Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Would also mention the Lost in Blue series for NDS, had some fun with the first one when it came out and they made sequels after my NDS broke.

To build a fire you tapped L and R fast to simulate spinning a stick and then blew in the microphone to get the ember to catch flame. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Y'all please shut the gently caress up with the dickwaving, TIA.

I got The Long Dark and it owns. Started in Mystery Lake, first go round I died of dysentery in 3 days. I was dying of dehydration, so when I found the ice lake I thought I was saved - I'll just break open a hole in that ice and then I have drinking water! Wait what do you mean that doesn't work? I can fish in the lake but not loving drink it? I've tried to keep my out of game research to a minimum, but I gave up and googled it.

Being from a climate where I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen snow stick to the ground, it never occurred to me to try melting snow, which apparently I have been continuously collecting in my pack, where it is weightless until melted. So I melted it and drank it. Without boiling :v:

RIP canadabro #1, my first video game victim of dysentery in 20 years.

Try #2 has been more successful:

Used the cabin with the Canadian flag by Mystery Lake as a home base, at this point I'm rocking wolf / deer / rabbit clothes, I visited the forge in the Forlorn Muskeg and made an improvised knife, since I have yet to find one, ever, in the game. Things seem pretty drat stable, I could probably last things out here for weeks, at least until my last hatchet breaks and I have no more whetstones. The Muskeg seemed pretty empty and hostile, drat near died on my second night there, between the unlucky nonstop fog, finding out what "thin ice" means, and the bear that was between me and firewood.

Anyway, things feel very comfortable now, perhaps too much so. I'm on the default difficulty, Voyageur I think. Should I just move on to a higher difficulty or is there something worth exploring at my current difficulty in one of the other zones?

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 27, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Dyna Soar posted:

you're not carrying it, it's just everywhere. the snow.

I know now, I'm just bitter. It's one of the few things that took me out of the game - it feels very video-game-y that I can't somehow drink water right there but yet heaps of snow which actually wasn't nearby (when this all went down I was in the middle of the ice in the shack) I can teleport to my campfire. It's not like the game shies away from realistic tedium in other regards. And that's not a knock against, god drat it's satisfying.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I am now a rock sniper in TLD and it feels drat good. Rabbits are just a slightly mobile form of meat storage.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Am I right that your thumb is basically the aiming reticle?

Sort of? Can't find a pic online to illustrate of it, but: starting from the inner edge of the knuckle crease on the thumb, I go up and left about 10 - 15 degrees from vertical, one half inch distance (my screens are 23") from the crease. This is about right for rabbits about 25 or so feet away, obviously it arcs so I had to practice it awhile to start doing it consistently. Now I hit them about 80% of the time.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
TLD story mode feels like training wheels for survival mode in comparison. I first played it 6 months ago before story mode existed, which I'm sure has some effect. Seeing the Canadian flag cabin in chapter 2 felt like coming home. Also, story mode wolves seem to misunderstand the directionality of the predator prey relationship.

On that note, I wish the higher difficulties in TLD made wolves more fearsome without just making like, a ton of them. Give me a few wolves here and there that are truly scary; spamming the same strength ones everywhere just makes them feel cheap.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

TACO_HERO posted:

Nobody's mentioned this game since the OP, but I love wayward, it's beautiful if you like pixel art, it has a deep crafting system and everything is turn based, like a rogue-like. Something about taking wilderness survival and turning it all into math like a board game is really cool to me. It's updated half often and I started playing again after a recent update that improved the farming system and stuff. I'd compare it to the survival side of minecraft but with way more depth and challenge. Might not appeal to people who like the realism of the long dark, etc. but you might consider trying it on sale or whatever. I've got like 50 hours out of it so far.

Sounds interesting, could you describe it in more detail?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone tried Wayward? I bought it last night on a whim but haven't had a chance to play.

You can see pretty much all the content in a weekend, but for the price it's a fun game. The game has a good / evil mechanic that changes the difficulty of the enemies that spawn, where planting and harvesting your own crops / trees = good, and doing basically anything else = evil. Once you get a little farm going it's easy enough to balance out your evil points as long as you're careful, and you sure as hell better because even basic enemies turned into evil elites have a really good chance to kill you. And the ways to practice combat to get tough are, you guessed it, evil.

