this game but I have one question: how depressing is this game? It looks depressing. I know that sounds bizarre but I find that as I get older and less assholish I am more affected by depressing movies and video games. (Immortal Defense ruined my week.) is this a game that will ruin my week?

Go play Wurm guys, it is fun. And I'm not just saying that because the goon leading the current charge is my fiancé. :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Recently got really into Subnautica. I really like basebuilding survival games (I've certainly sunk a fair amount of time into minecraft.) Can you guys make some recommendations? TLD is fun but not a basebuilding game and a lot of other base building games don't have much of a survival element.