Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Posted this in the free games thread but quoting myself here.
It was mentioned on page 1 but I recently found out its status to free had been changed (NOT free to play).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

Planet Explorers
Which is now free because they somehow lost the code to it???
I can't really find a good explanation but thats the basics of it.
From the same guys who made My time at Portia though its nothing like it.

A voxel based open world mining/crafting/hunting type game.
It has a story mode or adventure mode (randomized maps with randomized quest givers) or just plain sandbox.
It has voxel based crafting of guns, swords, cars, boats and air vehicles. Some have called the editor 'Blender' like.
Which you can save the designs of (called ISOs) or from the main menu, download others creations.
If you can think of a sword or gun from a movie or game, you can make it, or chances are, someone already has.
Here is a place besides the main menu to download items, you just need to supply the materials. Or pre-craft some items.
http://planet-explorers-isos.com/

It had a decent rating on Steam before, but when they hosed up and just decided to put it up for free instead, it really pissed off angry nerds who had paid for it who then started leaving bad reviews. Which is kind of understandable.
Its a little slow, but if you enjoy open world crafting games, its pretty decent.

I'm going to repeat the slow part, mostly because the world is so drat huge.
Here is a ship the size of a small town a few miles away.

Also enemy size comparison to you.

Not all enemies are that big but quite a few are.
Vehicles are mandatory because it takes so drat long to get somewhere by running.

There are some bad things to this game, but frankly, i'm enjoying it.

Also dont eat so much fatty.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

Creativerse looks cool. We'll give that a shot. Thanks

I like Creativerse, but always felt like I had no goals in it. With Minecraft you have the Nether and the End to go to/get through.
But lacked a goal other than going further down in this.
Only played it solo though, would probably be more fun multi.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's kinda how I felt about Minecraft. I recently tried a Minecraft modpack and it was just like... ok. I am totally aimless. I don't even know where to begin.

You need to find the right modpack. Any MC modpack will give me at least 50-100 hours of time just building all the things.
I actually have to hold myself back from downloading another one because I have so many other games I need to play that keep getting shoved back.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is Stranded Deep worth getting yet, after 5 years?
Or is it still in a state where you can pretty much do everything after a few hours?
I really like the look of it and watch an LP of it occasionally.
It never seems to go on sale though.

Also, does it have storms yet? It was always a sunny day when I watched LPs of it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 7, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I tried Grounded when they announced a free trial which turned out to be a timed demo.
Which turned me off since I love exploring the most.
So I just dumped it until it got older.
I'll likely try it again eventually.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I had really wanted to get into stuff like Ark and Conan, but mechanics like deterioration of your built base over time if you decided to play another game for a bit just put me off.
I know things like that can be turned off, but thats generally up to everyone else/server owner not you.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

tildes posted:

Also, what does the arrow on the minimap mean? Your next objective you have to head to?

Wind direction.
Boating has a few redundancies, wind direction is given to you in two ways, and sail level is shown to you in 3 ways.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Almost forgot Breathedge was released 2 hours ago.
I still don't even know where i got it, had it on my waitlist for awhile.
Must have gotten it from a key in the free games thread or something.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I could use more sailing games.
I have played Ylands, which is kinda minecrafty and went F2P but needs $20 to play SP and doesnt have actual sailing, just press forward to go.
Salt, which never really left alpha.
Valheim, sailing is tons of fun.
Assassins Creed games had decent enough sailing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just started playing Windbound a bit and it has probably the best wind & sailing mechanics I've seen, basically just by also including tightening/loosening your sail. So you gotta tighten up to sail across or into the wind, but then if you get a good enough cross-wind and tighten up too much and hold the rudder straight it'll actually capsize you, especially if there's some waves too. It really nails the feeling of skimming over the sea in a small boat, it's dope.

The only catch is that it's pretty cartoonish artistically, between that and the polynesian style boats (dugout canoe/outriggers/catamarans) it seems really influenced by Disney's Moana, so, y'know, I could see that putting people off. I would loving love to see Valheim add Windbound's more in-depth sailing mechanics, if they did that I'd probbly never stop playing it.