I did like it but the entire game is basically built around balancing that mechanic while staying alive and advancing, and it definitely needs tuning. After awhile I wound up farming and letting the crops rot, because I didn't need the food but did need the points. Also, by the end it mostly made me want to play Unreal World instead.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 3, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Sounds perfect, I always wanted to try Voyageur without tripping over wolves every 3 seconds.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I got Raft a couple of weeks ago and spent the weekend playing it. Once you get your raft to the point that you have the evaporator and good food sources it can be pretty relaxing just floating along. The game would be better if, instead of the shark attacking every five minutes and biting off one piece, it was once an hour but a major fight, would make it easier to sit back and chill awhile. Still, overall I enjoyed it for the price.

I picked up Conan Exiles last week and have been playing it on the Crom's Drunken Camel Punchers (PVE-focused) goon server. For $40 it was a gamble, but I've been really enjoying it so far, although I think a lot of that is due to the server settings, specifically the non-PVP and increased drops. With that, collecting / building stuff is quick enough to avoid being a drag, but involved enough to be satisfying. The world itself is really pretty, and despite half the map being desert, there's a lot of visual variety in the different biomes. The game world feels much more like a single player RPG than the typical survival sandbox, in a good way. You can climb on almost everything, and my brain keeps switching to BotW mode, freaking out when it rains and trying to jump to climb up faster. Combat is a little bit punchier and more involved than your typical floaty feeling stabfest, it's no DARK SOULS but it has weight.

It's really atmospheric and when I find myself camping out at sunset or in the dark-rear end night, it reminds me a tiny bit of seeing the sunset at the Erudin docks for the first time, back in EQ1 so long ago. It has, just a little bit, of that magic.

For comparison's sake, I played Ark for about 2 weeks at the launch of EA and thought it was okayish but nothing to write home about, make of that what you will.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 6, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
What platform are you on? I haven't come across much in the way of bugs (1 CTD and some general jankiness with thralls) on PC but I've heard it's not so great on PS4.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
RE: falling through the floor, I found out yesterday that when I demolished a foundation under a thrall, he fell through the next layer down, but was still alive and standing on the foundation 1 layer below that. Maybe check that if you have deep foundations.

Another bug I ran into last night: My base is a little north of Asagarth, and I was running down to the Den to capture some thrall types I was having a hard time finding closer to home. My route included a tall, huge staircase down from the nearby cliffs. Dragged the first thrall up no problem. On tries 2 and 3 (level 3 blacksmith and armorer), in the course of dragging them up the staircase, they vanished off my leash and I then found a mangled corpse at the top that wasn't there before :smith: after that I found a different, longer route which was traversible by natural terrain and I got them, but still, it sucked.

Still having tons of fun with it though.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
ECO is pretty cool. AMA about accidentally joining an alt right server when I got it a year ago. (which wound up imploding, wow what a shock)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Demiurge4 posted:

ECO had a pretty shite skill system when I tried it out, I heard the system got updated recently but progression is still based on house quality and nutrition. The fact that every player needs their own house really messes with the environment as forests get clearcut super early.

I had a lot of fun playing as a forester / carpenter. I claimed some especially scenic land and kept the forest grounds beautiful and clean of debris, not just clearcut as a tree farm. It was really relaxing.

If there's interest I could spin up a goon (and/or friends) only server, I ran one for a little bit after the exodus from the other one I mentioned but we didn't have enough population to get far.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

TjyvTompa posted:

I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

thread title, please

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Last month I tried Raft again after finding out it has a modest but healthy modding scene. There was a mod that made the shark stop biting your raft after it reached a certain size which was a godsend. Before I tried just turning it off, but that got rid of the good tension from exploring underwater, but I hated the tedium of fending it off every 10 minutes without harvesting hundreds of metal. Sometimes I just want to chill on my raft and enjoy the ocean, you know?

There's a whole bunch of good QoL mods too, especially stuff like auto stash and craft from storage that smoothes over the vanilla game's worst pain points.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Panning is definitely a horseshit fallback if the RNG has screwed you though, and won't solve the basic problem since unless something is seriously bugged about your game no nuggets means there won't be any copper in the near underground either, so you'll blow all that time sitting around rolling the dice on panning over and over, finally save up enough for a pick, and then wear it out before you find any more metal.

When did you hack my system and take video captures of my first 10 hours in this game

I wound up having to travel 500 blocks to find my first actual copper nuggets, but before that I did the panning thing to get a hammer and pick like the game said to. Once I really started exploring outside my home biome, doing like game week long circular journeys, I started finding lots of copper. Then on the return leg, I happened to swim across a lake with a tiny island like 50 blocks from my base that had a bush on it, obscuring the surface, and there was some copper hiding behind it on the side away from my house. I dunno if, apart from that, I just had poo poo luck, or being in a peridotite biome is bad because either it has a lower spawn rate, or the rocks are all sorta greeny brown to begin with so copper doesn't stand out as much on them.