Uh also I only grabbed Windbound cos they just had it 50% off on Steam, tbh I really wouldn't recommend playing full price for it.

I've been wanting to grab that for awhile but it has quite a few bad reviews and the fact you can't edit your keys really turns me off.
Would buy in a second otherwise, even with the bad reviews.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sounds exactly what I expected it to be.
Thanks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

redreader posted:

- recent-ish addition of traders with quests and quest locations that when you activate them, populate zombies etc according to quest difficulties

This is the best cheat ever.
Go to the mission, loot the hell out of it of everything, then activate it and its instantly rebuilt/repopulated.

Did they ever make it so you could turn off the 7 day horde?
Last I played you could just delay it, but that first one was still as powerful as whatever day it was, i.e. 7 or 30.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Qubee posted:

Is there a 7 Days to Die thread? Just started playing it with a friend and it's phenomenal. Grade A Jank but it's drat fun nonetheless and has hilarious moments.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

With some differences, it basically is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

TeaJay posted:

re: Below zero: I accidentally finished the game, I guess? I was doing stuff for Al-An not realizing this will fast-forward me to the ending. I hadn't been to the northern research facility, found some additional sister lore and then all of a sudden was at the point of no return (yes he does tell you to finish your business).

It feels kind of funny that you can basically screw your sister and finish the game like this. Robin didn't seem to have any issue doing so, so is this basically a sequence break? All this time I thought the two plot lines would meet at some point, but I'm still completely baffled what to do with Samantha plot.

e: some more story spoilers Okay, I took the map out and headed to Omega lab (and finally found it). From what I gathered, Sam and Marguerit wanted to stop the Kharaa experiments and nuked the lab, but I still feel like I'm missing something, seeing as I can already go and finish the game with Al-An but I haven't found out what actually happened to Sam afterwards, seeing as Marguerit has no new dialogue. Did I actually skip an important line of some PDA or is there something else I'm supposed to do here?

About Sams death So Sam was looking for a way to take out the disease on the frozen leviathan and does so and hides the cure on the front side of the bridge which is findable with a robot pengling.
In the tunnel leading up to the frozen leviathan you find a crushed forklift amidst some tunnel rubble and near there is a last recording of Sam being in a place she shouldn't be and getting caught and accidentally causing her own death by collapsing the tunnel.
Why didnt she just use it? Who knows likely to give you the chance to finish your sisters work and feel satisfaction.

Its not really a very good ending and most surmise that it was just simply not finished because pandemic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

As if I didn't have enough poo poo to play right now I saw that Astroneer just updated with some cool new vehicles like a vtol and hoverboard. I never went back to that game after they added the machinery stuff and always meant to but I keep finding other stuff instead.

I wonder if the MS store version I bought is able to play with any other version yet?
What a wasted buy that was.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

OgNar posted:

I wonder if the MS store version I bought is able to play with any other version yet?
What a wasted buy that was.

Update: Only if you buy one of Astroneers dedicated servers.
Which, gently caress that, be smarter to just buy the drat thing again on a sale from Steam.
Screw you Microsoft Store.
You win again, but for the last time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

so many screwups

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

quote is not edit

probe me if you must

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I was watching paulsoarsjr play it and he basically just dug a 1 wide x 2 deep trench around his farm and also that way it was easy rabbit killing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

gently caress, 7D2D is one of those games for me that the only reason I am not playing it is that I dont want to ruin it by playing too much.
I try to wait until major version changes before dumping another 50-70 hours into it again.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't 7D2D also not have an end goal? The only one I remember was in a mod.

It doesnt have an overarching goal but it does have Trader given missions that get harder after X amount.
Level 5 (I think) has you searching for an item in the skyscrapers, or clearing one out.
I forget, its been awhile since I did them.

e:fb new page

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

re: Project Zomboid
Youtuber Nurse is doing a bunch of short (30 second) trailers for each of the professions, with some pretty good highlighting of unique traits I never noticed about each of the professions, also her voice is like butter on french toast

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVH2jpqsftBkYVpnynHRdw

While I love watching other people play PZ, I have never been able to get the hang of its slow rear end turning and die so quickly.
Unless I turn spawn rates down dramatically, but then that kind of just makes it easy.
Always looking for new people to watch though.
Have watched a lot of Pr1vatelimes videos.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Thats someone else, i'm on single player atm.
And its a little buggy. But still worth playing.