I wound up starting a new world once I found out this game has a modest but promising mod scene, did a few world gens just to see what it was like and on all of them I found copper within like 15 minutes of starting.

I managed to scrounge together enough materials for 1 black bronze pick, so I'm about to roam the land looking for an actual source of alloy materials. I've already found a zinc deposit, and some surface silver in the middle of a quartz patch. Not really sure what sort of biome I should be hunting for for best results.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 13, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Have there been any major new systems or other features added to Stationeers after 2019 to make it worth revisiting? Last time I played, I had a pretty complete base, with a system that could automatically manage every gas in the game and all the prior steps that implies. I didn't see anything left to do at that point and have set it aside since.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

moot the hopple posted:

From the gameplay vids I've seen, I think I would enjoy the crunchiness of the crafting system but I'm not a big fan of voxels or the night time spawning enemies. Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll bookmark it as a maybe.

I'm finishing up a 60 hour run pretty satisfied with it, avoiding nighttime enemies is easy as nerdpoling up 3 blocks and plopping down your bed on top. You can also edit a certain JSON file to make them (virtually) never spawn under normal circumstances. Especially with some mods to add content, it's the closest thing to URW that isn't URW.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Nope, just check out the official mods site, there are some things to fill gaps in the base game without getting too crazy.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The game isn't exactly bad but it's not good. It doesn't need to go full Factorio but it needs to add a little bit more complexity to just something, anything. As far as I can tell in the few hours I gave it, there's no real change in resource distribution anywhere to make exploration mechanically rewarding, you're either out on the surface finding the same common resources, or you're in a wreck and finding one of like 3 rare ones in a chest. Or maybe you got lucky and found a chest out just in a sand dune. Exploring was sort of fun from a visual variety perspective. Not up to Subnautica levels, not that much is.

If they made the terraforming a little bit more complex and made the biomes more mechanically distinct it would go a long way, because I was having fun right up to the instant I realized the entire world was identical and all the tools/machines were simple tier 1, 2, 3 type upgrades. Give the biomes more resource variety, different environmental effects on your character, maybe some light metroidvania type elements similar to depth upgrades / prawn suit and this could be good. Maybe it does do that and I just didn't stick around long enough, if anyone finished the demo and can report back let me know, because if it's just an issue of poor early pacing I could be persuaded to dive back in.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 28, 2022

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Planet Crafters is one of those games that isn't good now but certainly could be, so I think a lot of us are hoping its part of the 10% of early access games that actually makes that transition.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah I put in an hour or two, seems promising so far. Long Dark comparisons are pretty apt.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Black Griffon posted:

Right on, thanks. Should I adjust general combat stats (HP and so on) or is the game pretty well balanced outside the drifters?

Definitely agree with what the other poster said about the drifters, they are mostly boring.

I think most of the combat stats were reasonable outside of that for dealing with animals, but I thought the low tier armor's durability was so low as to be pointless. Felt like it was gone in 3 hits. Maybe boost their durability by 50-100% or something like that.

edit: I just skimmed the post and see they have the same complaint I do about armor, heh. Yeah armor durability is dogshit for how much it costs.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Black Griffon posted:

Anyway, sounds like the final adjustment I should do in the world customization is up the tool durability to %300.

If you can separately change armor and tool durability I'd recommend that. I thought tool durability was fine for the most part. The early ones break pretty often, but it felt fine for the pace of the game, and getting metal tools later feels really good. 300% across the board would probably be negative for the overall experience for me personally.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, when I played I had it set up to only allow wildlife on the surface. It still felt really good and not cheaty because night in VS gets dark and wandering around areas you don't know well is dangerous for very natural reasons without involving monsters. But areas you know well (your base) are perfectly safe at night apart from the occasional stray predator.

The solution to food spoilage on MP is (apparently) to leave your fields unharvested, since it'll stay ripe indefinitely.

Definitely give some thought to playing for a few hours at first, then going and grabbing a bunch of mods that sound good to you once you know what you like or don't. Some of them require a world reset but it's worth doing so if you're enjoying your time with the game.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Big Scary Owl posted:

poo poo if I had known I would have marked the spot where I found the nuggets earlier :doh:
I'll look around and see if I can find some clay. The Rust World seems interesting but it doesn't seem like a good time lol. Thank you for the tips!

Also don't forget to make a cellar, as it extends food shelf life and it multiplicatively stacks with things like crock pots. I think it needs to be below ground (this part might be wrong but building it underground is certainly easier at first), and definitely needs to be fully sealed (no windows, door up the exit or just make do with temporarily blocking it off with dirt) with no strong light sources. The little oil lamps are fine.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh, that's a cool little trick.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

SexyBlindfold posted:

The one advice I can give is not to rule out the possibility of stocking up certain resources exclusively from merchants (or other players, if you're in MP). If you have a merchant right next to your base and a handful more within a day's travel or less, you're pretty much set up to make ungodly amounts of gears after a little while of dedicated crafting (selling lanterns, gems and some clothing items tends to be quite profitable, but my guy accepts bread so I made a six-oven kitchen that basically bakes money). The merchant prices seem steep at first but I've saved incalculable hours of mining and grinding by buying nearly all my bronze tools, plus lime and salt.

Also if you've already started mechanization you should get yourself a helve hammer, it's basically plate hammering on autopilot. The one negative is it doesn't store the output when done (or churn it out from a predictable direction so you can funnel it into a chest, like a blocked quern does) so you'll have to be around to pick it up when it's done.

e: anyway here's what I've been chiseling:

That's pretty cool. I never got into the chiseling in VS, is it possible to break those blocks and replace them somewhere else, or does every chiseled piece have to be worked on site?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, reasonable (less than a half day's journey) distance to a decent trader is one of the biggest pros for a potential base site.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's also worth noting that despite the lo fi aesthetic, it has probably the most convincing depiction of darkness I've seen in a game, and it fits perfectly with the gameplay. Very immersive.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

khy posted:

More than anything I want a 3D FPS survival crafting game where I build structures that other NPCs move into and I can build up a town. Give me NPCs that move into houses and I will spend hours, days, and more constructing the perfect village for them.

That game looks like it MIGHT just appeal to me.

So about that:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1898300/ASKA/

Not available yet. Looks like Valheim x Rimworld, small scale co-op multiplayer survival, viking theme, but you build a village and somehow recruit NPC villagers to do stuff for you? Premise sounds amazing, with any luck maybe this will be the next unicorn.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
That's okay. I experienced the pure joy of being the dude who likes just doing a bunch of mining / crafting, and my exploring friends got to experience the fun of running over the many, many, unmarked mining holes dotted around the base.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Vintage Story is probably the best Cozy House Building Simulator out there. You actually need the functionality of a house (shelter, warmth, storage, food preparation / preservation, etc), and the building has *some* basic mechanical requirements while still being permissive enough to allow for creativity.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
While the base game doesn't have it (last I checked anyway), there are some mods that add things like salting / smoking / drying meat to VS. It's not on the same scale compared to URW, but it's pretty easy to let meat rot and go to waste if you just hunt stuff without any planning on how you're going to usefully dispose of it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I mucked around in Return to Moria solo for just under the 2 hour limit before deciding it wasn't worth it. My 2 biggest beefs (beeves?) with it are:

1) The survival/craft-y aspects I found basic to the point of wondering why they didn't just make this an ARPG or something instead.
2) The combat (at least at the start) is also very basic, but the game throws enemy waves that respawn way too fast and it just made me get sick of dealing with them. I guess it's good that it isn't an ARPG.

There are some other minor quibbles too, some of which others touched on. If you are *really* into LOTR, or maybe want a pretty but simple game, I could see having a good time with it. Would probably be good for / with kids or something.

Maybe all this changes with more playtime, but at this point, survival crafters have to make a good case within that 2 hour window. Been burned too many times.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 10, 2023

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Wolves and bears are dangerous but they aren't that ubiquitous normally, and usually their spawns will have a defined area you can avoid once you get a feel for it. Sucks that it was so close to spawn for you. The way I usually handle then is to carry around 3 spears and kite them on open ground, while retrieving thrown spears unarmored. If you aren't ready to tackle them, just run the instant you notice one as mentioned

I don't play with drifters enabled or temp storms since they suck IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
While I get why that's a drag to most people, I really enjoy the sense of scale. Emerging after that first winter, having prepared all season to go on a month long expedition to distant lands to retrieve new seeds / saplings / do serious large scale prospecting is pretty cool in my book. I'm also a sucker for sailing around the slow way in Valheim though so YMMV on that.