Started making a base and then I realized it was pointless since any update is liable to just collapse the ceiling like I have had happen before.
Also having a hard time finding Nitrate to make a roof farm.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I played a pretty good amount of A19, would you say the biggest change is the worldgen and new POIs?

There are a ton of new and newly revamped POIs.
They have a new stamp system that fits them all together a lot more naturally.
A bunch of visual changes on some zombies and a few seem quite a bit tougher.
The zombs have some new changes (senses) you can set that make them even tougher.
Vehicles can now be colored and modded.
A range of new FO4-like pipe weapons that are not as good as their normal counterparts but can just be repaired with pipes easily available.
Loot system has been changed and is tiered according to danger of area.
I've been getting blue lootbags from Lumberjacks with a lot more ammo and stuff.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure why your zombies disappeared. They normally dont, but we are on the experimental in a20.
As opposed to just alpha.
So anything is possible.
How close was your bedroll? I usually keep it near just in case in the chaos.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

But its fantastic when you go afk while melting some brass/iron and come back and that enlarged horde has taken out the entire corner of your base.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have been circling through all the traders trying to find a damned crucible on every refresh.
Or a silencer. Both a no show.
What is the toughness route for areas?
Going to assume Forest area, Desert, Snowy and the Wasteland.
Took a tour earlier trying to find new traders and found the wasteland area on my map.
Lots of those weird bubbly guys wandering and explody cops.
Haven't even come across those weird bubbly guys yet outside that area and I must have seen 6-7 just driving through.

Even though i'm on lvl 4 missions with Jen, I may have to move down there and start over in the hopes of better loot.

Sadly its like a 20 minute motorcycle ride from my main base.
I guess a secondary base never hurt anyone.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

Okay well gently caress I hadn't gone into the wasteland until today and I just got owned by the goo spitting cops trying to ride my moped to the next trader while some mutant grizzly bear mauled me. I've been getting used to not dying so that came as a surprise!

I was up to lvl 2 trader missions in the Wasteland today and decided to do the night mission with the power generators.
Bad decision.
At some point after I had completed it, i'm still in there looting and I can only assume that I got a swarm spawned with a few screamers.
I killed at least 2 but there could have been more.
They just kept coming, so many zombies streaming through the door.
Went through over 300 7.62 and had to move to the shotgun.
I can only assume there was at least 1 more screamer spawning these things before I was eventually overwhelmed.
My biggest mistake was not getting to the roof or some kind of high ground during a short lull when I patched up and kept thinking it was over before another wave started.
And this was just a standard night mission.
The wasteland doesnt screw around at night.
And i was considering adding the mod that adds more wandering zombies and wandering hordes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I tried to like stationeers except it seemed you needed some convoluted tutorials to be able to figure out how to get oxygen and I eventually ran out.
Was fun up until then.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Warrior Princess posted:

It's very much a game that you benefit from having someone knowledgeable about it's mechanics around. The built-in tutorials are lackluster and also out-of-date.

Oxygen comes from a few sources, depending on planets. Mars and the Moon are the "starter" planets normally, so if you're on those, the easiest method is locating "Oxite Ice", which is something like 90% O2/10% N2. Mine it up and leave it in your mining belt, it can sublimate away if you take it out early. Next, build an Ice Crusher, some pipes, a pressure regulator, a canister filler, and a spare canister. These are all built in the Hydraulic Pipe Bender constructor.

Build the Ice Crusher, then use pipes to go from the gas output at the top to a pressure regulator, then from the regulator to the canister filler. Power the ice crusher and the regulator, then set the regulator to 6000 kpa or so. Place the spare canister in the filler, and the oxite ice into the ice crusher, then turn on the regulator and the ice crusher. You can use your tablet with an Atmo Cartridge in it to monitor the fill level of the canister. You may also need to attach a pipe heater to the pipe going into the canister filler as well, and turn it on and monitor it until the temperature is close to 20-30c.

The gas will be an O2/N2 mix, so to use it safely in your suit, you'll need to replace one of your CO2 suit filters with an N2 filter.

This is a really rough way of doing it early on, if you're getting low and haven't created a supply before your lander tank has run out. The lander usually has a big white tank attached to it. Just use the wrench to pop it off, then take your suit tank out and slot it into the fill port on the big white lander tank, then take it back out and put it back in your suit. You can survive tankless for the few seconds it takes to do this, and you can do this for a decently long time before the lander tanks pressure is too low for it to work like this.

Edit: I'm not an advanced Stationeers Nerd by any means but if anyone wants little quick tutorials on how to do certain things, I'll gladly make quick videos and post them to YouTube to help demystify stuff. I *really* like the game and would be happy to.

Well I uninstalled it awhile back out of frustration.

If I recall the tutorial I found was building some pipe system into the wall and throwing the oxite on the ground near an intake vent or some poo poo.
And I had waited far too long to try and work it out, not giving it enough time to do it correctly before I just ran out.

Like I said though, I did like it, I just found that frustrating.
But have been wanting to give it another go.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

So anyone check out The Planet Crafter?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1830840/The_Planet_Crafter_Prologue/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g4YVF6cq0

e: oh poo poo, I don't see any bears or deer, we sure this is an alien planet?

I watched a bit of Spanjs LP of it.

Seems ok, but still EA.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeXxYGyW3yFQKa4kSZSq8q89uPMmab-hQ

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3DULZ7KpJQ

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

The default map, Navezgane, only has 4 small towns in it. I'd definitely recommend using the random map generator and there are a lot of good seeds in the A20 seed thread, this post has a ton of good ones with map images:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/?do=findComment&comment=460201

I'm using BihariScientology with the generation settings listed in the post and it gives large cities in every biome (except burnt forest, the generator seems to skip that biome completely right now).

Will have to check this out.
Generated 3 maps so far but having hard time generating one with Towers.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Man I wish Raft was fun :(

Promotion's all bright colors and craft anything! Explore the world! and the actual gameplay's sitting around shooing a shark off your flotsam and seagulls off your crops literally every five minutes on the dot forever like you're in a French movie about the pointlessness of life

You could always try this
https://www.raftmodding.com/mods/raft-is-not-shark-food
or this
https://www.raftmodding.com/mods/remove-evil-animals

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I die so quickly in PZ that if a I do find a gun, I leave it because it'll just make me die quicker.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

buglord posted:

Are there any Zomboid PVE servers anyone can recommend? I mostly like playing alone, but not so alone that I don't see another living soul. Its neat to be invited to a base from time to time, or get the odd visitor.

e: Alternatively, would be interested in trying out A20 7D2D servers which are goon run or at least run by sensible pubbies

I dont know of any PVE Zomboid.
But there is a server talked about in the 7d2d thread.
Just ask there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Counterpoint: Run everywhere.

Just learn how to push and murder. Or kill them as they come through windows until you cant then run upstairs and go down your cloth rope.

Also learn to love cloth ropes to get into and out of buildings because zombies can't climb.

There's a good youtube zomboid tutorial series by someone who also plays ss13 but I can't recall her name right now

Nurse?

https://www.youtube.com/c/NurseVO/videos

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Astroneer is a decent enough game.
But it consists mainly of 'Make all the things to progress'.
Has good enough exploration to unlock places and find items.
No REAL story though.

Just dont buy it from Microsoft, that was my biggest mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

esquilax posted:

Astroneer is really fun but it's not particularly long or deep. It does have nice design, and is pretty chill. You can get a good 20 hours out of it.

It's also free on Game Pass.

This I didnt know.
FYI

quote:

Is Astroneer cross-platform?
Yes, Astroneer is cross-platform, but not entirely. It can get a little confusing here. In Astroneer, cross-play is available only between Xbox One and PC. Apart from these two devices, all other players are restricted to playing with players using the same device only.

What this means is if you know someone who has it on Steam and you are on pc gamepass, then the only way to play is through a rented server.